VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:00 am

Be nice to the new temporary replacement pump too ..it made you refocus on the radiator! :)

All's well that ends well. 8)
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:10 pm

:D

Job finally done, fitted the old water pump then went to workshop to make up spacers. By turning the pulley round because its offset I only need 5mm in the end although I made up 2 x 3mm 1x 2mm and 1x 1.5mm so that I would have the ability to vary the size. It probably would have been quicker to remount it but this way I have better flexibility with the various designs of pumps that there appears to be.

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. No pics I'm afraid.

Took it for a test drive, on the run out rock steady at 75 degrees. Stopped and topped it up then headed for the motorway - 77 degrees at 6500 rpm with a rise to 80 on a hill at 7000rpm pulled it back to 5500 and temp dropped back to 77 and on exiting the motorway dropped to 75 and stayed there for the run home.
Not quite the challenging heat tonight but probably more representative of the weather expected at Oulton Park next Wednesday.

Now I can get on with the final preparations, that's taken the best part of a week to resolve thankful I have the flexibility to be able to do that :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 pm

All loaded up ready to set off tomorrow morning for Wednesday's track day at Oulton Park but going by Manchester/ Wales/ Wrexham and Crewe, three countries in one day. Not quite the challenge of 10 countries in 4 days in September in a Stiletto :shock:

Still no pics as limit reached :cry:

Safe journey to the National for those going and if not, why not :wink:

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 pm

Would have been nice to go to the National with the Clan and catch-up with folk but my son is getting married on Saturday so I can't go.

I would have liked to have a good close-up gawp at VAK and all the mods you've done ...but hey ho I think the son is expecting me to turn-up at his wedding, so maybe next year? Clan004
ylee coyote
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by ylee coyote » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

there is always sunday ......
M-Power Clan Crusader
Saab Turbo X
Saab Turbo T16s
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 pm

ylee coyote wrote:there is always sunday ......
I'll be helping clear up the mess from the night before ...this is a diy country bumkin wedding ... no hotels or wedding companies or outside help involved. :) Clan004
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:05 am

Except for the registrar, and Vicar / Celebrant I hope!
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:48 am

oli wrote:Except for the registrar, and Vicar / Celebrant I hope!
There'll be plenty of that! :D

Which will make the job of clearing-up the next day all the more difficult! :)
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Peter K

Your excused. some things are bigger than Imps - in fact most things are :lol:

However, you could pop over to Oulton Park - not too far.

Enjoy the wedding hopefully his only one. :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm

IMG_20190806_120329.jpg
Tyres after Oulton Park
Always a good day when your moving rubber around.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am

Youtube Video from Oulton Park - watch from 5.15 and you'll see Col Rooney then myself, must have make an impression on Caitlin the instructor as she comments on the fun car.

Scott
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm

David said Caitlin said the clan was the best car she had been in all day , I think that was the old man in the imp

COL
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Col

I went out with Caitlin about 11.30 so it has to be in the afternoon, so it is probably you.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Well I had a great National, thoroughly enjoyed it along with the track day at Oulton Park however not even looked at the Clan since I got back as I've been away more than I've been home but with the Area Centre mid month meeting coming up decided I needed to have a look at it.

The temp control saga that I was dealing with before the track day was not fully resolved at Oulton Park which I put down to the belt slipping, the mounting of the alternator did not allow the belt to be fully tensioned and I simply did not have time to sort it before due to the time spent hunting down the issue with the baffle in the radiator.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and made up a pair of brackets from 10mm aluminium - takes a bit of cutting :shock: which moves the alternator pivot mount up and away from the water pump and allows a decent arc to tension the belt. However first I needed to look at the waterpump, it's a 930 item and I had wanted to change it as the one on it has a pressed impeller rather than a cast one and looked to be of a poor design and so less efficient. Bother, the replacement pump although of the correct design was taller, rather than messing about with spacers I fitted one of the two complete 930 assemblies that I bought at this years National, all lined up nicely. Added a couple of spacers made from the old alternator mounting brackets between the block and the front bracket which got the alternator pulley aligned with the other two :D. Raided the bucket of bits and found a standard Imp alternator tensioner to finish mounting the alternator. A little reworking of some wires required and job complete.

Couple of small jobs to do while I was there, fitted a new window slider that I had picked up from Demon Tweeks on my way to Oulton Park and sorted the issue with none functioning oil pressure warning light - wire had fallen off, then off for a test run. I had forgotten how well it gets down the road but the important thing was the temp was nice and steady at 80 degrees.

When I got back I had a look for a track day but nothing until 4th Nov :cry: just have to wait although have a couple of runs before then.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Today finished off the outstanding repairs, rewired the intercom with new jack plugs and fixed the central locking which was simple enough requiring just lubrication of the lock.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Busy weekend ahead, I have a track day tomorrow at Knockhill and Sunday is a Production Car Trial at Forrestburn.

Today converted it from road spec to trackday, started with the Toyo Proxes, shaved off the rubber that had built up across the tyre at Oulton Park - see above. Don't know if the build up of rubber was the reason I went off at the first corner at Knockhill previously despite taking it easy. Very high tech - cut it off with a sharp chisel.
IMG_20190310_175344.jpg
Swapped the spark plugs to the Iridium ones I keep for track days and checked fluids, I changed the gear oil - again - as changing between 3/4 became stiff at Oulton. I did notice the gear oil I was using was a mineral oil and usually use a fully synthetic so have ordered some and will change it over before next event.

Cleaned and adjusted the brakes, washed it, and loaded on the trailer.
IMG_20191003_151156.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Play time cut short by the gearbox, after 20 miles the change from 3-4 and back started to stiffen again, did another 6 miles then came in to check car over

Gear change was free as I set off again but only got another 6 miles before it became impossible to get it out of 3rd. Eventually got it into 2nd and headed for the pits, could get 1st 2nd and reverse but wouldn't select 3rd or 4th, so time to head home -an expensive 45mins :cry: Once back home 3rd and 4th are back :? probably as it's cooled down.

However, on the plus side is the temp behaved itself, so happy with the new water pump and alternator brackets.

Tomorrow I'll pull the gearbox out and fit a replacement, think I'll fit a standard box as still can't bear the CR noise.

Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm

That is disappointing to hear that the gearbox isn't working for you Scott after sorting out the temperature gremlins.

Good job you have a host of spares to keep the Clan going and have it back to a semi quiet drive now no doubt to. :wink:

Hope the issue won't be to expensive to put right either.

Cheers
Col.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Gopro footage from today

Part 1

Part 2

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Despite saying I'd never attempt to change the box on the Clan again while leaving the engine in place, well you can guess, I decided to give it another go :o
as taking the engine is a lot of additional work.

This time I jacked it right up, about 3 ft from the ground to give plenty of room to work underneath. This time a lot of the work needed to allow the box to be removed had already been done. The main modification is to the crossmember behind the hole that gives access to the pinch bolt of the gear linkage, this has been cut out to allow the box to drop down once the mountings have been removed rather than drawing the box backwards.
With the engine supported by the engine crane, the transaxle is then removed, this time it went really well and was out in a couple of hours.

Decided to use the rebuild box that has been lying about for a good number of year as didn't want it seizing up due to lack of use - it had been stored dry with no oil. Swapped the release bearing arm etc over and refitted it, while the box is not that heavy lying on your back lifting it into place it seems a lot heavier, it went on ok. The only issue was the arm caught on the bodywork and trying to move it out of the way while holding the box was awkward, re connected the driveshafts etc before trying the box while still in the air. :roll: Can't get reverse, however wee play with gear linkage location sorts that and the good thing is that it can be done from inside the car :D

Changed the suspension settings and wheels to suit the PCT tomorrow,reconnected the bits and pieces that had been taken off the engine and loaded back onto the trailer. Got all gears as drove round the shed :D.

Looking very wet for tomorrow :o

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 pm

External view of my little indiscretion, my excuse cold tyres - only 2nd lap after a stop - plus turning in too late.
Turning in before the marker cone suited the Clan better but took a few laps before I figured that one out :roll: :lol:

Scott