VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Post by bks974c »

Got a number of small jobs finished, new wiper arms and blades to increase the swept area. Bonnet stay retainer made. New indicator lenses. New number plate front.
IMG_20180304_131452.jpg
IMG_20180304_134713.jpg
IMG_20180304_145557.jpg
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

This modify stuff is hugely time consuming but finally feel I'm getting somewhere.
IMG_20180318_140430.jpg
Despite the Clan nor being the quietest car on the block the knock from the rear shocks was annoying, thinking it was the top mounts I removed them but all seemed well with the bushes etc however the bottom bolt was a loose fit. As I was also going to be using it for attaching a check strap it called for some modifying, I drilled out and then reamed the lower bush to take a driveshaft bolt with minimal clearance.
IMG_20180318_184804.jpg
Transaxle mounts from Mike Dent needed fitted but I was reluctant to remove the newly installed engine and box so a little creativity required, cut the crossmember which allowed the transaxle to be lowered and the top fitting to be tapped and the mountings installed.
IMG_20180318_142404.jpg
IMG_20180318_184509.jpg
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

John

Saved them as I told Colin he might be able to get something back from the mega bucks he is spending on the car so you need to speak to him.

Hope everything sorts itself out, I had noticed your progress reports were quiet lately, Take care of you and yours.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Should have been getting on with Colin's Imp but as this Sunday is the next PCT at Forrestburn and uncertain about a double entry committed to getting the Clan ready so after sending the special driveshafts off to be welded I refitted the regular ones, fitted the exhaust which required a little more than subtle modifying - tyre levering the heat shield off the bodywork with a tyre lever, filled the gearbox, reattached the gearchange coupling, found some wheels and tyres that meet the regs which required different spacers to clear the bodywork, played about with the breather system and noted more bits I need to finish.

Then when I ran out of excuses got round to firing up the engine, took the battery out of the Octavia to use as a jump battery, took the plugs out and turned it over until the oil pressure came up. Put the plugs back in its Dejavu time no green light on the ECU - no signal from the crankshaft sensor, when I pulled of the plug the wires came out of the multiplug at least the terminals are still attached to the wires. Reinserted after bending the retaining tabs and all good :D

Seems a bit reluctant to fire but its been a while, its been upside down when the sump was off but when it does it seems a bit flat and reekie but maybe just burning off a bit of oil. Bring it up to temp but no change and when I take the plugs out back soot, which brings all the issues rushing back when the car was put together - throttle position sensor calibration, cleaned up the plus and take the laptop and reset the TPS and hopefully that will sort it :roll:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been a few days since I updated, resetting the TPS sorted all the issues so ran it up to temp and as the thermostat opened and the coolant circulates through the radiator the recently modified pipes under the dash starts dripping. Bother :evil: drained the system down and tried resoldering the join and then up to temp again, Bigger Bother still dripping. Make three attempt before unsoldering and redoing the joint, what's amazing is a found a joint I had missed and this was not leaking :roll: :roll:

Once checked it was time to get it back on the deck and finally got to see the ride height and sump clearance. :D :D :D :D :D 6 inches at the lowest point - job done, when I get the adjustable spring platform rear wishbones sorted I can go from 2.5 - 6 inch sump clearance which opens up the type of events I can do from Production Car Trials to track days.
IMG_20180320_184611.jpg
IMG_20180320_184621.jpg
Been running around in it for the last few days and so happy I don't have to listen to the gearbox whining still not quiet but no longer painful.

The rear shock mod has worked as no more knocking, although there was now some from the front which turned out to be a couple of loose bolts :shock:

Came across a couple of issues that I had noted previously but had forgotten about, the LED warning lights are great but too bright at night so painted over them which allows them to be seen without dazzling you.

The gearlever/linkage in the green Clan was great it fell nicely to hand but when it was transferred to VAK I had to lengthen it as the hole for the lever was further forward which makes it a bit of a stretch for me when harness done up tight, it also a little awkward to use on the road as no free movement. Great for the track but no so nice for the road, so have started to rebuild a standard lever with the UJ'd coupling. Grabbed a new ball for the pivot and shaft from my spares and will hopefully get it done and fitted tomorrow.

Getting there.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Today should have been straight forward but it was not to be, the new ball for the gearlever seemed to be oversized from the get go. When the top was bolted down it was effectively jammed so had to start filing it, eventually got it to the point it had a nice feel to it but had lost several hours.

Next onto shortening the shaft which thankfully was without issue, gear change is now better for the road with the added bonus of transmitting less noise.
IMG_20180323_184508.jpg
Finished off the breather system - my thoughts being at high revs there is a lot of moving "air" in the engine and the little pipe on the filler neck is too small so builds up pressure in the crankcase - oil forced from dipstick - increasing the one on the neck to 19mm and adding another to the cam cover will allow a more air to escape and lower the pressure but don't want all the oil in the air to be lost so from the first catch tank it goes to a BMW oil separator with spins the mix and the oil gets thrown out and drains off and the gases vented to atmosphere. If it works there is the option of draining it back to the sump but will wait to see if it works first.
IMG_20180323_174350.jpg
IMG_20180323_174401.jpg
So far no more spillage from the dipstick although still looking for the best place to vent so it doesn't get drawn back in,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crankcase-Br ... 2749.l2648

Interior Mirror still need positioned correctly and then its ready for Imp Ecosse.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Different Mirror back in the original position at the foot of the screen but being better quality doesn't wobble . :D

Up early today and off to Toolstation to pick up a grease gun as couldn't find mine, can't believe you can buy an SIP air operated one for under £15, and got the kingpins greased before Dave Charles arrived and we headed to Forrestburn for the Production Car Trial.
IMG_20180325_110504.jpg
IMG_20180325_110550 (2).jpg
Weather was great with the sun shining all day meaning the ground was fairly dry and firm. The Clan fair sailed up them recording all Zero's for the morning session beating the Imps/Clans nemesis, a Morgan V8 with LSD. In the afternoon Hill 2 was changed to make it more difficult and they certainly achieved that and I scored a 6 and a 7 but continued clearing the rest and came away with a win, that makes 3 wins from 3 events since the car was completed. Makes all the work worthwhile.

The long first - works close ratio gearset - is noticeable but offset by the added tractability of the full engine management which means it still crawls up the hills without stalling which it would have had it been on normal ignition. Its a very tractable engine despite the R21 but its like a switch as it hits 3000rpm and lights up the tyres.
Maybe need to look at setting the idle speed higher for the next one (September).
IMG_20180325_131927.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Ah, in there lies a tale.

Last month the Morgan was first, me second, Dave third.

This is only Dave's second PCT and on his own this time, last month when we double drove in his Imp one of the first things I told him about was at future events don't follow the tracks left from previous routes. First test for us, Hill 4, he follows the wrong route towards Gate 5 and by the time he realises he can't get back across for it and so has to stop reverse and then clears the rest but obviously give him a 6 because he stopped. Pretty angry at himself.

Hills 1 + 2 were dispatched reasonable well but on Hill 3 he follows last months route and totally misses out Gate 10 , at the finishes he asks was it a one, only to be told no it was a ten. He came off the hill fuming with himself, due to this he also didn't see the funny side when one of the marshals told him it was a 6 when in reality he scored a 1 thinking he had done something wrong again.

After lunch he settled down scoring zero's and ones apart from the tricky Hill 2. He had enjoyed himself and that the main thing, waiting on the results to see how we all did overall.

Scott
krm57
Car Model: Imp de-luxe

Post by krm57 »

Well done Scott, sounds like you had a great day out in the clan which is progressing very well. I know just how Dave feels as I've done exactly the same following the old route in error. Never mind it's all a learning curve. Hope I can rejoin the fun in September.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

More fettling today, the Clan only has a 3 gallon fuel tank and its not a simple task to change it because the injection pump lives inside so more to reduce the worry about running out of fuel I wanted to carry a spare fuel can. The regular rectangular ones won't fit the only space in the front compartment due the the shape of the bonnet duct for the radiator, I found a 5ltr fuel can that fits but had the remains of whatever concoction was in the Mustang's petrol tank and boy does it stink. Emptied the contents into the used oil drum and cleaned it out thoroughly and made up some mountings to hold it in place with a ratchet strap.
IMG_20180401_124953.jpg
IMG_20180401_124943.jpg
Next up was wiring in the latest purchase - a rally intercom set. The Clan is now reasonably civilised but long high speed runs (above 50mph) will be tiring and with Imp Ecosse and Going Dutch coming up fast something that needed addressing.

As with most Imp engines the rear scroll drips a little oil, that I can live with that although Andy Jones is rebuilding a number of engines for me and they will all have proper seals. What I'm not happy about is the way its spun out by the flywheel and then spread under the engine in the draft when the car is driving, therefore made up a wee plate that will stop it being flung out into the airstream.
IMG_20180401_180437 (2).jpg
Finally cleaned up the muck from the last Production Trial and refitted the Toyo Proxy's ready for next Sunday's trackday at Forresturn.

P.s. the place still stinks with the old fuel :evil:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Cheers Paul.

Sunday saw the Season Warm Up at Forrestburn Hillclimb, looked like it was going to be a nice day when we arrived as the sun was shining but clouded over and had a few light showers through the afternoon.

Clan ran well and the new gearbox with its long first a real improvement through the hairpins, standard first was too low now its a useful gear and with this engine no issues pulling away on the road :D

Some video

20180408_134959 (2).jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
Yesterday got another batch of IMProvements done.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Wee while since I posted an update, currently waiting on TNT delivering my ECU back to me, had the Clan over in Holland for Going Dutch and had a great time. In addition to the organised runs we went to Gallery Aaldering, Louwman Car Museum and ER Classic Cars, the first and last of these places are car show rooms but nothing like I've come across in the UK having 250 -300 cars on display better than many car museums here and if you have the money you can take them home. The Louwman Museum was exceptional and recommend visiting if you get the chance, our time was slightly shortened because on the way there Alan Farquharson's Imp water pump pulley became loose and started wobbling and noisy, missing woodruf key and worn - fixed it with insulating tape on the spindle and send him back to the campsite where they fixed it properly. All in we did about 1000 miles and VAK never missed a beat whether pootering about at 20mph in the villages or at 80mph on the motorways in 30 degrees heat.

However, when we arrived back in Newcastle that all changed as it wouldn't start on the ferry :cry: the situation was not helped by the fact that the car was parked by a huge vent which as I went to start the car was switched on which meant the Clan was just about blown away and could not hear anything such as the fuel pump priming etc so we got pushed off :oops:

After a bit of poking about and not finding anything upon retrying it fired straight up, just then a female port official :roll: comes up and tells us we have to move - like we really want to be there. The upside is they want us off the site before we breakdown again so get sent to the front of the passport control. :P The 120 mile run home was without issue apart from the fanbelt shredding itself but as I had a spare a quick fix, my fanbelt tensioner idler is now in the bin, whether it was the idler itself or the fact the the bracket had broken I'm not sure but have found a belt that is nominally the same size but is a tighter fit that means I can achieve the tension I want without the idler. :D

It was obvious that with two of us going to Holland in the Clan with a roll cage and the spare wheel behind the seats luggage was going to be an issue so decided to build a boot rack, initially was going to make it from square tube and Colin suggested round, I went for oval.
IMG_20180517_185411.jpg
IMG_20180517_185443.jpg
IMG_20180517_185458.jpg
IMG_20180517_185417.jpg
Excellent addition its also very handy going shopping
IMG_20180524_175214.jpg
Still playing around with wheels and tyres for the front to get clearance and now shed starting to look like a tyre warehouse.

Scott
ylee coyote
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by ylee coyote »

Nice Rack.....
M-Power Clan Crusader
Saab Turbo X
Saab Turbo T16s
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

:shock: That’ll mess with the weight distribution then!

Even more than ever don’t lift off mid corner...

... or you’ll be wearing the booze rather than drinking it! :lol:

This is one of the reasons I persisted with the rear rad for the 1040 in the Clan... I need boot space from time to time. Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Got the ECU back and VAK running again, when I got home from the ferry the clan started cutting out but turning the ignition off and on would sort it, well at least for a little while. Gets to the point where it turns over but refuses to fire and ECU shows signs of the processor not booting up so sent it back to Emerald who diagnosed a conflict due to interference and it had shut down.

I took the opportunity to have the unit upgraded to K3 which gives a lot more functionality particularly running 3 seperate maps and self learning via the lambda sensor. While it was away I decided to run new supply and earths, and a new TDC cable routing it well away from the plugs/HT leads and coil, fitted resistor plugs aswell as prep for the Lambda sensor.

Will have to see if this sorts the original problem, will use it for a couple of day before an Autotest at Errol on Sunday
see http://www.scottishroadcarseries.co.uk

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I had interference /earth issues with the Canems ignition ECU on the Clan too. I rationalised the earths - making sure there was a direct 'ECU only' earth lead back to the battery for the ECU with no possibility of an 'earth loop'. Ie the ECU earth is NOT via the engine earth - or any other engine bay earth.

I still get radio interference generated by the original heater blower - the old school motor runs very 'dirty'. It interferes with a remote control switching unit I use for the fog lights (I know, don't ask) and it blocks the garage door remote when the heater is on. If I need to operate either remote then the heater blower needs to be switched off. I might delete the original heater blower and fit a modern 'inline' heater blower to the heater air inlet trunking at some point.

Anther source of trouble is the 'back emf' genereated by relays - make sure all relays have a diode over the switching terminals to prevent reverse emf generation.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

After a couple of false starts the ECU is up and running again, the first issue was wiring the white ground wire sensor for the Lambda sensor to earth but i used one of the ignition spare wires also white and blew the fuse, easily sorted.

I had the car running in the drive but at 2500rpm the engine would miss and the rev drop then pick up again, the faults you would expect from a duff TDC sensor or reversed polarity - so much swapping of sensor and wires to no effect so I reverted to an earlier Map and the problem went away :twisted:

Test drive round the block making sure not too far from home and all seems well, Saturday took it a run to the shed and back again no issues so today took it for a play at Round 4 of the Scottish Road Car Series at Errol Airfield. I was No 1, well Car 1 that is, never had a clean run but good fun never the less, finished 8th overall.

Video from the event courtesy of fellow competitor Alan Patterson

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Latest trip out was Glamis Extravaganza car show last Sunday, great show and company as usual. Last year we hid under the event shelter as it chucked it down and was freezing cold, this year we hid under the event shelter to get some shade from the sun and heat :roll:

Good trade stands and bought some new welding clamps and door seals for the Clan along with another pair of padded boiler suits, last year I sat in them to keep warm.

On the way back got caught up in delays due to the main Dundee bypass being closed and had to watch the temp rise in the heat but max'd out at just over 90 degrees and dropped as soon as we started moving again.

Tonight brought the trailer home, which I had serviced last week and sorted some outstanding issues so it would be ready for the National. Need to take VAK to the shed and fit a new clutch, you can smell it burning when giving it some stick although its not slipping day to day. While I'm at it going to change the fluids and sort the leaking sump and try to sort the front arch clearance issues.

I'm hoping to get it remapped on a rolling road before the National and get a track day or two in while I'm down there.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Delayed start to VAK today, well most days are delayed starts but today more so as Amy calls me to say here exhaust has broken :(

Had her bring the car up, it had broken at the rear silencer flange, manage to get a new one at the same place I was picking up my new spraygun. Very expensive spraygun so no excuses now. Got her exhaust replaced after a fight with the bolts then got on with removing the Clan's engine and box.

It's a real faff with all the mods but once out I stripped the clutch and its just about down to the rivets on the cover side. As I can't see any other problems just wear, going to just replace the driven plate.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Sump "repaired" again - hopefully leak sorted this time.

Clutch plate replaced and engine and box back in place, depending on the time the gas engineer arrives tomorrow will determine if its Wednesday or Thursday that sees all the bits and bobs attached.

Next event is this Sunday's Coulter grass Autotest usually a great day out.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

VAK all back together and some more wheel arch ground away to give clearance for the tyres so decided to take it home to check everything OK.

Had driven 1.4 miles - rally trip on - when the car smelt hot looked at the temp guage and its sitting at 105 degress - :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pulled over and checked the car over, water not circulating so tried reving it to clear any airlocks but no joy.

Locked the car and walked to the supermarket and bought a pack of water and topped it up after letting it cool at bit, this time got some air coming out the header tank, kept topping up as the thermostat opened and closed.

No more problems on the rest of the way home :D :D

The clutch felt nicer as well, the doughnuts are having an easier time with the double UJ'd driveshafts as no stress marks on them from flexing.

Lets see how it gets on at Sunday's Autotest.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Today's Autotest went without any problems apart from lack of driving ability - one day I'll realise sideways is not the quickest until then I'll just have fun 8)

Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Scott,
Its hardly the lack of driving ability going on there :lol:
Looks like your having a ball, who wouldnt be sliding about like that in a Clan given the chance. :wink:

Cool stuff. No so sure about the music mind..

Col.
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

Still great fun and lucky to have such a great venue.

Many years of Autocross taught me that the green stuff is not great for braking :o

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

I've been swithering about booking VAK in for a rolling road session and entering a track day when I'm down for the National.

Its been a regular part of my National to do a track day or two when I'm away so finally bit the bullet and organised both, part of the reason for the hesitation was having finished my current restoration job I had nothing lined up which would have meant no money coming in, however that's now been sorted.

So now need to get VAK ready, lowered the front which needed more work to ensure clearance for the front wheels.
IMG_20180730_113928.jpg
Then fitted a check strap to stop the spring becoming mis seated on droop.
IMG_20180730_122225.jpg
Engine cover stay broke the fibreglass, so made up and fitted a repair plate, then ran out of things to do as need some tools from home so started on the strip down of the new project.
IMG_20180730_181627.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Thanks Colin, it is indeed.

This Marina has only done 1767 miles since it was built, it was the last shell from the factory (not last complete car) and built for competition. still has its race engine and gearbox.

It had a fancy rear axle set up which didn't work and was being reengineered but then left outside for 30 years which haven't been kind to it.

As we have an issue regarding lack of content currently on the forum I'm considering running a Readers Car thread on it, if no one objects. Perhaps that's in part an answer to activity on the forum opening it up rather than than just Imp related.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Scott

The VAK pic of the front wheel arch clearance...does it have (75Kg of ?) ballast in the driver seat? It would be interesting (for me at least) to see your front and rear ride/corner height changes with it laden/unladen.

Both the front O/S and rear O/S on mine drop together with me in it.

I've been trying to set mine up level when laden (concrete bags in driver seat) but when just the O/s front spring platform is raised (say an inch), the Clan monocoque is so stiff that I'm finding it's the whole N/S that rises too with the rear O/S not changing much at all - weird!

I guess you have an advantage with the rear platform adjustment - you can raise the front and rear o/s together to get a level laden stance?

How do you set yours up?

Clan004
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Scott

The VAK pic of the front wheel arch clearance...does it have (75Kg of ?) ballast in the driver seat?

Clan004
75kg? I wish!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Lowered the rear today by taking out the wooden spacer and replacing with a thinner steel one made from cutting out the centre from some brake discs rescued from the scrap pile
IMG_20180731_113519.jpg
IMG_20180731_113526.jpg
IMG_20180731_121645.jpg
Turns out I didn't need the spacer as loads of clearance for the sump :o

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Ah I see!

No one in my family will ride in the Clan so I was trying to set it up for just me ...might as well take the passenger seat out to save weight (passenger MX5 recliner is heavy!) :(

National attendance will be a very last minute decision - only just getting the Clan on the road after a lay-off - much tweaking to do.

It's about seven years since I've been to a National (Anglesey Track night 2011 ?)- about time I pulled my finger out. :)

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Spent the day getting packed for the National.
IMG_20180801_134528.jpg
Tracking checked
IMG_20180801_192207.jpg
Loaded up apart from the things I've forgotten ready for the off tomorrow.

Snetterton might be on the cards again as track day now listed for Monday evening, depending how Saturday goes might get it booked.

Weather forecast looks excellent for the weekend, better pack the suncream.

Scott
bks974c

National 2018 PRESTWOLD PARK

Post by bks974c »

Woke on Thursday to rain and rather cold. Set off just after 7.00am - 10 minutes later I realised I had left my phone :evil:
I can live without my phone but my bank cards are in the case so would have been both a cheap and dull event, cheap I can live with but dull - never.

2nd departure 7.30 am as the rain starts to fall even heavier, miserable all the to Carlisle when it gets even heavier. , weather forecast got it right. Just before Penrith it starts to brighten and temps start to rise. Over the A66 to Scotch Corner and head south on the A1M,
by the time passing Leeds its getting warm enough to take off my jumper :).

Traffic had been light and free flowing until about 16 miles from the venue (8 miles from exiting the M1) when it ground to a halt.
As I was sitting beside a slip road I reprogrammed the Sat Nav to avoid Motorways and it comes up with a shorter route which was a few minutes longer :D :D :D . Arrived shortly about 1.30pm to 30 degree heat, registered then set up my tent, then went for a wander checking out the facilities and the stalls and saying hi to old friends.

I had booked a table for 8 of us just down the road (1/2 mile) at the Packe Arms for 6.30pm, we picked up a stray so had 9 for the meal and very nice it was too and very reasonably priced so we booked tables for the rest of the weekend.

Headed back up to the marquee where we enjoyed a few beers catching up with friends. It was very nice to be able to sit out until after dark in pleasant temperatures.

to be continued.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Friday up early, far earlier than I wanted think it was the dawn chorus, next year think I'll take ear plugs :)

Up side is you get showered without queuing although it suprising how many are also up and about. Had my porridge and coffee sitting outside enjoying the lovely early morning.

After a mooch about and some catching up with friends you only see at the National, set off for Norfolk some 104 miles away - 21/2 hours according to the SatNav for a Rolling Road session with the Clan.
I was booked in for 3.30pm but left early hoping to get there about 1.30pm incase they were able to do it earlier alternatively I would just go and have a leisurely lunch.

Journey was progessing nicely until Kings Lynn when it ground to a standstill at a roundabout where it went from dual carriageway to single, total gridlock. After about 30 mins I made it the couple of hundred yards on to the roundabout and looked for an alternative route, that and the temp in the mid 30's wasn't doing my blood pressure any good. Eventually got back on the route and arrived at 3.00pm and unloaded the Clan, they had just finished off a drift car - BMW with Toyota turbo with 500bhp. talk about little and large.

Got the Clan on the rollers and left them to get on with it, while I tried to find some shade.
They found two issues with the set up, the throtle position sensor was wired incorrectly - positive and negative connections transposed, this will have been like this since it was converted to fuel injection in about 2008. It does explain the TPS readings I saw when playing with the system. The second the ignition was 7 degrees over advanced, I knew the trigger wheel had a discrepancy of 3 degrees but it was only while they were remapping it I realise it was my error I had set the calibrated TDC trigger point to 93 deg when i should have set it to 87 doubling the error rather than cancelling it out. :oops:

They finished it around 5.45pm so took it round the block but even driving out of the workshop you could feel the difference, slightly surprised and diappointed that it only had 82 bhp but it was set up for drivability rather than max bhp, no time for a proper run so loaded back on the trailer and set off back to Prestwold Park. This time the journey took the 21/2 hours as per SatNav which is pretty impressive if I say so myself towing a trailer and the type of road.

Parked up, grabbed a burger and chips on site along with a beer before joint some of the others for the evening entertainment.
Didn't stop up too late as up early the next morning for the track day.

Scott
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

82 BHP at wheels ? that would be approx 96 bhp flywheel (i seem to remember 17% transmission loss, do not know if this is to the wheels or just the box) brake shoes slightly dragging, tyre pressures, air temp and pressure so you could have 100bhp flywheel, to get more you do need a pretty special engine. If it is now driveable and pulls strong from as low down the rev range as possible it will be faster than before.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Mike

That 82 was at the flywheel, 64 at the wheels so 18bhp transmission losses. The engine was already superbly tractable just the occassional hint of pinking - 7 degrees of advance might have contributed to that, the original spec the engine management was set up for was 950cc R17 and now was 998 R21 so wanted it optimised for the current spec.

More news to come on the engine.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

I did a leakdown test when I got home as it was getting a bit breathey but not burning any oil, the losses were fairly high so removed the engine and took of the head to reveal damage to no.4 piston and a bit of the top compression ring had been having a dance and was now resting in the piston. Top two compression ring broken up because of the dancing.

So we know where the missing horses went, what amazes me is it still had 82 bhp and reved to 8000 easily, wasn't smoky, liners unmarked, good oil pressure. So with a rebore and new pistons will live on.

Scott
moose

Post by moose »

Oh Dear, rings broken due to detonation? number 4 worst cooled cyl maybe. Surprised RR did not leak it down before having it on rollers and risking it going bang i thought that was custom and practice to save the dreaded conversation with the customer. Hope you get it fixed easly.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Don't know, there is no other evidence of detonation.

The car went well enough before and after the rolling road as well as during the track day, the lack of bhp along with excess crankcase gasses was why I did the leakdown test. It was moderate across all the pistons.

Fortunate timing, Andy Jones had finished two of my engines a standard 930 and a 1020 which I collected at the National. The 1020 short block is now fully assembled just waiting on Wills Rings outer gaskets to put the head on.
IMG_20180812_154949.jpg
Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Scott

Do you think it was a ring quality issue? Did you gap them on the small side when fitted etc. ?

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

No idea, because of the damage it's hard to separate cause from effect.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Just lost the post about the track day and too much work to redo it so here's the video from the last session

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Scott, what make were the pistons you were using. I ask as I have just suffered what appears to be the same problem. In my case I had tested my orange Clan at Blyton Park and whilst it appeared run OK there was pressurisation of the cooling system resulting in water being dumped. The interesting thing was that the cooling system remained pressurised for at least a day after the car had been unloaded and left.

Anyway being unable to find any reason for this I entered the Classic & Modern Motorsport Festival at Mallory Park. During practice the car felt fine until I got a temperature warning so returned to the paddock and found a lack of coolant. Although I had practiced 6th fastest the time was slower than I would have expected After letting the engine cool down water was added and the system bled and a catch bottle fitted to collect any expelled water. This was all done without running the engine as I have an electric water pump. When started the engine was only running on three cylinders with a tapping noise like a failed big end although the oil pressure was normal.. Game over watch the rest of the races on load onto the trailer.

Later in the week the head was removed from the engine instu. A section of No 3 piston was found to be broken between the the top and the top ring with the resultant piece being partially hammered into the combustion chamber - the source of the ticking noise? More surprising was a similar piece was missing from No 2 but in this instance there was no sign of it although there was slight marking of the combustion chamber. My theory is that despite No 2 piston being damaged the engine had been running on four albeit down on power.

Following the above discoveries the engine was removed and completely stripped when it was found that No 4 piston had suffered cracking in a similar position.

My pistons were Hepolite copies from F J Engineering.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

IMG_20180614_133623.jpg
[img]
IMG_20180614_133623.jpg
[/img]

Pictures showing damage.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pete I'm running *exactly* same pistons from FJ Engineering (1040).

Recently looked into bores with a scope but not paid attention to the periphery where yours have gone.

I was investigating the cause of very small pools of oil and excess yellow staining on top of the pistons. I suspected it's my valve guides because I could see yellow oil stains (not black burnt) around the valve backs/seat edge. But after seeing your pictures I'm wondering about a ring issue.

I fitted mine with Deves rings and wasn't confident at the time that I had got the pesky 3 part oil ring properly assembled - or that I sufficiently honed the bores for the ring set to bed in properly.

It runs OK otherwise. I'll do a compression test this week sometime.

Clan004
moose

Post by moose »

For the yellow rally clan that i prepared as a special test/ road rally car i had protech supply me some dampers that we tried and modified the settings with their help we used 120lb springs 10 inch long if you would like me to supply you with these items get in touch.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

For years, I was using 100 lbin 10 inch fronts on short protechs. These fronts were OK when I still had the Std Clan 260 (280?) lbin 12 inch rears but not a good match when I swapped to the stiffer, shorter, TR 390 lbin rears.

With 100 lbin fronts / 390 Ibin rears, the Clan would pitch to the front and bottom out at the front too easily 2 up (full tank etc) - and because I'd increased downforce (dramtically) by fitting a flat floor front to back along with a full front spoiler, the front would compress on to the bumpstops @ 100 mph -which threw the car from bump to bump (small bumps on track) - and that was with just me onboard (84kg), NO front rad, NO spare wheel. If I increased the front protech stiffness to resist downforce compression it would understeer too much -esp in the wet. Also 10 inch is a tad too long for 100 lbin fronts IF wou want a low-ride road set-up because you easily bottom-out the adjustable front damper platform - probably OK if you raise the ride height overall (nearer rally style) - but I never tried that.

For road I'm now using 120 lbin 9 inch fronts on the same short Protechs.

The rears are the 390 lbin 9.5 inch TR2/6 (4in OD TR fronts) with 1 inch spacer in the pan on bespoke short (8 inch body) Protechs.

This set-up is FIRM for the road - but better balanced with the 390 lbin rears.
Main point:I've learned it's important to account for the balance change front to rear if uprating front springs (or rear) only. Clan004
moose

Post by moose »

we were running RAC rear springs again with standard bodied protechs that i had delivered as their standard imp adjustable item and then after testing we sent them back and had the shim packs moved to suit the car. This is what you need to set up properly unless you buy their 2 way adjustable and have those altered from imp settings to clan after using them. If you have the single way you are only really adjusting the rebound although the compression alters to a certain pre-set extent but as you have found you are out of the correct range of increased re-boumd to try to correct compression. There is so much more to it than just throwing on montes and spax/avo/gaz etc Yes just doing this will make a 40 odd year old car with tired suspension handle so much better you will think you have a race car but you will still be way off the best handling you could achieve. As you have found by playing with the spring settings as well (the above was for people reading our comments not ctiticism of what you have done LEC) Back to Scott's clan now ?
rhydian_mason
Car Model: Hillman Imp mk2, Hillman Imp Husky, Clan

Post by rhydian_mason »

So, just to simplify it - for a road going Irish clan that needs new front shockers, and could possibly do with a suspension refresh, could I get away with Monte/Standard/RAC springs front or rear, and would a set of adjustable Imp shocks do the job?

Ideally would like a good road setup for a comfortable (not necessarily competition) ride. Considering getting matching springs and front shocks from GAZ.

Apologies - I know little about setting up suspension. with an Imp it's simple - Montes, Standard, RAC springs with standard, heavy duty, or adjustable shocks in my world!

Thanks again.
"an aversion to corners and a tendency to spin at the slightest provocation"
moose

Post by moose »

The clan does not weigh the same as an imp so spring rate needs to be lower for road use.

For a good road car i would go with protechs imp dampers and the springs that are on the car, see how it handles, when you have an idea of how it goes and have played with the damper clicks to fine tune it to what you are happy with. Then if you decide you have a problem like understeer in the wet and the tyres are good camber correct tracking correct you can then look at altering springs and dampers to remove the understeer. My thoughts are for what you are planning to do and your knowledge of suspension set up you will be happy with the protechs and the springs you have. I have used Spax not what they were back in the 70's, AVO's rods bent on rear dampers, GAZ corroded fast and i could not get a sutable setting and when trying to get them modified thay were not interested. Koni best damper i have ever used but non available and cannot get them re-built any more so i have had the settings copied and put into a protech damper many 2 very happy imp rally drivers so far Geoff taylor will be trying out a set on the woodpecker rally 1st sept. Protech have provided what i want and been very helpful in developing dampers with me. They offer a re-build service. At less than £500 a set excellent value for the money if you look at the build quality and work that is required to build them i would go with you get what you pay for and if the other dampers are cheaper then????
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

IMG_20180813_190051.jpg