904 XZL,The Scabby Stilleto*-more stuff done

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: supaimpy

904 XZL,The Scabby Stilleto*-more stuff done

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Having seen some of the great cars on the site,I thought I'd put up a bit about mine,a somewhat shabby Stilleto. :)

I grew up in Glasgow and my first car was a white Stilleto.I have many great memories of that car.She ended up a 998 with webers.I had a couple of uncles and there was a few old guys I knew worked in Linwood,so parts were not a problem.
Nowadays I live in Ireland.A couple of years ago,I was wandering round a classic car show and found a Stilleto for sale,the first I had seen since mine.
I met up with the owner and a week or so later she was mine.

That's when the fun began.This was,without doubt,the most unreliable car I've ever had. :? The engine cooked itself.I rebuilt an engine from the spares the guy gave us.It blew too.The rad was replaced at the same time and the water pump,the clutch disintegrated,the box locked up,etc,etc,etc...
The car wasn't being thrashed,herself was using it for going to town and for wee jaunts around the place,but every time we went out,it broke down.
The problems were aggravated by the fact that the postal service here can mean sometimes waiting months for parts to arrive.
We had picked up a few bits at Imp 04,but when she broke again,I decided to make a few changes.
Last edited by big J on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big J

Club Member: No

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:07 pm

I talked to a few racers I knew,and had a K series Rover engine lined up,but it blew the head gasket.
I was then told about the Peugeot/Citroen TU motor,all alloy,tough and cheap to buy.
The plan was hatched,a tu it would be.
Some time later,I found 2 engines in a field.The guy had cut up the cars and just left the motors.

Here's a comparison of the motors.

Obviously,the tu is a fair bit taller,but it's also a good 2" shorter.

With an old box shoved against the motor,it looks like it might work.

Looks like the starter might just fit too.

Last edited by big J on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
big J

Postby GeForce Junky » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm

There you go :D
Last edited by GeForce Junky on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeForce Junky

Club Member: Yes

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Hopefully this will show the reinforcing I welded in the back.It's 3mm steel,so it should be strong enough.

Wahaaaay!Thanks lads,I was clicking the wrong code thing.

:roll: :lol:
Last edited by big J on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Right,back to the tale!Many thanks guys,thats fantastic.

Hokaaay,so I rebuilt one engine out of the two I found in the field.Gave the inlets a very mild clean up and a 3 angle valve job.
To mate the motor and box,I ...er...found a bit of 1/2" plate and started with that.Eventually,after a lot of head scratching,they were one.
I used a racing MG Midget clutch plate,I just ground away the outside where it was slightly too big.
After taking a deep breath,me and the ankle grinder got stuck in and cut a hole in the back of the car.The panel right below the window just disintegrated when I removed the trim,but that can wait til I do the bodywork,I want to see if I can get this to work first.

big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:27 pm

This had took quite a while to get to this stage.I had tried to have the Imp clutch plate remade and there were various other hold ups,finding out stuff can take weeks when you dont have much free time.

Anyhow,I got a radiator from the scrappy,it's from a Nissan,dont know which one,it was lying on a shelf.I fitted it in the front and went back to the scrappy and got as many 1" and1 1/8" hoses as I could lay my hands on.
With some 1" copper pipe,I plumbed in the front rad.
The header tank is from a VW T25 bus.It was temporarily mounted on bits of an old road sign.Image

big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:39 pm

So by this time,the car had to be moved from my daughters place where the pics were taken,so the thrash was on.
The wiring was done to get it running and the plumbing clipped up.
There are 3 holes in the tu inlet manifold.I had mistakenly thought one was to let the water out.I'm filling up the cooling system and water appears out the plug holes!WTF?????. :shock:
So I thought it must be a porous block or something weird so I said to the daughters boyfriend-sod it,drain the water and we'll see if the thing will even run.
That was when I clocked my mistake.
I got Jessy to crank the motor over--bahoom--the water explodes out the plug holes all over the interior of the car.She nearly shat a brick!! :lol: :lol:
And then,unbelievably,with the plugs in,it goes first time!!!
Could not get the clutch to work though.
So,in the end,I had to tow her back to my house.
Have to say,it sounds good.The exhaust comprises of the stock downpipes,a 90 deg bend from the end of a Transit exhaust and a race can off a Gixxer 750.
big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 pm

So,the clutch. :?
At the moment,I've got the AX GT cover plate and the Midget plate.
I dont know how I missed it,but obviously with the adaptor plate,the arm is having to travel too far.
I welded a bit of pipe onto an old Imp release bearing which was in turn welded onto an early VW Beetle release bearing.This was to take up the extra space.
I was trying to make a Toyota Carina slave cyl fit in place.It's only 3" long,but despite cutting and bending the release arm and cornering the world market in small,irregularly shaped pieces of 8mm steel for a mounting bracket,I just dont have the room behind the block.

I'm currently waiting on a Wilwood slave cylinder arriving.This pulls instead of pushing and I should be able to mount it on top of the box.
big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:53 pm

So,there y'go.
I hope nobody takes too much offence at me cutting up a Stilleto.
If there's any questions or comments I'll do my best to answer them.
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Where in Ireland are you from big J, were you at Mosney yesterday? :wink:
A MC EVOY

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:10 pm

A MC EVOY wrote:Where in Ireland are you from big J, were you at Mosney yesterday? :wink:

I was indeed,were you there too?

Funnily enough,that's where i bought the car a few years ago. :D

I'm in Laytown,Co Meath,just up the road from there.
big J

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:55 pm

No car there.I had completely forgot the show was on,saw the signs on my way home from work.
Nice cars!I was talking to the guy with the Californian,nice fella from over Kells way.I dont know whether he managed to sell it tho.
I didnt see Johns Imp at all,I was looking for it on the Celtic club stand. :roll:
Some show,it gets bigger every year.
Managed to pick up a Haynes manual for the Imp. :)
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm

John's Imp was at the Irish Vintage scene stand, I was over talking to the ed, and I'm going to be contributing in the near future...
A MC EVOY

Postby cov_climax » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:07 pm

Looking good,

Re: your clutch slave cylinder problems, i know pimpdriver was looking into an astra or zafira (not sure which) cylinder which sits inside the bellhousing, is concentric with the input shaft and pushes the release bearing directly, he was making this fit an imp box. I'm sure a similar set-up would get you round the problem if the wilwood item doesn't suit.

Keep up the good work

Regards
Brian
cov_climax

Car Model: Super

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:15 pm

cov_climax wrote:Looking good,

Re: your clutch slave cylinder problems, i know pimpdriver was looking into an astra or zafira (not sure which) cylinder which sits inside the bellhousing, is concentric with the input shaft and pushes the release bearing directly, he was making this fit an imp box. I'm sure a similar set-up would get you round the problem if the wilwood item doesn't suit.

Keep up the good work

Regards
Brian

Thats interesting.I would assume that the box would have to be dismantled for welding(?)to mount the slave.Sounds like a better idea than the pull type slave,thats for sure.Do you have any pics?
Cheers
John.
big J

Postby cov_climax » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 pm

big J wrote:Thats interesting.I would assume that the box would have to be dismantled for welding(?)to mount the slave.Sounds like a better idea than the pull type slave,thats for sure.Do you have any pics?
Cheers
John.

No, i think there is a thick alloy plate that is shaped to fit inside the alloy bellhousing, if memory serves it is secured by the bolt that notmally holds the release arm. I think the intent was it could be fitted to any 'box without having to dismantle it.
If you wanted greater security you could remove the bellhousing from the transaxle (a fairly easy job) and drill extra holes to hold the plate. Like i say i've not done the job myself so don't know the full in's and out's.

I'm sure eric said it was a vauxhall item but i cant find the exact one on the ebay, so here is a couple of links to similar items to give you the jist (not sure if they're suitable - have to make your own mind up on that)

Have a look at these items on ebay

Obviously better if you can get the release bearing that matches the slave cylinder and i would have thought all will be the roller bearing type these days which is another plus point.

Cheers
Brian
cov_climax

Car Model: Super

Postby big J » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks Brian.Those look like a better job all right.

Now that I've ordered the Wilwood slave,I'll give it a go first.

The bellhousing is indeed easy to remove,it's resetting the pinion lash again afterwards thats a pain. :D

Does Eric use this forum?It'd be good to see a pic of his setup.

Thanks

John.
big J

Postby big J » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Just a wee update.
Got the Wilwood slave cyl mounted,here on the spare box

Made a new inlet manifold to fit the carbs.I would have been quite happy to keep the original carb,but it wouldnt fit

I also picked up a manifold cheap out the bay.

The comp rotoflexes are on,the Fiesta disc conversion is fitted,hopefully the clutch will now work.Getting there,slowly.
big J

Postby big J » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Wee update.
Not much happening,but a little progress made.
Made a new bracket for the header tank.The welders gone back,so it's a nuts , bolts job.

I tried to get some ally for a rad shroud,but all I could buy was an 8 x 4 sheet,too big.In the wardrobe accessories bit of B&Q, they have ally angle and small sheets of ally.

The tanks been modified with a larger,forward facing outlet and I've fitted a bike fuel pump and filter in the spare wheel well.

So,slow progress,but still,a bit done anyway.

Cheers

John
big J

Re: 904 XZL,The Scabby Stilleto*

Postby cooch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Just curious have you completed this project
cooch

Car Model: hillman imp super

Postby big J » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Sadly not yet,Cooch.Sent the gearbox away to be rebuilt with strengthening plates,steel diff pin,etc.Still waiting months later.I was told 10 days to 2 weeks. :roll: Fairly pissed off,to put it mildly.If I'm to make the national,I've still got to get the car rolling roaded to check the jetting,book the ferry,book time off work,etc,etc.
The engine starts and runs,I've got the Fiesta discs on,Protech dampers on the way for the back,I'm ready to get tore in.I've bought a mig to tidy up the body after she's running right.

Just waiting,waiting,.................

Col Rooney has very kindly offered to donate a gearbox,which I should get early July,so stand by for updates.
big J

Postby Blackjack » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Big J

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? I'm almost as far North as you can go, therefore possibly a fair jaunt away from you, but if it helps you complete the car in time for the National I think I have a transaxle I was told is good that you can borrow until you get your own. It might save you postage costs on Colins box and allow you to collect it at the National.
If it would help I can try and dig it out for you,I don't think my Stiletto is going to need it soon. :(

Regards

Jack
Don't always do what you do best sometimes do the best that you can do.
Blackjack

Postby big J » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks for the kind offer,Jack.Cols brother Dan is racing at Anglesea and will get it off Col there,so no postage costs to worry about!
(It may seem strange to those of you on the mainland,but we regularly get raped with postage.My rear dampers cost £35 to be sent here. :shock: )
Sadly there is no alternative,if we want it,we have to pay.

Whats happening with your Stilleto?Need a hand with anything?

Edit-btw,I'm in Laytown,just South of Drogheda.
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:54 pm

It's a whole year, I take it you were a spectator at Mosney again on Sunday? :lol:

If there's owt I can do to help, give me a shout :wink:
A MC EVOY

Postby big J » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Had to work,unfortunately,so I didnt make it this year.

Thanks for the offer,I'll yell if I need a hand. :D
big J

Postby Blackjack » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:25 am

Hi Big J

I live 3 miles outside Coleraine on the North coast.
The Stiletto hasn't changed except I investigated the holey floor to find its not there :)
I love offers of help but when I mention things like cutting grass (lots of grass), replacing fascia and soffit, fencing, kerbing, concreting, taxi-ing and amusing three kids (wife works evenings) everyone wisely disappears :lol:
Seriously I have a couple of other projects to finish (2 stock cars to build) and then I hope to make a start during our more liquid summer weather when outside maintenance work is called off by the Minister of Home Affairs. :D
I'm loath to start stripping her out until I'm sure I can devote a few weeks solid graft because she drives at the minute and I have done that pull apart and lose half the fasteners and bits and bobs thing over a two or three year period before :cry:
If you manage to make the National and I want anything specific that you might be able to pick up while your over I might give you a shout.

Regards

Jack
Don't always do what you do best sometimes do the best that you can do.
Blackjack

Postby cooch » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Glad to see i'm not the only one interested in this project,will be watching eagerly.
sorry to far away to cut grass.
cooch

Car Model: hillman imp super

Postby nrs91 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:36 pm

ace car mate
i was just wondering how the Perkins Prima 2l TDi (rover montego) would go in a HImp
with 80bhp with an easy 100-120bhp and with 50-70 mpg in the rover...it should be brill in a HImp
what height is the engine from crank to top? how long is it? and how much width do you have with front rad?
thanks
Nick
Thanks
Nick

NRSTEGGEL
nrs91

Car Model: .

Postby big J » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Thought I'd better update this before it becomes history. :lol:

Today was a good day,I've recently managed to get a shed,3 of us share it.Finally I dont have to work in the street. :D This afternoon,I had visitors!
Frank came down with his Rally Californian and Niall brought his saloon.Cracking cars both,had a wee spin in them.Soooo good to be out in an Imp again.Image

But what of Scabby,I hear you ask?Well,things have been slow,but they're still movingon a bit.
Gordini box and Citroen bellhousing being sized up
Scabby living up to his name :D
Halfway through fitting the cage,many thanks to Ian from Newcastle Co Wicklow for this.

Glacial progress,but things are starting to speed up again
big J

Postby colin rooney » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Nice to see you got a workshop john keep up the good work now

col
colin rooney

Postby big J » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Will do! :lol:
big J

Postby big J » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:09 am

Got a bit more done this weekend.Pulled the engine and box and al the suspension out the back so I could start work on the crossmember.
I was sweatin about getting the crossmember bolts out,but a few hours and every swear word I know,repeated like a mantra,and we're away. :D
Incredibly,there's not a hint of rust!Given that the roofs rotten,I reckon this cars lived upside down.
I stuck the crossmember back in and took some measurements.
Crossmember back out and bolted solidly to the floor.I want to see how the Gordini box fits.It doesent.
So,a couple of incisions later and it's in about where I want it.I used threaded rod to centre it and square it up.
I'll have to make new mounts and trim the back of the car a bit,it's tight with the linkage in there too.No steel left so I'll get some during the week.
Fun times. :D
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:29 pm

You, sir, are a genius!

Please tell me I can have a spin in that when it's done! :D
A MC EVOY

Postby big J » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:16 pm

Np problem Alex,I'll come and visit. :D

Dunno about genius,although I've had several descriptions applied to me.Genius isnt one I recall. :lol:
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Well Alex isn't a name I've been called either :P

My name is really Stephen, don't ask why my username is A.... :shock:

Sure I'll have my 1100 at mosney in June (cos of COURSE it'll be done by then....) :lol:
A MC EVOY

Postby big J » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Doh!!!!! :oops:

Got mixed up,I used to have a pal called Alex McEvoy.

If it all comes together,I'll have Scabby at Mosney.

I wont say what year,tho :lol:
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Good idea that, never specify a year ;)

I bought my car in August 07, said I'd have it done for Kilbroney (which was scheduled for 1st weekend in september) but as it was cancelled and so was 08 and it isn't happening any more nobody can say i didn't have it ready :lol:
A MC EVOY

Postby big J » Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Well,we're still goin :D
I had to move,the lads I shared with had to pull out,so I'm on my own again.Shifting all your stuff takes a lot longer than you'd think,then there's all the "where the hell did I put that??" moments. :lol:
The box now fits,not a 5 minute bolt in,sadly
Halfway through modifying and strengthening the crossmember
Stuck into place :D
Trailing arms reinforced,many thanks to Mike(Moose) for the help
Front seamwelded
Roof repairs

Naturally and inevitably,given the state of the roof,it's distorted a bit.
I'll have to learn how to shrink metal.

To Infinity...................... :)
big J

Postby A MC EVOY » Wed May 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Good work that man!

Must be the first time I've seen someone tackle new sections on a roof skin, brave man, I thought doing door skins was risky :lol:

Need to get the finger out for Mosney now, June 7th :p 1100 will be there, there, a challenge for you :wink:
A MC EVOY

Postby ImpManiac » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

GENIUS! :D Nice work, big J! A Gordini 5-speeder in an Imp! Who'd have thought it! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ImpManiac

Car Model: Singer Chamois

Next

Return to Readers Cars