Nods news , Sometimes its the little things .

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Nods news , " In tank fuel filter " from bobbycham fitte

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey I like that! 8)

When / where are they for sale?

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Nods news , " In tank fuel filter " from bobbycham fitte

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Hey I like that! 8)

When / where are they for sale?

Clan004
I believe thats the plan bobbychamp has in mind , im just testing its OK - as I did with Mike Dents ignition system - im Mr Guinea Pig :lol:
Formally known as " Noddy "
Lotus-e-Clan

Re: Nods news ," In tank fuel filter " from bobbycham fitted

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Ah! I see.

S'pose the fuel will run out a tad early given the shoulder on the magnet ..need to test for that obviously! :)

Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Ah! I see.

S'pose the fuel will run out a tad early given the shoulder on the magnet ..need to test for that obviously! :)

Clan004
I think it will run out before it runs out but not by much , without chopping a tank up or measuring it its tricky to tell
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Ah! I see.

Clan004
I think it will run out before it runs out but not by much , without chopping a tank up or measuring it its tricky to tell
Simply put: - What I would do is to see if the car stops with the fuel gauge still showing fuel. If that happens then a tech note should be included with each filter device to explain that fuel will run out and the car will stop before the gauge shows empty. Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

John Ross has one fitted and the tanks coming out tomorrow , hes going to try and measure the difference - TBH if the fuel got that low youd probably stop going up a hill :lol:
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:John Ross has one fitted and the tanks coming out tomorrow , hes going to try and measure the difference - TBH if the fuel got that low youd probably stop going up a hill :lol:
Good point. But proper testing uphill and down Dale will put minds at rest! :) Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Back to the gauge pipe

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Having changed the oil pressure gauge pipe block fitting and re-routed the gauge pipe is was pointed out the clips " could " wear through the pipe in time so this morning ive sorted this out ,
The original bottom clip was too small ( still no idea what it was for ) so ive replaced it with a slightly larger one then sleeved the pipe where the clips hold it .
Also did the three tabs that hold the wiring in place .
In case you wish to do the same I used the rubber sleeves removed from single bullet connectors slit length wise for the oil pipe and the double ones ( i just slid the rubber sleeve off ) for the tabs :)
Attachments
45381849_10217942004281381_1897879050907549696_n.jpg
45479172_10217942004721392_8427720819760693248_n.jpg
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Re: Nods news , Back to the oil gauge pipe .

Post by The Nun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Thing is they didnt seem to bother about it might wear away on the original installation, as that was just held using the loom securing tabs to hold it in place, and it never seemed to wear away, just went brittle with time and then broke off at the engine connection.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:42 pm

The Nun wrote:Thing is they didnt seem to bother about it might wear away on the original installation, as that was just held using the loom securing tabs to hold it in place, and it never seemed to wear away, just went brittle with time and then broke off at the engine connection.
All that flexing with engine movement i suspect , hence me doing this latest mod
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

In other news the Singers running perfectly and having done 40 odd miles the new angled gauge fitting appears to be leak free . :D
Thats about it Singer wise for this year although i will of course carry on using it as often as possible .
If anything does get changed / altered / modded / broken il post it on here as usual .
And of course il report on anything re. the new tank filter and Mikes ignition system .

Have a pic from Yesterdays trip out to the Bristol classic car show, :)
Attachments
IMG_0504.JPG
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Dave, I just caught up on your wonderful thread. Keep up the brilliant work! Your cars are an inspiration! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Post by African Imp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 am

The Nun wrote:Thing is they didnt seem to bother about it might wear away on the original installation, as that was just held using the loom securing tabs to hold it in place, and it never seemed to wear away, just went brittle with time and then broke off at the engine connection.
All that flexing with engine movement i suspect , hence me doing this latest mod
Dave I fitted a new pipe and took the feed from that large center fitting in the side of the block. I used a number of sections of shrink tube around the exit union to support the plastic pipe, then took it towards the coil and then up and into the wire loom that crosses the top of the engine bay, then into the side panel and on to the dash, its worked out fine :D
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

I think the reason it broke eventually, OK it was brittleness but the pipe coming straight out rather than at 90 degrees it can get in the way sometimes when plug changing, clutch bleeding etc its easy to catch it or snag it as you work which can't help matters
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm

The Nun wrote:
I think the reason it broke eventually, OK it was brittleness but the pipe coming straight out rather than at 90 degrees it can get in the way sometimes when plug changing, clutch bleeding etc its easy to catch it or snag it as you work which can't help matters

The Clan's oil pressure pipe seems to be bomb proof.

Same material as the fuel pipe - a very tough thin-walled black plastic tube.

Mine are well-over 40 years old and showing no signs of degradation....but don't tell David Attenborough! :shock:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote: The Clan's oil pressure pipe seems to be bomb proof.

Mine are well-over 40 years old and showing no signs of degradation....but don't tell David Attenborough! :shock:
Mines been changed although that was 20 odd years ago , fractured on the joint where the bend is / was , i guess the added expense of a 90˚ bend was just too much for Rootes ,
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:22 am

Lotus-e-Clan wrote: The Clan's oil pressure pipe seems to be bomb proof.

Mines been changed although that was 20 odd years ago , fractured on the joint where the bend is / was , i guess the added expense of a 90˚ bend was just too much for Rootes ,
Dave, my 1967 Singer Chamois had the oil pipe take off on the opposite side to the picture just posted, so below the oil filler neck, but on the block, not the cylinder head. I assume that was as the factory fitted them? it never gave any bothers and it was still there when I sold the car in January 2015.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 am

If you mean the oil pressure gauge is taken off the PUMP oil gallery (above picture) which is located PRE-filter, then the readings will be up to 7psi higher when hot (and 14 psi higher when cold) compared to a take off from a gallery which is located post-filter (like the centre main bearing or head gallery take off).

In other words there is typically a (hot) pressure drop of 7 psi across a modern cartridge filter using 20w/50 oil (probably less with the larger pore original filters in above picture).

The preset oil pressure relief value needs to be accounted for when assessing max pressure - but not idle pressure obviously.

If you wanted to fool a purchaser that the hot idle oil pressure is healthier than it really is, then you might use a pre-filter take-off point ...
Clan004
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 am

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Image

If you mean the oil pressure gauge is taken off the PUMP oil gallery (above picture) which is located PRE-filter, then the readings will be up to 7psi higher when hot (and 14 psi higher when cold) compared to a take off from a gallery which is located post-filter (like the centre main bearing or head gallery take off).

In other words there is typically a (hot) pressure drop of 7 psi across a modern cartridge filter using 20w/50 oil (probably less with the larger pore original filters in above picture).

Obviously the preset oil pressure relief value needs to be accounted for when assessing max pressure - but not idle pressure obviously.

If you wanted to fool a purchaser that the hot idle oil pressure is healthier than it really is, then you might use a pre-filter take-off point ...
Clan004
Yes, that is where the take of was and I assume may still be, as I sold the car three plus years back.

Where di Rootes take the supply from on a Singer Chamois normally?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am

The 1967 Imp Californian has the take off for the oil pressure gauge on the center of the block, it goes from there up and around the coil and then along the wire loom on the top of the engine panel.

I have removed the vacuum pipe from the distributor to improve the picture.
Attachments
Oil pipe take off.JPG
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Bought some new check strap stuff from ebay , 1 1/4 X 4mm Balata strap .
Really strong stuff - well happy :D
Attachments
46305267_10218032980675734_7333773777383194624_n.jpg
46350380_10218032981035743_2415908512610648064_n.jpg
46443381_10218032981875764_5211070467183476736_n.jpg
Last edited by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , New check straps fitted+tank filter update

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:43 pm

And now back to the in tank filter I fitted from Bobbycham .
There has been a few comments and worries on wether the extra height of the magnet and filter means you run out before you actually run out if that makes sense .
Some testing has been done and the difference in useable fuel is less than 1/2 a litre , in other words you will run out less than 1/2 litre sooner than normal and maybe loose a few miles total range .
Lets face it if your running that low you fully deserve to grind to an uncompromising stop anyway :lol:
Checking filter in and tank out the filter is covered with just a litre of fuel , mainly because the centre base of the tank is lower anyway .
Most gauges show empty with a few litres still in . It has too otherwise the float would hit the bottom of the tank and jam up and lets be honest they are hardly accurate down to a few millilitres :roll: .
Ive noticed no difference in fuel supply , my leccy pumps not working any harder or sounding stressed by the extra filter .
Its also been reported to me that another car that did have fuel issues whereby crap being held over tank exit pipe until vac released caused it to stop . Apparently none so far since fitting and a complete success in curing these fuel issues without having to pull a tank and blast/clean/coat it !
So is this worth it
Id say most certainly it is , it also keeps the main pipe clear which has caused numerous issues in the past on many Imps .
Basically its passed my and others testing and is recommended :D
Bobbycham

Re: Nods news , New check straps fitted+ tank filter update

Post by Bobbycham » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 am

THANKS for testing the internal fuel tank filter Dave , all looks good , and has cured long standing fuel starvation problems on another Imp in testing .
I have a batch made now , l just need to tweak the instructions paperwork.
This is an item that is basically "fit and forget" and as far as l know hasn't been available for Imps before .
I will put ad in "for sale " section on forum and also in Impressions when l'm ready.

Should anyone need more information before l do that , feel free to contact me via PM or
mail me on bobpicton@outlook.com.
There are still a few windscreen washer replacement kits available ,should anyone be interested.

Thanks again Dave & others involved in testing .

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 am

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:Bought some new check strap stuff from ebay , 1 1/4 X 4mm Balata strap .
Really strong stuff - well happy :D
Dave, looks good.

I did a similar fit back in 1971/2 when I raced a Mk1 998cc race Imp here in Cape Town. The road springs were heated and compressed by 2'" all round, Van Zyls Spring Works did the work.

The check straps we never a source of worry and the car was fast and competitive in its class.
Attachments
75 F at speed,Killarney.jpg
75 F at speed,Killarney.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 129066 times
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 am

Bobbycham wrote:I will put ad in "for sale " section on forum and also in Impressions when l'm ready.

Bob Imp005
Excellent. Just send m an ad for the mag when you're ready.

I'll have one for sure, looks a no-brainer.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:45 pm

I'll have one too. ~1/2~ litre less fuel tank capacity within 27 litres total is no big deal. That last 1/2 litre will contain concentrated 'fines' that you don't want through your fuel pipe anyway!
Clan004
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

After fitting the anti slosh valve in the filler neck for when I'm competing, I think I would have one of those filters too. (Any small fines / rust would stick to the magnet and be easy to remove too).

Let me know when you have a price for the kit.

Oli
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 am

Boring tiny Singer update number 27 .
As the washers and wipers are now interlinked a new switch label was needed
Instead of just screen washers ive gone for a symbol saying both :)
End of boring update :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0553.JPG
New tag with wash / wipe as a symbol
DSCF6349.JPG
Old tag
The Nun

Re: Nods news , Tiny Boring update , new bit fitted.

Post by The Nun » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:10 pm

The stainless strip on the parcel shelf is also an addition isnt it?
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm

The Nun wrote:The stainless strip on the parcel shelf is also an addition isnt it?
Yep , someone had drilled a 4mm hole in it before i got the car , strip hides this well but did mean more holes - only smaller - looks OK I think :)
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Never boring Dave. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Seeing those pic's (lovely) , isn't or shouldn't there be a particular side that number plates are fitted when not central to vehicle.
Not being finicky am l?

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:52 pm

The Nun wrote:The stainless strip on the parcel shelf is also an addition isnt it?
Yep , someone had drilled a 4mm hole in it before i got the car , strip hides this well but did mean more holes - only smaller - looks OK I think :)
I like and may copy your stainless steel strip on my Californian and on the same side. Imp027
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Well the Singer is 19,721 days old - or 54 years if you want to make it easier and is now the same as me for a short time
Im sure the shell was built and painted weeks or maybe months before as the body number is well over 1000 higher than the chassis number so its really just an assembly day and the day it actually came a whole car .
The odds of any car surviving this long is slim let alone still having its original sills and arches and a fair bit of original paint .
:o
Attachments
48420485_10218331214251387_3693088274403819520_n.jpg
48424611_10218331226051682_24925559234494464_n.jpg
Bobbycham

Re: Nods news , Singers getting older.

Post by Bobbycham » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Don't remember that scene in Ice Cold in Alex, or Carry On Cleopatra. :lol:

Bob Imp005
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:25 am

Bobbycham wrote:Don't remember that scene in Ice Cold in Alex, or Carry On Cleopatra. :lol:

Bob Imp005
Wrong continent! Going by the angle and direction of the sun it's clearly the Atacama desert. :wink:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:36 am

Don't forget Weston Super Mares just a stones throw away, but can't see any mud ,so doubt it's there!
The first picture shows you could have jet washed your drive Dave , not just the car. :lol:

Bob Imp005
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Dave cars still looking great better with age , I was wondering about the body number should all cars have one or was it just early ones mines a 68 and couldn't find a number where is it supposed to be?
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:11 am

My fave shot at the same location
Attachments
IMG_0391.JPG
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 am

tiker wrote:Hi Dave cars still looking great better with age , I was wondering about the body number should all cars have one or was it just early ones mines a 68 and couldn't find a number where is it supposed to be?
Its on the front panel , R/H side on the upright where the wing meets the front , il get a pic later for you.