EHK 744G - 1969 Super

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

EdN
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois, Imp Super (998)

Re: EHK 744G - 1969 Super - first venture into car restorati

Post by EdN » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Pog, Good to see that you have finally found your car.
Here in Northampton we have a thriving Imp community with a wealth of Imp
Restoration experience and knowledge and support. If you need any help or advice, can I
suggest that you make contact with our area centre person, Richard Nikel, or any of us
who may be able to short cut any queries that you may have in the future.
We usually meet for a beer and a natter at the Cock inn in Roade on the third Wednesday of the month.
Contact Richard (his details are in Impressions).
Whereabouts are you in Northampton? I am in Kingsthorpe.
Good luck with the car!
Ed Nikel
Pog
Car Model: 1969 Super 'Betty'

Post by Pog » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 pm

bazzateer wrote:The garage looks a bit dark. Looks like you may have power. I'd recommend painting the walls an ceiling with a few coats of white emulsion and fitting a couple of cheap flourescent lights before you start on the car. It'll make a huge difference.
Some helpful advice there. I didn't think it was that dark (there is a single fluorescent tube at the moment) until I was actually inside the car removing things and realised how dingy it was! So that will definitely be a spring side project when temperatures are better for painting. Thank you.
EdN wrote:Hi Pog, Good to see that you have finally found your car.
Whereabouts are you in Northampton? I am in Kingsthorpe.
Good luck with the car!
Ed Nikel
A great idea Ed, I will do just that. I'm based in Grange Park, so nice and close to Roade too. Look forward to finally getting to know you all.

Today I spent some time removing most of the interior that I was able to (most of it was already loose inside the car) and felt very excited that it all seems every bit as complete and solid as the previous owner explained to me. There were all the door trims, sunvisors, original headlining, dashboard etc, promising that it's all here. Plus I found a rather nice looking steering wheel, no idea what it's from but I do like the look of it!

ImageIMG_20181215_113747 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

The original under-carpet lining was completely intact too. I understand this is very hard to replace, would it suitable to reuse?

ImageIMG_20181215_123009 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Beneath showed the floor to be in remarkable condition. And perhaps the sky blue is the original colour? I've always had in my head I'd like my Imp to be Oxford blue (my favourite colour), but it might be nice to keep it the factory colour... we'll see. I'll have plenty of time to sleep on it.

ImageIMG_20181215_122531 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Being able to see inside all the box sections, they're all covered in a brown oily substance - is this waxoyl or similar? Could be why the car seems so solid?

Pog
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:11 pm

That's a Stiletto steering wheel just missing its centre cap
Keith
Dorset ACO
Pog

Post by Pog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming wrote:That's a Stiletto steering wheel just missing its centre cap
Oh awesome! That'll do nicely.

Exciting thing came through the post for me today... The V5 for the car in my name! It's official!

The previous owner even gave me a small folder which included the original registration document for the car and a whole load of previous MOT certificates, the last one from 1993. So I imagine that was the last time it was on the road. Cool little bit of history to keep with the car.

Pog
Bobbycham
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Bobbycham » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Better than a boring old Christmas card ?
l got my Jan edition of Impressions today , that was a shock .

Good advert in there for an internal fuel tank filter (PLUG PLUG) !!!!!
Seems like a good idea, seems to work well :wink: :wink:

Bob Imp005
Last edited by Bobbycham on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Especially as the Chairmans Christmas wishes are in the past tense. I think there has been a tear in the space-time continuum :shock:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Good luck with your restoration lots of help on here if you do upgrade the lighting I would recommend daylight tubes no more expensive but they will make a huge difference especially if you paint anything
Regards Gary
Gary
Pog

Post by Pog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks guys.

Quick question. I'm currently sorting through the years worth of parts that have come with the car. Old rubber window seals and hoses, which are clearly hard and splitting - clearly not suitable to be used anymore, but do they have any other uses anywhere else or are they only good for the bin?

Don't want to be throwing things away which I will regret later!

Pog
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Not really, if theyre old and perished chuck them once you have the replacements, but not before you have them then you can compare what youve got to replace them with with what was originally fitted just in case there are discrepancies, the seals and hoses are readily available now so old ones that have gone beyond a usable state dont need to be kept as possible patterns for anything.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Pog

Post by Pog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Spent a good few hours in the garage on Sunday, continuing to dismantle the car. Rear seat bench and frame is out (that's the interior completely bare now), rear window hatch is out, engine lid is off, bumpers are off and the rear crossmember is off too.

One trivial little thing that's stumped me though, is how do you remove the rear number plate? It's a Super, so it has the large silver trim plate on the lid. I've removed the plastic clips holding this in place, but the number plate is keeping it fixed. Don't want to force it too hard in case I damage the large trim.

I then started to remove the bitumen sound deadening as the rear shelf as it's looking a bit rusty around there. It's chiseling off in large chunks and revealing clean, strong metal underneath, so looks like I've caught it in good time (was this just added to bare metal and painted over?!). Something I've noticed though is a hole in the corner underneath this bitumen, plugged with a grommet. This hole is the engine bay on the other side, so clearly moisture and dirt makes its way past this grommet and just sits underneath the sound deadening. Is there a use for this hole and grommet? Surely it would make sense to weld it up to make the shelf solid and prevent any moisture entering? Photo below:

ImageIMG_20190210_165812 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Appreciate your advice.

Pog
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 am

The holes are factory paint drains so it all drains away after the car has been through the wash and dip process, there should be steel plugs pressed in to seal them off afterwards but a rubber grommet would do now.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:40 am

The bitumen was applied to the red primer coat to act as a soundproofer and then smooth off the ribs so the rubber matting sat flat, it was then over painted with body colour, the sealant goes brittle with age and leaking window seal let's water get underneath it and rust out the shelf completely in some cases.
Early cars had a steel plate over the ribs instead of the bitumen.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am

The silver decorative engine lid panel is held by the 6 plastic rivets and usually the cars registration plate fixings which are drilled right through and secured with a plastic screw and nut or self tapper, and also any lights, such as reversing lights, screwed on badges etc which need removing too, if youve removed all that and its still stuck securely in place I would think someone has used double sided sticky pads as well to hold it.
If you get a thin piece of nylon string and run it behind the plate top and bottom and use it like a saw action if there are adhesive pads it will saw through them releasing it without the risk of trying to peel the trim off and distorting it?
yoeddynz
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Post by yoeddynz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 pm

This is going to be a fun thread to follow. Its always fun to re-live the 'first forays into classic car fettling' through newbie threads like this :-) I'm excited for you. It looks like you do indeed have a very solid looking base to start with! I wish my floors had been like that.

I agree with Bazzateers comment- painting the inside of your garage bright white will make a huge difference to the light. You are lucky to have what appears to be a very new clean dry garage! Lucky that Imps are so tiny as well :-)
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
Pog

Post by Pog » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:42 pm

yoeddynz wrote:This is going to be a fun thread to follow. Its always fun to re-live the 'first forays into classic car fettling' through newbie threads like this :-) I'm excited for you. It looks like you do indeed have a very solid looking base to start with! I wish my floors had been like that.
Ah thank you so much! I certainly do feel very lucky.

And thanks Nun for your comments. Managed to figure out the rear number plate - there were some metal rivets holding it all together, I drilled them out and everything came off nicely. Unsure what's factory and what isn't!

Spent today clearing some more bitumen from the floorpan. This is much thicker than the stuff on the parcel shelf and was much more rubbery, not chiseling off as easily. A tip I picked up from a friend was to use pipe freezer spray, of all things. This stuff is used by plumbers who need to do localised repair works to water pipes, but when used on the bitumen it flash freezes it and causes it to go brittle and so chips right off! 2 x 400ml cans (which I thought would be enough) got me through the N/S, so ordered some more to do the O/S. But the floor is as solid as it looks and so feeling very affirmed!

Question - There are purple/white wires that run along the top of the screen and into the A pillar on both sides. Where do they connect to? The rest of the wiring on the car has already been removed, so figure I might as well take this out too, just to get down to the bare shell.

Pog
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Earth's to the door switches ? For the interior light maybe ?

Andy G
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 pm

617sqn wrote:Earth's to the door switches ? For the interior light maybe ?

Andy G
Correct.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:15 pm

Not like me to recall something correctly from the comfort of my settee :lol:

Andy G
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:02 pm

All going well there Pog.
Still plenty of enthusiasm being shown. :D
Wait till you start investing in new or better parts (garage won't be big enough) well that's what l'm finding. :roll:
Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Pog

Re: EHK 744G - 1969 Super - feel in way over my head!

Post by Pog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi all,

Definitely still enthusiastic, but this weekend's work has been a mix of highs and lows! Highs:

Finished the sound deadening removal! I realise most of you would have done this in a day rather than the 3 weekends it's taken me, but I'm enjoying the journey! Bit of surface rust in the corners, but overall definitely solid enough. In due course I plan to strip the rest of the interior down to bare metal and use Bilt Hamber deox gel to remove the rust before priming to protect. Sound deadening will be replaced with those sheets, dynamat or similar.

ImageIMG_20190331_160558 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190407_122804 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Removed the door switches and wiring (thanks Andy G and Nun), tried not to damage the rubber grommet they go through, but 50yr old rubber just crumbled right away (no surprise!). I also managed to successfully remove the quarter lights from the doors - although this brings me onto the lows...

ImageIMG_20190407_143625 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

My haynes manual doesn't include things like this and so I'm realising just how much of absolutely no idea what I am doing! So my approach is you won't learn until you try - but I'm worried I'm damaging things I shouldn't be. The felt channels in the doors are made of really malleable metal and I've completely bent those out of shape trying to remove them. Are replacement items for these available?

ImageIMG_20190407_143610 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

With the quarter lights removed I thought I would remove the doors. (I'm a bit loathed to remove them though, the panel gaps are so good as they are! And I've heard Imp doors are a nightmare to hang, but if I'm to do a proper job on the painting, they need to come off). Is it just the removal of the 8 screws on the plates attached to the body? Because I simply couldn't get them to budge. And even then, how does the check strap pin come off?

ImageIMG_20190407_143527 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Looks like someone has cut a massive hole in the N/S door too, wonder what that was for...

ImageIMG_20190407_143543 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Defeated by the doors, I thought I'd gain a small victory tackling the rear hatch window. I know this is a common spot on these cars, and seems this is the most rusted part I've come across. Removed the crusty seal and have left the screws holding the frame together soaking with penetrating fluid as they wouldn't budge either. But what do you think, is this too far gone?

ImageIMG_20190407_151128 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Really not quite sure where to go from here. The next step I'm aiming for is to get the car on the rotisserie that came with the car, which would enable me to remove the underseal and refurbish the suspension components. But can't really do that until the doors are off. Help!

Pog
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Hmmm. :( That hatch looks fubared to me, judging by the image. If you can SAFELY get some heat onto the door hinge screws, they may turn for you. But, make certain that the screwdriver you are using is of the correct size. Your average posidrive no. 2 will not cut it. Many people resort to using an impact driver to start them off. If its at all possible, score around the hinge inside the recess, so you have a reference mark for later on, when refitting. If any hinge has a shim/spacer behind it, be sure to keep them either labelled for placement or keep them attached to their relevant hinge. Good luck - great progress 8) The window channel rubbers are available, as are the correct external glass wiping rubbers. Beware of losing the clips, which are a pain (literally) to put back on. Your extra hole will help :D

Andy G
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am

When removing doors (if you really feel you have to), I find that if you grind away the threaded part of the bolts that protrudes into the wheel arch through the welded captive nuts, then you will find that the heat will allow you to then undo what's left. Then fit new (stainless?) ones when refitting.

You may need an impact driver with a large bit to get them undone anyway. Then use solid steel plates the same as the top internally captive ones to replace the crappy tinny ones at the bottom on the outside.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 am

Door check strap is secured by a rivet, it cant be removed unless you grind away the bottom of the rivet where it protrudes then knock it out, you will need a new one to replace it with or as many do fit an small threaded screw and nyloc nut.

The hole has been done I suspect to make it easy for someone the reassemble the window in its runners, you work blind and by feel to some extent normally, I cant think its for a speaker as there wouldnt be the depth behind unless you never wound the window down?
However the more holes you cut into the door the more you risk getting water onto the rear of the door trim, into the door pockets and into the car so thats best avoided to unless you refit blanking plates to seal it off afterwards.

The top hinge screws normally come out easily with an impact driver but the bottoms will no doubt require heating first, or drill them though with a slightly smaller drill than the thread size from the head end so they shear off, then you can remove the remnants from the exterior underwing door plate afterwards and maybe able to reuse it if its not too rusted? The underwing plate is loose by the way its not welded in position, once the screws are removed it should just fall off, its just held by the door screws once tightened up.

As for the rear window, you cant risk repairing it if it needs welding without dismantling it because of the glass, getting the glass out can be another challenge without further damaging a weak frame, plus the metal section is thin and complicated to reproduce, youre better off looking for a complete one in better condition.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Good progress there. I am constantly amazed and quite jealous of the condition of your car with respect to rust. Amazing for a car that has had its life in Blighty. Must have been well looked after eh.

The others have given the same sort of advice I was going to offer on your doors. The hinge screws on all of the Imps I had been mucking about with in my restoration were very tight. I used my impact driver. If I was you I'd buy one- they are pretty cheap and you'll use it often in life. Most drivers will come with a variety of decent bits including the proper sized bit for the door screws.

Heat the back of the bottom plate with a small gas torch. concentrate around the nuts but not on the ends of the screws. Spray some plus gas etc on while hot. continue. Work on breaking the corrosion. However going by the rest of your car I reckon the screws wont be that bad- just tight.
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
Pog

Post by Pog » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Some great advice mentioned. Got myself and impact driver - best £15 I've ever spent! What a great little tool. After cleaning the inside of wheel arch it loosened the lower hinge bolts easily enough, but the top hinge bolts still won't budge! Funny how you all said they should be the easiest! So I've sprayed with penetrating fluid and will revisit.

Though I had a brainwave while the doors are still in a good position, I measured and drilled for a wing mirror on the O/S. Prefer the cleaner look instead of them on the bonnet, best to do it now than when they're new and painted. So quite pleased as that turned out great. That hole in the middle of the door was rather handy actually!

Slowly but surely, progress is being made.

Pog
phatbob
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp.

Post by phatbob » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am

Pog wrote:Hi all,

Some great advice mentioned. Got myself and impact driver - best £15 I've ever spent! What a great little tool. After cleaning the inside of wheel arch it loosened the lower hinge bolts easily enough, but the top hinge bolts still won't budge! Funny how you all said they should be the easiest! So I've sprayed with penetrating fluid and will revisit.

Though I had a brainwave while the doors are still in a good position, I measured and drilled for a wing mirror on the O/S. Prefer the cleaner look instead of them on the bonnet, best to do it now than when they're new and painted. So quite pleased as that turned out great. That hole in the middle of the door was rather handy actually!

Slowly but surely, progress is being made.

Pog
Before drilling any holes though, make sure that you can still open and close the quarterlights when fitting door mirrors to an imp.
Ask me how I know. :oops:
Astronomy is looking up!
Pog

Re: EHK 744G - 1969 Super

Post by Pog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi all,

Been a while since I last posted. Holidays and other plans means I haven't spent as much time on Betty as I'd like. The majority of my 'car' time has been spent doing up the garage. I took all your advice and have painted the inside white, it's definitely made it feel brighter and easier to work in. Also installed a peg board to start some tool organisation, so slowly but surely it's taking shape.

My latest battle with the car was removing the doors. Even the impact driver failed to budge a few of the screws. My frustration lead me to wanting powerrrrr, so I invested in a power impact driver. That shifted a couple more with little effort and the O/S door came off (they're heavier than I was expecting). Moving over to the N/S and a combination of excitement and impatience (plus total lack of experience!) saw me completely rounding off the last screw head. Nightmare. I ordered an easy out set but I couldn't get that to work... so as a last resort I tried drilling it out. Disaster struck, and the drill bit snapped in the screw! Complete and utter fail. In the end, I took a grinder to the captive nut in an attempt to remove the only thing holding the screw in place. And it worked! I might have ruined the plate, but new plates wouldn't go amiss anyway. Ah well, all adds to my experience eh?

ImageIMG_20190720_170017 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Next job I tackled was removing the insulation from the roof and engine lid. The engine lid material disintegrated so I can't reuse that, but the stuff from the roof came off completely intact. Is it worth me keeping this to reuse with a new headlining? I've been planning to go down the dynamat route. But if the original stuff works then might as well recycle where I can:

ImageIMG_20190720_165858 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190720_165841 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

My parting plea for advice is this: removing the insulation from the engine lid revealed the nuts holding the chrome strip clips in place. How are these actually held together? I sprayed them with plus gas as they look really corroded, but they just spin and nothing is actually unscrewing. What am I missing?

ImageIMG_20190720_173257 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Look forward to hearing your pearls of wisdom!

Pog
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 am

Chrome strip nuts just screw onto the plastic on the clip so levering up very slightly whilst undoing will get them off
Formally known as " Noddy "
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:07 am

They will probably snap off being 50 year old plastic anyway, so replace them with alloy/stainless screws and nuts in which the screw head can be slid into the back of the trim strip.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 am

Sometimes a washer will help here too, under the screw head. In fact the same as I did with my front strips on Stan.

Andy G
Attachments
DSC_1015.JPG
Pog

Post by Pog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks guys, helpful as usual.

Felt like I've been quite productive recently. Garage is finally looking like a proper workspace. Now have a white board with a to do list (plus some 'impspiration' to keep me going!), so hopefully I'll start ticking things off. Which brings me to a crossroad of a decision that I'd like your advice on.

ImageIMG_20190812_190059-1 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

The car was supplied with a rotational spit made by the previous owner. It was always going to be my idea to get the car back onto the spit so I can take the underside back to bare metal to make sure it's all sound. I purchased something to help me lift the car high enough to get it on the spit, a mobile scissor lift (it's awesome, no hydraulics it just works with an electric drill to turn the gear). And now the car is in the air, I've been able to have a proper good look under the car for the first time - and it looks super tidy!

ImageIMG_20190812_190219-1 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190812_190253-1 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

If this was your project, would you leave this alone and save yourself the arduous task of removing underseal and simply move on to bigger priority jobs? Or would you want to make sure it's not hiding anything? I'm not doing this project as a concourse restoration, I simply want to recondition it so I can drive it! I'd love to have it on the road by National next year, so any large job I can bypass will help with with such a deadline. I definitely don't want to cut corners, but if something is already good, why bother creating more work for yourself, what do you think?

Pog
jetmech

Post by jetmech » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm

I would have a good look for damaged or swollen under seal and remove any that you find, then reprotect and treat the whole underside to some fresh under body wax, ie waxoyl or equivalent. I am sure others will disagree, but that’s what I plan to do on my project.

Simon Imp004
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:20 am

Repeating what I've said earlier - you are a so lucky with the solid condition of your imp. That underside looks great and even the front wishbones look in to be in excellent condition.

If you want to have the cars underside prepped to a suitable level where you can just use it then is be tempted to just clean up any bits of rust, cover the bare steel in a decent epoxy 2 pac paint, wax all the seams and box sections then just enjoy the car. Once a year, say in autumn, just give it an extra coat of pentrating wax etc so it's best protected from the salt. Come spring time give it a very good clean underneath.

My favourite cavity wax is the s50 made by bilt hamber. It goes on well, flows nicely and smells fine (important when filling inside cavities from within the car. It's usually been top of the product tests too over the years.
Pog

Post by Pog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of updates, been hard to find the time to sit down and document anything, although I've been far from dormant, got lots to talk about!

The car is now a complete bare shell, successfully removed the front and rear suspension assemblies (the rear was a bit more challenging trying to remove the rear hub nuts. Once again, the right tools make the job so much easier!). This will all be going away for blasting and powder coating while it's off the car. Polybushes have already been sourced and will be fitted to the renewed suspension arms.

ImageIMG_20191019_161701 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191019_161654 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

And now the car has reached a real turning point...

ImageIMG_20191020_172744 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Quite literally! This rotisserie was fabricated by the previous owner. Took some fettling to make it work, but work it does! I've decided to remove the underseal completely and do the job properly, this spit will make the job that bit easier. While I'm at it, it makes sense to renew all the fuel/brake/clutch lines. I've gone to all this trouble so far, it only makes sense to while I'm here. And this will give me the peace of mind that it's all new when it's back on the road and I won't have the niggle in the back of my mind that it will need doing after a few years of driving.

So that's where I am so far. Starting to feel like I'm making good progress, so watch this space!

Pog
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Your workshop is really looking good. Have you got a decent heater in there so to make it more inviting for winter evenings of old car tinkering :-)

So jealous at the condition of your imps floor. Very lucky indeed as its saved you a lot of work!
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Looking good and great progress. A spit is brilliant for allowing you to get at all the nooks and crannies without all the crawling about underneath a car on axle stands.

Keep at it a d keep us posted. :wink:

Cheers
Col
Pog

Post by Pog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:07 pm

There's a couple of small welding jobs that will need taking care of once the underseal is removed. Not done any before so will need to do plenty of practicing to get the settings/technique down (part of the fun of this project is teaching myself new skills). What thickness of steel should I be getting and where do you pick up sheet metal?

Pog
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:53 pm

0.9mm.to 1mm thick and sheet metal suppliers usually have sheet metal, or for small bits B&Q sell 250 x 500 x 1mm sheets for around 8 quid