VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Post by bks974c » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:On the side windows ...Eric did a pretty good mod to his Turbo Clan.

He fiberglassed a recessed continuous lip around the inside of the apertures then screwed down poly carb replacement glass into the recess. The Poly carb is then aero-flush with the body. He used something like M3 counter-sunk allen screws (about one per 40 -50 mm IIRC) all around the aperture. The poly carb was seated within the recess using a bead of sealant on the recessed lip. The outside edges of the poly carb can be painted (if necess) to tidy-up the line of sealant visible through the poly carb.

He did the same to the rear glass and said the whole lot (bolted-in rear poly glass and poly side glass) actually added to the rigidity of the shell!

And it does look good too.

On my list of projects ... :) Clan004
Sounds like a good solution but easier for me to just apply some silicone, they were put in dry as I knew they were coming out again to redo the naca ducts.
Still to test them for leaks.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Been using VAK and putting some miles on it, it does get along the road very nicely. :D

Been looking at the mapping and recording some data, I found it interesting how little time spent on more than 50% - all off 1 min in a 30 min journey taking in motorways
and A roads.

Also figured out how to get the adaptive mapping operating, in adaptive mode it makes suggestions of changes to the fuel map by noting how much adjustment is needed to hit the target Lambda figure. Just need to get some good data to make the changes by putting more miles on it, a big hardship :lol:

The clan is set up for 3 alternative maps so I can play around and not worry about messing up - just switch back to the original. :)

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Weather forecast for this Sunday 20th Jan is holding up, cold but dry so have just booked the trackday :D

Sorted the wiring for the headsets as last time I went to use them not working correctly traced to a broken wire.

Changed the oil and filter and replaced the plugs with a set of Iridium ones just for the trackday and will put the standard ones back in after the event, I do have some Platinum ones but they are NON resistor which are not recommended because of electrical interference affecting the ECU.

Charged the GOPRO and downloaded Racechrono a lap timer and sorted out tyres,tools and spare fuel.

Good to go.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am

Just looked at Knockhill's webcam and they have SNOW, Track is clear but scattering on the infield. :shock:

https://www.knockhill.com/webcam/

Might prove interesting, maybe I should get the winter tyres on :lol: :lol:

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 am

bks974c wrote:Just looked at Knockhill's webcam and they have SNOW, Track is clear but scattering on the infield. :shock:

https://www.knockhill.com/webcam/

Might prove interesting, maybe I should get the winter tyres on :lol: :lol:

Scott
You will be in your element, Mister Sideways! :)
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Had arranged for Kerr, my daughter Amy's partner to bring up my spare wheels and trolley jack and drove the Clan to Knockhill, very fortuitous timing as just after turning off the motorway ended up behind Kerr :D

On arrival not looking very promising as foggy and very cold, got some extra layers on and set about changing the tyres and removing the odds and sods from the Clan
Car ready and went and signed on, by the start time of 11.00am it was clearing so you could at least see the track from the pits.

A lot of serious cars out today but wasn't the smallest as several Citroen C1's out promoting the new one make championship. As it was cold and damp took the first session nice and easy, completed 20 miles and then returned to the pits checking tyre pressure/ looking for any leaks/ retorqued wheels and topped up with fuel.

All looking good so went out again for another 30 miles, track improving so upped the pace a little then came in a rechecked. Tyre still have no heat in them, still understeering a bit. Calculated the fuel consumption to be 20 mpg.

Back out for another 40 miles and track much better now and starting to push on, at 1.00pm the track session was being stopped for the Fomula Fords and Legends to do some demonstration laps as part of the open day, so joined Kerr and his pal and spent a bit of time spectating.

Back out again and track still getting better but stopped after a few laps recovering someone, recorded a best time at 1.06.79 got another 30 miles under the belt but with a couple of stoppages to spoil the fun.

Topped up fuel for the final session and sun now coming through so able to push harder, matched my previous best to the hundredth but not able to improve.

Clan never missed a beat all day and final tally was 144 track miles for the day, no oil used, front end needs a little work to improve turn in/grip, all in a grand day out.

Video

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm

bks974c wrote:

Video

Scott
Looked slippy. As ever it's the long straights where the bigger cars get you - but corners are less of a problem.

I coundn't work out the rear view mirror's position - is it on top of the dash? :?
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
bks974c wrote: I coundn't work out the rear view mirror's position - is it on top of the dash? :?
Clan004
No, its screen mounted but at the bottom of the windscreen.

It's there because you can't see out with it at the top of the screen, I've tried various positions and it's the only place that works although not ideal.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Next Video

Watch this one from 17.30 to end, doesn't life have a way of balancing itself :lol: he definitely lifts more 8)

Scott
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Must get to Knockhill this year if I can. Perhaps do a round of the Scottish Sports and Saloons Series and combine it with a holiday.

What gearbox are you using?

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Pete

Helical CR with Quaife diff, why ?

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm

bks974c wrote:Next Video

Watch this one from 17.30 to end, doesn't life have a way of balancing itself :lol: he definitely lifts more 8)

Scott
Yes that Cooper Driver didn't like folk getting in his way did he. Wonder what broke in the end?

Tend to think that all that tyre noise he had on EVERY corner points to overloaded tyres and the likely cause of the 'off'.

Anyway, reinforces my dislike for FWD and BMW Minis. :D
benwick3

Post by benwick3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm

bks974c wrote:Pete

Helical CR with Quaife diff, why ?

Scott
Scott,

I guessed you had a Quaife diff but wasn't sure of the ratios. With the helical CR is that using the old rally ratios of a raised first and lowered third? I couldn't be sure what gear you were in approaching the hairpin. It looked to me, and I'm probably wrong, that sometimes you were able to hold third until the hairpin indicating that third is not as low as the usual straight cut gear.

Pete
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Pete

Yes raised first lowered third and forth - top is about 13 mph per 1000 rpm third between 10-11 mph ?

It was sometimes jumping out of third under braking when changing down at the hairpin - need to look at the linkage as that where I think the problem lies -
sometimes I just left it in third on the rev limiter of 8200 about 90 mph as it doesn't make a huge difference to speed or times and save that :shock: every time it happens.

Scott

Newest video

Just reviewed this one and using forth, also reducing speed through the hairpin so not missing the apex as much
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Scott

If it's jumping out of third on braking, then transaxle moves forwards on rubber mounts and if the linkage is solid, will push the selector rod into the transaxle.

Either needs more solid tranny mounts or more flex along the length of linkage to stop the rod from moving back into the tranny?

Why not have a try at re-fitting Mike's stiffer tranny mounts. I've done that on JO JASON with additional rubber gaskets under the mounts which decreases noise through the rear cross member to tolerable levels. Just need to reassemble Mike's mounts in the correct order to make sure nothing on the mount can touch the cross member directly.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Peter

Under normal conditions it's perfect only appeared at the trackday, strictly speaking it's not simply under braking - it takes a combination of changing down and braking to jump out. It has Mike's comp mounts already and my own solid linkage, I'm hoping a little tweak of the gear lever position will sort it but will need another track day to check when it's done. I'm thinking it needs the opposite and moved further into the box. Time will tell.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Last video of the day

Scott
Last edited by bks974c on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benwick3

Post by benwick3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Scott,

I hope you can sort the problem with third gear with a simple gear lever move. Having experienced the same problem many times as you describe, unfortunately it usually turned out to be a gearbox rebuild being required. The only time I've driven at Knockhill, the Imp track evening, I had to hold third gear in!

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Its just been rebuilt so I hope so too.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

While at the trackday I continued recording the AFR corrections, what happens is, it looks at the map and injects the required amount of fuel and then if held at the same position for a min amount of time the ECU trims the fuel until the AFR match the target, it records how much it needed to trim. I then have the chance to review at update if I want.

Here is some of the results from Sunday, as you can see I have data for WOT that normally would be hard to get on the road. It makes sense due to the low temp that it wanted to add fuel as more oxygen about at 2 degrees than the 30 when it was mapped. I can see in the end having winter and summer map but that's not a problem.
It means that the car should be more responsive as the map should be more accurate at first look up.
IMG_20190120_221058.jpg
IMG_20190120_221103.jpg
Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Does VAC have a plenum air box with a temp sensor linked to the ECU?

Although Jo JASON is on DHLAs I have a temp sensor in the plenum air box and have used the same set up with both the 1040 GB72 and 875 Sport noting significant differences between the two cams.
The plenum air temps are around 25-35C at WOT with the GB72 and 18 to 25C using the SPort cam. The effect of summer /winter ambient temps makes a bigger difference during warming up but once it's thrashed and fully warm the heat from the combustion chambers /combined manifold is more significant than the ambient temp....the GB72 with the large valve overlap showing higher air temps than the Sport cam. When in traffic @ idle the plenum air temp sores up to 60C with the GB72!

Because air temps using a plenum are less influence by ambient temps (open filters will be more influenced by ambient) i would have thought that a full EFI ECU would use plenum air temps to trim the map on the fly?

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Yes, it has an airbox linked to a remote filter to a rear scoop on the side window. The other side window has a scoop that directs air over the throttle bodies and exhaust.

Likewise I've seen the temps rise when idling, as I wasn't monitoring anything during the day I can't be sure it was ambient temp that was the main reason but will hook up the laptop and do so.

VAK used the Lambda sensor and the target AFR's to adjust the fuelling, this is more accurate as it is a measure of what actually HAPPENED in the engine rather than an educated guess.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Does VAC have a plenum air box with a temp sensor linked to the ECU?

Although Jo JASON is on DHLAs I have a temp sensor in the plenum air box and have used the same set up with both the 1040 GB72 and 875 Sport noting significant differences between the two cams.
The plenum air temps are around 25-35C at WOT with the GB72 and 18 to 25C using the SPort cam. The effect of summer /winter ambient temps makes a bigger difference during warming up but once it's thrashed and fully warm the heat from the combustion chambers /combined manifold is more significant than the ambient temp....the GB72 with the large valve overlap showing higher air temps than the Sport cam. When in traffic @ idle the plenum air temp sores up to 60C with the GB72!

Because air temps using a plenum are less influence by ambient temps (open filters will be more influenced by ambient) i would have thought that a full EFI ECU would use plenum air temps to trim the map on the fly?

Clan004
Peter

Did you run the mapped ignition with the 875 previously or just since you refitted it ?

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:48 am

bks974c wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Does VAC have a plenum air box with a temp sensor linked to the ECU?

Clan004
Peter

Did you run the mapped ignition with the 875 previously or just since you refitted it ?

Scott
This is the first time the 875 has run Canems mapped ignition on this refit.

Previously I ran the 875 with a Sport dizzy, 1970's Moblec (Hall) ignition, plus all the other gizmos (AFR meter EWP, ambient air and air box temps, DHLAs and DIY GRP plenum airbox) after I had to pull the 1040 for a cracked piston way back. ie everything went onto the 875 that was previously on the 1040 prior to buying the Canems Mapped ignition.

Before I bought the Canems, the 1040 first ran a Ben Boult (Aldon 43D) comp dizzy - but that was not good on part-throttle - so I developed a 25D dizzy that I'd curved myself using bespoke springs from the Dizzy Doctor online...mainly to get use of vacuum advance for part throttle.

I used the plenum air temps combined with AFR readings to help me make decisions about refining DHLA jetting ..and plenum air temps also led me insulate the DHLAs from the combined manifold using 1cm double O ring spacer blocks from EuroCarb - to keep carb temps down. I could see the AFR change with plenum air temps changes - that helped me with the direction of travel on jetting on both 1040 GB72 and 875 Sport prior to Canems..development on both set-ups was done aided by AFR Data logs (TechEdge AFR ECU + Dash mounted meter) collected during the long commutes to work.

The Canem data logging is a bit crap on its own ..just returns ign advance, rpm and TPS... no other sensor input/output and no air temp correction -which is annoying - I could use more ign advance for cold starts. So I had to overlay /splice data from Canem and TechEdge AFR logs on further developmental work- nightmare! The latest Camens mapped ignition has more features....but mine isn't firmware upgradeable.

Anyhooo, the Canems mapped ignition is currently emulating a Sport curve more or less... with extra advance on part throttle to emulate a vac capsule. Everything else is the same a the previous 875 installation following the 1040 cracked piston affair.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

Peter

Looks like you have it well covered.

I was lucky as my Emerald ECU was one of the later serial numbers which were able to have the software upgraded, which added the AFR functions via a wideband sensor. multiple maps, adaptive mapping etc. :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Friend spotted pics on Facebook, seems it generated a bit of interest :D

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FlatOutPhoto/posts/

Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 am

Some cracking photos there Scott and in some of them it looks like you had all four wheels on the ground too. :lol: :wink:

Some fast and expensive cars out with you there .

Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am

colimp66 wrote:Some cracking photos there Scott and in some of them it looks like you had all four wheels on the ground too. :lol: :wink:

Some fast and expensive cars out with you there .

Cheers
Col.
Yes, tyres are so expensive these days you have to do everything you can to make them last :lol:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Clan about 5.15 really shows the difference in straight line speed.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm

bks974c wrote:

Clan about 5.15 really shows the difference in straight line speed.

Scott
For sure, but he seems 'uncommitted' in the corners - just relying on straight-line speed. His P2W ratio must be twice the Clan's?

Clan looks good btw.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Next event is this Sunday''s PCT at Forrestburn so time to get it ready.

!. Changed the plugs back to the regular ones from the ones I use for trackdays
2. Checked oil and water - all good,not a drop used on the last trackday.
3. Alternator loose, readjusted and tightened bolt.
4. Raised the rear ride height by replacing the spacer under the spring.
5. Cleaned up the brakes.
6. Put front tyres on the rear but opposite rotation to hopefully provide more traction.
7. Ordered new tyres for the front.
8. Re-positioned gear lever as it was jumping out of third during the trackday, don't know if it has made any difference yet but falls nicer to hand.
9. Loaded tools and fitted the water filled tyres where I carry the spare (behind the seats).
10. Lights check, one indicator poor connection - sorted.

Just wheels to fit and the obligatory wash to do and it's ready. I've always had the need to have the car washed before an event even when running late, really use to frustrate Stuart my navigator when we should have been on our way, :shock:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Nice day when I got up and took the dog for her walk but by the time I was ready to leave the fog had come down, I thought how typical but a couple of miles from the house it's lifted and we had exceptional weather for the first PCT of the year.

Hills were in excellent condition and it was clear that it was going to be a low scoring day and so it was, only failing to clear Hill 1 on the first time and got a 1 then cleaned the rest but was beaten into second place by one of the midgets who cleaned them all.

Only problem I had was the exhaust heatshield caught on something and got a bit bent, easily enough sorted but will have a look and see if I can do anything about it as its the second time that's happened.
IMG_20190224_140717.jpg
Also brought home last years trophies, apparently I had come second in the Club in the Club Championship as well as class wins on the PCT's and an Autotest.
IMG_20190224_150434.jpg
and then told not leave them on the mantlepiece. :o

Video of the day here, not quite the same pace as a trackday but fun never the less.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:37 pm

VAK looking GR88 on the front cover and centre spread in March 2019 Impressions! 8)

I thought at first they had bought the Clan Owners Club mag back from the dead. :lol:

And a neat BMW installation on the rear cover too!

Keep up the good work Scott, Dom (and Grahame). :D

Haven't had time to read yet but looking forward to it.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm

The Clan is in 5 pics and myself in one, that does seem a bit overkill for one issue.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Took the Clan to the shed on Monday to swap the wheels and tyres over in preparation for IMP Ecosse also checked the fluids - all OK.

When I got home I saw the exhaust heat shield and remembered I WAS going to fix that when I was at the shed, old age :roll: :lol:
so removed it and took it with me and straightened it.

Tonight thought I'd better get it back on as Imp Ecosse is tomorrow, 5 min job - no, nearly an hour and a half, the mounts were bent as well and they took a lot of force to straighten but done now.

Give it a quick hoover and wash in the morning before taking the girls for breakfast and head for Dumfries, it's only 80 miles.

Weather forecast is looking good, looking forward to a great weekend.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Imp Ecosse weekend was great fun, good weather, good food and great company.

Clan performed faultlessly, again using no oil or water and sipped premium fuel to the tune of just shy of 40 mpg. :D

Tomorrow is the preseason test days at Kames circuit, I been there quite a few times but never driven it so looking forward to it.
Ian Sinclair has also entered his Imp spaceframe, the first time he will have driven the car in anger, infact first time ever apart from loading it onto the trailer.

I took VAK to the shed with the intent of putting the Toyo Proxys on the rear but when I looked at them they are fairly close to the wear limits despite not having done much, the down side of road legal slicks is, they don't start with much depth and then wear quickly too, so I put the boot rack on and strapped the tyres to it, much better than 3 points and a fine per tyre if stopped on the way home.

Quick wash and fluid check before meeting up with my daughters and my mum for a meal.

Set the alarm on my phone now worrying if it will automatically update itself, 6 months ago I remember the same issue when the clocks went back and had another event. It was fine then so no worries :roll:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Some video from today's runs at East Ayrshire Car Club test day at Kames Circuit

Ian Sinclair's run

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Interesting to watch. I can't remember but do you have an LSD/Quaife diff fitted? If so it looks to me that you are not taking full advantage off it, particularly on the right where you were changing down, I'm guessing into 1st mid corner, and suffering understeer. Keeping in the higher gear and and being more brutal with the power will help get you round and away. If no LSD/Quaife then ignore me.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am

Pete

Not sure where your taking about, if you could reference it to time and video that would be great.

Yes it does have a quaife, yes it did suffer from understeer but only really at the hairpin. Times I'm seeing would have placed it mid table at a proper sprint very respectfully.

It was driven to and from the event and currently on touring set up which means it sits 1.75 inches higher to deal with all the pot holes as just back from Imp Ecosse where it did some 300 plus miles and next weekend it got another run of 170 and couldn't be bothered with the fuss of changing it.

Front tyres were std road pattern and compound, the rears Toyo Proxy's GG compound.

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Scott,

I'll have a look to get where it was happening but may take a couple of days as I've got a Newsletter to do for the local motor club.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.