Datsun engined Imp. What was that?!!....

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

johnh875
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Re: Datsun engined Imp. First roadtrip...

Post by johnh875 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:36 am

yoeddynz wrote:
617sqn wrote: To eat your dinner, you serve it up on a plate :lol:

Andy G
What is a plate? We just use our hands down this way. Meat off bbq, onto bun/bread, into mouth.
Can verify this, I remember seeing a kid being told to put back his paper plate at a bbq, he had a piece of bread. :D

Good luck with stopping the leak
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
yoeddynz
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Re: Datsun engined Imp. First roadtrip...

Post by yoeddynz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Peter Hurst wrote: A transaxle output shaft seal leaking, in my experience, results in the oil running down the casing and dripping off the bottom of the box with the doughnut staying dry.
You say you have sealed the spider to the spline but again in my experience that's where the transmission oil comes from if it dipping off the doughnut
Peter- I shall have to eat my hat now :-) ....

Update time. Firstly there will be no more juggling around shuffling stuff to get the Imp on the hoist, or having to drive it down the slippery grass drive that heads to the back of the workshop to get it onto the hoist. We have the workshop back after having finished building this cabin on wheels. We delivered it to its new home where the owner will continue with the build , fitting windows, door and lining it out. It was a fun job but took up a big chunk of space. Well until we start the next build. We will have a 8 metre trailer to build for ourselves soon once we sell the housetruck.

So we could now relax and enjoy the Imp. A few little jobs completed and a fair few miles clocked up. Most important thing to sort out was a leak from the nearside transaxle output shaft. After getting back from the trip to Blenheim it was discovered that oil was coming out from what I thought was the seal and getting spun out off the coupling, marking a perfect line of oil inside the engine bay.

So the car ended up in this position getting its trans fluid drained.

I removed the shaft, doubled checked the seal land which was fine, checked and tightened the seal by cutting a few mm from its spring because it just didn't feel quite tight enough on the shaft. I also checked the shaft too. Mine is the later shaft being a factory press fit and no nut. I was sure that it fine and solid but just to be sure I cleaned and siliconed the end of the shaft visible from outside. Just in case...

Put it all back together, a few drives and the leak was still there. I took the shaft out again and checked it in the vice. It was indeed loose. Loose enough that it could move in and out slightly and had broken the silicone bond so allowing oil to creep past the splines and out. It must have been getting worse as the oil was essentially lubricating the once tight fit of the splines. Peter... you were correct!

It knocked apart easily, showing the factory O ring fitted before they press them together. Once clean and dry I tried the fit. It was a touch too loose for my liking so out with the JB weld epoxy. It'll never leak again :)

Yesterday we drove to Nelson and back and I'm happy to report that the leak has stopped ! Yay. Now the only real leak is a dribble from the rear main seal on the engine. I'll change that when I change the worn ring gear in the future.

Another job was to sort out some sounds. I like my music and not having a sounds system in a car on long trips is annoying. I had already eyed up and sussed where I would mount some speakers. It seems a fairly common place after having looked at other setups out there on Imps.

We had scored a JVC headunit from a customer after upgrading their setup. Then we had scored some speakers from a Nissan Bluebird SSS we had been given and passed on but not before robbing its sounds. I also had some ply left over from lining the rear of the Viva wagon floor. So sorted for a cheap as setup.

We made some boxes in the sunshine on what was a cold day....

Later on the sun hid behind clouds so all three of us moved over to the warmth of the log fire....

After Hannah covered the boxes in black vinyl I mounted them under the parcel shelves and wired in the head unit, a neat little unit that due to not playing cds is shorter in depth so fitting under the shelf nicely. It all looks neat enough and sounds fine for the size. Just need to find some protective grills to suit those speakers. Next on the list is to get and active sub and mount it under a seat so we can have some fuller, deeper sound.

Another job I had planned to do but kept being put off was to hinge the front number plate. I don't want to mount it any higher and block the grill so where it is makes for a great driveway crown sweeper. Driving along our 500m long stone driveway in a lowered Imp with an even lower number plate gets tiring!

So I did this...

I'll report back with whether it also swings back at 170mph so avoiding speed camera tickets.

The other night we had a lovely sunset and the Imp was looking resplendent in the light. I took a photo..

Next jobs to do are fit some carpet and I'm still really keen on pursuing building a full EFI setup. But its going to be a very busy summer for us so that will have to be a project I pursue in the evenings.

We are heading over to England next week. I'm really hoping to make it along to the Retro-rides gathering. It'll be my 5th one if I do. Quite excited! I do hope there will be some other Imps along but even if not I just know there is going to be a superb selection of awesome cars turn up.

Hopefully see you there.

Alex
Last edited by yoeddynz on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
johnh875

Re: Datsun engined Imp. Leaky splines and flappy numbers...

Post by johnh875 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:17 am

Nice update (as always). Looks like the tiny house thing has hit NZ too, and interesting set up with the slide-out.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:05 am

Cheers. We built slideouts on our housetruck. They make a huge difference to the feeling of space so it made sense to add one on this. I don't know why other tiny house builders don't do them. It's worth the extra effort and bit of weight.
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 am

A quality job - multi-talented guy! 8)

Just need to add a couple of vertical v-shaped aero panels to the front faces for trouble free 80 mph motorway bashes (assuming no crosswind) :shock: . Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 am

I could add an adjustable counterweight that can be changed from the dash. Adjust it to suit the speed zoning one is driving in the most.
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Liquid nitrogen pumped from one area to another for different weight distribution possibly a bit too advanced for the road
Gary
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Like racing yachts - pumped ballast! You would have a water tank, right?
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:22 am

It might handle like a Tesco petrol tanker :o
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 pm

So many awesome ideas. The power of a good forum :-)
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:13 am

Well its been a while since I've updated this thread. Mid July was where I last posted up anything of worth. Little Imp got parked up in the corner of the workshop so leaving anough space for our neighbours to make use of the shed while we took off to England for a decent holiday. Hannah got to catch up with her family, we both did heaps of cycling and running, had plenty of sunshine and beer plus I got to go along to the retro-rides gathering 2019! As I always do I had a fantastic time there and came away with boosted Mojo and lots of ideas. Before leaving the UK I ordered a few spare parts for the Imp. Thanks so very much to the awesome, very friendly services of Bob who looks after the Imp club spares :-) ....

We got back to NZ in September, just in time for the start of spring. The Imp was sitting there tucked away, a tiny little puddle of oil under the sump just like a good little English car should have...

First job was to fit the shiny new lenses. Hannah jumped straight into that, an easy but so very satisfying job to do...

We then took the steering rack out and fitted the new centre gaitor. Hooray for a rack that holds oil...

Having decided I was pretty happy with where the temp gauge needle sits once fully warmed up I carefully measured the resistance across the potentiometer I'd been using to adjust it. I then made a little joining lead fitted with a resistor of the same value. This replaced the adjustable item and should be it for the temp gauge. At some point in the future I may well make a new instrument cluster to suit the dash as I rather fancy having a rev counter in a place that I can actually see it ok.

We have been driving the Imp since getting back to NZ as much as possible. On its first journey out since back I got this pic...

We've had a few decent trips including a one really neat drive all around the local valley roads and hills, some gravel roads etc. Its so fun to drive. I'm really getting more confident with the handling and how to get the most from it. The engine seems fine and loves a good trashing. The carb is still a bit iffy with that worn out primary spindle still allowing some air to sneak in. I have ordered a new carb from China and will see how it goes. It was cheap enough to try and when I eventually fit injection I can sell the carb on. Whilst out on that really fun drive I got this photo. Shame I only had my phone as the sky was quite moody...

After lots of driving I checked the plugs. They look fine with what I think looks to be a good colour...

I thought it better to fit the fire extinguisher I bought before our holiday. It tucks away neatly behind the drivers seat...

In other news I have been collecting many different parts needed for a conversion to fuel engine management. I just scored another megasquirt one (2.2) ecu plus a full loom and some edis bits - this time from our mate Rob in return for me doing some machining work for him...

I need to decide on a few bits needed and also in which direction to go for the inlet layout. Maybe Itbs but maybe a plenum with a single tb. I foolishly dillydallied about when there was a full set of cbr900 ITBs on trademe for $55 including injectors and loom and subsequently missed out on them. At the time I wasn't sure about the suitability but for that money I could have made them work. Not sure on ideal throttle size but they were 40mm each which given the Datsun only has 30mm inlet valves I figure they'd have been plenty.
Then I would have had all of the doorts! I'll keep looking...

I'll be using a 36-1 trigger wheel, also supplied by Rob :) Luckily there is ample room to mount it on the back of the main pully.

Both MS1 ecus I now have use the earlier version 2.2 board which don't have built in VR conditioner circuits. I can make a VR conditioner board and use VR sensor, of which I have many.

Or I could use the Edis setup (which has a VR conditioner built in and uses a VR sensor) that came with the MS1, of which I suspect the ECU has been supplied already configured to use. I have never used Edis before. Hmmmm? Its a bit ugly and clunky though. I dont like the quite large ignitor box I'd have to sit somewhere.

Or I can go with a Hall sensor but then I'll have to locate one from a wreckers- but what car? As usual I want to do this conversion as cheaply as possible because its just more satisfying for me that way. In my first few casual searches it seems that they are quite pricey and can be a bit frail or temperamental in use? More research is needed, of which I must say I do find to be one of the most fun parts of modifying! :)

Oh also - I fitted a new speedo cable and now have a speedo needle that doesnt wibble-wobble all over the place. How thoroughly modern!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Re: Datsun engined Imp. Now pondering fuel infection ideas....

Post by bazzateer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am

Love reading your updates. By UK standards my garage is pretty good but looking at yours certainly gives me garage envy! :mrgreen:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
paulchin

Post by paulchin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:55 am

Great reading your updates as always!

For the "clunky" nature of the EDIS coil pack, there is a smaller version, fitted to later Ford cars (KA etc) which I always thought would look fine fitted where the dizzy cap used to be - after all, that's where the HT leads will now come from, so it would almost look original at first glance?

(I collected a whole MS/EDIS set years ago, only to sell the Imp before ever fitting it - so moved it on to a well-known Imp enthusiast. Not sure if he ever fitted it either?)

Keep the updates coming!
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks fellas for the kind words.

I'm thinking of hiding the coil upside down under the parcel shelf, as I have with the single coil currently used. Hopefully that'll be fondue away enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the dizzy removed for an even cleaner looking engine.

Looks like I've just scored a set of 36mm cb900 itbs as well - from a friend on oldschool.co.nz forum

I'll put up some pics soon. Hopefully they'll be fairly easy to install in a neat enough fashion. Otherwise I'll still go down the common plenum with a single front mounted tb
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm

_20191002_205501.JPG
Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Sweet- cheers. Yeah I have even more room under the shelf further forwards so I'll move it there :-)
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:37 am

So Hannah and I took the Imp for a two day road trip. Part business and part holiday. On Friday we drove up to Lake Rotoiti, Nelson lakes national park. On the way we checked out some old classic cars a fella owns who wants me to do a load of bodywork on. The Imp drove really well. The sun was out and the music cranking (some ambient tunes from David Tipper since you ask). We had a good coffee and then a nice walk on tracks around the lake. That evening we drove through to my olds place in Blenheim. A nice day out. Here's some photos...

Chilled out at my parents, a feed of fish and chips, wine. A grand way to finish a day. Following morning we set to head home. Filled the Imp up, did some maths and allowing for a very optimistic speedo we reckon on around 40 mpg. Not bad considering the gearing at 100kph. Headed home, sadly into rain as a cold front was moving up the Island. Drove long way via Picton and Queen Charlotte drive because narrow twisty roads and go kart car...

Over the Rai Saddle, sitting with the flow of traffic. I give the car some stick to pass a motorhome up the saddle and then when cruising down the other side the wee car does that thing....

'JOLT!' The car does a small but very noticeable stumble. Like a tiny rev limiter. For those that have tuned megasquirt, or maybe other EFI, it felt like when you click burn.

"What was that?" Hannah asks.

"Shit- I don't know but it felt like an ignition thing, not spluttering fuel thing" I reply.

We both go quiet. I almost want to turn the music down and listen for any untoward mechanical sounds that might be there. But I don't. I'll play it cool. Don't worry. Don't get Hannah worried. It was probably just a...bother... I don't know?. I'll just say nothing, drive a little slower and whatever it was will be a memory soon.

The silence is piercing. Now I notice every bl***y vibration. I'm watching all the gauges like a jet pilot. All the time my mind is going through all possible scenarios. What could that have been. What if we breakdown?

3km pass. It seems ok. I start to relax. Only one big set of hills to go. I pass another rental car, most likely the scurge of the kiwi roads, a Nissan Tiida. I dont know because I'm still having a mini stress..

'JOLT'. Here we go. This is happening. This time its for good. The car dies and I have to quickly think where I'm going to stop to fix it and quick before I slow too much and that silver blob I just passed drives up my bum. I spot a forestry road on the right, coast across to it (whilst trying to make it look like nothing is wrong so saving face for all classic drivers who get the "oh old cars are so unreliable...")

I pull to a stop and the engine splutters to its last road driven rotation with a bang.

bother. Remain calm. Reception on phone? Not a chance. Tool kit in boot comes out and we go through all the obvious things, concluding that it is indeed the ignition. Annoyingly it was the ignition module, of which I didnt have a spare. If it were points I'd have fixed it. Such is life. Luckily the rain had stopped and double lucky that across the road from the forestry road we parked on was a farm house. The kind farmers wife took us in, let us use her phone and fed us tea and biscuits. I called a mate out with his trailer. We have AA membership however its the basic cover that would have got us to a garage. I knew a Garage wasn't going to fix this and we'd still have to get home. Yeah nah. Stuff that.

Mate turns up with his trailer and we have a choice as chilled out trip home. We fed him dinner and it was all good in the end. I only took one photo of the day...

So that was that. On Sunday I removed the dizzy and then the module. It fails the tests as predicted. Here's the troublesome module...

Come Monday and at my local wreckers looking for a module. I dont want to spend $120 on a new one when I'm about to fit full engine management.
No luck locally but we were in Nelson on Tuesday and I found one at a wreckers there, cheap too.

Fitted it that night and brooooooommmmmm :) The replacement was a proper Hitachi module whereas the one that let its smoke out was a no brand cheap one. Even felt lighter if that means anything. I took the broke one apart and it looks like a little cityscape inside- heck it would scare a Barry used to the kettering system...

I also managed to score a spare couple of dizzies, converted with accuspark. My bench looks like a bomb went off in a hitachi factory...

I'll need to fix them up, check them out and then I could always have a spare setup in case. That is until I fill the Imp with boxes of electronics and then there's no chance Mr AA man can help me. It'll be like every modern car- useless when broke.

In other news- this turned up from China the day we left for the lakes...

Its a brand new Hitachi 306 clone, all for not much more then a full carb gasket set costs. I had ordered this before I had scored all the other Megasquirt bits. Anyway- I'm still looking forward to trying it out because my worn out carb is about as good as I can get it. The new one looks so shiny. I'll report back with my findings on how deep the quality goes...

Last edited by yoeddynz on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 am

Wow ! Quite an adventure ! Ignition modules giving up are a bit of a sore point with me at the moment. Not Stan as he has EDIS, but on a local members car. Saga goes on....

Fab images too. Hope all goes well with the Itchyfanny carburettor, but megasquirt will be the ultimate tuneable answer.

Keep the updates coming 8)

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Cheers Andy. Yeah I'm looking forward to having full scale fuel infection. All those little components that could let their smoke out at any time.. Makes for a grand adventure :-)
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:24 pm

yoeddynz wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm
Cheers Andy. Yeah I'm looking forward to having full scale fuel infection. All those little components that could let their smoke out at any time.. Makes for a grand adventure :-)

Once you have it, I hope you intend to use antibiotics only if really necessary. :o

If you rest it up in a warm garage and wait a week, the car's adaptive immune system will probably resolve the issue without the use of antibiotics. :wink:

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
yoeddynz

Re: Datsun engined Imp. What was that?!!....

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Imp001 :( :oops: :idea:

I was looking for a poorly looking smilie but that's all I could find.

This is actually the first time I have had to call out a trailer in NZ to get rescued in a classic. The last time I called the AA was for our Nissan Sentra, which funny enough (though not at the time..) had a failed coil.

I ran my Viva with Megasquirt for quite some time until I sold it and it never let me down when out on the road. But I still believe that for outright reliability and a sense of dependability a single carb and points ignition (so long as you have a few spares in the boot) cant be beat. But I don't live in Australia, 100s of km from anywhere so I'm happy 'risking' this new fangdangled modern technology.... I mean it cant be all that bad- all new cars are apparently more reliable then our old cars eh!... :? :roll: