Husky A project too far ?

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Husky A project too far ?

Post by bks974c »

Finally making progress with Project Marina, this was built from a brand new shell in the early 80's to be a strpped out saloon racer to replace an A35 Van however it was put off the road while some changes to the rear axle set up and brakes were made with 1700miles on it. it never moved again for 33 years.

I've known the car since it was being built and pulled it from the owners drive and stored it for several years before agreeing to rebuild it for him, anyway he's happy the way it's progressing and he's not easy to please and gave him his next bill.
IMG_20191128_114856.jpg
So sitting last night feeling flush and with a glass of wine, Andy Jones post on Facebook he's selling a Husky for £650 which seems like a bargain so text him and say I'll take it and collect in the next couple of week as it needs gone before the New Year. I've been good this year having sold the Irish Clan and one of the Octavia's and plan on selling the Octavia Scout soon but blown it by buying this and another 4x4 Octavia Estate which I justified by the extended warranty abd service package which means I shouldn't need to get my hand dirty on it. Oh. well :lol:

It looks pretty rotten and front panel and wings have been removed oh, and it's just a shell no suspension or engine etc but does seem to have to have most of the Husky/Van specific parts. Hopefully all the years of hoarding imp bits is about to pay off, I have a pair of NOS wings and single and twin headlight front panels in used form that need lower edge repairs as well as loads of suspension, interiors, 998 engines and gearboxes.

Taking on major repairs doesn't phase me, infact I love the fabrication side not so keen on the body/paint side as it is just a grind to get it right but will do it as only way I can guarantee the standard I want.

Van i have under restoration for customer
IMG_20190428_181708.jpg
However, I have LONG queue of Imp project that have stalled of my own, as I say love the fabrication bit but stalls at the bodywork side, I'll assess the Husky when I've collected it and find out how much work is actually needed.

I'll update when it's home.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yoeddynz
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Re: I've been bad.

Post by yoeddynz »

Oooooohhhhh goody. I do love a big project thread to read so please do keep the updates and lots of photos coming!

That shape marina can look real sweet with the correct amount of 'really low' and some wide 13" wheels :-). Plus one always wind folk up by saying your marina has got lotus door handles...
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

yoeddynz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:37 amPlus one always wind folk up by saying your marina has got lotus door handles...
Not to mention the Mustang link 😉
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Aren't they Allegro handles? More street cred? :lol:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Well spotted Baz, however the Mustang badge does not indicate an engine swap for the Marina, it will use a 1300 A series, the owner does have his own hoard of rare period parts including an original 8 port head but not fitting that YET.

The badge was put on when trial fitting the grill to the Mustang with the Jaguar Engine, the current plan for it is, Twin Turbo'd straight 6. The standard grill is a horrid plastic thing about 12 inches deep and with the intercoolers up front the additional space wil be useful. We were looking for ideas when I spotted the grill off the Marina, it fitted surprisingly well.
IMG_20190114_172112.jpg
IMG_20190114_172131.jpg
Don't have any pics with the Marina grill in place but the owner thought that it worked so good enough for me.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Nice one Scott, cant have you twiddling your thumbs and getting bored now. :D

Not many Husky's up around us is there? Be good to see one running around with a 998 in the back. 8)

The Marina is looking good.
Will see you tomorrow.

Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Re: Husky Musings

Post by bks974c »

Col

I can think of a couple, Gordon Ritchie and Ian Morrison Vans - both off the road at present plus whatever Dougie Scott still has.

Anyone think of any others ?

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Despite not having even seen the Husky can't help thinking what i'll do with it.

Initially my thoughts were to fill in the side windows and turn it into a Van :shock: but now moving away from that idea and just keep it as a Husky :D

Liking them in white, thinking twin headlight in a Pearl white maybe with orange swage line as my first Imp although that was Polar white.

Its a mk 3 with the round style dash and have always thought they are a bit cheap and plasticy, I have a Mk2 non metal ended scuttle panel that I have been saving for something. Tempted to fit that along with the rally dash panel I have but create a digital dash integrated with a infotainment system.

Using full engine management will help with the above as I can use the ecu to provide the information for things like the rev counter water temp etc.
Engine 1.0 IMP engine, mild state of tune about 80 bhp with good torque.

I'd like tilt and slide front seat as Karen's Sport, when you press the release lever the seats automatically slide foward and fold down allowing easy access to the rear. I might look at using coupe rear seat's as they have a nice curved shape to them and of course inertia seat belts all round.

The Clan uses MX5 switch gear which works very well so might carry that over, just wish I had taken note of the wiring but hey, done it once can work it out again. Hazard warning light switch as fitted to all our cars not that they are ever needed :lol:

Flush fitting high level brake light in tail gate- another safety feature I like to have :roll:

Heated screen would be nice and change the heater matrix for one of the kit car ones I've used in both the Clans as sooooooooo much more efficient than the standard ones.

Loads of sound deadening and custom silencer, I'm too old or certainly will be by the time its finished for noisy cars, if I want one of them I can use the Clan :lol:

Costs nothing to dream :roll:

Scott
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

You could paint it blue and white and turn it into a ice cream van :wink:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Yes, but you'd have to have a person of small stature to sell them.

Girls suggested I paint it red with gold on the side :?

When I asked why, they put up pics of Postman Pat's Van and said I needed to get a cat and pigeon to go with it.

Scott
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli »

Scott, what alternative heater unit have you used in the Clan?
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/all-in-on ... -and-valve

Above is the one in VAK but used a different one in the Irish Clan as it has the Fiesta dash and didn't want to cut it up.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/52kw-car-heater-kit with https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/heater-ou ... -and-heat7

They do a huge amount of components to design your own.

This is new https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/cable-con ... let-plenum had it been available when I did the Irish Clan would have used it.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28674&hilit=vak&start=40 link to build see pages 2&3.

Col has fitted similar to The Pest, after I persuaded him not having a heater was a bad idea having been down that road myself. :roll:

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Oli,

This is the same heater Scott mentions fitted to my Imp under the dash ans the alternative hoses I have used to feed the vents for the windscreen demist.
Halfway down the page you will see it fitted.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12416&start=720

Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Re: Husky A project too far ?

Post by bks974c »

Went down to Manchester today and picked up Husky from Andy Jones, 450 mile round trip/ 12 hours although only just under 8 actually driving.

Dropped it back at the shed and had a look over it, the screen pillars are shot along with the A pillar, floor and rear cross member area are non existent, wheel tubs shot and that's the good bits :lol:

However it's a Husky which makes it quite rare so worth fixing but I think it needs a donor shell to graft onto the Husky bits, thankfully I have experience of this as building a Van for a customer.

The plan now is after I get the V5 to brace the shell and then cut off the bits I won't be using, find somewhere to put it and then keep an eye out for a suitable shell but no hurry as already too many unfinished Imp projects.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Had a closer look at the Husky and it doesn't get any better, the roof is barely attached to the rest of the car :o

However the Van is much the same. :shock:

So standing looking at it, thinking it would look better with a reduced roof line. Less Van with windows. :roll:

So browsing I come across this, along with pics of Karen's Sport on the same site.
https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.c ... estate.jpg

https://www.pinterest.at/pin/5696350528 ... al-search/
So the factory had the same idea :D , lower half pure Van/Husky but not liking the rear hatch area, thinking the Van/Husky rear door works well which should be able to be cut down with custom glass.

The roof has a swage line which looks like it would be a good place to cut and weld in a 90 degree flange dropping it about 2 inches or 50mm for our Continental friends , potential for a one off that the factory should have built :?:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

The Estate prototype is supposed to be date from 1964 and possibly predates the Van, if you look at the roof line on the Van it does look like 2 inches have been added to raise the roof to accommodate the Milk Churns :roll: compared to the Estate which has a similar profile and ribbing.

Click on and zoom in to see what I mean.

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

The photo above Scott, is that what you have bought?

Are you thinking of making the Imp Estate from what you have then? Can an Avenger estate tailgate be used for this or would it be too wide, wrong shape?? Just a thought.

Interested to see how you do this :wink:
Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

I wish, pic from internet showing the roof swage line/extension where I'm thinking of cutting to reduce the roof line

Too ashamed to take photos of mine :oops:

Probably simplest plan is to cut down the standard rear door :roll:; partially because I don't quite understand the thinking behind modern estates with sloping backs as it reduces the carrying capacity with no gain apart from aesthetics.

Scott