Nods news , A fixorage happened

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Nods news , A fixorage happened

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Found some really early piccys of my first car , taken 13/9/82 i hadnt even passed my test then . note the CB aeriel , all the rage back then. Image
Formally known as " Noddy "
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

8)

Heard the stories from Dave about this car. Fancy wiring loom, full length webasto 998 etc. Great to finally see some nice piccies of it.

Pitty it doesn't look quite like this now :cry: . I think you should rescue it and bring her back to life :wink: :D

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

some early piccys of the Vusky , first one is as was from the scrappy , the rest are its transformation to twin headlights.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

a bit more. :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

and finally :D :D all done in feb 1991.

[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Just to complete the set heres a couple of early piccys of our singer . top one taken on canford heath ,Poole around 1988 . the other person is the now Dorset ACO Chas and his very rapid 875 Imp fitted with an R17 cam . the bottom pic is the Singer one week after i got her, taken in 1987. Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

My stepdaughters first car , a rare mk3 Cali bought for £180 and driven daily for four years . god knows what happened to it once she sold it on. Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

A couple of real barn finds , Chammy was saved and sold on ( where are you now) blue super beyond repair and scrapped . both bought for £50 each , those were the days .
Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Some more from the past , Top left is a sport owned by a mate but used briefly by me , worst handling imp ive ever driven. top right is a super i owned and used for a short time bought for £75 and sold for £150 about 12 years ago . bottom left is ARX my old stiletto , now owned by vince at its last ever national capesthorne hall i think . last one is one of the 20 or so ive scrapped.

Image[/img]
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

I've got a load more of Peter's to upload... sadly my home PC is still giving me horrendous problems and is destined for landfill shortly (sorry, I mean it will be recycled in an environmentally sound manner).

After pay day, a new PC will be entering our lives and so I can finally get the rest of Peter's pics upped.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

A small selection of dead and dying Imps that my poor neighbours have had to put with whilst i chop them up :cry:

Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

deleted
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Noddy wrote:A small selection of dead and dying Imps that my poor neighbours have had to put with whilst i chop them up :cry:
Don't forget this one too Dave. The alledged Hartwell GT :cry: :cry:

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

A couple more from the past , The Husky was rescued from a scrappy and sold on to an Imp club member , i believe he used it for a few years then scrapped it , the 65 Imp was also sold on and is still awaiting restoration.

Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Thanks Basil imp , the above stiletto was my stepdaughters second car and thrashed mersilessly for a few years . it didnt look like this mind and has now been restored by its current owner.I never took any piccys of it while we had it , hence basil imps contribution. :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Done a quick repair on the rear wing of the Singer today , not perfect but it will do for now. :D

oops a big hole :shock:

All welded up :D :D

done :lol: :D

Image[/img]
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

No ,it was a proper repair panel . Fit was not good however and it took a LOT of faffing around to make it fit , Anyway it now fits fine authough not perfect its good enough , just need to spend a little more time on the final finishing. :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

A piccy of the singer taken today as limjamrace wanted to see some more , taken for FJ ins really :D Due to finance ive taken her off the road at present and may have to sell her if things dont improve sometime soon. :cry:

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Very much so , long story involving the original bracket dropping off , so screwed no plate to grill which rotted away , so i stuck it to one side must be 12 years ago now , been there ever since , never moved it back. :shock:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

whilst the sites been off ive finally sorted out my Churchell tool collection and mounted them on a decent board ,
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Changed all four shocks on the Vusky on saturday , all of the old ones worked fine but were very old . Rears were second hand when fitted in 91 . Fronts were fitted at national in 98 , thing is i only changed them as the old ones were really rusty and i had some old blue paint so to use it up i sprayed up the new ones ( Audi metalic blue ) Vusky passed the MOT two weeks ago on the old ones but having fitted the new ones WHAT a difference , smoother ride and better cornering . Do shocks loose something over time so that whilst they still are fine and up to MOT standard , they just dont work as well . :?: I always thought the rears were proper Van ones but looking at the part no. they seem to have been sport ones. Proper Van ones are now fitted , may be thats the difference.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys motors

Heres a few piccys of Steves rusty Husky . i did put some in the album but thats gone for now , hes posted these to me and so ive stuck um in here.
first one is its tow from where its been to Steves garage , second one is the floor :shock: final one is what happened when he cut the A posts :o :o :shock:

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Decided to take the Singer to national this year , first time its been since 02 i think , anyway ive been asked to do a photo shoot for a mag on the 7th July re comparisons with a Hornet which ive agreed to to , they wanted a standard one but mine plainly isnt , ive told them the mods and they seemed happy so we will see. Il have to get the polish out .
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Well the photo shoot for the magazine is tomarrow , im being put up against a wosley Hornet and a Ford Angila 1200 super , we appear to be doing this on a golf course ( they probs want me parked in a bunker ) il take my own camera and take piccys of them taking piccys which il post on here , wish me luck.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Well i had the photo shoot today for Classics Monthly a mindblowing 7 hours it took too. First off drive to Sherborne railway station where i met the couple with the Anglia and the photographer from there we went to Halstock ( where the Vusky used to live ) and a golf course there . loooooads of piccys of the back , side , rear and everywhere else , The journalist arrived an Hour or so late with the Hornet owners following , whilst they were having their car photographed i had to take said journalist on a 25 mile trip so he could get the feel of a Chamois , then sarnies and tea ( all paid for by them ) and then a trip up the road to a local reservoir for more piccys and then finally a moving shot with the three of us following the journalist with the photographer in the boot of a Merc clicking away , Not entirly legal i feel. Still great day out , Mags the October issue on sale in Sept sometime. :D :D

impmann

Post by impmann »

A fine publication sir... with a decent pedigree :wink:

Only 7 hours... not bad. These things take time. Lots of time. I've spent more hours holding umbrellas over photographers on windswept airfields than I care to think about. Great fun :roll:
Tim Morgan
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

As it was windy we had to hold the flashlights steady for what seemed ages , must have started and moved the Singer 50 or more times today as he moved us about and took turns with each car , good job she hot starts instantly every time , dead chuffed with how she put up with today , ready for national i feel. :D :D :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Fitted a pair of the Australian quaterlight seals yesterday , fitted fairly well although its still a real pig of a job to do. :D
Found a page of trade it in the passenger door dated 6th-12th May 1992 , must be the last time i looked in the door. :o :shock:

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Busy busy again , Finally have got around to finishing off the new rear wishbones for the Vusky today at work . Its had standard saloon ones fitted for quite a few years now after the original ones rotted through , ive used sport ones and seam welded them all the way around the edge as well as repairing the handbrake cable guides , finished the welding the other day , now they have been sandblasted and painted , just need new poly bushes which il get at national and there ready to go on . :D :D PS if it gets here on time il be wearing a small noddy pin badge at national so you who do not know me can say hello or avoid me and i can get embarased wearing it :oops:
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 »

Noddy wrote:Fitted a pair of the Australian quaterlight seals yesterday , fitted fairly well although its still a real pig of a job to do. :D
Found a page of trade it in the passenger door dated 6th-12th May 1992 , must be the last time i looked in the door. :o :shock:

Seals look good. Btw, what are those seats, Dave? Nice side bolsters. Look good.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Just a little note to myself really , total miles too and from national 786 miles , oil used exactly 1 litre ( more thrown out the rear scroll than burnt , not good ) water used zero :D :D .mpg calculated properly on return trip only 37.77. problems two , wheels out of balance ( forgot to get them done but sorted in York , and the tailgate latch cracked in half ( replaced at national ) not bad really .
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Well ive finally managed to gather all the bits needed for a rebuild of the Vuskys rear suspension , .Ive seam welded up some sport wishbones , made up one new handbrake cable guide , sandblasted and powdercoated them at work, fitted new polly bushes , got some NOS early Van rear springs ( although there was a disagrement between a couple of suppliers as to wether green striped ones were early Van or possibly Husky :o :?: ) and some NOS spring top rubbers , just got to find time to fit em now :shock:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Just changed the OSR trailing arm / spring on the Vusky in four hours flat , just got to do tother side tomarrow and bleed the brakes , Baz those trailing arms you require are yours as soon as the other side is done. :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Finally finished changing the rear trailing arms on the Vusky , a right royal pain in the buttocks the job is too , still all done and working perfectly , ride hight has increased by 10mm at the back so the NOS springs seem better than the old ones. :D makes the rest of the underneath look untidy though .

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Took the Singer out for a blast today , first time out since Castle Coombe :o , on the way home on the 303 decided to try the flat out thing , something i rarely do , result 6,700rpm in forth giving a speedo reeding of just above 90 , held it for about a mile , temp gauge in the middle , oil pressue 55 psi , ( janspeeds silly little tab for the front bracket snapped off , but who cares) , WELL CHUFFED. :D :D :D Not bad for a boggo L4 ( except for twin SUs ) that i wrenched from a scrapper 4 years ago , i havnt even had the head off . :D :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Ive got 175/60/13s fitted , so i suspect its not 100.5 mph , would be interesting to know what the speed was though , the rev counter is very accurate so this would be a good indication of flat out. :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Twas in the Singer , not the Vusky , still im well happy , shame the Vusky wont do the same though , a bit too brick like i feel. :D
paulchin

Post by paulchin »

Dave - I thought your Singer was a 998 - or am I now the one not paying attention?

Saw your car the other day (well okay, April :roll: ) on the way out of Stoke under Ham (you were pulling out of the garage between Stoke and Yeovil I think, just past Stanchester school) - beeped and flashed (much to my wife's annoyance!) then realised a) you don't know me, and b) I was in a Mondeo. Never mind...
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Had a play today , finally decided to get rid of the original washer jet holes as its been on the bonnet for years , next stage is to respray the bonnet and front grill the original colour . Very happy with the result

You can just see the old rubber blanking gronnets on here

All welded up and now in primer

all done :D :D

ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

How did you fill the holes, Noddy? I have some aerial holes to fill on mine, see. Did you weld plates in somehow?

Nice job, by the way! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
HARTWELL MK1
Club Member: No
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

When filling holes like this, don't try to seam around the hole in one go , as your scuttle will resemble a piece of corregated iron., instead weld it in spots in say 6 -8 spots, and then fill it over with a metalic grade filler.
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Seeing as theres talk of a personalised section id thought id list the Singers mods , partly for my own records coz im beginning to forget what ive done. :o :shock:
interior , full roll cage , custom made front seats , Chamois coupe rear seats , extra dials ( rev counter , clock , full face oil pressure ) , home made black perspex sunvisors , gear lever lock , door pocket kick plates , handbrake lever gator , export locking rear window stays , cosmic window prop , mk3 burgendy door panels , seatbelt retractors , formula full dish steering wheel with one off centre , rear pocket full covers ,
exterior , halogen headlights ( sidelights in headlights full orange front export indicators ), rootes fog lamps , Chamois sport side wraparound trim extended over engine lid ( one off ), sport engine lid , US spec rear bumper with Stiletto number plate lights , blanked off washer jet holes , jet on bonnet ( electric ), bonnet matt black but soon to revert to original colour ,
engine standard L4 but with twin SU carbs , Austin 1100 expansion bottle , home made alloy carb under tray , alternator , electric fuel pump.
suspension MK3 low pivot front , montes all round , seem welded sport rear trailing arms , allycat 13 inch wheels ,
bound to be something ive forgotten hence the list :D
impmann

Post by impmann »

To add:
  • All red rear lamps
    Respaced number plate lamps
    Viva disc brakes
And thats just without thinking about it too much.

Jeez this anorak is chafing... :lol:
Tim Morgan
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Tim, the rear indicators are now ambre again to "erm " match the all ambre fronts and the discs have gone to get the allycats on , im fairly sure ive completely stuffed the warrentee though. :shock: :shock: :o :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

:o :? UMM NO :!:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys motors -- annoying rattle

Well the Vuskys had a reeeeeeeeeeeally annoying rattle for a year or so now so today i decided enough was enough and to find it once and for all, started by emptying the boot of junk , no joy , so then it was a case of tightening every bolt and screw on or near the dash and in the boot i could find , turned out to be two of the three heater mounting bolts loose causing the washers to rattle about , also found three door pocket screws missing on the passengers door , two loose holding the dash in , one holding down the wiper motor and the glove box catch loose , silence is golden as it seems to have stopped it , Me thinks the Vusky has decided to fall apart all on its own. :o :shock: :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Nice sunny day so decided to respray the Vuskys wheels as they were looking a little " tyred " :lol: . Did them in Rover arum white , a sort of old english white / cream , i think they look great . :D

Now ive got rid of the rattles i can now hear a whistle or maybe a squeek :? , rather high pitched , not related to engine revs and only above 40mph , thought it could be brakes so checked them all , theres no binding and the sound doesnt alter when you brake , any ideas , its driving me NUTS :roll: Dont think its wind related either , ive even tried turning off the engine whilst driving , oh and it doesnt alter the faster you go either :? :?
impmann

Post by impmann »

Speedo cable needing a drop of oil?
Tim Morgan
tim sears

Post by tim sears »

Noddy
Could it be the rear wheel bearing seal,I had a new seal that did this. I always remember to put a bit of grease on them now.
Tim
1963 deluxe
1965 deluxe Nessa's
1967 cali Demelza's
1967 cali Rosie's
1967 cali
1968 Husky
1973 Clan
1967 Sport
1970 Super
1968 Stiletto
impmann

Post by impmann »

You may do better with some spray grease (chain lube for motorbikes) :idea:
Tim Morgan