EHK 744G - 1969 Super

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: EHK 744G - 1969 Super

Post by bks974c » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 am

Comparing left and right sheets, the right looks like the shielding gas was set wrongly. not enough. What gas are you using ?

Trying to run a continuous bead on 1mm does tend to blow through, what's happening is the heats building up as you move forward and it melts away in front of you. The simplest way past this is to run shorter runs and allow to cool slightly between them, simply pausing for a moment and then continuing without lift the nozzle works nicely. For even thinner metal overlapping dots of weld works well and you can turn up the settings without burn through for good penetration.

Good Luck
Scott
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am

What size wire or you using I find .6 is lot better for thin material
Try just tacking first then tack and move the tip in a half circular motion to extend it then let it cool and start again moving upwards in a different spot to distribute the heat then fill in the spaces between
Regards Gary
Gary
Pog
Car Model: 1969 Super 'Betty'

Post by Pog » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 pm

Ah no, the left sheet was flipped around, so that's the underside which is why they look different. I'm using 0.8mm flux cored wire (gasless), although I did choose a welder which was able to run gas as well if I wanted to go that way. I liked the idea of gasless welding as it's one less thing to think about, and as a beginner I wanted to simplify things. Plus having to constantly replace empty gas bottles sounds annoying!

Ahhh, no wonder I kept blowing through, no matter how much I played with the settings. Lots of short tack welds on the thin stuff, got it. I think I'll still practice on some thicker metal just so I get comfortable with torch positioning.

I knew I could count on you guys for some pointers, I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on.

Pog
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Pog

Ditch the gasless wire you will never get good welds with it and switch to 0.6 wire.

BOC do a hobby welder deal which is cracking value although they are putting up the prices in Jan.

2020 prices

Rental for year £52
Bottle of gas £40
Collection £6
Plus Vat

Get it before the year end it will cost less and no collection fee, go for the Argoshield Light. For many years I used the universal but definite improvement in weld quality on thin stuff with the light.

It's not a problem returning the bottle after you've finished welding, if you return after 6 months you get 6 months rental back.

Scott
Roy Sims
Club Member: No
Car Model: Spaceframe Stilletto

Post by Roy Sims » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:50 am

You could try Adams Gas, you pay a bit more for the gas but no rental, keep the bottle for as long as you like. So if you have to do more welding you have the gas.
Roy
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:14 am

The amount of gas in Adams and others without rental is much much less than BOC I did go go down that road at one time, they are ideal if you only weld occasionally bit initially guess you will find plenty to weld.

Scott