Nods news , Sometimes its the little things .

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

617sqn
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Re: Noddys natterings , Singer actually gets some use

Post by 617sqn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 pm

I'd miss to too Dave, if only because I could show you some other wiring that isn't up to your standard :lol:

You just don't want the added expense of buying that beer, I know. The lengths some people will go to to get out of buying someone a pint ............ :roll:

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Noddys natterings , I iz experimenting again

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 pm

With exhaust mounts .
Ive noticed no matter how smooth the tick over is theres a lot of vibration through the exhaust manifold and box , whilst the exhaust is steady on tickover i can see all this vibration doing the exhaust and more expensively the manifold no good whatsoever .
So for a play around i knocked up a rubber damped exhaust bracket from a piece of old factory chair and an inner track rod end , you can see from the pictures what ive done , the only thing you cant see is the sleeve i fitted inside the bush to make the hole smaller to except the 5/16th unf bolt

The vibration on tick over has all but vanished completely so it really does work
The only downside I can see is that the track rod bush isnt going to be very happy in all that heat , certainly isnt going to catch fire but i cant see it lasting too long TBH.
Il weld the parts together and do away with the small bolt , this is just a trial but it deffo does work

Am I completely mad or what :lol: :lol: :lol:

Formally known as " Noddy "
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Re: Noddys natterings ,I iz experimenting again !!!

Post by bks974c » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Can you not turn it around so the bush is at the top - will need a longer stud though.

Scott
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Am I completely mad
The funny thing is, Dave, you actually expect an answer to that :mrgreen: Good bit of inventive work though ............ idle hands :roll:

Andy G. Image
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm

bks974c wrote:Can you not turn it around so the bush is at the top - will need a longer stud though.

Scott
I tried that but strangely its doesn,t take out so much vibration so it has to be at the box end,
Perhaps a poly bush might work although what they are like in heat ive no idea , probably worst at a guess .
It needs a bit of thinking about but im stunned at the lack of vibration especially on the manifold :D
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Dave, you can already buy polybush exhaust hangers, mate. Like the doughnut shaped things/figure of 8 style. So I'd guess they can cope with a bit of heat !

Andy G. Image
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:49 pm

617sqn wrote:Dave, you can already buy polybush exhaust hangers, mate. Like the doughnut shaped things/figure of 8 style. So I'd guess they can cope with a bit of heat !

Andy G. Image
Il get some from uncle Malc in that case , has to be worth a shot
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Superflex do proper poly bushes for imp inner track rod ends , could be the way forward :)

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=318
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 pm

But a polybush will squeek, and have different damping characterics to a rubber bush! :o :o :o
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
LLF 519 sept 63 imp Williams car age 7
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Good idea, Noddy. :idea: The vast majority of car exhaust systems are suspended on rubber bobbins, so why not on your, eh? :wink: Glad it works!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys natterings ,Vusky compression test .

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:45 pm

For as long as ive had the Vusky its always been slower than the Singer , didnt really matter what engine was in it , its just slower

Nick AKA Meltdown on here has been down this weekend and had a drive of both cars
Singer is nigh on perfect but the Vusky whilst really happy to rev its nuts off was as usual much slower. It seems willing but not able :lol:
Both are L4s Singers is plus 20 and the Vusky is plus 30 , both have twin SUs fitted.
So this afternoon i did a comp test to see just how knackered it is , I tested it 4 times in total

Cylinder number---------------1----------------------2--------------------3-------------------4--
Cold , Dry , WOT -------------180psi--------------- 180psi -------------180psi ------------- 180psi
Cold , Wet , WOT--------------210psi----------------200psi--------------200psi---------------210psi
Hot , Dry , WOT--------------200psi---------------- 190psi-------------190psi----------------190psi
Hot , Wet , WOT--------------200psi-----------------210psi--------------205psi---------------200psi

As the comp ratio did rise when tested wet there is obviously some wear , also this is a cheap tester so the figures cant be guarenteed as accurate . I did notice the engine turned over much quicker when hot .
Doesnt seen that bad after all , plugs all run a caramel colour which i think is OK. I built this engine 15 0r so years ago so i cant moan too much
So im left with ignition advance curve or the things put on way too much weight after the restall mod and is technically morbidly obese . :lol:
:?
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Re: Noddys natterings Vusky compression test

Post by impmann » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Could it just be simple aerodynamics?
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm

impmann wrote:Could it just be simple aerodynamics?
Good point , does it even have aerodynamics :lol:
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 pm

My first thoughts before seeing your numbers. Must have some bearing on things though. Imp is a bit block shaped in saloon form. Add a bit more height and another block at the arse-end and Bob's yer uncle, a slower vehicle. Maybe.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
Duk
Car Model: 70' stupidlow super, 74' not so low super

Post by Duk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Wonder if they're the secret inspiration for the volvo 850 estates handling better than the saloons :lol:
MRG 734G - Deceased!
FYL 900J - Still being welded!
JKO 15N - Sharkmouth
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 am

We weren't going fast enough for the wind resistance of chocolate bars to have an effect!
The Singer is a delight to drive, it's as if one's reading a period road test and confirming that the steering is indeed precise and responsive, the gearchanges are truly that good and the ride is just fine thank you very much. Add the instant unhesitating throttle and it's clear this is a 'well sorted' car!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:56 am

The IMP saloon is more aerodynamic than the Coupe for starters, the saloon has less of a drag factor due to the shape of the roof/rear window relief at the back.
Thats why an Imp Sport has a better 0 to 60 time than a Stiletto, like for like.
So what looks streamline isnt always streamline.

Although obviously I would think a Transit van wouldnt be so aerodynamic as a Ferrari
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 am

Meltdown wrote:The Singer is a delight to drive, it's as if one's reading a period road test and confirming that the steering is indeed precise and responsive, the gearchanges are truly that good and the ride is just fine thank you very much. Add the instant unhesitating throttle and it's clear this is a 'well sorted' car!
Thanks Nick , glad you think its OK.

Back to the rubber mounted exhaust experiment. Ive currently got a track rod inner bush in the oven at work , theory is 160 degrees C for 3 hours should tell me if the bush will survive for any lenght of time --------- or not :lol:
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Noddy

If I understand it correctly, you have put a rubber mount on the strut from the 'box to the engine?

I did the same (albeit on an across the back carbon m/c silencer) and after a long high speed run it shook the stuffing out of the box! I removed the rubber mount to make the system rigidly mounted to the engine and no problems since. The engine and box may seem to vibrate more when you look at it with the car stationary, but the system is in harmony which is less destructive in operation on the longer runs (ie when you are not looking at it). A different kettle of fish if the exhaust has to connect to bodywork ...only then do you need flexible mounts and flexible joints in the system and usually the system is far longer so can absorb more energy without destroying itself.

Or have I misunderstood what you have mounted to what?

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Noddy

If I understand it correctly, you have put a rubber mount on the strut from the 'box to the engine?

I did the same (albeit on an across the back carbon m/c silencer) and after a long high speed run it shook the stuffing out of the box! I removed the rubber mount to make the system rigidly mounted to the engine and no problems since. The engine and box may seem to vibrate more when you look at it with the car stationary, but the system is in harmony which is less destructive in operation on the longer runs (ie when you are not looking at it). A different kettle of fish if the exhaust has to connect to bodywork ...only then do you need flexible mounts and flexible joints in the system and usually the system is far longer so can absorb more energy without destroying itself.

Or have I misunderstood what you have mounted to what?

Clan004
Pete youve got it correct.
Heres my theory and it is just that.
Janspeed boxes are cacking heavy and are only held on in three places , the manifold clamp and the strut top and bottom , the strut is fitted on one side of the box only which seems to make things worst.
Ive had the box on both cars work loose many times , sometimes just the strut end but sometimes the whole thing has basically vibrated loose.
This idea is basically a possible way of removing or at least dampening some of the vibrations that seem to cause this.
It is very true the exhaust has to be held rigid to the engine which is why ive used an inner track rod end bush , on the steering its only there to remove vibration , theres no real give in it , there cant be or the tracking will wander every time you turn the steering wheel.
When Touching the exhaust box whilst the engine is ticking over before there was a lot of vibration even though the exhaust wasnt moving , now with the bush fitted this has significantly decreased .
I make sure there is NO strain on the manifold whatsoever , in other words if you have to push the box up or down by even a few mm to fit the strut then theres added strain on the now expensive manifold.
The bush survived the oven cooking well so i think this idea might be a success .
Time will tell i guess .
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm

OK. Point taken. Got to admit that the exhaust rubber bobbin I used will definitely have much more vibe potential than a track rod bush so effectively you have created a different dynamic compared to my situation. 8)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:OK. Point taken. Got to admit that the exhaust rubber bobbin I used will definitely have much more vibe potential than a track rod bush so effectively you have created a different dynamic compared to my situation. 8)
Am i barking up the wrong tree though , it makes sense in my tiny mind but what say you
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Noddy wrote:... it makes sense in my tiny mind but what say you
I think Jedi Master Yoda would have answered: Trust the force. :)
And I'm sure he hasn't got even half of your experience in Imps. :wink:
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

"Suck it and see" is wot my dad always told me ... so nowt wrong with suckers in my book! :lol:

Seery arsely though, like i said, mine was a different set up and the devil, as always, is in the detail ...not least that the carbon m/c box is not as heavily made as a Janspeed (so bound to fall apart) and 'twas at the end of a long link pipe too - vibe is amplified a tad.

And 'tis true Lars, my imp experience was only with a 66 deluxe from 1970 to 76 followed by a 71 Stiletto from 76 to 1980... then i lost the plot and went clanward. :lol:

Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Just niticed the Vuskys exhaust box is loose again as well.

bloomin zorsts :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sorted the Vuskys Zorst , goes a heck of a lot better too.
I suspect the back pressure , or lack of might have upset things somewhat
Its weird that im doing the exhaust mounts and then checking the Vuskys compression due to lack of oomph and the issues are linked

Scary stuff :o
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 am

Vusky wasn't overly noisy, but then we did have the windows open. New test drive required :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:27 am

Meltdown wrote:Vusky wasn't overly noisy, but then we did have the windows open. New test drive required :D
It is better , ive fitted a track rod end bracket on this one as well , vibration has again all but gone , we will see how they hold but , ive still got the original brackets anyway should there be a problem. :)
Both are now welded rather than using the small bolt .
The Nun

Re: Noddys natterings , zorst brackets done

Post by The Nun » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Wonder if the MOT man will be testing the rod end for play next time? :wink:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys natterings , Vusky wheel colour , ideas please

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 am

The Nun wrote:Wonder if the MOT man will be testing the rod end for play next time? :wink:
Probably :lol:

Anyway i want to change the colour of the wheels on the Vusky as im bored with cream

Any ideas , anyone good with photoshop :?:
Maybe grey or black or :?: :?:
kilty

Post by kilty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:26 am

The lightest Blue colour you can find on a Rootes-mobile would go well I reckon.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:40 am

This is what the colour wheel says:
Blue is a cool color by nature, and it works well with pretty much any other cool tone: gray, purple, even black. Using color combinations like these will give your car a sense of stability and calm. (good for high cross winds) :lol:
For higher contrast—and a bolder look—use a warm accent color, like red or yellow.
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 am

I saw a gorgeous T25 camper in Devon that was a similar blue, but had pastel yellow wheels (really, really pale - think cream with a hint of yellow). It looked *really* 60s and really cool. I wish I'd taken a picture now...
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 am

Ive seen yellow covers with a smiley face on them too, or how about a picture of Noddy?? :lol:
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 pm

how about a picture of Noddy?
GOOD GRIEF, NOOOOOOOO ! :o :o

Just kiddin', Dave. Anyway, you aren't allowed to frighten young kids these days, so you'd get arrested :wink:

Andy G. Image
classiccapsule
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Post by classiccapsule » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 am

Gotto to be red innit?
Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am

Agree with red but has to be the same shade as the seats.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
kilty

Post by kilty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 am

Renew the seat covers! Sorted! :P
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

classiccapsule wrote:Image

Gotto to be red innit?
That is just scary :shock: :o