Sunbeam Imp.....new experience

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

rob miller
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: sunbeam sport

Sunbeam Imp.....new experience

Post by rob miller » Sun May 01, 2016 5:52 pm

I`ve had my little Sunbeam now since July last year (2015) and whilst it was running when I first acquired it; I`ve had to have some work done to bring the car up to full Sunbeam Imp specification and the job is continuing when time and money allow.....Bob Allen (Imp club) and Vince at Merlin Motors have been extremely useful contacts. Bob in getting the writer a good Sport head and the services of Merlin motors in its reconditioning and fitment to the 875cc block. I`ve had to purchase some other items but at least the car is now to Sport specification.....It runs but I`m having a few teething problems such as getting a good tachometer to work (second hand is always risky and I`ve had to scrap two) A brand new one is on its way via Ebay.

The choke cable and throttle cable were an awkward bl***y job to fit, connect and get working. I`m still having difficulty in getting the car to tick over without coking up and stalling.
And that pressed steel under engine panel is a pain in the ass! does it really come out without removing the exhaust!!?.............you need the hands and fingers of a gynaecologist to get to the carbs.

Anyway I`m going to have a real good go at getting the old girl running properly this bank holiday Monday......that's if I can get at it without too much dismantling ....doh!
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Re: Sunbeam Imp.....new experience

Post by kilty » Sun May 01, 2016 6:53 pm

No, that undertray won't come off with the exhaust fitted, unless you hack it off! Not recommended.

What year is it? Mine is a 67 on an E plate.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
rob miller

Post by rob miller » Sun May 01, 2016 7:24 pm

kilty wrote:No, that undertray won't come off with the exhaust fitted, unless you hack it off! Not recommended.

What year is it? Mine is a 67 on an E plate.

Well what a stupid idea!!...........Three or four people warned me to stay clear of imps. I`m beginning to understand why.......Vince at Merlin motors had a right job on I removing some of the head bolts.

Its a 1970 single headlight model finished in a lovely Kingfisher blue metallic professional bare metal paint job. its really pretty with minilites and could win prizes.......but I`m getting annoyed with it.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Sun May 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Oh well if its getting you down that much you could always get a mini instead :o
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun May 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Stick with it Rob, once running properly a Sport spec Imp is a joy. Mine has been in the naughty corner for a few months now. :evil:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
rob miller

Post by rob miller » Mon May 02, 2016 3:29 pm

The Nun wrote:Oh well if its getting you down that much you could always get a mini instead :o
No thanks mate, but thanks anyway!

Managed to get my imp running today. I thought it might have been a fuel starvation problem so I disconnected the pipe to the pump and bled some fuel through. The pump seemed a little bunged up with crud and I managed to ensure that the choke was returning. With that it fired up ok and ran smoooothly albeit a little fast. But I got that back to 900rpm. Seems to have a couple of valves that need re-shimming...another job for Merlin motors.