What did you do to your Imp today?

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

bazzateer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Re: What did you do to your Imp today?

Post by bazzateer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Brought it back from the Full English after driving it around Devon and Somerset.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Repairing bonnet and interesting to see the result of the factory adjustment to get the alignment right.
IMG_20190624_141448.jpg
They have just given the rear corner a good whack to align it with the scuttle panel, it's not surprising then that replacements don't fit well. I'm sticking with the original

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Bonnet repairs, rather than continuously weld the repair and then have to grind off decided to spot weld it with local seam welds.
IMG_20190625_181228.jpg
IMG_20190625_181239.jpg
IMG_20190625_181312.jpg
IMG_20190625_181337.jpg
IMG_20190625_181459.jpg
Scott
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 am

bks974c wrote:Repairing bonnet and interesting to see the result of the factory adjustment to get the alignment right.

They have just given the rear corner a good whack to align it with the scuttle panel, it's not surprising then that replacements don't fit well. I'm sticking with the original

Scott
Nothing like a bit of percussion adjustment!
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:17 am

Never seen that where the factory has done that, I bet its either a dealer rectification because the owner complained about water getting into the front because the seal wasn't sitting right or its had a bump in the past,?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 am

The Nun wrote:Never seen that where the factory has done that, I bet its either a dealer rectification because the owner complained about water getting into the front because the seal wasn't sitting right or its had a bump in the past,?
Nope, definitely factory. Factory paint, no repairs prior to mine. Would have been normal practice back in the day and exactly the same as you would try when fitting a poorly fitting one today. A block of wood a heavy hammer and a good whack 8) tightens the radius nicely.

Scott
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am

I dont know if I would do that today, it does look rather a mess and its easy to get around and do the adjustment properly, but I suppose on the line they wouldnt have time to recut and weld at that stage, still a bodge though isnt it? Im all for keeping it as original but not in situations like that.

When I bought my Chamois, the previous owner said if you find anything that doesnt fit its how it was when it left the factory, which was rubbish as they had had taken the doors off in the past thus upsetting any factory setting, it was a excuse to cover their bad workmanship up more like.
Same as leaving the frayed door seals on, I didnt replace those as the new ones dont look right? but frayed does? and I didnt replace the carpets as new ones dont fit, but original ones with hole in the footwells look ok?

I always think to myself no if youre bothering to do a job, sort it out and put it how it supposed to be to the best of my ability, the cars werent designed to look bad Im sure?
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 am

Absolutely agree, Peter. Nothing wrong with getting things to fit the way they were actually intended to.

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 pm

The Nun wrote:I dont know if I would do that today, it does look rather a mess and its easy to get around and do the adjustment properly, but I suppose on the line they wouldnt have time to recut and weld at that stage, still a bodge though isnt it? Im all for keeping it as original but not in situations like that.

When I bought my Chamois, the previous owner said if you find anything that doesnt fit its how it was when it left the factory, which was rubbish as they had had taken the doors off in the past thus upsetting any factory setting, it was a excuse to cover their bad workmanship up more like.
Same as leaving the frayed door seals on, I didnt replace those as the new ones dont look right? but frayed does? and I didnt replace the carpets as new ones dont fit, but original ones with hole in the footwells look ok?

I always think to myself no if youre bothering to do a job, sort it out and put it how it supposed to be to the best of my ability, the cars werent designed to look bad Im sure?
Peter

Multiple uses still for a hammer and block of wood particularly getting the doors to fit properly, you can only do so much with the hinges and shims, sometimes the only recourse is the above tools as I can't stand the doors not being flush with both the wings and rear quarters - all the way down.
IMG_20180714_124255.jpg
Last years restoration project

You'll be glad I'm off the same view - do your best, so you can sleep easy tonight as I cut out and replaced the rippled section.
IMG_20190626_153928.jpg
Probably went a bit too far and stripped the bonnet apart to clean the inside of the panels :o
IMG_20190626_154343.jpg
First time I've seen the factory dip coating on a door usually the doors have seen work and no longer visible.
IMG_20190626_180946.jpg
Scott
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Looks like a Chrysler door as well? I reskinned a passenger one today, 1966, no sign of dipping on that one
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am

Did some more sorting & unpacking in the garage, including turning the car around and putting it in the back corner in anticipation of perhaps collecting a car or two from storage on the weekend (6hr round trip...). Under the bench at right are the gearboxes plus some wheel rims and other parts, and in one of the tubs is another SOHC aluminium cylinder head - I should take a photo for contrast, 4.0L 6-cyl vs 875cc 4!
Attachments
Imp Wednesday.jpg
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am

Done nowt to the Nymph.
Still sitting where it rolled off my truck after last year's national
Attachments
20190627_162802.jpg
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am

Sad, Mikey. Sad. :(

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Today I finished the fitting of the glove box, originally started years ago, that needed the near side left hand end panel and boomerang trim put in place. My mate Trevor supplied the metal piece, and I had the plastic part in stock. So, whilst I was outdoors and doing something useful, I thought I'd fit the electric solenoid bonnet opening thingy ( something else I've had for years). All went reasonably well, but the solenoid just isn't strong enough to pull on the arm at the length of the travel of the operating cable. So out it came again, to be reboxed ready to sell on to someone with a different set-up. Its actually described as a "Trunk" popper, so one of the custom guys might like it.

Andy G.Image Stan
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:30 pm

617sqn wrote:Today I finished the fitting of the glove box, originally started years ago, that needed the near side left hand end panel and boomerang trim put in place. My mate Trevor supplied the metal piece, and I had the plastic part in stock. So, whilst I was outdoors and doing something useful, I thought I'd fit the electric solenoid bonnet opening thingy ( something else I've had for years). All went reasonably well, but the solenoid just isn't strong enough to pull on the arm at the length of the travel of the operating cable. So out it came again, to be reboxed ready to sell on to someone with a different set-up. Its actually described as a "Trunk" popper, so one of the custom guys might like it.

Andy G.Image Stan
OK mines a Clan, but my electric bonnet popper works directly on the catch - not connected to the cable. I left the cable alone - retained for emergency use. These poppers (£3.90 inc rod and fittings off Ebay) come with a rod to bend /adapt to the catch. I drilled the sliding end plate of the catch and threaded the rod through -suitable bent to pull the catch directly and cleanly. The solenoid is mounted solidly to the nearby body work. The solenoid only needs to move about 5mm to pop the bonnet. Also these poppers are power/current/voltage hungry for an efficient pop. I used relays and good connectors and a good momentary switch to provide the umph necessary. And you need to position the 'pull alignment' carefully to minimise energy losses.

One other point - the solenoid needs to be partially retracted to get the best pop. If the solenoid arm is all the way out at the end of its travel it doesn't pop as strongly as when halfway retracted. Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 pm

That's interesting : the cables supplied aren't good enough, but I would have used them on the feed to the relay, and bigger capacity cables to the solenoid. I have to admit I used the full travel, but the end was connected at the top next to the catch itself. I may have another go sometime if I've not ebayed it.

Andy G
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 am

On Saturday took my green Imp to Maffra, our car club is participating in a display of Bygone British Brands (isn't that nearly all of them?!?), we had 16 cars in total from 1930s on, with one other Imp. Then on Sunday while I had the van & trailer brought another Imp home and a heap of parts. All told 1,000km covered.
Attachments
Imp display.jpg
RGCC display.jpg
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Today I went for a short drive into town and on my return decided to zip the Nenette brush over and around. Then I wondered what to do next as it was too hot in the sun for much in the way of physical stuff, so I took the passenger side TEX stainless steel bullet mirror apart, cleaned it up and re-assembled it with the drain hole actually at the bottom this time :roll: Not a great deal of point having it at the top, eh ?

Andy G
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:00 pm

A couple of out of the ordinary things - a combined SU intake & exhaust; I suppose a muffler could be added, I can't imagine it would be much louder than one of the cars I drove where the exhaust pipe into the body of the muffler had rusted and didn't join any more?

Also something has been chewing on the bellhousing of one of the gearboxes - possibly a clutch?
Attachments
Imp manifold exhaust.jpg
Imp bellhousing.jpg
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 pm

Looks possibly like damage from a flailing detached driveshaft or did someone drill an inspection hole to replace dislodged release bearing springs rather than remove the engine? :o
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 am

Actually I like that suggestion more - a clutch would have made a bigger hole. I'm not sure how many years ago, about 10, one of the local racers had a clutch explode on the 1-2 shift starting a race; afterwards the gearbox was not connected to the engine any more and he picked the block clutch mounts out of the pile of bellhousing pieces to weld back on.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Looks possibly like damage from a flailing detached driveshaft or did someone drill an inspection hole to replace dislodged release bearing springs rather than remove the engine? :o
Definitely looks like a series of holes drilled then plate knocked out for access.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:21 pm

bazzateer wrote: Definitely looks like a series of holes drilled then plate knocked out for access.
The cowboy method and I bet the garage invoiced "remove and refit engine to carry out repair 5 hours at 100 quid an hour, where as all it took was a drill bit and ten minutes, but joking aside, a garage actually did that to a friends Viva to replace the brake master cylinder to save taking out the pedal assembly for both clutch and brake they just chopped an access hole in the floor and left it open.

Did nothing on the IMP today, shifted 6 tons of gravel for the garden.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Well I think it's a good idea to have an inspection hole / key-hole surgery access as std...those pesky release bearing springs do frequently go AWOL! :
Clan004
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 pm

The Nun wrote:shifted 6 tons of gravel for the garden.
Don't forget to water it or it'll never grow into pretty rocks.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Well I think it's a good idea to have an inspection hole :
Clan004
Ey it is but you might have thought they would have used a proper hole cutter and put a rubber bung in after the job wouldn't you? :?
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 pm

The Nun wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Well I think it's a good idea to have an inspection hole :
Clan004
Ey it is but you might have thought they would have used a proper hole cutter and put a rubber bung in after the job wouldn't you? :?
Who's looking?
Function trumps aesthetics at the end of the day! :lol:
Clan004
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Who's looking?
Function trumps aesthetics at the end of the day! :lol:
Clan004
Shows the state of a person's work ethics, must also :lol: go with untidy wiring and ill fitting doors on IMPs
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Quite. A tidy bench (hole cut in a bellhousing) = a tidy mind. Or something...... Can't remember :lol:

Andy G
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Less weight, more performance!
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Rubbed down and painted the front panel (at last) as it had damage caused by a petrol spillage some while back. Can't rush these things. Just need to go online and find replacement trim clips, as most snapped on removal.

Andy G
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 pm

Malc will have the clips you will have them the next day if you ask him for them.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Today, in a desperate attempt to find the clips I was certain I had in the garage, I took same apart. I successfully discovered loads of bits I can't recall ever buying as well as filling two black sacks up with junk ! I found 1 clip of the small square variety which would work and 1 of the 3 prong sort. But no more. Being unusually tight because I'm skint at the moment I decided to utilise what I already have, so I glued stainless steel dome headed set screws into the channel of the trims using JB Weld. They've already set, so tomorrow I'll polish them up before fitting once the paintwork is finished :D

Andy G
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 pm

617sqn wrote:. Being unusually tight because I'm skint at the moment I decided to utilise what I already have, so I glued stainless steel dome headed set screws into the channel of the trims using JB Weld. They've already set, so tomorrow I'll polish them up before fitting once the paintwork is finished :D

Andy G
Don't forget to post a photo of your inventive idea then 8)
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:35 pm

OK. Tomorrow.

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Here we are then, just for Peter. Stainless dome head screw with a washer under the head slid from the open end and positioned as necessary. JB Weld squeezed into the void to affix and locate, then filed off flat when dry. I will probably put a bit of rtv sealer around each as I push them through the front panel. Screws will be shortened a little so they don't protrude too far into the void.

Andy G
Attachments
DSC_1014.JPG
DSC_1015.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:48 am

Good idea probably better than clips anyway then someone can't come along and pop one off :D
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Paintwork flatted off and polished over the weekend and centre "Hillman" badge and above trims refitted. I also did a refresh on the auxiliary driving lights, stripped the mounting bar down and today it got an etch prime and topcoat, ready for 2 pack lacquer later in the week. Additionally, again at the weekend, I removed the glove box latch as I found a brand new similar item with 2 keys among the stock items I've been preparing for eBay sale. It wasn't an Imp item but the actual barrel was the same. You can't replace the barrel without a bit of careful bending and manipulation, unless you want to drill away the staking and replace certain parts using small set screws. Now back in the car and lockable. :D

Andy G
Last edited by 617sqn on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Sum total of car fixorage this week so far.

Re-stuff some foam in the Singers passenger sunvisor as the bit i stuck in a few years back moved :roll: - ive done it different this time so it shouldnt happen again .

Having a factory fitted vanity mirror helps with this job , remove mirror , fit foam through the hole then refit mirror :lol:
Attachments
66122285_10220009725493119_6553160885764882432_n.jpg
Formally known as " Noddy "
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:39 pm

There you go, I never knew Imps ever had vanity mirrors! Mind you Singers are very thin on the ground out here.