Datsun engined Imp. What was that?!!....

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

yoeddynz
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Re: Yoeddynzs 1965 Datsun powered Hillman Imp - welding begi

Post by yoeddynz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Cheers guys. Yep I must say I am enjoying the work on this one. Its always fun seeing new fresh steel replace old rot. Comparing it to some of the Imps restored on this forum I am pretty damn happy with how solid this car is considering its been sitting outside for ages. The difference here in NZ, especially down here in the drier top of the South Island, is that we don't have the damp air throughout winter and we dont have humid summers here. Not like I experienced when I lived in Oxfordshire for 10 years. So old cars can survive quite well outside :) The further north in NZ you go the more humid it gets and cars rust a fair bit quicker (well there are exceptions depending on East or West.

Here's some more little unhappy Imps from where my friend has pulled out two already. I have bought all of them and as many parts as we can pull out for 100 pounds. It seems like a fair enough price...:-)

Andy- the next Imp project may well keep an Imp engine. I'm hoping to have a couple of L2 engines lined up from the other Imps I secured down south.
However...it may well get something completely different :-) There are certainly enough original Imps floating about in NZ so I'll sleep ok. This shell will get the Datsun engine because the Rego plates and tags that its getting are set up with the certified Datsun engine applied. So its a real ball ache to change. Apart from the fact the engine is tall and hence the parcel shelf is hacked about I reckon its a neat engine. Oldschool looking and very very well known, strong, economical engines these with a standard unstressed 70 bhp. All with only around a 20kg hike in weight :wink:

But I do like an Imp engine :D ...just not just costs involved to get more reliable power from one :shock: . I can totally see why the Bmw swap is so popular! :idea:

Alex
Last edited by yoeddynz on Fri May 04, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, Alex, I can also appreciate the draw of the BMW route. If I could afford a second Imp, I might even go that way. As it is, I can't and I'm happy with Imp power anyway. Keeps my licence that bit safer :lol:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Yep- I know what you mean. Having had sold my 220 bhp V6 Viva Hb recently and thinking I was going to miss the power (it was fun I must say..) I am now really enjoying the slow cruisy life that is ambling about in my 50bhp (probably not even..) Viva wagon. I am very much looking forward to seeing what its like to drive a peppy Imp. 70bhp might be all it needs.. if so then a nice wee 875 tuned to those levels makes sense.

One thing I would certainly do to any other future Imp, 875 or not, would be fuel injection and a full tidy up of the original engine bay.. its just what I like to do to cars. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to clean simple bays.
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am

I sneaked a little bit more time on this last night (well I didn't really sneak out to the shed.. I just worked till late)

I have taken a few extra photos this time to show how I went about what is a fairly awkward bit to fabricate. After having just read Simons thread right through it was fun to see that his last few posts were about this area. I'm glad my corners were not as rotten!

So in pictures.. here's the corner to repair...

Measured up to work out a size of steel needed. Add a bit extra because with the slight compound curve the shrinker will tease the steel and it'll end up smaller in other areas too... (hard to explain what I mean.. but yeah.. just cut a bit larger than you need)

I rolled my little folder out and in several small bends curved the edge up. The bend downwards of this corner has a 5mm or so radius... but not all the way round as it actually blends back in to the guard.

Then into the shrinker..

Then compare to original section. Its not a simple curve and has to be carefully manipulated by hand to get just right.

Cut, try, cut, try, cut.. until it just fits in neatly. Because its nice new thick steel and the area its getting welded into is good steel I don't mind a tiny gap. As I weld it the weld will sink in between rather than sitting out too far. Plenty of heat in short zaps. Meld it into one.. weld on, grind off, weld on, grind off....ahhhh grasshopper. :-)

Then the little finishing off bit underneath. A slight compound curve in itself but can be just bent to fit by hand...

Then fused in place.. ready for grinding (the boring bit..)

I have now started on the other side rear corner. Much worse inside as the battery box area was rotten. I'm not going to bother trying to make it all original like in there because there wont be a battery there. But maybe I'll make a handy space out of it. Maybe a box or something to take spare engine oil, some basic tools etc. I'll see. For now I just need to make it solid again :-)
Last edited by yoeddynz on Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Simister
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Post by John Simister » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread. Next instalment eagerly awaited.

I read your comments about millimetre-perfect swages etc on Impstress's thread, but what I would say is that an Imp's shapes and curves are surprisingly complex and subtle and when they are even slightly wrong, the overall shape doesn't quite hang together any more. That said, your lower LH rear quarter looks to have just the right double curvature, which is more than can be said for one particular make of repair panel - as I discovered when my own car was getting new metal there. The panel needed a lot of expensive cutting and shaping and massaging to get it right.

As for the Dino 246, no two are quite the same...
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:33 pm

John Simister wrote:but what I would say is that an Imp's shapes and curves are surprisingly complex and subtle and when they are even slightly wrong, the overall shape doesn't quite hang together any more.
The rear end, especially around the lights, is one of my favourite features of these wee cars. I see what you mean and I'll certainly try to do my best to keep it looking correct. But what I'm not at all worried about is straight edges under the car, sills for example, being perfect. Certainly not worried about what the floor repairs will end up looking like so long as they are strong :-) Not looking forward to dealing to that lot. If it was a different time I'd be tempted to collect a repair panel from the club when I come over in July. But I just cant wait that long! I really just want to drive the car :-)
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Great work! And done quickly too! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Excellent work Alex!
The Imp is going to back on the road in no time.

I've been reading your Viva threads on RetroRides so it's good to see you turn your skills to an Imp.

Matt
Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Cheers guys.

Yep- poor wee Viva wagon. feeling all left out right now. But considering this Imp wont be ready in time for the Oldschool.co.nz nationals the Viva wagon will get a lovely road trip in two weeks time :-)
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 am

I managed to do a bit more on this in between stripping a Datsun 120Y down and property jobs continuing on from the cyclone mess.

So where was I up to? Ahhhhh that's right. The arches...

No. Hang on. That's the wrong photo. Not them. This..

So there was some rust I had cut out. Made a little fill in and using Nanas favourite butter knife I was able to keep it lined up for butt welding..

Grind off and move on..

So onto the offside rear corner. It was messy..

This fell out..

And the rest was cut out..

I started a the rebuild with a tricky inner bottom piece connecting the outer guard bottom to the chassis rail. Luckily it looked like this section is a mirror image of the other side. You can see it has many curves, bends and folds, as pointed out by Mr troll...

So I copied it using folder, hammers, shrinker, pliers, hands..

Welded in. Instant strength again :-)

I then rebuilt the inside and started building the outer skin..

I've finished off the entire rear end but need to get some more photos. There were some rust bubbles around the arch which I cut out in sections in order to not lose the shape. I'll get more photos. I need to cover all the repairs in Epoxy primer before it starts flashing off in surface rust. Then move on to the floor. Yay. Lots of rust. But I have a rough plan on how to tackle it.

Feeling happy with it all now its a lot more solid :-)

Alex Imp001
Last edited by yoeddynz on Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Excellent progress Alex. Keep the info coming :D

Andy G
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm

The factory deleted the tricky section as you describe it from later models but cracking work, looking forward to the updates.

Scott
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Oh :-( I thought it was a vital strengthening part. Oh well. It weighs little and makes that area much stiffer. Plus the crossmember that the Datsun engine sits on goes between the rails there and the race car rails were all bent.

I might make a little tool/spare oil box to drop down into that space.

Hey btw- can someone please measure the length of the bay- from the bellhousing face to inside of the rear bolt in valance (I dont know what that bit is called?)
Ie; what length engine could fit in the space.

I just have a future idea I want to research.... :-)
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:18 am

Transom panel.
yoeddynz

Re: Yoeddynzs 1965 Datsun powered Hillman Imp - welding begins.

Post by yoeddynz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Cool. Cheers. Every day a school day :-)
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:46 am

Excellent work... looking great. Great to see *repairs* not blanket replacement - and I totally agree with you about making things concours perfect. There's a time and place for that - and if that's what you want, great... go for it. But, I prefer cars that you can drive, enjoy and repair yourself - I'm not into trailer queens and I have a lot of respect for anyone restoring cars like this (making the sections themselves)... if you have the skills its probably easier than fitting dodgy repair panels from certain suppliers! Keep us all posted..

If you are over here in July, does that mean you are coming to National?

As an aside... was it you that bought a set of 12in Dunlop wheels from me (I lived in Daventry at the time) for your Viva through Retro Rides?
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:56 am

Always satisfying making a panel and then welding it in , nice work going on here. 8)

The Pest was Tahiti Blue when I bought it.
Loweredpest.jpg
Cheers
Col.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 pm

impmann wrote:Excellent work... looking great. Great to see *repairs* not blanket replacement - and I totally agree with you about making things concours perfect. There's a time and place for that - and if that's what you want, great... go for it. But, I prefer cars that you can drive, enjoy and repair yourself - I'm not into trailer queens and I have a lot of respect for anyone restoring cars like this (making the sections themselves)... if you have the skills its probably easier than fitting dodgy repair panels from certain suppliers! Keep us all posted..

If you are over here in July, does that mean you are coming to National?

As an aside... was it you that bought a set of 12in Dunlop wheels from me (I lived in Daventry at the time) for your Viva through Retro Rides?
Thanks Tim. Yeah I do admire a nice factory finish paint job I'd just be too worried about daily driving something with a super posh expensive paint job. Sods law would be that someone would open a door on my new paint job or something.

If I had the money and I was in Blighty I'd have possibly bought a panel or two- especially the next part I need to address- that floor! But nothing available here (certainly nothing cheap) so its just quicker and cheaper to make my own bits :-)

Yeah we will be over in July and I really would like to make it along to the Nats! Its not too far from Oxford really. Once closer to the date I might see if there is someone in the club making their way past Oxford that I can catch a ride with :-)

I did have some Dunlop D1 alloys on my Viva ..but 13" and bought in NZ.. so it wasn't me.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 pm

colimp66 wrote:Always satisfying making a panel and then welding it in , nice work going on here. 8)

The Pest was Tahiti Blue when I bought it.
Loweredpest.jpg
Cheers
Col.
I'm quite drawn to that colour. Its gonna be a tough choice! :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Lovely work, Alex! 8) I agree with Tim's comments above.

I am enjoying your thread. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Paul. Updates soon. We have just got back from the Oldschool.co.nz nationals. Sadly no Imps were present :-( But there were some very nice cars indeed and the weekend was great fun. Topped off by the fact that I managed to locate a later gearbox from the Marshland road graveyard. I think I have pretty much pulled all the bits I might need from there. I'll add photos from there when I do an Imp update. For now here are some photos from the nats...

The event took place at an old Ymca campground in Wainui bay, across the bay from Akaroa which is 80km East of Christchurch. Luckily we had very good weather :-)

If its got wheels and its old its welcome. We aint at all snobby at Oldschool.....

Genuine minty fresh original 808 coupe. Just simply lovely....

The view looking down over where the campsite was. Lovely area!

Rocker cover racing...

Genuine XKD Le mans car. The owner was a top bloke and actually dailies this car to the shops etc!!!....

Alex
Last edited by yoeddynz on Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm

What a great event! 8) What was the silver car in your second picture? Lovely lines. :) And a Jag D-Type daily shopping car! :shock: Well they were built to be used... :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 am

That's a Datsun. 260C I think. It has this under the bonnet....

617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 am

Anybody spot the mk2 Cortina copy in image 6. Looks like a 1600 E.

Andy G
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 am

Ahhh that's a Datsun 1600 (510). Very capable popular cars and starting to command good money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_510
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Imp time. Yay.

We went on a road trip south to go to the Oldschool.co.nz nationals. We were going to take the Viva wagon but instead filled the Hiace with Datsun 120Y parts and took them to the new Owner, Greg. With the van now empty we needed to fill it. What better to fill it with than Imp parts. So the next morning while the other oldschoolers were doing circles in some paddack somewhere we went here...

Recently featured in Practical classics 'rust in peace' monthly feature this place is an old mans lifelong stash of old cars which is now being cleared out since his passing. As mentioned way back at the beginning of this thread there were Imps a plenty. Not anymore because with the help of Will several have been pulled out, the rest too far gone to save. But there were still parts I wanted.

So Hannah and I found ourselves out in the sunshine with our generator and an angle grinder removing stubborn bits. I managed to locate the item I was really hoping to find , the later stronger transaxle which seem to be a bit rarer here in NZ. Happy with that :-) We also got some other parts including a bonnet which although pretty rusty is savable.

Didn't take many pics while there. Having too much fun. Here's an Imp..

and another, but sideways..

We took some pics of the Imps that Will had pulled out a while back. Now at his place. The blue one here will be coming up on a trailer when I finish the Datsun 120Y...

Here's the red Imp Will extricated with a crane...

After all this fun we took off over to Akaroa to join up with all the Oldschool party goers for the weekend. Among other things Jesus turned up to drink beer and watch a goat race rocker covers..

There was also many many fine cars..

Back at home now and I assembled my ever increasing lineup of transaxles..

In between other jobs including the Datsun I managed to get a bit done on the shell. I started on what I reckon is the trickiest reair on this car.. the floor. Not having access to any cheap repair panels (the cars left at that yard are worse) I had to just fabricate the sections bit by bit. I'm never one for obsessing about originality, especially on areas that no one will ever see. But I still want it to remain as strong as possible and this area involves many pressed ribs.

First off was this little bit that was already cut from the shell by someone previously. Not sure why though? There was some alloy casting bit above it, maybe for a speedo cable to pass through? I welded the section back in place. Lucky they hadn't lobed that bit away.

I then cut out the front of the floor. Its a little bit worse for wear..

I made a new section. It was tricky and I was really happy with it..

Then I rolled the very handy stretchyshrinky thing over. I made a little piece..

Which allowed me to move onto the big tricky bit. Tricky because the ribs have tricky to define corners which are hard to measure. I had to get the measurements correct. If any were wrong I would end up with incremental error and it be horrible to adjust later on. Very carefully I measured, marked , folded. I even turned down the music (The Radcliffe and Maconie show since you ask) and got there in the end..

I welded it in and while Hannah braced the underside with a dolly (a metal block, not a Barbie) I hammered the front edges down to create the ends. Then welded it all all. Very strong indeed.

From underneath..

and now a solid drivers side floor :) ...

So just a little section on this side at the rear of the tunnel and then over to the other side! Phew.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Lovely repair, how long did it take you ?

Scott
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 pm

I have been adding up the hours for my own interest plus its good to know so I can more accurately quote folk who come in for repairs. I'd have to look through the diary but I think this latest lot on the floor was probably about a day. Its harder when I keep having to stop for other jobs.

Oh plus- getting nearer to the shortest day. Getting dark at about 6pm now and staying out much later in the shed is tricky when there's a warm fire in our housetruck :)
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 pm

As Scott says, a great job of replicating the floor and making it look so good. It looks so familiar to what I had to do to my Imp.

Keep up the good work and updates.
Cheers
Col.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks :D I'll be pretty happy when the whole floor is finished that's for sure.

Then it'll be onto that pesky rear shelf.....
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 pm

This little Imp has now got a nice solid floor :) I really needed to get some solid work done on the Imp so I can get it off the hoist. I also wanted to see the end of a rotten floor so yesterday I decided would be nothing but Imp day (in between important coffee, music listening and posting cat photos on social media of course)

Oh and also reading the latest Impressions magazine (I joined a club!!!)

I finished the last bit of rot on the side of the tunnel behind the drivers seat area. Then moved on to the passenger side. Not anywhere near as bad as the drivers side but bad in different places. I pondered for a while at which bits I should keep or chop out. Then I set to work..

Hannah kept busy with an ever so exciting ball joint replacement on a customers van so I could I fritter away on the Imp :)

I remade the wheel well bottom...

Then I wheeled over the magic machine and made a snake..

Snake thing goes here...

Followed by the beginnings of the firewall heel...

The heel bone connects to the floor bone...

Before I knew it there was a nice new floor upon which I can mount the MX5 seats I have recently bought :)

Next step while its on the hoist is to deal with the parcel shelf which is rotten. Luckily most of it gets chopped away to allow for the top of the Datsun engine to peek the top of its little rocker cover through. I think I'll also be a lovely fella and gift the job of slapping Por15 on the underside to Hannah. Because I'm nice like that.
617sqn

Re: Yoeddynzs 1965 Datsun enginned Imp. Yay for solid floors

Post by 617sqn » Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Excellent stuff Eddy. I like your manner of story telling. Glad that you've finally succumbed to membership :lol: 8)

Andy G
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Fri May 11, 2018 6:17 am

Cracking work going on there and interesting to read. The ally bit you mention on the floor? i think you have found the part that the throttle cable goes through.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am

Hey Andy. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Its fun trying to make any thread read with a bit of humour. Oh btw my name is Alex. I get a fair few people think I'm Eddy- which is actually the model name of one of my old classic Mountain bikes.

Moose- yeah cheers for that. Dave Linwood Lane had also mentioned this on RR where I also have a thread up.

Lucky I had the bit although though should also be one on the race car 'soon to be' shell.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 am

I'd have done this update earlier and was in fact in the middle of typing it when my laptop ran out of battery. It then wouldnt start again after plugging in the lead and to cut a long story short I ended up with the laptop in parts all over the dinner table and I'm now typing on a replacement given to us by our friend Will.

Thanks Will!

So anyway..where was I?. The back seat area. There was a fair bit of surface rust and glue to tidy up. I used a brand new Bosch wire cup wheel on the angle grinder and created a dust storm. Hard to make out maybe but here's a shot..

And this is what happened to the wheel...

Not that impressed. My ever long quest to find a wire wheel that lasts a decent amount of time continues.

So after removing all the wire spikes from my overalls I checked out the back seat area. Oooh there's a little bit of rust and some small holes. That shouldn't take long to fix. (you know full well where this is heading)

Next minute...(rolls eyes)

Oh bug-ger. It just keeps going..

I folded up the edges on the bits where the heater hose comes out to avoid sharp edges. I may well not use heater hoses through the channels but best make it some the choice is there..

Phew. Done. Next up. That rotten parcel shelf. Since most of it was going to be removed in order for the top of the Datsun rocker cover to peak its head through I just did this...

With all the floor finished Hannah set to work painting the floor top and bottom with Por15 and Resene industrial 440 epoxy paint. Oh man I love this bit. It always looks so much better. Then she finished off painting in the engine bay up to where I will be welding.

This where its at for now. So many other paying jobs have come in and we want to get them sorted so we shall sneak in bits and pieces on this here and there. One thing I have done already is remove the brake and clutch master cylinders. I may well upgrade the brake master to a tandem item if I can locate one that will fit and have a workable bore size. I just don't like the idea of a hose blowing out and all the brakes disappearing.

S i think I'm right in that the the stock M/C diameter is .625". The sport imps have a servo and use a .700" bore M/C. I need that larger bore size at least because this car has front disc brakes fitted Vented discs and Honda civic sliding calipers. I'd like to avoid want a long of travel, mushy feeling brake pedal. I can measure the piston diameter of the calipers and put it up here.

There is a Lada Niva M/C that apparently bolts right in. I have looked them up and they have a .750" bore. It'll work but the pedal effort will be a bit harder. I don't mind that though.. the Viva wagon currently has a non operative servo so it has a hefty pedal. Ya'll just get used to it eh :-)

More research needed. Ideas from those with experience in mucking about with various setups welcome. I have had a good look through the topics on here and I think I have it sussed. Are there any other tandam M/Cs that might fit? Or at least a good website I can look at where you can search for parts based on bore sizes etc ?
John Simister
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Post by John Simister » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am

Looks great. You certainly dive in if there's any trace of rust infestation. Be careful not to overdo the front wheels' braking power relative to the rears, especially with a heavier engine, otherwise the front wheels will lock too easily on a wet road and you won't stop. As I have discovered several times over the years with two different front-disc systems. If you're going for dual-circuit brakes, maybe consider two separate master cylinders, one for front brakes and one for rear brakes, with the pedal operating an adjustable balance bar between them.
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker » Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am

Just caught up reading this your fabrication skills are spot on it's a great job your doing keep it coming
Gary
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 pm

John Simister wrote:Be careful not to overdo the front wheels' braking power relative to the rears, especially with a heavier engine, otherwise the front wheels will lock too easily on a wet road and you won't stop. As I have discovered several times over the years with two different front-disc systems. If you're going for dual-circuit brakes, maybe consider two separate master cylinders, one for front brakes and one for rear brakes, with the pedal operating an adjustable balance bar between them.
This is certainly my main concern. I can also see that an imp with Will set up front drum brakes is probably fine for most driving. However we have some pretty decent descents here that if driven enthusiastically will create fade on lesser brakes.

I like the idea of a dual stop and balance bar. However this car will most likely be sold on to fund the next imp project so simplicity is the key.
What about a bias /restriction valve on the front circuit? Or is that not the done thing with imps..

I must weigh this datsun engine and see how much extra it actually is. I will be moving the battery to the front to help plus the radiator is in the front.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 pm

tiker wrote:Just caught up reading this your fabrication skills are spot on it's a great job your doing keep it coming
Thanks Gary. Not long to go and it'll be assembly time... :D
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Sun May 27, 2018 5:46 pm

If you have a master cylinder that is too big, you end up with no feel for the braking, and it's terrible in an Imp. I personally run the Viva disc set up (I know there are several others available - all tried and tested etc) and I run without a servo. I tried the Sport 0.7" master cylinder, and it was horrible. After reverting to the standard 0.625" it is far better, and stops very well, even with completely bog standard rear drums.

I have also run Fiat X19 front (sliding caliper) discs, with the same results.

It always helps to have the rear brakes well adjusted all the time though.

Just some more info for you to muse over really.

Keep up the great work!

Oli