68 stiletto Restoration

tiker
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: stiletto restoration

68 stiletto Restoration

Post by tiker »

Hi could someone please look as photos the car came to me already repaired should the bottom of the wing by the door .I mean the cill part be straight are turned out like this one both sides are the same I am thinking they need to be re done this is my 1st imp so have no reference to go by
Thanks gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Re: front wing alignment

Post by The Nun »

Ive just looked at mine which is original factory fit and its straight parallel with the sill, but mine is an early car and they were better made than the Chrysler cars which were sort of anyhow.

That said its intended to be parallel with the sill and if youre doing a restoration its your chance to get it right even if it wasnt originally.
What youve got there isnt way out, most folk probably wouldnt notice anything wrong, but if youre wanting it spot on then its not I suppose.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
tiker

Re: front wing alignment

Post by tiker »

Hi thanks for the imput its a 68 the wings have been put on before anything was repaired underneath so they have to come of .I just want to put it back as best as poss
I'll have to start a thread in readers cars its just getting the time .I know I'll have more help and input if I do
Thanks gary
Gary
tiker

Re: 68 stiletto Restoration

Post by tiker »

First pics I got the car in bare metal so first stage was to wire brush ,hydrate 80 and zinc prime my plan was to protect everything I could and come back to the welding later .The photos start 2012 and I will try to post in order.Please note don't be afraid to coment if you spot anything you think I am doing wrong I would rather know all help will be taken as that I just want to put the old girl back together as you will see there is some very doggy work gone on here hopefully I can put that right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

More photos
Gary
Lars Hagermark
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

I'll follow your thread with great interest. Love to see restorations done with care and "think first". :D
tiker

Post by tiker »

Once on the spit it was down to the lovely task of wire brushing
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

More wire brushing
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi Peter your bang on horrible work and it take's so long having to pick all the bits of underseal and seam sealer .The cars in a lock up and I work shfts so after unloading and clearing up I will get at most 3/4 hours.
It must have taken 6 months to get most of the shell watertight, the lads at work didn't believe I was still cleaning it up .
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Now for the bad bit that had already been done I will have to take these apart to redo the metal behind them.Bare in mind that the car was full braced to do the inner and outer sills so there was access to them, the same for front wings I have seen photos of them off so why leave the inner wing and lower corners of front panel??
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Front wings need a little TLC
Gary
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

/\/\ Dearie me!!
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thought I had better have a look at rear of sill so pulled of the lower wing repair panel
Off
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

No rust protection ? Their brand new sills !! just need zinc and weld through primer now sorted till the next bit
Gary
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

:shock: Yikes! That's crappy workmanship you're having to undo there! :roll: Keep it up. You'll get there. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
tiker

Post by tiker »

Started on rear suspension mounts
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Could not save captive nuts so cut it all back to good metal
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

The edge had gone so had to replace it and put small lip to plug weld to later
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Cut back the cone for access it was good on the left side so only replaced 1/2 of it painted inside zinc and weld through primer
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Welded top section in
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Made bottom section as I'm not good enough to do it in one
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Seam welded in and plug welded corner just to make sure
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

You can see from this photo through the center of the spring mount that I have cut away on the inside.I don't have any photos must have just got carred away its double skined and looked fine on top but not underneath so redid it ,put flanges on and spot welded it to outside
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Welded and redriled captive nuts,a thin layer of waterproof filler and zinc primer it looks better in the photo than it is but I know it's strong and all metal now
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Looking much better, makes it much easier when you can put the car in the right position instead of doing it upside down so to speak.
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

Really nice work, I've found a shrinker/stretcher makes doing repairs so much easier, you can fold a return and pull curves into the repair very easily, also if you do a butt joint and find the fit isn't spot on, you can add a shrink or stretch to the joint face to close the gap up.

I've stalled on my project for a bit, but I did some work like this earlier in the year and it's amazing what these devices allow you to create.

I won't clutter your thread but here's a link
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26982

I also did a couple of hatch aperture repair sections, amazing really, what you can do with such a simple bit if kit.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27721

Keep up the great work and as I'll be stuck in the house on baby duties soon please keep the updates coming as It's great to see projects like this.

Brian
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks Brian from you that makes me feel better about the work I'm doing .I'm already a big fan of your work the the metal bashing is inspiring . you will see later I didn't know what to do with the rear lights ,but I do now thanks to your thread take a look at what I have to fix you don't want to see the other side lol sometimes you just have to smile and get on with it
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Just a passing thought does anyone know how many stilettos are left they seem to be rare now .
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi next bit to tackle was the inside rear screen panel . sorry don't know correct name for it .I must admitt I shyed away from it for a long time
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Good ventilation open to idea's
Gary
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

I could be persuaded to make some rear light pressings in a few months when the weather picks up.
image.jpg
Apologies if you're up to speed on the following, but I've only found most of it through doing bits on the red shell, before you start making repair sections try and understand the panel, the likely pressing method and work out how the steel has stretched in doing so, chances are the rusty bits are in areas where the material was stretched a lot, it is therefore thinner and rusts through easier. What I now do is try and plan the repair so that I form it in the simplest way, but also favour the join lines to areas where the metal is likely to be thicker, also features like folds/swages can be strong and help stop warping, but also over long lengths can show any imperfections , such as the rear quarters when you put an arch in, it can pull the middle swage some way out of line if you do too much in one go.

As a follow on to this beware of long weld runs, try this experiment: get a foot or two of box section, run a weld down the full length on one side, as the weld cools it will shrink more than the parent material and bow it like a banana. So if you can minimise long runs all the better.

On the inner structure around the window I would cut out and remake the box profile, this allows just two or so vertical welds and then spot or plug weld around the aperture and the bottom edge. So avoids welding across the width of the car.

The outer skin is actually best tackled first, but make card templates of the inner before starting then remove it, for access/flexibility. The outer skin I think I'd cut out the whole skin including the gutter from where it has rotted leaving about half an inch of the vertical area above the rot. This is assuming you know someone or have access to a folder about 4ft long.
Now having said the above regarding long welds, you could either joggle the repair and spot weld it then seal it with seam sealer or epoxy? or overlap the repair upto the fold and weld on the fold line, you would need to pre-bend the body up in the centre by 4-5mm (perhaps more) compared to the engine cover in an attempt to match the shape once welded. And weld in short sections with plenty of natural air cooling as you go. I'd consider clamping a piece of box section in the gutter to hold the shape as you go.

Just a few thoughts
Brian
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi Brian
Hope the new arrival is not running you ragged, thanks for the reply but I'm running this thread as a catch up so to speak sorry for any confusion I've already done part of the repair hopefully all will become clear as we progress although I haven't done the rear lights yet.
Gary
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi all I go to the Barnsley and district meets but cant get there as often as I would like due to my shift pattern. This is my 1st imp and I have found the club meets a wealth of help and experience .I would recomend joining its worth every penny.That said back to the rusty bits. I've possable put to much detail but if it helps someone like me as other have done its ok ill keep writing if you get bored just let me know and I'll cut it down, I won't be offended. Everyone who looked at the photos said I would have to take it out to repair it but what you could not see was how bad it really was there are 3 panels spot welded together the top with the Louvre and drip tray for the engine cover which has a joggle right on the seam,the back of the engine bay with a 1/2" lip at the bottom, and sliding in the joggle my rusty panel.
I wanted to repair it as it was originally as this inside panel also wraps round the rear side window pillers and they were also rotten, its a strong section so I was going to try and keep it well as much as I could but there's always a compromise and this came in the side sections that would have to be seam welded and one would have to be a separate piece due to the taper of the side window panels so I cut it out hoping to save it , it just fell apart and no chance of saving the seams just crusty bits
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

When the car came it was just a rolling shell /L4 engine and gearbox so while working on the body I was constantly looking for parts .I would have liked a complete car but I really wanted a Stiletto so at the time I got what was available. On strip down suspension legs front and back had holes .
I'll say now I be been very lucky with parts ,suspension came from a guy near Manchester had loads of parts so got water pump inc fan and all brackets spare L4 head bronze guides new all 8, shockers ,
Gear linkage very good price he said I was the only one who bothered to turn up ,Bonnet from moose's rally car (I have to look after it ) I will. Other bits eBay .In Impressons there was someone breaking a coupé and I bought a lot of parts .I never thought about it until a week or so after and asked if the rear panel was ok and would it be a problem to cut it out , he was happy to help and came in post next week it was better than expected its so weak and twisty but once clamped in place you could feel the strength come back into that section .You may be able to see some numbers on the bottom of rear window aperture as before cuting out I had taken measurements from rear seat to make sure nothing moved. You will also see 2 of the 3 new sections that make up the drip tray.
Gary
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi in between bodywork I've been getting the suspension ready to go back on. The shocks back and front are std units . I've been told that they are fine for road use and they have cleaned up really well chrome is as new and work fine .But can you get new rubber bushes as that's the only thing wrong with them ? I would hate to have to bin them just for the sake of some bushes
Gary
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

New section tacked in place .decided to do inner 1st so I could get a long brush in and protect surrounding seams
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Drip tray trimmed ready to fit .I will do this later when the car is off the spit .I can then make sure the profile across the back matches the engine lid.I should then be able to spot weld through to the inner panel and it will be as much as possible the original construction
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Moving on,I need to get floor corners done so can move car as iam now have the constant pressure of loosing garage .The following photos are of how the old girl came to me
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

More rusty bits
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

I need some cutting discs ,I'll get a bulk pack I think
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

I think my wife gave up on it a long time ago but she's putting up with the growing number of parts round the house . as I reconditioned parts I don't like to keep them down the lock up
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thank you for the encouraging coments they do spur me on
Gary
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Started cutting
Gary
Colin Valentine
Car Model: BS Nymph, Sunbeam Stiletto, Rally Imp

Post by Colin Valentine »

To Gary:
I also go to Barnsley Meetings, and have a 68 Red Stiletto with similar amounts of rust.
So we should swap notes sometime.
I think you are doing a great job.
The VIN No starts 301....
Although you might be better "talking dirty" to Dale who is doing the welding for me.
Colin Valentine
Colin Valentine

I'm gonna lose points at Judging, as my new sills don't have the chrome trim.
I should have kept my mouth shut.
Colin
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi Colin nice to here from you I'm hoping to get to the march meet as shift start to fall on the right days then.Mine is also a 301 but didn't know about the chrome trim and me thinking I had got it all
Gary
Gary
Colin Valentine

Gary, I must have mis-read some of the posts, as I thought that you were the one pointing out the Chrome trims.
That means that there are 2 of us looking for them now.
See you in March,
Colin
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

If you need chrome sill strips for the 301 Stiletto go and check out a TR6 they have them. They have 2 sizes, the early cars are narrow 7/16 wide about right and you can get them new still.
Just needs someone to check the length is enough but they dont look far off.
Worth a check maybe??
Colin Valentine

Thanks, Peter.
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks will look out for the strips .When I cut the the floor out found the bottom of the a post just loose and corroded .Checked the nearside as this is in not bad condition and looks like it should go round another 1/2" to 3/4 and spot weld to floor made new piece a good fit between inner and outer cill flanged edges for strength and fillet welded it to cills spotted it to floor. It won't be moving now clean up and zinc paint as usual
Gary