Davrian MEY 882J

Nugget
Club Member: No
Car Model: Davrian Mk5

Davrian MEY 882J

Post by Nugget »

I've had my Davrian now for about 2 years and honestly can't remember if I've started a readers thread so in case anyone is interested I thought I would post a few photos and briefly tell it's story.

The car is a Mk5 with a Mk6 front end that I bought off of a fellow Imper from Frome (Bruce Gardener), it had been off the road for about 7 years when I bought it and Bruce supplied it with a tweeked and running sport engine, my plan for the project was to get it running and have some fun with it so I removed anything metal from the shell had it shot blasted, strengthened the suspension arms and cross member and repainted it all with black smoothrite, I also renewed the complete braking system, fitted a Fiat Cinq rad, renewed all the coolant hoses and pipes, renewed the headlamps and sorted the rather reluctant electrics, oh and I fitted some new windows and I removed the horrible glass sunroof and glassed over the hole, 3 days after I had finished the essential stuff I took it for its MOT which it passed and a week later I took it to Castle Combe for a track day where it performed flawlessly on its new Tim Duffee supplied AVO coil overs

A couple of photos of the car as received and how it looked when first back on the road:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nugget

Re: Davrian MEY 882J

Post by Nugget »

Moving on from the last post (with photos in the wrong order why does it do that?) I did a couple more track days in May this year when on the last one I had a annoying rattle on the back end, undeterred I finished the day got the car home and jacked it up and found that a brake back plate bolt had unscrewed itself so I sorted that walked around the front of the car only to find a pool of petrol under the car, a quick investigation confirmed that the L/H fuel tank was leaking so I had no option but to remove the tank and as a precaution also the R/H tank, it's a crap job and took an evening per side but once out and after a good wait for the new tanks I fitted a pair of foam filled aluminium tanks, its a tricky job as they are set in expanding foam and have to line up with the apertures in the front panel, some more photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

While it was off the road awaiting delivery of the new fuel tanks I addressed another issue which was the very low front end and excessive negative camber which although good for the track was a bit tricky on the road firstly because of clearance issues and secondly its tendency to tramline, I did this by working out the triangulation of the front suspension and calculating how much I had to lower the upper shock absorber mounts to give the desired slightly lower (rather than a lot lower) at the front stance, so with the new 15mm lower mounting holes drilled and tghe suspension bolted back on that was that job done, while I working on the front end I also fitted one of Colin Valentines excellent 13" disc brake kits which I'm extremely happy with.

A few more photos of the discs and of the car sitting a bit more sensibly:
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Thankfully the work done on the front suspension height also corrected the negative camber so with new fuel tanks, sorted suspension and disc brakes I did a couple more track days and the Davrian was awesome, a tad underpowered but the handling and braking was fantastic, it is an incredible package and the need to not slow down (much) meant that I was pulling 6700rpm on the start finish straight at Castle Combe and keeping up with my mate driving his tuned 200bhp, disc braked Healey 3000, not bad for a tired sport engine.

Fast forward to now and I've taken it off the road for the winter to sort the bodywork, there are a lot of stress cracks, the paint is dull and stained and the front bonnet vent is ugly. I've already made a start and have repaired prepped and painted the bonnet and engine cover, both panels took about 100 hours to prep so this is going to be a big job especially the front end, I've previously restored a G15 so I know my way around GRP and was taught by a master who manufactures GRP models for F1 teams, however I also know that no matter what you do GRP will eventually stress crack again so this time I'm going for a more robust finish using a product called Plastidip which will flex with the panels, once applied it can be left in either a satin finish or a gloss coat can be applied, its a bit of an experiment and the product does have some limitations but I'm fairly happy with it in its naked satin effect, more photos:
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

So that brings me to yesterday.

In the quest for reliable, cheap, lightweight, power I have decided to convert the Davrian to K100 power courtesy of Clark Dawsons kit and knowledge so I whipped out the old Imp engine and box and jacked the BMW engine into place, the result is that it will fit with a bit of fettling of the rear bulkhead so I'm going for it.

So the development continues, the list of jobs for the winter are to sort the remaining bodywork to include fitting some more appropriately sized and shaped front indicators, carry out the engine conversion, paint out the inside of the car (hand paint in white) and make some new door cards out of 1.5mm aluminium as unfortunately I made my first ones out of 3mm which is far too heavy.

My next track day is 10th March which looking at the list of jobs doesn't seem very far off, something may have to give!!!

A photo of the K100 engine jacked into place (sort of):
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

One final photo for now, my gone but not forgotten G15 that I painstakingly restored, the Davrian won't look this good, I learnt my lesson with the Ginetta, I was afraid to leave it anywhere, was very precious about it and certainly would not be having the fun in it that I do with my ratty old Davrian, anyway the Davrian is a better car :wink:
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes owning the G15 must have been just like marrying a pretty wife ..you are on constant alert!

Both the Clan and my wife are on the ugly side of pretty - but thankfully both are gifted in areas where it really matters.

Your Dav has the best of both worlds ..! :D
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Yes owning the G15 must have been just like marrying a pretty wife ..you are on constant alert!

Both the Clan and my wife are on the ugly side of pretty - but thankfully both are gifted in areas where it really matters.

Your Dav has the best of both worlds ..! :D
Clan004
Heh that made me chuckle, so many things I could say to that but it's best I step away from the keyboard
The Nun
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Ive always liked the G15, its an IMP based kit built car that doesnt look so obviously like a kit built car.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

The Nun wrote:Ive always liked the G15, its an IMP based kit built car that doesnt look so obviously like a kit built car.
The G15 is definitely the prettiest and most mass produced looking of the 3, I particularly like the back of it, it's very reminiscent of the S1 elan, the Clan and Davrian are altogether more purposeful I personally think the Davrian looks rather odd from some angles especially the rear 3/4 view but flipping brilliant from others front on and rear especially, the Clan for me is a Marmite car and really responds to colour and body modifications, some of the wide arch Clans look awesome.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

my wife are on the ugly side of pretty
:o

How on earth have you got away with putting that in print ? :lol: I assume said wife doesn't read the Forum, nor does she associate with other Impers who might delight in dropping you in it :mrgreen: The Sussex AC members wouldn't hold back, just to see the sparks fly :wink:

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

The Nun wrote:Ive always liked the G15, its an IMP based kit built car that doesnt look so obviously like a kit built car.
Until you take a closer look. Before anyone says I'm biased as I have two race prepared Clans and a third being fitted with a BMW K1100 engine I also rebuilt and raced a 998 powered G15. I'd always wanted one even before I got my first Clan but at that time they were outside my price range. When the one I rebuilt came up at a silly price I had to fulfil my ambition. Pretty it was but very agricultural under the skin. I enjoyed it whilst I had it but when I had to decide between it and the Clan unfortunately it had to go. Fortunately it fetched a good price and profit as it was sent on it's was to Japan.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

She gave up going anywhere with me Clan-wise years ago ..

btw. The 'ugly side of pretty' could mean she is quite pretty :) ...

At least I didn't say the 'pretty side of ugly' ...then I'd really be in trouble! :lol:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
ylee coyote
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by ylee coyote »

I find the clan the most practical of the 3 with it having the most internal room ,the g 15 is pretty ,but my it is tight ...
There is so many different Davrains and some are really ugly to my view ,altho their is one mk which seems to get it all right ,but again it is tight and the visibility out is compromised
The clan is the best all round IMHO
With a BMW conversion it can be fast ,reliable and practical
M-Power Clan Crusader
Saab Turbo X
Saab Turbo T16s
Hal
Car Model: Davrian Mk 4, Davrian Mk 7, Grinnall Scorpion 3

Post by Hal »

Nugget, could you do me a little favour and slap a measuring stick on the right leg of your 'A' frame? I think on your Mk 5 it's a bit shorter than the Mk 7, but that's just looking at your photos and I'd like to have exact measurements.

Davrians all seem to vary, it's hard to find two identical, I just wonder how much if any I'd need to chop from the bulkhead on mine to fit the K1200 BMW engine.

As far as the looks go, I think the G15 is pretty, more production car in appearance than either of the others, the Clan to me looks a bit too 'plastic' but seems to have probably the best and most spacious interior, while Davrians up to the Mk 7 were very quirky and random in appearance, what with most being kit built to a varying standard. The Spitfire windscreen was a bit shallow, the fronts were often weirdly proportioned, doors badly finished with dreadfully ugly 'handles', windows very un thought out looking, appalling gaps and finish, rubbish interiors etc etc. BUT.......they seem to be the best by a decent margin in competition, and the most solid.

The Mk 7 had the lovely, deeper Alfa Romeo windscreen, was 10cm longer and 10cm wider, had more front overhang, and was all in all a more slinky and svelte looking machine, while being significantly lighter too.

What does your car weigh, Nugget?

Just checked and the right arm length on mine is 44cm.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Hal wrote:Nugget, could you do me a little favour and slap a measuring stick on the right leg of your 'A' frame? I think on your Mk 5 it's a bit shorter than the Mk 7, but that's just looking at your photos and I'd like to have exact measurements.

Davrians all seem to vary, it's hard to find two identical, I just wonder how much if any I'd need to chop from the bulkhead on mine to fit the K1200 BMW engine.

As far as the looks go, I think the G15 is pretty, more production car in appearance than either of the others, the Clan to me looks a bit too 'plastic' but seems to have probably the best and most spacious interior, while Davrians up to the Mk 7 were very quirky and random in appearance, what with most being kit built to a varying standard. The Spitfire windscreen was a bit shallow, the fronts were often weirdly proportioned, doors badly finished with dreadfully ugly 'handles', windows very un thought out looking, appalling gaps and finish, rubbish interiors etc etc. BUT.......they seem to be the best by a decent margin in competition, and the most solid.

The Mk 7 had the lovely, deeper Alfa Romeo windscreen, was 10cm longer and 10cm wider, had more front overhang, and was all in all a more slinky and svelte looking machine, while being significantly lighter too.

What does your car weigh, Nugget?

Just checked and the right arm length on mine is 44cm.
Hi Hal,
Please see attached photo as requested, regarding the weight of my Mk5 I really don't know, its stripped out inside but I don't know if its a particularly light shell, I'm going to take it to the weighbridge when its back on the road out of curiosity:
Hal

Post by Hal »

Thanks for that, as I guessed, I seem to have 45mm extra length, which may come in handy.
long_gone_John
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John »

:lol: "quote of the year" folks.....

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
Hal

Post by Hal »

Oo-err Missus! :roll:

I am amazed by how different your Mk 5 is to Dolores, they were both registered in the same year.

Yours is way tidier under the front cover,, and of course, has the removable rear end (Oooo-ERRRR Missus!!! :lol: )

All this badinage reminds me of something I saw written in a gents in St Nick's Market in Bristol a few years ago.

Someone had written "I'm here 5pm Fridays. I am 8.5 inches"

To which some wag had replied, "Yeah, but how big is yer tadger?"
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

long_gone_John wrote::lol: "quote of the year" folks.....

LGJ
Heh, and the winner of this years Finbar...... does this forum keep a quote book?