Steve's Irish Clan

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

walshste
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp Super, Irish CKD. the last one?

Steve's Irish Clan

Post by walshste » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Here it is. Imp has been moved out of the garage (my mate's garage - i get 1 car space) for the summer and the clan is in. First thing to do is have a really good poke about. I've already found soft plywood and pushed my finger through it on the passenger side. It doesn't appear to be too big of a section. I will take some pics and perhaps someone here can advise on the best approach to sorting it. Then it's suspension off, refurb or replace and re-fit. I see a company in the North of Ireland fibretec sell inner door cards and dashboards. The 998 which was being built by Andy J for the imp will now go in this. I need seats, window seals, (windscreen is good) polycarbonate ... so much to look forward to doing!

More pics to follow.

Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Steve's Irish Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 pm

I like the colour scheme.

On the sills issue. Main source of water ingress (and mud) is from the front wheel arches. The fibreglass closing plate over the hinge posts are, more often than not, poorly fitted from new (certainly for the Crusader, not so sure if they did in fact improve the closure plates for the Irish Clan?). Once sealed properly, you shouldn't have much trouble with the inner sills rotting. Use marine ply coated with resin for replacement sills panels - just to be sure they will never rot again. But like I said the important bit it closing off the sills from the front inner wheel arches.

Other sources of water ingress includes the bottom corner of the windscreen allowing the foot well to collect water, so therefore coat the replacement sills with resin on BOTH sides. A minor water ingress source is the bottom bolt holes where the hinge posts are fixed to the upper sill ledge (under the door). If you have the hinge posts out then seal these bolts /bolt holes too.

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 am

The Irish Clan front arch closing covers, if you can call them that, dont cover, I had to remake mine in fibreglass so they were the correct size to seal off fully all around. As supplied they had big gaps, they might prevent a bird flying in to nest but that was about it.
The sills didnt have drainage holes/tubes in the bottom front and rear either so on the off chance of wet getting in it would stay in and the wooden panels used in the construction wasnt marine ply as far as I was aware and wasnt treated either so once moisture set in it was on the road to nowhere.
There was heaps that could be done to improve the body but I suppose its all down to cost as always, do as little as you can get away with.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
walshste
Car Model: Imp Super, Irish CKD. the last one?

Post by walshste » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 pm

A half decent poke about this evening. That was after a lot of faffing about trying to get the clan in the air. Boy they are low and the front arb really makes it tricky.
I need to get the suspension off it. To do that is it ok to support her with planks across the underside? Or better along the sills? No wheels , engine or box or interior for that matter. So should be light (bar the cage which is chunky)

Anyhow some pics and any advice/comments for repairing some of the inner ply that is soft/ now holed as my finger went through it gratefully accepted.

Soft area to the rear of the door aperture. Cable tie holds front rad pipes. See hole just in front.

Rear bulkhead. See to the right of the starp , this is soft here. (strap is part of anchoring for inner harness eyelets.

Very rusty

Also rusty, see adjustable height. Big koni shocks.
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 pm

walshste wrote:A half decent poke about this evening. That was after a lot of faffing about trying to get the clan in the air. Boy they are low and the front arb really makes it tricky.
I need to get the suspension off it. To do that is it ok to support her with planks across the underside? Or better along the sills?
I used scaffold planks across the car on the underside of the floor with good axle stands when my one was being stripped out for a re-build.