What did you do to your Imp today?

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: What did you do to your Imp today?

Post by bks974c »

IMG-20200719-WA0003.jpeg
IMG_20200719_173938.jpg
Continuing working on the Lambda wideband controller project, my engine stand has been away for a number of years at a friends but got dropped off when he was picking up a cam. I've added wheels so I can roll it into a corner then forget about it :lol:. I wanted to be able to test the controller so took Amy's engine which has been sitting for 10 years :shock: :cry: http://forum.theimpclub.co.uk/viewtopic ... 7s+chamois. Where does the time go :o anyhoo it was running when it was removed and dry stored since, couple bits missing - no carb, I sold it as it was a 24mm solex. She was 15 when she first got the car so twin carbs not an option at the time despite it being a 930 with ported head, the base plate for the dizzy also missing -think it was to replace another where the points screw hole was stripped.

Mounted it and then wire up the stand with an electric water pump/ rad fan and fuel pump so I have flexibility to run the engine with either electric or manual as it suits as all switched individually. The push start button is on on a long cable so that I can turn it over and adjust dizzy or carbs at the same time.

I put on a pair of newly rebuild strombergs that are to go on Gordon's Van, modified the exhaust to take the lambda sensor and fitted another base plate with new electronic ignition. After new plugs and oil I attempted to fire it up, got flames for the exhaust so rechecked the timing, had another go and it fired up :D

Had everything I needed apart from some heater hose which I think I have at home, so will take up timing light and carb balancer with me tomorrow and see if we can get it running sweetly then connect up the lambda tool.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

After fitting the heater hoses and filling the cooling system I started setting it up, the lambda controller worked fine but just couldn't get the sweet spot so started digging and it soon be apparent that not 4 cylinder was not at the party. On stripping it down there was minimal clearance on no. 4 exhaust so pulled the head off to find it burnt. I guess Amy's 30000 miles a year had its toll, the bores are good and crank and bearings on the two I pulled looked perfect so will go again with a little work.
IMG-20200720-WA0004.jpeg
Pulled out another engine that was running when it was removed, this time it Karen's engine from her sport- seems we might have been here before :?
It was pretty dirty as I don't like to clean them and then having them sit as it's the best way to have them rust up but came up ok after a pressure wash.
IMG_20200720_182616.jpg
IMG_20200720_182630.jpg
Restart again tomorrow, hopefully better luck this time.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Battery went flat while setting up yesterday so recharged a couple - one to run the engine and the other to power the lambda controller as it seems to use a fair bit of power and test bed not running an alternator at present.

Once they were charged, finished setting up. It's been an interesting exercise, I ended up doing the same as with the twin 40's in that the I set the throttle stop screws to 1&1/2 turns from close and then don't touch them as adjusting them changed the mixture and any less than this caused it to run poorly.

The mixture adjustment tipping point was then easy to find once I had accepted the starting point was much weaker than the factory setting, it required a tiny tiny turn to change the mixture from too weak and starts to stall. It was then possible using the Lambda controller to match both carbs by richening a single carb until the AFR's fall then weaken again to match the other.

Best set up turned out to 13.5 AFR with an idle speed of 1100 rpm.
IMG_20200722_164150.jpg
While I was waiting on the batteries to charge I pulled out another Sport engine, it was one I had bought for the head and it was supposed to be a low mileage engine - aren't they all :lol:

Stripped it down as I don't know it true condition, after pulling the head it's clear it was worth doing as water way around 4 gunked up as they do but all fairly soft.
IMG_20200722_130541.jpg
However the bores and piston clearances look to be excellent and is genuinely a low mileage one. :D

Bearings are mint and would go again as they are but will probably replace along with new rings.
IMG_20200722_140456.jpg
Cleaned up block in preparation of a rebuild.
IMG_20200715_161123.jpg
Oops that's one I did earlier
IMG_20200722_184742.jpg
Today's one

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Started the reassembly of the Sport engine, decided just to put back together as condition was very good and don't have any real use for it as I already have engines for mine and the girls cars when they're restored. :oops:
IMG_20200723_172517.jpg
Scott
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

This might be a silly question, but has anyone used an engine stand like this? The studs on the Imp engine are too short for the moveable mounting arms so I was thinking of drilling suitable holes in the plate they attach to instead. Alternatively, using a bellhousing/diff case to bolt to instead.
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
John A Ross
Car Model: TOO MANY !

Post by John A Ross »

20200724_111112.jpg
I made a specific bracket so I can get into flywheel area a bit easier. For the VW flat 4 I just use a different yoke. Only 2 engines type ever been mounted on it and I found the arms pretty useless
- John A. Ross
-----------------
https://www.nx16.com || https://www.hillmanimp.org || Or find me on Facebook !
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been waiting on the call to get the Van up to use a friends sand blasting equipment, got it this morning when I was out picking stuff up - typical :roll:

So beetled it back to the shed and grabbed the trailer as the Van already loaded but had to clear all the junk from around the trailer first as you do. :oops:

Nice dry day but rain in the forecast for this evening so under pressure to get it done and home before it rains.
IMG_20200724_180725.jpg
IMG_20200724_180739.jpg
IMG_20200724_180756.jpg
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Scott
John A Ross
Car Model: TOO MANY !

Post by John A Ross »

johnh875 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:03 am Thanks Brian and John for the replies. I would rather not remove the bellhousing studs if not necessary, even leaving the clutch on would save some work. I'll see how I go with a bracket.
John

I dont remove any of the studs at all, if you look at the end of the tubing there are flanges and the bellhousing stud fits through there and you just bolt it up.

My mate Paul does remove the studs, usually ending up having to loctite them back in (can only do that so much) as he uses same stand but with the adjustable arms and that was just way too much hassle for me, plus the size of the rounds on the arms and proximity to the flywheel blocl really most work on clutch if I recall.

With that "custom" plate I made Flywheel is free and you can bolt a starter in, fit clutch (including alignment tool) and run it.

The flanges point inwards towards the flywheel. Only took me a couple of hours to knock up. Work looking around what spare bits are in the shed. The tubing I used is just old eletrical steel conduit, the back plates are just a few layers of 2mm steel plate stitched together to make it thicker.
1112.jpg
- John A. Ross
-----------------
https://www.nx16.com || https://www.hillmanimp.org || Or find me on Facebook !
jetmech
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by jetmech »

johnh875 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 am This might be a silly question, but has anyone used an engine stand like this? The studs on the Imp engine are too short for the moveable mounting arms so I was thinking of drilling suitable holes in the plate they attach to instead. Alternatively, using a bellhousing/diff case to bolt to instead.
I use one, but I do remove 3 bell housing studs, although that has never been a problem.
710CB05F-34FE-4BCA-8D89-AE334D9674B7.jpeg
Simon Imp004
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Another run out in the Chamois over to see Mr & Mrs Chairman. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

DSC_1450.JPG
All cleaned up and washed out with degeaser. Dried and reassembled with the pinion end cap filled with lubricant, rack smeared with same and right hand end cap filled up too. After a cup of tea, i shall endeavour to refit it to the car. 😐

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

DSC_1452.JPG
DSC_1453.JPG
All done and road tested. Just need to sort out a squeezy bottle for the remaining lube, accessible via the near side wheel arch, with the wheel removed. 😊

Andy G

PS, I hope Peter Nunney approves. 😇
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Finally got around to fully rebuild the SU carbs, took 2 days actually, ive had for the past 2 years and mounted them on a proper SU Imp conversion manifold ready to bung on and try at some point seeing as they are suppose to be the bees knees :lol:
049.jpg
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

How queer is that ? I've been refurbing a pair of Strombergs for a member north of Hadrians Wall 😊 And they ARE the bees leg hinges ! 😂
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

617sqn wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:54 pm How queer is that ? I've been refurbing a pair of Strombergs for a member north of Hadrians Wall 😊 And they ARE the bees leg hinges ! 😂
Me too, rebuilding a set of Strombergs to go with a rebuilt engine.
IMG-20200811-WA0003.jpg
Scott
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

All done, bar the fuel links.

Andy G
DSC_1460.JPG
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

IMG_20200823_104217.jpg
Just about the last piece of the puzzle.

Scott
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

RoyBlunt wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 pm Took Suzy for a run around some of the old Wicked Welsh Weekend roads near the old WWW base at Pandy. Great weather, quiet roads, lovely run in the sun celebrating my birthday a day late!!!

Roy Imp011
Your roads were quiet because all everyone else was the on A470 going to Storey Arms and Pen y Fan! Never seen so many cars there. If people just took 5 minutes to look there are plenty of quieter places to go and still have the views.
Wales looking stunning and rain has kept it nice and green!
068.JPG
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Got around to taking a photo today :

Andy G
rhydian_mason
Car Model: Hillman Imp mk2, Hillman Imp Husky, Clan

Post by rhydian_mason »

Refurbed a set of CD3 strommies for Dad's Clan.
"an aversion to corners and a tendency to spin at the slightest provocation"
rhydian_mason
Car Model: Hillman Imp mk2, Hillman Imp Husky, Clan

Post by rhydian_mason »

New plates today.
"an aversion to corners and a tendency to spin at the slightest provocation"
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne »

Not work on the nymph and I didn't do it but I now have a deep hole where half of my new garage will be :D
Final size should be 18x29 feet.with 7x29 feet sunk by 2feet to keep the neighbours happy .
Although not a level floor I should still fit 2 cars in tandem in one half .
Mikey
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Today I etch primed the last pair of alternative rear hatch friction stays i will ever make. They are destined for Stan, just because. Nowt wrong with those in there at the moment which I made maybe 12 or 13 years back, but I will keep those as spares. I like the newness of new things. 8)

Andy G
20200915_172236.jpg
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne »

Today I did some work on the truck ,with the help of my big bro.
Long way to go but its started
:D
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne »

more work on the truck yesterday :D
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

I'm still around too - see other post. 8)
IMG-20200911-WA0011.jpg
IMG_20200921_131719.jpg
IMG_20200921_131734.jpg
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

No, Andy the Marina is behind me in the photo.
IMG-20200408-WA0003.jpg
That's the Frankenstein Mustang/Jaguar/Marina monster.
IMG-20200625-WA0005.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Girls and I completed the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I got for Christmas.
IMG-20210111-WA0002.jpg
Scott
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Not actually ,work to the Imp .
After recent sales somewhat depleted stock , l finished off a batch of windscreen washer jet kits
IMG_20210212_141228016.jpg
Just message me or contact 07960168749 if interested in buying.

Bob
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty »

Gave EXF a wash today, 7 months since the last one ... slightly overdue :lol:

Matt
Imp007 Imp009
Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

New tyres for Gracie.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Modified air filter housing for Van
IMG_20210307_171045.jpg
IMG_20210307_171056.jpg
Scott
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp

Post by RoyBlunt »

If it had suddenly gone from firing on all 4 down to 3 cylinders when you were actually on the road I'm sure that you would have noticed straight away Andy! However - I experienced the same sort of effect after one of Suzy's plug leads (No 1 again) somehow came off during an MOT test. As I drove her away she didn't seem quite right but there was no misfire or roughness at all. I drove like that for about 15 miles to get home thinking, like you, that the timing had slipped. Fortunately the real problem stared me in the face when I opened the engine cover. Surprising though - I'd have expected the occasional backfire at the very least.

Good to hear the van is running and back on the road. Hope to see you soon!

Roy Imp011
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Not in the Imp
But Imp improvements , another batch of Windscreen washers nearly finished , aluminium caps for brake & clutch fluid resevoir & oil filler cap , will be making same for fuel filler caps soon (or at least try to)
IMG_20210723_111400613.jpg
IMG_20210723_111348749.jpg
IMG_20210723_133446628.jpg
IMG_20210723_133415019.jpg
IMG_20210723_133313308.jpg
Anyone interested?
Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Friday is generally my playing at Imp bits at work and next Friday is Finish these. They do look nice close up! :D
IMG_20210723_111400613.jpg
Waiting on material for caps

You're on the list Dave, just below JR

Bob Imp005
RoyBlunt

Post by RoyBlunt »

Two days worth here. Yesterday we had a small family party to celebrate our Golden Wedding. Suzy has been a constant part of that relationship from the very beginning – she couldn’t be with us in the party room but was there in icing form on the cake (made by Dawn’s youngest sister). Today Suzy took us back to our honeymoon hotel – where she had taken us all those years ago. Same car, same hotel, same happy couple - just a bit older!

Dawn & Roy Imp011
Cake & car.JPG
Hotel & car.JPG
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill »

Wow! Fabulous.
Many (60?) Congratulations!
Gill
GIllian Hill
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 »

RoyBlunt wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:07 pm Two days worth here. Yesterday we had a small family party to celebrate our Golden Wedding.
Congratulations Roy and Dawn. Wow, 50 years, a real achievement these days. Suzy must be very proud of you both! Lovely.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Roy and Dawn

Congratulation on your Golden Wedding Anniversary, a major milestone indeed.

Scott
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

A major achievement indeed not many can say that now, similarly not many can say I've worked for this company for 50 years too, but I can say I've nearly owned an IMP for 50 years :D
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Congratulations Dawn and Roy. My parents celebrated their 66th anniversary in March!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
jetmech

Post by jetmech »

Roy and Dawn, congratulations on a very special milestone.

Simon Imp004
RoyBlunt

Post by RoyBlunt »

Thanks for all the kind messages.

Dawn & Roy Imp011