Costin Walker F3/F4 Imp Rebuild

Smokey mow
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Costin Walker JW4 (Imp based single seater)

Costin Walker F3/F4 Imp Rebuild

Post by Smokey mow »

I like to start my build threads with a little bit of background and history and although this cars history started all the way back in 1968 my knowledge and involvement with it began much later than that.

Those of you that have seen my other posts and build thread will know that my involvement in single seaters and specifically Johnny Walker's F4 cars began in around 2014 when I bought my first JW4 Formula four car, one of the first 1966 250cc Mk2 chassis. Walker only made 56 cars of which only 12 were Mk2's and search to find original parts to rebuild my particular car lead me on an unexpected journey which culminated in me obtaining much of the original factory records, drawings and tooling for the JW4.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/104 ... ld-thread/

One car that had always intrigued me during my research was the very last car that Johnny Walker made; the Costin Walker. This car was something quite different to any of his previous F4 chassis and for which Walker had employed the talent's of Aerodynamist Frank Costin to design the chassis and bodywork who was famed for his early work with Lotus cars then later Marcos. More used to working with a wooden monocoque for his chassis construction on previous projects, for this commission his 18th car Frank Costin chose to adopt a space-frame construction and in his words to "carry it to its logical ultimate". Costin set out to design what was to become one of the stiffest space-frames ever produced for its weight and this very car went on to be displayed at the 1969 Racing Car Show at Olympia.
image.jpeg
image.png
I will continue the full history in later posts but, the history of the prototype was short lived when in 1971 during an F4 race at Lydden, the car spun striking the bank which caused damage to the front suspension upright and steering rack.
Rather than rebuilding the car a disillusioned and financially strained Walker sought to sell the car, but it was not to be run again by any of the subsequent owners.

The last recorded information I had of the car was a magazine cutting from 1991 where then then owner of the remains was seeking information about it's past. This article was the first breadcrumb in my search to find the whereabouts of the car as I wanted to learn of it's fate. As luck would have it the owners name in the article was quite unusual and after a session of googling I was able to find somebody with the same name but promisingly working in the motorsports industry. An enquiring email was sent and luck was again on my side as I had not only found the right person but also they were still the owner of the car having by then had it for nearly 40 years.
image.jpeg
I would add that at this time I had no intent in buying the car as my interest was in the researching the history of the marque. I arranged to meet the owner Denis and I was grateful that he was also willing to show me the car and fill in a few blanks about its history and whereabouts over the preceding years.
image.jpeg
Denis had bought the car in 1976, 5 years after its Lydden accident. back then it was in a sorry state having languished in a damp and draughty barn for 5 years and it's original 85bhp imp engine and jack knight gearbox had long since gone. After a period of storage Denis had set out to restore the car and at the time I first saw it in 2016 the car was still in pieces and the only part which had then been restored was painting of the chassis.

A pleasant afternoon was spent kicking tyres and talking cars then I went on my way back home. A few more emails were exchanged between us over the next few weeks as I found out more about the cars history and we shared information and then that was it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smokey mow

Re: Costin Walker F3/F4 Imp Rebuild

Post by Smokey mow »

Out of the blue I received an email from Denis at the start of this year explaining that he was thinking of selling. I wasn't looking for another project as by now I was mid-way through the restoration of my third JW4 but this car meant something to me and these opportunities don't come along everyday. I'm not sure my partner Dawn entirely understands my passion about old cars or why I would pay quite what it did for a pile of dusty rotten old car parts designed by some slightly famous bloke but I nevertheless did.
image.jpeg
Given the relatively short timeframe in which I bought the car and the fact I was financially crippled in buying it at a time when I was already haemorrhaging money on finishing the restoration of my JW4 together with attempting a garden room build for the house, there was no spare cash or time to make a start. So nothing more was done other than sorting, labelling and boxing up in readiness for the re-build to begin.

The car came with an engine, but this also had been stripped into parts so when the time allowed this would be my first challenge to see what was salvageable. It didn't take long for me to find that the years hadn't been kind to this, and with the head split from the block, moisture had been allowed to get into the bores and the crank was locked solid with the pistons rusted in place. The head wasn't looking much better either with rust on the camshaft and many of the lobes stuck fast. The carburettor is beyond rebuild.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

The gearbox had faired slightly better, and despite looking like it had spent some time sat outside or in a damp barn, the damage initially appeared limited to an inspection cover which had rusted in a hole but the inside still had a good layer of oil protecting everything and gear selection felt smooth. As I intend to build this car to be raced, the gearbox was duly despatched for a thorough inspection and rebuild to ensure all was working and in good order.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
As I worked to finish JW4 which I'm pleased to say is now complete and soon to be on its way to join the home of two of its sister cars in Belgium I only had time for a few small jobs on the Costin Walker, which mainly involved sourcing a few much need parts for the rebuild and for now that almost brings us up to date.

Realising that the engine was not in a salvageable state I made the decision to strip it for all the parts that were unique to its install in the Costin chassis and then to seek out a replacement. The Costin runs the engine in a near vertical orientation at an angle of approximately 20degrees whereas in the Imp its laid near to flat, this means that all the inlet manifold, exhaust and also the cooling set-up are unique and needed to be swapped over. An adaptor flange is also mounted between the engine and gearbox to accommodate the different orientation of the engine but also because the box is run inverted in the Costin.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
gr88
Club Member: No
Car Model: imp 875

Post by gr88 »

Nice information. Its great that you are restoring this unique bit of racing history. Keep us all informed please !
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

Interesting thread - good luck with the rebuild and keep the updates coming!
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

Thanks for the words. This last month has been quite slow progress but I did find some time to work through a few more ideas for the suspension and braking.

Having worked out a plan for the front suspension my attention has now turned to the rear. As mentioned earlier in the thread the original magnesium upright was broken during the Lydden accident and are beyond repair. This had been replaced with a fabricated steel upright of the same geometry as the mag upright to get the car rolling but over time that too had rusted to dust. I'd looked at the options of reverse engineering the Mag upright to make some replacements but after some preliminary enquiries with some suitable companies the costs of 3D scanning and prototyping would have been prohibitive so and early decision has been made to go with fabricated uprights that were used on the slightly earlier JW4 Mk4 .
image.jpeg
The JW4 Mk4 was a car that for a short time I owned and this was the prototype for the car engined JW4's when F4 was being developed to move away from the use of Motorcycle engines. The first prototype which I had was much like the Costin designed for a Hillman Imp engine and ran with unmodified imp drive shafts. As it happens amongst all the factory drawings I have for the earlier cars are the upright drawings for the Mk4 and the details necessary for making new replacements. The sheet metal parts would be easy to recreate and I'll be getting these laser cut as usual, the hubs and bearing carriers are slightly tricker as these are taken from the Hillman Imp's rear trailing arms and then cut down for repurposing. The uprights are still on the drawing board at the moment so there's no fabrication to show at this time however I have sourced a pair of Imp rear wishbones and cut these down for the bearing carriers that I'll need for the new suspension.
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I've also found a pair of rear drums, that have now been stripped down, shot blasted, powder-coated and now reassembled again.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

The other job for this month was trial assembly if the engine and transaxle in the chassis. Some time later in the cars history it was fitted with a Honda S800 engine so before the chassis goes to paint I wanted to be sure that the engine mounts were still in the right place for the imp engine. For now I'm just using a scrap gearbox and an old engine till something more suitable is built.

In the advertising literature for the car it was stated that the engine and box could be fitted as a single unit to ease assembly. Encouraged but this news I set about trying to squeeze everything into the small engine bay but there was just no way it would fit from any angle. Disassembled again the transaxle was slotted in first and the engine dropped in and bolted into place. All the ancillaries and manifolds were then fixed into place to check for clearances.
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

I've been pretty rubbish at keeping this tread updated, so over the coming days and weeks I'm going to try and catch up to where I am now.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Looking forward to it!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

IMG_4944 (1).JPG
did you check the back plates for wear. Where the handbrake cable lever pivots under the slave cylinder this should be flat unlike the one in the photo. If this area is not flat the slave cannot slide properly and effects brake performance. If you want some uprated shoes get in touch as i can supply on exchange Mintex halo items. If you want the exhaust manifold repairing i recommend Will Parry of Parry components. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... km6CMtTFOs

Keep the posts coming.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

The imp rear bearing housing can warp and go oval on the inboard end due to the heat involved in welding it in place, this will then nip the bearing reducing its life considerably. The housings were machine after the arms fabrication at the factory so that wasn't a problem, it might be advisable to make up a steel mandrel that can be inserted into the bore to keep it round as you weld then removed afterwards?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

moose wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:53 am IMG_4944 (1).JPG did you check the back plates for wear. Where the handbrake cable lever pivots under the slave cylinder this should be flat unlike the one in the photo. If this area is not flat the slave cannot slide properly and effects brake performance. If you want some uprated shoes get in touch as i can supply on exchange Mintex halo items. If you want the exhaust manifold repairing i recommend Will Parry of Parry components. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... km6CMtTFOs

Keep the posts coming.
The back plates were in remarkably good condition other than needing a paint. To be honest though I’m not sure why I fitted the handbrake pivots since I won’t be needing them so I’ll be taking them off again before the brakes get fitted.
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

The Nun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:56 pm The imp rear bearing housing can warp and go oval on the inboard end due to the heat involved in welding it in place, this will then nip the bearing reducing its life considerably. The housings were machine after the arms fabrication at the factory so that wasn't a problem, it might be advisable to make up a steel mandrel that can be inserted into the bore to keep it round as you weld then removed afterwards?
Thanks, I’d read a few posts about the risk. All the welding is finished now (thread update to follow) but basically they were welded with an old bearing in the housing and then very lightly skimmed to remove any ovality.

The longer term intention is to cast the uprights from aluminium.
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

back to the rebuild.

The Costin's sump has ben quite heavily modified from standard, mainly because of the engines vertical orientation. I was slightly worried that the original might not be salvageable and I even went as far as to buy a replacement to modify but after a good dousing of degreaser and the old glazing paint had been stripped off I was pleasantly surprised to see that we metalwork hiding beneath was actually in remarkably good condition. A quick check was made for any leaks and then it was ready for paint.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
Smokey mow

Post by Smokey mow »

Continuing the theme of refurbishing parts I dug out the box with the pedals in for a look and set about stripping them down for a good clean up.

like so many of the the parts they’re covered rust and a thick covering of body shop dust and overspray from storage.
a1.jpeg
a2.jpeg
a3.jpeg
a4.jpeg
a5.jpeg
a6.jpeg
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Smokey mow wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 pm back to the rebuild.

The Costin's sump has ben quite heavily modified from standard, mainly because of the engines vertical orientation. I was slightly worried that the original might not be salvageable and I even went as far as to buy a replacement to modify but after a good dousing of degreaser and the old glazing paint had been stripped off I was pleasantly surprised to see that we metalwork hiding beneath was actually in remarkably good condition. A quick check was made for any leaks and then it was ready for paint.

1.jpeg
Appreciate you might want to keep the original sump, however if you can find a 930 fire pump engine they came with a lovely cast alloy one - this engine is fitted upright so should be suitable. Try Robin Human if interested as he had a few.

Scott
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

Keep up the good work. Do you hope to race it once it is complete?
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli »

I have a standard steel 930 sump that is for upright instalation - I use it just to store an Imp engine on. If you have no luck getting an alloy one - give me a shout, I may part with it for such a worthwhie cause. (Even though I was hoping to use it on a project of the future sometime, it might never happen...)

Oli