VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Post by bks974c »

Great day after initially looking miserable, driving up to shed to pick up the Clan it was misting and threatening but brightened up as I got the car ready.

I was to meet the rest of the group just up the road and was just heading there expecting to wait 10/15 minutes, as I reached the the road end they drove past so slotted in behind them for a 47 mile run down to Moffat, as we headed south the skies cleared and the sun came out. We parked in the Woollen Mill Car Park where we met Scott and Hugh in their Clans. Chewed some fat with each other and a few members of the public that came over to look at the Car, after about 45 mins we had a few spots of rain which suggested we should be moving on, they never came to anything as we headed the 16 miles up to St. Mary's Loch.

The Car Parks were full but managed to squeeze onto the road side and had a picnic by the Loch while some used the cafe, again at the appropriate time we get a few spots of rain motivating up to move on. We headed over the hills pass Megget and Talla reservoirs past Stobo Castle and park up in Peebles where we have a wander round the stops. At this point we loose 3 cars, the Wolseley heads home with a slipping clutch - that's what happens trying to keep up with the Imps - and Bill and Ian go with him.

We all head for home via Penicuik where I turn off and go to visit my brother, they have just a downpour that we missed, after a coffee I take the Clan back and park it up 125 miles and never missed a beat, gearbox good.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Busy weekend with an Autosolo on Saturday and a Production Car Trial on the Sunday. As the Clan has not seen much usage over the last two years I took the time to go through it from front to back. It was surprising how many bolts while not loose nipped up, the horseshoe clips from one of the rear cylinders had gone awol, cleaned and reassembled all the brakes. The steering rack had some stifffness so removed it but didn't find anything obvious however it did seems to free up when I loosened the bolts that hold the steering arms to the rack. Only thing I could think off was that they were rubbing on the casing of the rack so added a washer under the heads of the bolts which freed it up.

Serviced the engine and replaced a broken exhaust mounting, changed the gearbox oil even though it has was done 500 miles ago when the box went back in after being repaired with VERY expensive oil but wanted to check all was OK with it, no traces of any metal :D

The autosolo took place at Forrrestburn - my local venue where I do the PCT's and Track Days but was being run by Scottish Sporting Car Club, there were 18 entries with a wide variety of cars. There were 2 test both run 4 times with the slowest dropped. I had forgotten how much grunt the Clan has as difficult to exploit it on the road so was surprised as it took off from the line, I was pretty rusty initially but improved through the day and ended with the Fastest time of the day for test two just need to get some consistency to improve overall result -ended 6th out of 18. The weather was out standing wall to wall sunshine and even got warm by the afternoon also took home a box of chocolates for throwing up the most gravel :shock:

Awoke Sunday with the Sun shining again and made my way back to Forrestburn for the PCT however this time I was in the Polo, the Clan is almost too good due to it's traction and often clean the tests so wanted something a bit more challenging. Another excellent day although poorly attended this time as a number of call off's but everyone had a great day.
276290615_10160492101869066_3092634995814270594_n.jpg
276306969_10160492100914066_827374122389835596_n.jpg
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Scott, if you aren't bolting the exhaust solidly to the engine ONLY (not to body work) you will keep breaking exhaust mounts. Eric also bolts his to the engine solid, so the exhaust moves with the engine, not against it. I was getting breaks until I solidly bolted the exhaust to the engine and mine goes across the back but solidly bolted to the sump studs ..std exhaust is also solidly bolted of course.

Good to see VAK still out and about. :) Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

It is bolted to the engine with rubber exhaust bobbins, it eliminates the exhaust vibrating at certain resonances which otherwise annoys me. :evil:

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:13 pm Peter

It is bolted to the engine with rubber exhaust bobbins, it eliminates the exhaust vibrating at certain resonances which otherwise annoys me. :evil:

Scott
Yes ~I did the same (a rubber bobbin to engine) but it still vibrated my packable carbon silencer apart. Completely solid mount to engine now for years and all is good.

I'm currently waiting for a refresh on my 1040. Mark Maynard is doing the valve guides and an issue with one big-end cap spreading which almost spun a bearing. Caught it just in time, but it might need new rods. Mark reckons the larger cap bolts and too much torque were the issue (B1 rods). Hope to get it back before summer properly starts, but he's busy with engines from racers, atm. Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

Good luck in getting the engine back but looking out the window Summer looks like it has arrived already. :o

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

VAK has lain in the garage since the autotest some 5 weeks ago, it should have been at Imp Ecosse but I ended up riding shotgun in the Tunnock's Van on the Saturday and with Jim Fraser in his Coupe on the Sunday so never popped home to pick it up. Today was the Linwood Day Run organised by Glasgow ACO Alex Knox, Clan fired right up after check oil/ water/ tyres (all present and correct :D ) don't you just love full engine management and injection.

Met up with some of the guys at Kincardine Bridge before heading over to the site of the Rootes Factory at Linwood, we had 9 Imps a Clan and a Caterham a few people came over to look at the cars and reminisce after about an hour we set off for Aberfoyle via Strathblane/Killearn/Balfron/Port of Menteith - a pleasant 40 odd mile run.
Parked up and grabbed a coffee and bite to eat while hanging around the cars, loads of people came over to talk and admire the cars.

After a couple of hours it was time to go our separate ways, a few of us decided to take the scenic route up the Dukes Pass to Callander/ Doune/ Dunblane/ Stirling. For me it was a 168 mile round trip just need to refuel tomorrow for the monthly meeting.

The Imps and Clan certainly made a lot of peoples day, the number of people from kids to OAP's seeing them pass by waved to us and smiling, saw one old lady coming out of church turn to her friend and say Oh! look at the wee Imps. Kids who have no clue what their looking at but because they are different and small love them.

20220501_102506.jpg
20220501_102537.jpg
IMG-20220501-WA0003.jpeg

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

With less than 90 days until the National I sat down and had a look at what track days were on around that weekend, I settled on Snetterton on the Monday before (25th). It's an evening event 5-8.00pm with a BBQ afterwards included, booked accommodation then thought as I would be in the area get it rolling roaded at Emerald as the Clan uses their system. Phoned this morning to be told they were booking session for July currently, perfect I say that when I need it for, 25th is the first date - absolutely perfect that's the day I need, I'll count that as a win.

Anyone fancy joining me ? I know we have Goodwood on the Thursday but that's not a real track day :shock: .

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Next Sunday another trackday at Forrestburn if anyone fancies coming along, was there last weekend for a charity event organised by Flying Haggis Racing in aide of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's raising £1600 which they were delighted with. The passengers didn't have much to say after their runs, can't think why :wink:

The weekend before I was back at Forrestburn for my second autotest of the year, this time I put on a set of old gravel tyres as on my normal tyres there was just too much grip to slide it easily. Might have worked at was 1st in Class, fastest on all the tests and FTD, well chuffed.
280658832_126686316669256_8963741773229182188_n.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

In preparation for tomorrow's track day I swapped the wheels and tyres for the road legal track tyres (A048's and R888's) well almost legal :shock: pretty much on the limit but after tomorrow they will get used at Snetterton and Goodwood and see how much life is left in them then track use only.

Spotted a missing clip from the rear wheel cylinder (again) don't know if if was the same side as I replaced recently or not. This time is was N/S - now I can check back here in the future. :)

Didn't bother lowering it but will do that before heading off for the National along with a clutch change as noticed it sliping under hard use but it's done that for the last 3 events although no signs of it on the road, YET.

New problem that I noticed at last track day when queuing was the temp rising but revving it brought it back down, I'm thinking the water pump is not circulating the water properly at idle. Pump is a NEW 930 one but that doesn't prove anything so in the meantime I raised the idle speed and see what effect that has tomorrow before thinking about replacing it.

Also had a play with the Maps for the ECU, updated the AFR corrections and raised the rpm limits, it was set at a very conservative 8200 hard cut with the shift light at 7800. Now 8500 and 8000 respectively. Rolling road session before National will hopefully show whether there is any point venturing any higher.

Scott
20220604_200331.jpg
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

The trackday went well, did a dozen or so runs on a dry track. The sun was out but blowy which is pretty normal for Forrestburn.

Tyres certain had a lot more grip than the road tyres although I did have a little off, I was stringing a good run together and locked up going into the top hairpin and sailed straight on into the earth bank. Thankfully the bank was soft and the Clan tough, no more damage than already exists to the N/S front corner.

What was very noticeable was how much stiffer the tyres are with the car stotting on the road making it pretty unpleasant on rough surfaces.

Raised rev limit was better, the extra few hundred rpm meant the gear changes were at more opportune times.

Monklands Sporting Car Clubs Hillclimb is next weekend and they are desperately short of Marshals, any one available to give a hand would be welcome. No experience necessary and £20 to help cover your fuel costs plus 2 Imps entered.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Some video of today's antics
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

You took a far better line, and was more committed, than MOST of the others.

Turn-in and adjustability of the Clan so much better than nearly all of them, too! :D

Looks fun! 8)

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 pm You took a far better line, and was more committed, than MOST of the others.

Turn-in and adjustability of the Clan so much better than nearly all of them, too! :D

Looks fun! 8)

Clan004
Yeah but they didn't go off :lol: :roll:

It was a good day

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Since the last track day Sundays have been taken up with Car shows unfortunately none of them have had good weather, the last one at Moffat the weather was so bad that cars were leaving before they arrived :shock: , it was pretty bad.

This Sunday is Glamis and it 's looking good weather wise and we have a full stand, so looking forward to a good day and maybe even put on me shorts.

Last Saturday picked up an Octavia Estate for Amy which meant I had to remove the tyre rack from the trailer, it needs to go back on for the National but needed some cosmetic work having been used in the winter a few years ago and the salt had got to some of it, Stripped back and repainted.
20220708_135059.jpg
20220708_161726.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Sunday was officially Scorchio, certainly helped make it a busy event. There were 16 Imps and 2 Clans on the Imp Club stand, 150 mile round trip for me at 52 mpg - not too shabby for what is basically a race engine and close ratio gearbox.
20220710_100144.jpg
20220710_100201.jpg
20220710_100215.jpg
With only 2 weeks until I head south for the National it was time to get the Clan ready, big job is to replace the clutch -works fine on the road but slips under hard starts, plus changing the set up in preparation for two track days. I have booked one for the Monday before at Snetterton plus a rolling road session at Emerald just because they are in the same area and the one at Goodwood. Unfortunately when taking the Octavia off the lift that I had been working on for Amy it popped a CV joint - my fault, must have dislodged the circlip when dismantling the front suspension, anyhow now fixed.

While waiting on that to be sorted started servicing the trailer plus some repairs to the trailer, it's got a lot of miles ahead of it. Booked the Kodiaq in for a service next week. Tomorrow I'll get started on stripping the Clan.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Removed gearbox and clutch and was surprised to see it was in OK condition although the bearing ring was rattly explaining the noise experienced when pressing the clutch. I'll replace it anyway with a NOS I have.
20220713_130004.jpg
20220713_132153.jpg
20220713_140217.jpg
Other issues picked up when taking it out were a worn UJ in the gear change rod - simply weld up the worn yokes and pins - hopefully will help resolved the issues with selecting reverse.
20220713_152606.jpg
A fuel injector which was damp, on stripping the throttle bodies the o ring had a nick in it so have ordered a replacement set and will reseal them all.
20220713_154918.jpg
Shock absorber bolt which was seized solid in the sleeve of the bush, required cutting either side of the mounting to remove, had a look tonight for a replacement online but not able to find anything of the correct size -requires further thinking.

Scott
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

Hi Scott. For the damper bush have you looked and powerflex and superflex universal bushes on their web pages? Bob at club spares might have some. On your UJ conversion have you removed the rear support bracket? Clutch plate looks ok so is the cover weak and not providing enough clamping pressure or is the release bearing a roller release type that protrudes too far forwards in the fork so when you lift off the clutch pedal is the rod and piston bottoming out in slave cylinder and leaving bearing in contact with the cover slightly so cover is not returning far enough to provide full clamp pressure? There are some roller release bearing conversions that protrude too far and put the fork of the optimum pivot point. Is the piston in the slave cylinder free over the full length of travel i.e. could it be jamming in the bore and not returning far enough? Is the master cylinder returning far enough as well or is it holding a bit of pressure in the line. Other than that I cannot think of anything else, maybe you need a paddle clutch I have always run a three blade plate and it is brilliant don't believe the story's of they are like a switch I cannot tell the difference between standard and my paddle
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Mike

Yeah, had a look through the power and super flex ranges and nothing matches, it's got Koni's on the rear and eye is a different diameter from standard. I pulled out a spare set and they will give up their bushes to save the day. You still got mine ? going to National ?

Bracket removed, reason for wear is using cheap 50p UJ's :roll: it's the area around the pins that had worn oval. I've welded the pins in place on previous versions but loctited them this time - looks like I go back to welding them as not had this as an issue before.

Looking at the pic of the clutch plate the rivets for the centre a showing signs of moving back and forth, I recon it's got too much traction and torque for the standard set up when when dropping the clutch from a standing start so it's the weak link in the system. The paddle clutch might be the answer but quite like the idea of it acting as the fuseable link. The cover currently is a QH and will be replacing with an NOS laycock and see if that is any better. The other answer is to stop being a hooligan and treat it more sympathetically. I'll certainly give the hydraulic side a good check over.

Scott
moose

Post by moose »

Hi. Yes still got your Koni, I will not be at national as too busy and not enough holidays left to book it off. I can post koni too you if you need it can press bush out at this end as well if it helps. Fit a paddle with new Laycock and it will be fine that is all i use, hard part will you not being a hooligan!
moose

Post by moose »

you could try the paddle and slip it off the line rather than dropping the clutch I would rather have the plate re-paddled than blow a donut, or crack a gearbox casing
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Mike

Re Koni, I'm going to Geoff Peacocks on Sunday 24th July on way to National, if you see him before that I can collect at the same time as the panels I'm picking up, otherwise I get some other time.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Had a proper look at the clutch plate and the centre boss has a huge amount of play when there should be none :shock:

Anyhoo, replaced the clutch and refitted the gearbox then started bolting everything back on, rebushed the shock absorber which need redrilling and reaming from 3/8 to 7/16 due to the arrangement where the check strap mounts, the check straps are needed because it has double UJ driveshafts. It has double UJ driveshafts as it removes the side loads from the doughnuts etc. Dominos. The driveshafts do make a big difference to the doughnuts as they have been on since I built the car and are unmarked and in as new condition :D Only real hold up was the need to cut off the captive nut off the suspension arm as it was stripped and put on a nut.

Checked out the clutch hydraulics and everything seems to be in order.
20220714_184427.jpg
20220714_184436.jpg
Scott
moose

Post by moose »

A good result all round. Just enlarged the clutch plate picture and can see what you mean with the rivets. I Will get the Koni to Geoff on Monday no problem.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Scott
Can you point me to your posts with detailed pictures where you developed mods for the rear crossmember /gearbox mounts / gear selector flexi etc, that enable you to remove the transaxle with the engine in situ?

I will be putting the 1040 back into the Clan later this year and want to trial my std and CR tranaxles with the refreshed 1040. Would be great not to have to disturb the cooling system pipes etc in the process. So I'd like to copy your approach.

I've stuck to the normal clutch too. Mark Maynard had suggested a paddle conversion, but I'm not hard on clutches tbh. Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

There isn't much details posted already so I'll talk you through it. There is a photo a couple of pages back shown the slot in the crossmember I will mention.

The main mod is to cut a slot in the crossmember so that the tail of the gearbox can drop down. The mounts need to be removed when installing and removing the box, it helps to reduce the length of the locating pin to get them in/out when the box in place.

To remove gearbox, unbolt mounts and remove, unbolt engine, support engine but allow a degree of flexibility, remove engine mount. lower tail of gearbox - will require a bit of levering to get the lugs to clear the crossmember. Once the box clears the crossmember, lower until it can be pulled clear of engine (about 30 degrees)

Installation is a reverse of removal but will be a lot easier is you can have someone give you a hand.

It can be done on the floor but is much easier on the lift which you have and a transmission jack.
20220715_160931.jpg
20220715_160939.jpg

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Carrying on with the prep, lowered the front to match the rear, delglazed the brakes - replaced the rear shoes although the shoes only 50% worn they will do for road use on one of the Imps. A front wheel bearing was not smooth so changed that. Replaced the door mirrors as they no longer stayed in the same position and no way of tightening them. Cleaned up the wheels.
20220715_115551.jpg
20220715_160831.jpg
20220715_160841.jpg
20220715_172820.jpg

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Seals for injectors arrived today so got them fitted but fuel pissed out when I turned on pump, feared the worst but turned out to be the banjo needed tightening to FT.

Topped up all the fluids including a brake fluid change and greased the UJ and kingpins, adjusted the front wheel bearing and spanner checked everything. Refitted all the engine ancillaries that had been removed.

Still having issue with reverse selection going to have a look at gear lever ball although it has a fairly new one fitted and double check the pinch bolt tomorrow. However it run and drives again.
20220716_165709.jpg
20220716_165740.jpg
Front end still sitting high despite having screwed down platform so will have a look for the other springs that I think I have, looked at home and only found the 12" ones which iirc were too long so check at shed tomorrow.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Looked out some parts last night but forgot to taken them with me :oops: however in the end all was good as didn't need them :D

Started off by changing the spark plugs, put in the Platinum ones I use on track days better for high revs and heat dispersion.

Had another look at the pinch bolt on the gear linkage. it's a new one from Club Spares but on closer inspection and comparing it to another spare it is undersize, not by much but enough in my case to allow it to rotate slightly when selecting reverse rather than turning the selector shaft. Once the correct one fitted selection was much improved, it has a strong detent so never going to be light.

Dug out the original springs and fitted them, still a little high so screwed down the platforms. Happy now with the height.

Cleaned off various witness marks from previous indiscretions before taking it home as I need to bed in the brakes, there is slight play in the steering so check that out tomorrow. Steering seems strangely lighter but stiffer springs don't like pot holes but not too many of them on race tracks :D
20220717_121929.jpg
IMG-20220717-WA0005.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Up early to avoid the heat of the day, sorted out bits and pieces ready for the National and then checked the new trailer lights were working, fitted LED one in the hope that it ends the constant blown bulbs and poor earths, time will tell.

Had a look at the play in the steering, it's coming from the UJ in the column, nothing I can do about it for now, it's not a significant amount and not going to cause an issues in the short term. Ill remove the column when back and figure out what needs done.

Checked the tracking as rather sensitive over bumps, cats eyes etc, but within spec, it's just the hard set up with stiff side walled tyres.

Decided I can't leave the water pump alone so pulled it and will replace it with another NOS along with a drive belt and see if it makes any difference.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Final run before I leave for National, I hate the set up over the poor road surface but all will be go0d when I get it on track.

Readjusted front suspension as 1.5 degrees negative on n/s but 2.6 on o/s, raised o/s and now 1.5 on both.

Checked the brakes and not close to being run in yet, take it easy on them for the first session at Snetterton and should bed in quickly and readjust.

Washed it again and fueled with Tesco's finest Momentum 99.

New tyres arrived today after being delayed but forecast for the week ahead looks good so I'll just do with the ones on it, swap to the road going tyres after Goodwood.

Scott
John A Ross
Car Model: TOO MANY !

Post by John A Ross »

Thats a shed load of work Scott you have squeezed in 8)

best of luck on the track day, hope it all goes well.
- John A. Ross
-----------------
https://www.nx16.com || https://www.hillmanimp.org || Or find me on Facebook !
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Alton National Part 1

Sent off on the Sunday before the National via Norfolk stopping in at Preston on the way to pick up some wide arches and spoiler for the Clan.
Unfortunately the look with the arches taped on is not the one I'm after, so going to have to fabricate the fronts from scratch to clear the 6" wheels
I want to use, rears are fine with the 7.5" I have fitted.

Stopped at the Swan Inn overnight before heading to Emerald to have the Clan rolling roaded, it was previously done before the 2018 National but wasn't in the best on health and holed a piston at a track day at Kendrew Barracks the following day. It remained on the trailer for the rest of the weekend.

The engine having been rebuilt with an R21 rather than R20 but running the same map wanted to see if there was anything to be had, having said that the engine was flawless, pulled strongly right through the range, drove along at 30mph in top and would return 50mpg on runs.

Issue that arose during the mapping is there appears to be an exhaust leak making the lambda sensor think it was running lean and over fueling. Switched off the adaptive mode and set it up via peak power. See attached print out for results.
20220802_174925.jpg
Less than I had thought but the way it drives I more than happy with a really flat torque curve and linear power curve. I'll fix the exhaust leak and reinstall the adaptive mapping.

Loaded the car up and headed for Snetterton for a track day evening.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Alton National Part 2

Slight detour on the way to Snetterton to get some fuel - only the best Shell V Power 99 octane - Tesco was closed due to technical issues with pumps.

Arrived early so a bit of hanging about until signing on, then the fun starts after a couple of sighting laps.

I did 3 sessions, the first 40 miles, the second 50 miles and finally 27 miles. Total of 125 miles including sighting etc.

I had downloaded RaceChrono a great app for your phone, records loads of data. My best lap time was 2.33 mins, max speed 102.1 mph, max min speed 33 mph, Ave lap time 69.1 mph. No idea how that measures against anything else but I was very pleased with the way it went. Only concern was the engine temp as running at 100 degrees under full load, dropped back if I lifted off, it did not cause any issues and just ignored it but will affect power produced. Temp telltales show max of 92 degrees at cam end of head and 99 degrees at laminova oil side. Two things I will look at to bring this down, the first is the radiator is double pass which should be good but requires a higher flow than normal, it runs a Sunbeam 930 pump currently and going to try a secondary electric pump. The second is running a laminova oil cooler which is after the radiator so heating the water on its way to the engine, it might make a difference if it was after the engine but will try no. 1 first.

A great day, brakes seemed to bed in after the first session but really need to do some work with them as lifting and coasting too early, relatively speaking it's a cheaper way to go faster if I can carry more speed and have confidence in the brakes.

Part 1

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Alton National Part 3

This track day didn't seem particularly busy and in the mid part of it seemed to be the only one out there, I had thought they had all gone home and left me :? It's good for getting your lines right but chasing someone does make you try a little harder :D

My favourite part of the track was through the bomb hole and around Coram curve, the one I never seemed to have the right line was Riches and never seemed to remember when Oggies was coming up. :shock:

Used about 20 ltrs of fuel - say 5 gallon so doing 25mpg about half what it used on the road - happy with that.

Video 2 and 3 don't have much happening. 4 & 5 a little more but nothing exciting, in fact the whole event went without stoppages which is very unusual. I have more video but it's boring even me :lol:

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

Headed back to hotel, had a few beers and off to bed happy that everything had gone without incident.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Alton National part 4

Left Norfolk for Alford on Tuesday morning and a steady run had me arriving for 12.30pm, as there was nothing I could help with as the marque was still being erected I set up my tent and by the time I came back they were ready for help. Did various jobs as needed and help marshal on the Wednesday when attendees started arriving.

Tuesday evening 4 of us headed for the White Hart in nearby Holybourne where we discovered it was burger night -but one get one half price. What's not to like so we all had burgers :D Wednesday we headed back with come others in tow and had another great meal although no offers that night :cry:

Thursday was Goodwood Track Day so headed off to get some 99 octane fuel for the Clan and then over to Goodwood, some interesting roads - rather narrow and some steep hills but arrived safely.

On arriving at Goodwood with no clear signage where to go to the paddocks, I ended up on the airfield :? :shock: quick U turn avoiding the helicopter found the paddock and unloaded the trailer. Quick check of the Clans fluid levels and all good after Snetterton, no oil or water used. After signing on and noise check (a low 93db at 5K rpm - pleased with that as good for low noise track days) it was time for lunch. Not particularly hungry but what I had was nice then time for briefing which was rather uncomfortable in the heat, then time to get out on track.

Most impressed on the slickness of the marshals and the whole day was much better than I was expecting, only a few incidents mostly mechanical and one accident but no one hurt thankfully.

Again had Racechrono on but no video as they wanted a second restraint on camera so just put it in my pocket. Managed to get in 58 miles with a best lap time of 1.51, top speed of 100 mph, max min speed of 55 mph and an ave 78mph. It is a fast circuit with only 3rd and 4th need once moving. Driving standard were very good despite a huge variety of cars and levels of experience.

Madgewicks at the end of the paddock straight took a few attempts to get right as a double apex requiring you to stay wide approaching the first one, miss it and it pushes you wide and off camber. Lavant straight is interesting as little run off area and a hard banking if you get it wrong, chicane not as tight as it looks on TV.

Twice I ran wide on the exit of the chicane and on to the rumble strips which are fairly large, on the second occasion as I came off them there was a terrible noise which I couldn't identify but though I'd maybe broken a doughnut or driveshaft so dipped the clutch and no change so pulled over just after the pit exit and switched off :? :? :? :? :? :? :? Still making the noise, then I realised it was the horn - the vibrations has shorted the horn push, a couple of swift thumps had it sorted so rejoined the track and continued this time staying off the kerbs. :lol: Some of the guys over looking the pits, thought I was tooting to them and had waved back then wondered why I had stopped :lol:

Big Thanks to Col Rooney for organising, I know it caused him some stress but was brilliant and enjoyed by everyone whether they took part or watched. Hopefully get to repay him with a track day at Knockhill next year.

I didn't take part in the parade laps but loaded the car on the trailer before heading back to Alton, this time the roads were a lot busier and needed to be careful as roads narrow and couldn't let trailer cross the centre line. At one point at a sharp bend in a village with stone wall on the N/S I stopped before the corner to let the oncoming traffic pass, the transit minibus rather than driving forward elects to reverse and despite my frantic waving, reverses straight into the Fiat 500 behind. Once the driver of the 500 steps back off the road I continue on my way without the other vehicles having to move :(

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Alton National Part 5

Writing this a week after getting back home, can't believe it's been a week but have made progress on the Stiletto so it might be so.
IMG-20220805-WA0002.jpeg
20220807_173021.jpg
After Goodwood and Snetterton it was time to drop the pace and chill for the rest of the weekend, Friday morning swapped the wheels over on the Clan to road rubber then dropped off the BMW engine and diff bits to Col Rooney I had brought down from Scotland and picked up a wing and front panel for Project Crusty Husky if that ever happens. We decided to head over to the Basingstoke Canal which was one of the organised trips for that day but chose not to go on the barge - I'm all for chilling but catatonic maybe a step too far :roll:. Got a drink in the pub and then set off a walk along the canal, all very pleasant but by then it was getting a bit too hot so turned back before we reached the castle and headed back to Alton.

Wandered around the stalls and auto jumble and picked up some bits I had pre-ordered and spotted a pair of drivers side front wings and some other nos panels, we couldn't agree a price on some of the panels but bought the wings - you got to get them when you can as they never seem to be available when you NEED them. Caught up with a few people before heading back out to the White Hart again later joining the crowd back at the marque for a few beers and lots of chat. :D

Saturday started cloudy but soon burned off and got hot again, a bit of a lazy start so joined the afternoon run to Milestones Museum where we spent a few hours, very nicely done but couldn't help comparing to Beamish as the concept was similar. Back at Alton we headed out to you know were for a meal but this time we went early so we would be back in time for the activities in the marque. As it was still very warm we sat outside, enough said about that :x.

Good crowd in the Marque but fancy dress seemed poorly supported this year and the DJ was too loud but that might be just me getting old - or maybe I'm just old already :?

Had a good nights sleep for a change so after breakfast of porridge and a coffee took the Clan to the display field and parked it up then had another coffee before heading down to vote. After voting we headed to the cafe and had lunch, I had said to Nigel when I bought the wings if the other panels had not sold I'd be back to talk about them again before he packed up, in the end we agreed a price and added a MK1 transom and standard bootg and front chassis leg to the items to take home.

By now it was time for the awards to be announced but as usual they were delays to the start, it takes a lot longer to get them counted than realised. The presentations were going along quite nicely until class L - Clans which I was pleasantly surprised to win, an engraved beer mug :D, after that there was some problem with the results which required a recount which delayed proceedings a bit but they got over that and the Rosemary Smith trophy went to Les Human for his standard MK1 which was doubly deserved as well being an Alton resident.

A lot of people packed up after the awards and set off for home, a lad appeared late afternoon and started unloading his Van with a number of NOS panels and just happened to be passing so picked up a pair of front wings and inner front arches, by this time my bank balance has had a battering but as I have said, got to get them when you can, I maybe should say at this point I'm restoring Imps for customers so they will be used to save them and not profiteering from them.
20220802_150730.jpg
20220802_150745.jpg
20220802_150758.jpg
Sunday night for a change we had a Chinese carry out before heading over to take part in the quiz, a thoroughly enjoyable night but retired fairly sharp as long journey tomorrow.

Monday morning, much noise from my neighbours as they are setting off, thanks Jim and Keith :evil: but it's OK I'm up anyway :wink:
Pack up the tent etc and then head for a shower followed by my porridge and coffee before loading the last of my gear into the car.

Drive round the top field and collect the fire extinguishers and some rubbish bags before collecting the signs from the route marking the way in, after that and thanking Tim and the crew for a great event set off on my way home. After filling up I follow the route set by google maps and again it really likes these small narrow roads, I think it's avoiding built up areas where it know they are delays, at one point I'm running parallel to a very busy arterial road with pretty much stationary traffic so it must know what it's doing. Anyway I make it safely onto the M40 then M6 and over the border into Scotland, barring a few slow moving sections it was a relatively smooth journey, stopped twice, once for a comfort break and the other for a quick 20 min power nap, otherwise non stop. Setting the cruise control at between 58 and 60 for most of the journey I had the ave fuel up to 39.8mpg but the last 40 miles cross country knocked it back down to 39 mpg, not too shabby towing a trailer with the Clan. Over the week away I covered 1129 miles at an average of 36.9mpg, no oil or water on either the Kodiaq or the Clan :D.

Big Thanks to everyone involved whatever their part in the weekend, if you weren't there you missed out on another great event, next up WWW.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

VAK not been shown any love since its last run out to the Farming Yesteryear car show at Scone in September (venue for National 2023), I was tidying the garage and since the salt will have been washed away due to the downpours of the last couple of days felt it was safe to venture out.

Pulled the plugs and turned it over until the oil pressure came up, after putting the plug leads back in the correct order :oops: it fired right up. Took it out for a wee run (22 miles) involving lots of roundabouts which meant lots of burst of acceleration up to the speed limit. Still on track day set up it was a bit bumpy but went well. :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Got the display at Doune Hillclimb tomorrow so decided to give it a quick check as not really looked at it although it has been out a couple of times this year, because it doesn't use oil or water and fires up every time it gets a bit neglected.

The push button starter switch has been intermittent recently, I say that but there is still clicking from the engine so I maybe calling it wrong. Press the switch and despite a click no turning over of the engine, it is easy to bypass by connecting the solenoid to the main terminal on the pre-engaged starter motor so that seems Ok and once done that button resumes service for a while :? . So I tried removing the switch for a look but it wouldn't come out so ended up destroying it :oops: jury rigged an alternative while I wait on delivery of a new one.

Spotted a broken exhaust mounting at last weeks Bridge of Allan show, temp fix was to hold it in place with vice grips and then cable tied them to a bracket to prevent them flying off if they came loose. Did the job but sorted properly today.

Rear tyres nearly down to the wear bars so ordered up a new set, due to clearance issue on the front when ride height set low, it runs 5" with 175/60/13 Hankook Ultra Grip NS2 but at the time only tyre in 185/60/13 I could find was the NS2-R which is a road going slick (on 6") and it's not lasted long, however I have since found they do a 195/60/13 in the NS 2 which I have ordered. I might put them on the 7" rims I have, also have a set of split rim 7.5" which also fit under rear arches without modification.

Looking forward to Doune tomorrow, it's the Classic weekend and there a 4 or 5 Imps and 2 Clans entered, we were to have 8 cars on display but they seem to be falling by the wayside due to various issues, so space for any last minute entries.
20230520_142841.jpg
20230520_153207.jpg
Scott
John A Ross
Car Model: TOO MANY !

Post by John A Ross »

I wont get away with a second weekend out Scott but the weather looks good so it will be a good day.

The line-up of imp/clan competitors is impressive given it was rare to see just one or two

Best of luck to all tomorrow

- John A. Ross
-----------------
https://www.nx16.com || https://www.hillmanimp.org || Or find me on Facebook !
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Today was the Scottish Rootes Enthusiastic's Classic Car Rally at Moffat, during the week I fitted new tyres to new wheels for the rear as the forecast was for rain. I was running on Nankang Ultra Sport NS-2R which are a semi slick on 6 inch minilights with an inch spacer, as they were what I could find available at the time but subsequently found they did the NS2 in 195/60/13 which matches the fronts and is a road tyre. I bought the 7 x 13's Col had on "The Pest" knowing I can fit 7.5's with 185/60/13 on the rear without issue.
20230625_170026.jpg
20230625_170040.jpg
I didn't have time for a road test during the week so the first time out with them fitted was today on the way to pick up my brother on the way to Moffat, minor rubbing so no problem at least until Craig got in the the rubbing and burning rubber smell over uneven surface or on compression in bumps, so we took it easy and did our best to avoid the worst of the pot holes. It is amazing how driving classics makes you acutely aware of the state of our roads.

Arrive safely, it was clear that this year was quieter than previous years, whether it was the dreadful weather last year or being new organizers or something else wasn't clear. After parking up got a bacon roll and started wandering, along the way bumped in to a number of people, some Impers some from competition and stopped for a chat as you do. Weather was fair, slightly overcast but warm enough for shorts and t-shirt, Craig bought some tools and paint stripper including a 4ft lever bar just because you never know when you might need one, bargain at £35.

We had a few light showers that never came to anything, at least until 1.30 ish, when it was clear it was here for a while we decided to head, the trip back was very wet with lots of standing water but the Clan coped well with the added advantage the water lubricated the tyre enough to stop the squeak :roll:. Back home emptied the wet kit out and parked up, I've got some thin spacers that I'll fit to the drivers side and recheck.

No sure if there are any more events before the National so I'll have to go through it thoroughly before the trackday. :D

Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Good to hear you have fitted the wheels Scott and they are ok on the Clan, apart from the rubbing I guess. :roll: A wee arch adjustment require dim guessing or not taking Craig with you?? :lol:

I never realised the Moffat show was on as I would've have joined you instead of heading down to the Jim Clark F1 championship 60th anniversary at Duns Castle Was a cracking day there with the sun shining. Enjoyed the run down with Baillie following me in his MX-5.
Only one other Imp there and that was Andrew Cowans rally Imp that was in the show itself along with some other local rally cars.
Andrew Cowans rally Imp lhs.JPG
Catch up soon
Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

It was the Club meeting last night (must have been about 20 turned up although only saw 2 Imps and 2 Clans) as it was sunny when I arrived home I thought that I'd take the opportunity to try the spacers. I have a selection of 3/6/10mm, starting with the smallest put it on and then drove round the cal de sac taking care to drive over all the drains and up onto the pavement and off, still catching a bit on the worst drain so fitted the 6mm on and repeated. Still the same, the original issue of the inside wall of the tyre rubbing on the inner arch was sorted by the 3mm spacer but still rubbing on the inside edge at the top under compression, could sort by raising the ride height ever so slightly but as it only happens now on rare occasions I can live with it.

The Clan does drive ever so well, always surprises me every time I get in :D

Need to think about getting it ready for the Knockhill Trackday on the 3rd August as part of the National weekend, not much to do but will give it a full spanner check and a service and see what else I pick up.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

With just over a week until National Time, got to get a wriggle on, Clan was really last looked at a year ago getting it ready for Alton.
20230723_164634.jpg
20230723_164700.jpg

First off, was an oil change. The oil usually retains it's clartity between changes but was pretty black this time, whether it due to having done a rolling road session/ Snetterton and Goodwood and then some smaller events I'm not sure. Anyhoo, drain the oil then refilled with standard 20/50 and ran it up to temp and drained again - still fairly black so repeated and this time it came out oil coloured so refilled with Competition 20w/60.

Changed the oil filter and inspected it for debris, a small bit of Grey Glue and a couple of small shiny bits but nothing untoward.
20230723_163105.jpg
Intended to just check the gearbox as it had been rebuilt before Alton after it chewed the pinion, I put some very expensive oil in to protect it this time. Oil was good and no shiny bits on the magnet just the usual sludge you get especially when new, replaced with more expensive oil.

Reverse has been a challenge to get, requiring a good thump to get it past the detent, so had a look thinking it was the pinch bolt as some are the wrong size and cause the coupling to rotate before turning the selector shaft. All seemed OK, first try and it was perfect, then nothing. Stripped it again and refitted and 100%, selects nicely so not sure what's going on but not had it out yet, fingers crossed.

Fitted a couple of spacers under the rear springs to gain a bit of clearance for the new tyres (see previous), I have several different ones depending on what I'm doing with the car, while it doesn't look much of a change, for every 1mm added it raises the ride height by 1.75mm so you don't need huge amounts.
20230724_125039.jpg
20230724_125129.jpg
20230724_125141.jpg
Spanner checked the bolts, only ones that tightened were the vertical ones on the crossmember, the drive couplings all looked good, they certainly have an easier time with the double UJ driveshafts.

Fixed the horn, at Goodwood it jammed on and confused me and the spectators and been running around with the fuse out. Just needed the connectors pushing on properly.

Inspected/cleaned and adjusted the brakes, plenty of material so good to go.

Still need to clean and reoil the air filter, fit the colder plugs and sort the starter button. Tyres I'll decide nearer the time depending on the weather, as this year is close to home I don't have to take all options with me :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Oiled the air filter and fitted, took it out and washed it.

Now ready for Knockhill next Thursday, just fuel to add and tyres to decide on according to the weather on the day.

What a joy it is to have a reverse gear that engages as it should :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Have to say I'm not sure what I did that was different to fix it but I'll take that as a win 👍
20230726_110341.jpg
20230726_110355.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Took the Clan home tonight, it's surprising how much 3 clips on the front shocks stiffens it up, not fun on the road but be great for the track.

Vibration apparent which I think is the rear wheels as they weren't balanced, at least I hope that's it, I'll remove them and get them balanced and retest but not much time left :shock:

Scott