BHP 789K super imp - the answer stares me in the face

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

cov_climax
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Super

BHP 789K super imp - the answer stares me in the face

Post by cov_climax » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:13 pm

With all the recent interest in Readers Cars, I thought it was time to update you all on my imp. I guess it’s quite a well known car now (?) but I never seem to get to many events or round to posting much on this forum so here goes……..

It's not been out of the garage since October last year as I decided I was going to get round to fitting the fuel injection stuff I’d been slowly acquiring. I've been fairly quiet on this as I like to see if things work before I open my mouth and I like the element of surprise - turning up to our Area centre running on EFI last night was one of those moments. :-)

Winding the clock back 8 months - i bought some pressed 38mm bends from custom chrome and a manifold flange form Eric (pimpdriver) to make up the inlet manifold. The bends were rubbish for making an exhaust but ideal for what I wanted; they were severely crushed which actually saved me some work creating the tapered inlet stubs, though I still had to cut a wedge out of them and weld it up to create the taper from 38mm down to 25mm followed by a lot of fettling - it took me about a month to get the manifold sorted. I hadn't got the bike inlet coupling rubbers for the throttle bodies so I made sure the inlet stubs lined up perfectly with the Suzuki GSXR 600 throttle bodies. I used some silicone tubing and slim hose clips to connect it all together.
The crank pulley and trigger wheel had been done by several people on this forum previously, but as i was just getting it running at this point i didn't want the extra expense of an alloy pulley, i bought a trigger wheel from trigger-wheels.com and machined it to suit the imp pulley. I made a bracket for the sensor from a bit of stainless sheet and blanked off the old distributor aperture. The timing was finalized at 90deg BTDC and the trigger wheel welded in place.

The Fuel tank now houses a surge pot and Suzuki GSXR injection pump. The surge pot is a 3" diameter tube which is the full height of the tank, it has a few small holes in the bottom to let the fuel into the pot but hopefully not out when cornering. The tube and flange to suit the pump were welded together and then into a DRY tank - it had been empty and vented for over 4 years that I knew about so it wouldn't go bang!
The tank was leak tested with air pressure at about 1.5psi above atmospheric, ( don't go mad here as it started ballooning on the top at one stage!) with the air pressure in the tank i applied soapy water to all my welds and looked for air bubbling, after welding up any leaks i had it blasted and powdercoated. It took me 4 hours and about 5 gallons of paraffin/petrol to clean the tank out of blasting media afterwards. A tip here put old nuts and bolts in to loosen any flaky internal rust/paint then keep flush through with fuel, strain the fuel with paper towel in a funnel when you drain it to see how much debris comes out - also you can then re-use the fuel for rinsing. Keep doing this until you are happy that tank is clean, injection pumps don’t like muck and there's no chance of putting a filter up-stream, they won't last long with a mucky supply.

I'm running a single high pressure fuel line (as per the bike) though the car has a return line installed just in-case it doesn't work, i'll let you know if this set-up proves reliable, with the miles I’ve done so far it would seem ideal for a road car but I’ve not done any energetic driving to see how it fares with moderate forces.

That's most of the fabrication issues sorted so it was 'just' a case of fitting it all back up, another process which has taken about 3 months. I used a new tandem bike brake for the throttle along with a v-brake noodle to link up with the mechanism on the GSXR bodies

Air filter was bought at the stoneleigh kit-car show and is apparently what TTS use in bike engine'd cars, anyway it is just big enough though i did have to make up a couple of brackets to hold it on as the 'bodies don't have any spare threads. Like Si Trickett - i might look at a cold air feed one day, but lots of other jobs are higher on the priority first.

I made a new wiring loom for the injection, i grouped all the sensitive wiring and have run this separately to the other engine bay wiring, the injector and coil wires are in the main loom along with starter, alternator wiring etc.

I used a 2nd generation ford coil pack which is nice and small (and cost me a tenner of the bay) along with ford plug leads which i chopped down for a start, though I’ve just got a set of new ones from magnecor which are superb.
I decided to go for an Emerald ECU as I’ve never heard a bad thing said about them, for the money they have a lot of features and despite making all the injection stuff micro-electronics is not my strong point; i didn't fancy another 2 weeks soldering up a meggasquirt unit. I wired up the ECU in about 4 evenings and finally started it up last Sunday, a big thanks to help from Si Trickett with getting my PC to talk to the ECU, Si also sent me some maps - which with a bit of scaling of the injection map to compensate for different injector flow, i have got it drivable, though it's quite rich on fuelling.

The greatest thing I’ve noticed instantly is how steady the idle is and when you approach a junction it keeps running! - I was always chasing vacuum leaks from the manifold gasket on my previous 28/36 (necessitating heal and toe at junctions to keep it running), with the Injection it's much improved, the idle speed hardly falters when depressing the clutch either :-)

I did a bit mapping on Monday on the way home from work! but the inactivity of the imp over the last 8 months had taken it's toll, one of the donuts cried enough - luckily i spotted it before catastrophic failure. I planned to go to my area meeting on Thursday (last night) un-announced running on the EFI so I got on the phone to Ben Boult for some new ones which i picked up on Wednesday evening. The infamous James Hill (blown imp) dropped by last night as he's moved just down the road, I've not met James before and within minutes of arriving he was tasked with passing spanners as i changed the donuts before we went to the Leicester imp meeting.

There's still lots of tidying up to do and I’ll try and put a few updates on as things progress.
As always a big thanks to those of you who've helped out; particularly the regulars from Leicester Area centre and Si Trickett.

Hope I’ve not ranted on and bored too many people on a Friday afternoon, but though you'd like an update ;-)

Cheers
Brian
Last edited by cov_climax on Tue May 20, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Very, very nice, Brian! :D Makes me want to get my EFI conversion underway.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Basildon310
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by Basildon310 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Superb Brian!

IMHO this is THE best modified Imp around :D :D :D And its even better in the flesh, so to speak :wink:

Ben
Prepare to be shocked by the Slamois!

1967 Singer Chamois Coupe F1 ;-), 1968 Bond 875 Ranger Van
Big imp
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp

Post by Big imp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Very nice Bri, you have been busy wish i could have been there to see it :wink: .your car looks sweet in that photo and it looks to be sitting a bit lower at the front have you droped it a bit more since i last saw it? keep up the good work mate. hope to see it soon
Dean,
If it don't rub it ain't low enough
skamanfrank
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Post by skamanfrank » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:27 pm

Wow! What a star car!

Look forward to seeing this at some point. Seeing this really makes me want to have a go at some sort of EFi stuff! Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue where to start :( One day....!

Gorgeous car! (I take it this is the car in the top right of the page?)
Cheers
Frank
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Top job !!!

Saw this car at Ally Pally last year where the decision was made to go Imping. Having seen what you'd done I decided an Imp was definitely the way forward.

More power to your elbow, and your rear wheels!

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Damn, I wish we'd managed to get there last night... :roll:

Looking great, Bri. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
cov_climax

A couple more pictures

Post by cov_climax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks for the kind words people, as you can probably understand these things take a while to evolve and it's not like just bolting a conversion kit on :lol: i daren't think of how many hours i've put into it. It took 3 years of 20hrs a week to build the shell and i've jsut spent another 6 months putting the EFI on it. If you were building another one then it would be quicker as the ideas and development are already inplace - but suppose it keeps me out of the pub!
it looks to be sitting a bit lower at the front have you droped it a bit more since i last saw it?
You've caught me out there Dean, top photo is about 3 years ago :oops:, i've not changed the ride height for a while and the MOT is due soon so would struggle to get on ramp :D
Gorgeous car! (I take it this is the car in the top right of the page?)
Yep, Frank it is that one
Top job !!!

Saw this car at Ally Pally last year where the decision was made to go Imping. Having seen what you'd done I decided an Imp was definitely the way forward.

More power to your elbow, and your rear wheels!

Baz
Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time over the ally pally weekend - it was a last minute decision to get the car there on the friday and on the sunday i think i was tied up with family comitments so didn't get there until about 3.30pm, would have loved to chat to people about it. Main thing is that it inspired you (and Rich?) to get into imps, BTW Rich, your track car is evolving into a real nice modded beast too.
Damn, I wish we'd managed to get there last night...

Looking great, Bri.
Cheers Tim, I' heard a rumour that you were coming - you must have picked up a really old impressions, damn shame you didn't have any of our numbers to ring, perhaps see you on the fish 'n' chip run?

Here's a couple more pics for you:

New plug leads fitted, magnecor did a superb job on making these to my lengths- certainly worth the money in my eyes. (Thanks to pimpdriver on those for adding them to his own order)

Yesterday's musings were adding another shift light combined with oil pressure warning light - might have to add another resister to dim it, as it just about scorches your retina when they light up :roll: wasn't totally convinced it is the right place (top right of tacho) but i'd drilled the hole in the dash by then.

Cheers
Brian
sunstrip_steve

Post by sunstrip_steve » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:52 am

Bri,

You need a nice shiny expansion tank like on Si's old sport though. That plastic one just spoils the whole car :wink:
timmchugh11

Post by timmchugh11 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:00 am

I just got a distinction in Engine managment systems at collage at the and i defernitly want to do it to my car!! When i look at all the injection and ignition systems, i acctually understand it :wink:

its looking great!!

cheers
tim
Last edited by timmchugh11 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:25 am

Hi Brian, i remember seeing your imp at the NEC classic car show a couple of years ago and i was amazed by its looks..... i took quite a few pics and they are on my pc. Ab freind of mine went to the lotus show at donington and saw your car there (he was also at the classic car show with me)and commented on how much of a crowd the car drew. Your car is immaculate and a credit to you! good luck with the EFI Dave
cov_climax

Post by cov_climax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:06 am

It's not about shiny alloy bits steve :wink: , but i take your point i do need to clean the oil off all the engine bay items.

Tim C, I understand EFI to the point where i can get all the hardware grafted on and my car running, the software is a little beyond me at times, too many options and the mapping is a real pan without a rolling road.
Dave Mac wrote:Hi Brian, i remember seeing your imp at the NEC classic car show a couple of years ago and i was amazed by its looks..... i took quite a few pics and they are on my pc. Ab freind of mine went to the lotus show at donington and saw your car there (he was also at the classic car show with me)and commented on how much of a crowd the car drew. Your car is immaculate and a credit to you! good luck with the EFI Dave
Cheers Dave,
i was not best pleased at lotus show, the job's-worth on the gate wouldn't let me park in the lotus only area :( , i tried to make him understand that it had a lotus engine in it :wink: (well there's a tenuous link with coventry climax) but he was having none of it. I do like how i can park next to a £40K+ motor and it draws more attention though :lol:

Cheers
Brian
Impudence126
Car Model: Imp

Post by Impudence126 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Bri,

My first acquintance with your car was in '06 at Ally Pally. The only way that I can describe it is - Awesome!!

Nice to see you are moving onto to EFI - the icing on the cake for your engine.

Val.
bazzateer

Re: A couple more pictures

Post by bazzateer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:16 pm

cov_climax wrote: Main thing is that it inspired you (and Rich?) to get into imps,
Me? yes, Rich? - well he's been in to them for a very long time, I believe his first car was an Imp (Sport?). In fact your car got me back into Imps, which got me into this club/forum, which led to my meeting Rich', so without your car (and the others at Ally Pally 06) I would not have become friends with Rich and Karen. I've a lot to thank you for! :D

Baz
GeForce Junky
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van

Post by GeForce Junky » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 am

WOW :D I haven't seen this car before and it looks amazing!
rootes

Post by rootes » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 am

looking good Bri,

how much did you have to scale the injectors by? and did you find out what your fuel pressure is running at?

Si
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
cov_climax

Post by cov_climax » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:35 pm

rootes wrote:looking good Bri,

how much did you have to scale the injectors by? and did you find out what your fuel pressure is running at?

Si
I've not done much proper or concise testing as yet, i've scaled the map about 10 times and tryed it down the road! Slowly resigning myself to having to put it on a rolling road. I've checked the synchronisation on the TB's - a real pain in the 'arris as there's one master and 3 slaves (webers have one master and one slave so much easier to do). You have to start one end and work along to get them all the same, they weren't too far out as i'd set them one the bench with a drill bit between the butterfly and housing.

I also had a check for vacuum leaks, don't know the best way for this but i waved an unlit gas torch around the manifold with the engine running, theory being a leak will draw extra fuel (the gas) in and the revs will rise. They didn't so i don't think there's any leaks :)

Haven't got access to a fuel pressure gauge so i've not managed to check the fuel pressure yet, unless someone in the midlands can help me out :?:

After that i went out for another set-up run, got it running a little better, i'm currently around 48MBPS on the injector time span with an identical map to yours (yours is 26MPBS i think), so about 180% :roll: it's running a little rich but if i lean it off to around 45MBPS then it doesn't want to go.
I think the problem is the throttle bodies are 38mm and yours are 36mm?, so in reality i'm getting more air for the same perceeved throtle opening and it needs more fuel, that and the different injector flow just makes direct scalling a tad difficult.

Going to perhaps try and get a passanger to work the laptop and map a few points on the fly to see how far addrift they are.

Cheers
Brian
rootes

Post by rootes » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Bri,

Borrow a WB sensor and use the fuel fiddler software to get your corrections..

or have a go with the target to AFR map - reckon my AFR numbers would be fine for you..

but yes after all that a trip to a rolling road will get the best..

Si
impmad2000
Car Model: Porsche 911 Targa

Post by impmad2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Haven't got access to a fuel pressure gauge so i've not managed to check the fuel pressure yet, unless someone in the midlands can help me out :?:

Going to perhaps try and get a passanger to work the laptop and map a few points on the fly to see how far addrift they are.
[/quote]
PM'd you and can also operate a laptop :)
Tim
Tim
davidhampshire01
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by davidhampshire01 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am

Just a thought Bri/Si, you have the same number of squirts per cycle? Not sure if you can choose on the emerald software but 48 mspb will give you a max injector time of over 12 millisecs which is definitely too long for one rev. Perhaps bri's ecu is squirting half as much?

Pleased to see you've got it up and running though! Are you using a pressure regulated pump (no return line)?
875i
cov_climax

Post by cov_climax » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:06 pm

davidhampshire01 wrote:Just a thought Bri/Si, you have the same number of squirts per cycle? Not sure if you can choose on the emerald software but 48 mspb will give you a max injector time of over 12 millisecs which is definitely too long for one rev. Perhaps bri's ecu is squirting half as much?

Pleased to see you've got it up and running though! Are you using a pressure regulated pump (no return line)?

Cheers David

Yes i'm running a pump with built in regulator and a single fuel high pressure line to the rail. pump is from a suzuki GSXR.

Think Si and i are running the same set-up, (batch fired injectors) the ecu software only gives the option of batched or sequential and i havent got a cam phase sensor for the latter.
I think my fuel pressure is around 40psi and Si say's his is set at 50psi. also my injectors are likely to be smaller (600cc bike) so that would explain a longer duration, though i was a bit out in my earlier post as Si actually runs 38mspb (not the 26 i previously thought) and highest map number is 102 and on the same map i was running 45mspb so about 20% more duration.

Not sure where i am with fuelling now, some places it's lean and others rich, done about 50 miles tonight (to get to a car show) and with a friend in the passanger seat on the laptop we had a real struggle to get any mapping done. Its almost impossible to hold a constant throttle position and revs long enough to fiddle with the numbers. Also i really need to get a lambda sensor on it as you can only feel the lean/rich difference when it's way out.

Think i've got to get it on a Rolling Road, but need to check a few things first, i thought it was knocking a little when i got in tonight so the crank bearings might have finally cried enough after several years of abuse :cry:

Cheers
brian
paulchin

Post by paulchin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27 am

Yes i'm running a pump with built in regulator and a single fuel high pressure line to the rail.
Sorry for the numpty question, but from what I understand, the key with EFI is to keep the pressure in the fuel rail constant. From David and Brian's last posts, I guess there are two ways of doing this:
  • with a return line, the pressure in the rail is kept constant by feeding the excess fuel back to the tank. Is the regulator on the rail with this setup?
    without a return line, the regulator (as Brian says, on/in the pump) varies the supply of fuel to the rail to keep the rail pressure constant. So there's no need to return excess fuel cos there won't be any?
Is that right? And is either method as good as t'other? Just like to understand things properly, that's all. I'm still inspired by you guys that don't just talk about it, you get on and do it!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:31 am

Paul,

Yes, you are right about EFI fuel pressure regulation. It comes in two types - one with a regulator often attached to the fuel rail (like my TBs, yet to be fitted) and one with a pump that self regulates, like the GSXR type.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
skamanfrank

Post by skamanfrank » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Just out of curiousity, what is the suspension set up in the top pic?
What springs and dampers etc are you using? And what size are the tyres?

That does look gorgeous sitting like that. Is the handling uber pants though?
Cheers
Frank
cov_climax

Post by cov_climax » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 pm

To be fair i don't run it that low, in that pic the car is parked on un-even ground giving a false impression, i also had trouble getting onto the MOT ramp (water pipes under car) so it's currently about 1/2" higher.

Suspension is LEDA coil-overs with adjustable platforms on the front, i think the springs are 220lbs and 8" long. Rear sits on similar dampers but not coil-overs, the springs are unknown, aquired them in a job lot of imp stuff but they are very stiff and short.

Handling is pretty good (-it goes where you point it), it's not too bad a ride either thanks to shorter than normal dampers so don't hit the bump-stops. Just needs more ponies to exploit it :lol:

Cheers
Brian
timmchugh11

Post by timmchugh11 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:30 pm

bit random but defintly my favorite pic of this car

http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/forum/album ... ic_id=3366
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Ill second that, Tim, 1 fantastic looking Imp
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Yup. Me three. This is an excellent Imp indeed. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
rootes

Post by rootes » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:15 pm

had a ride in this imp during IMP04 - very cool though when Bri drives it looks like it has been stolen by a 12 year old! :wink:

see:

http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/forum/album ... ic_id=3366
cov_climax

brief update

Post by cov_climax » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:14 pm

Thats a good pic (thanks to Impjimbo), i've another one which really makes me look like a 12 year old :lol: , it was taken for Practial Classics ages ago for a group feature, its in the spring 2004 eddition for those of you who hoard them.

Update on motor, engine came out tonight which took about 30mins - it's so nice and easy with the removable rear panel and engine hung from above. The purpose was to weld a lambda sensor boss in the exhaust manifold as this will be needed when i finally get to a rolling road.

last time i took the car out (2 weeks ago) i had low oil pressure below 1500revs, around 20psi, but above those revs the normal 50psi. At idle there was a slight knock too :cry: though this disapears once the revs come up.
The engine has seen less than sympathetic use over the years and i fear the crank bearings are on the way out :evil: .

So while the engine is out i decided to change the oil so drained it tonight and let it settle, no signs of bearing material so i hope the crank will last me long enough to get it mapped and to the national :roll: .

The transaxle has hadly any synchros left on second and third these days so that's coming out to be replaced with a lucky-dip item from the 17 i've got in the shed, though i'll treat it to new seals and fresh oil before it goes in.

Sump gasket is leaking too so i might whip the sump off tomorrow evening and while i'm at it look at the crank, but then again ignorance is (probably) bliss......

Cheers
Brian
bazzateer

Re: brief update

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:21 pm

cov_climax wrote:from the 17 i've got in the shed,
:shock:

Blimey! I thought the 15 spares Rich and I had was a bit much !!!

Baz
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 am

Brian I would be very surprised if you've bored anyone with these posts! (ref. first post) Very interesting and good info. I'm not a fan of Imp fuel tanks - is yours still connected to the standard filler? - so I might approach that part differently but it was very instructive.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:29 am

Brian,

Your posts are in no way boring! :wink:

I hope your engine is okay. Surely it would at least get you to the National. :?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
cov_climax

Post by cov_climax » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:42 pm

ImpManiac wrote:Brian,

Your posts are in no way boring! :wink:

I hope your engine is okay. Surely it would at least get you to the National. :?

IM 8)
Alright i'll continue babbling on then :wink: ......

John, because the front end is fibreglass i did't want the filler neck bolted to it, so i weld the standard one directly onto the tank like this:

(note also splash bowl and collection pot for fuel injection pump in the bottom of tank)

Tonight i finished cleaning the exterior of my lucky dip transaxle, what a fun job :x

BTW Baz, i've got 17 transaxles because i gave a couple away :lol: - i bought a job lot of imp bits many years ago and the chap had broken many cars for spares (it wasn't Tim before you ask) and kept vertually everything bar the shells, i had the lot for a very good price looking back.

Also this evening i put the engine on the stand and whiped the sump off, it was leaking oil from the gasket big time anyway, whilst there i pulled no 3&4 big end caps off. The shells don't look too bad, also had a look at the centre main bearing which again looked ok. Thinking back the knocking was more evident with the clutch pressed in to i decided to check the end float on the crank, i measured 8thou - the book spec is 2thou IIRC so it's a little out of spec but not major. I mic'd up the thrust washers at about 1 thou each undersize so i might salvage some from another engine (yes, i'm bodging) other than that think im going to throw it back together with a new gasket for now. The rest of the engine is, er, a little, well 'loose' to say the least and burns oil rather well, so it's not worth sticking a set of shells in without a re-bore and poss valve guides anyway... :cry:

Cheers
Brian
skamanfrank

Post by skamanfrank » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:35 pm

Right, I'm confused!

That front end looks veeeeeeeeeeery different! Please explain :D It's fiberglass you say? Whats the crack there then 'ey!? Tell me more :D
Cheers
Frank
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:11 am

Brian you have addressed the main concern with the tank then - having the rubber pipe tear or pull off and letting fuel out.

I picked up half a dozen transaxles when a local garage shut down, they had a full-wall height rack of assorted gearboxes 30' long and 12' high that didn't get a bid at the clearing sale (would have gone for scrap). The bonus was also getting a cut-away gearbox all painted up for training purposes. I normally cart it along to car shows for display (it also makes a good paperweight if it is windy!)
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:49 am

Brian
I've got some +5 thou thrusts if you need them.

Eric
cov_climax

back on the road (briefly)

Post by cov_climax » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Well monday night i managed a couple of hours on the imp, i swapped the gearbox for a lucky-dip item (more like russian roulette!) which i'd flushed with parafin and then put new seals in. I managed to replace the 'box in the car by only disturbing 3 rotaflex bolts and removing the spiders from the gearbox, it wasn't easy mind as the 'box wanted to fall off the jack. Not sure if there is space to do this on a normal imp; i've got the enlarged transmission tunnel that gives a bit more clearance :wink:

After that i put the engine back in, it's amazing how quickly the engine goes back in without the faf of all the fiddly bolts on the rear panel. multi-connectors on most of the wiring helps too, i managed to get it all connected up before i had to call it a day.

Tonight i had to finish it off by putting the fluids back in, engine oil/water and transaxle oil. oh, and i hadn't got a blank for the lambda sensor boss that i'd added to the exhaust while the engine was out. I was hoping to find a ford pinto spark plug as they are the same thread, but had to settle for a 2p coin with some exhaust sealer and a jubilee clip for now :lol:

Engine started furst turn and runs ok, a lot less oil smoke in the car but it's still burning it rater well, think curing the oil leaks has helped in the fumes department :D
However the transmission is quite noisy, i set off for a run down the road and at 5 mph i thought blimey, didn't know this was straight-cut :shock: , i don't think it is, it just VERY noisty. I think it's the input shaft bearings as it's engine speed dependant and only when under power not cruise/over-run. Shame really as it's got good synchro's on 2nd and 3rd which my previous gearbox really did not have.

never mind it's back on the road for now and off to the Coventry area chip run tomorrow if it stays dry :roll:

Cheers
Brian
bazzateer

Re: back on the road (briefly)

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:54 pm

cov_climax wrote:never mind it's back on the road for now and off to the Coventry area chip run tomorrow if it stays dry :roll: Cheers Brian
Oh go on, let it get it's toes wet! :D

Baz
cov_climax

Re: back on the road (briefly)

Post by cov_climax » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:29 pm

bazzateer wrote:
Oh go on, let it get it's toes wet! :D

Baz
Well i took it for the MOT last saturday and it was chucking it down, so Baz it's had a chance to get it's toes wet :lol:

Incidently it passed and i've also finally got round to getting this back :D

The old engine was getting very smokey (i've rambled on about it here before) so i thought it was time i progressed things.
Yes, that's right it's the engine i've been promising the car for the last 4 years :!: . I've spent a few evenings swapping over the ancileries and EFI stuff but trying not to rob bits off my old engine so i can keep it as a spare. I ended up making another dizzy blanking plate, coil pack mounting bracket (different to suit imp block instead of 930) and new adaptors for all the sensors.
I should be ready to put it in the car tomorrow afternoon and fire it up this weekend. :D

Also selected another lucky dip gearbox so fingers crossed it's a decent one. i drained the oil from the current 'box this evening and it contains a lot of metal, think that's probably the bearings then :lol:

Hopefully i will get some running-in of the engine done this weekend as I'm booked in at a rolling road to get the engine partially mapped a couple of days before the national. I will be taking the A-roads to the national to continue the runing in, could be a bit tortuious from this neck of the woods though.

Cheers
Brian