68 stiletto Restoration

tiker
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Re: 68 stiletto Restoration (SRC 527F )

Post by tiker »

Painted underneath today. I found when doing the epoxy that due to all the seams and flanges you can't get the gun in everywhere so did all the arkward bits by brush including the basecoat and lacquer
Again the colour is a lot brighter than in the photo
Now colour edited about right
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi the rear engine cross member does it have a gasket in or is it a guess the nice slide fit when painted ?
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary
John Simister
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Post by John Simister »

Copaslip or similar is your friend. Put into the threads it makes the bolts easier to undo in the future, smeared over the ends of the crossmember it helps it to slide/spring into the body and inbhibits any rust that might form if/when the paint chips on the way in. Excess is wiped off once the crossmember is bolted in, and only if you're unlucky will any chips be visible.
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Ive found the rear wings can spring inwards or outwards when the rear panel is removed depending I suppose on the stresses created on the panels and shell as its being welded together or if the cars had a nudge maybe at some time in the past. I put some masking tape in the edges to protect the paint as the panel is pushed into place and remove it once the panels in, my wings happen to close up slightly on this one, then once in place squirt waxoyl into the joint and also used stainless setscrews to retain it rather the the normal steel ones, if they seize in, which they hadnt ought to if you assemble with coppaslip say, they are a right job to get out otherwise if rusted as access to the heads is very restricted, another not very good design, if it was designed that is.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
tiker

Post by tiker »

Well what a mess
The old cross member with all the rot that I welded up as part of the spit was a lovely fit but the new one that is perfect is a terribly fit the os which is original is the worst .
Don't know what year the good one is but they must have re tooled at some point .
Will probably have to elongate the bottom holes as it needs to swing back at the bottom edge to bring it in line with the lower corner panel strange the old one spot on but unfortunately beyond repair
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

It's all the fun of owning an imp I suppose
Got to take the good with the bad
It will fit soon :-) big hammer coming out
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Also many replacement panels a car might have had over the years were parts tried on the line that needed work so were rejected at assembly, mainly dented or marked and not quite perfect, so sold as aftermarket, so when you ordered a replacement part what you got could well have been one of those that needed work to fit?
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks for all the sound advice now that I have taken all the high spots off it's not too bad but still needs work on the lower bolt fixings just to allow to swing back slightly and a washer on the end of the chassis leg to pack it out a bit will hopefully get that done today also the engine lid fouling in a few places but couldn't get it locking correctly till I had cut out for the new locking handles good job Chris d. mentioned they are different size never even noticed
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Could you also tell me the type of brake pipe fittings 3/8" or 7/16" ? Thanks, I think fuel pipe is 1/4" ,brake pipe 3/16 "? and type of pipe clip used
On the club parts list it mentions an3,an4, fitting I don't know what that means
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks Peter and John took 1/2 day off work today to try and get some progress got cross member in not great as when I tried to lock the lid it was sloppy so on investigation had to get welder out again the slot I realised should be tapered and the locking clamp had deep groove in it worn from opening the lid.once both were welded it clamped well with no play
IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD FOR THE ENGINE!!:-)
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

The engine lid needed a lot of hammer and dolly work to all the flanges to get in line and not binding on body.
The gaps are ok but the rear one near the window is bigger than the sides but can't move it back further as the rear wing end points already stand proud of the lid may need,I'll have to have a think on that one
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

The gap across the hinge line is wider it has to be otherwise the lid fouls on the edge when it's fully opened up as it goes back beyond vertical on its stay, looks OK as you have it to me.
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks guy's it's a really good feeling when you start putting things back on :-)
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi epoxy primed over some of the welding, then an hour later put first layer of fiberglass filler on ,will be working rear area up to doors first, so it's not too overwhelming. The lighting in the garage is better now the floor is white have also resized photos so resolution will not be as good but it saves space
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi bean striping engine lid there was a lot of paint on but it's nearly done now even though I shot blasted what I could it was still hard going
Will epoxy to seal it first it has a few imperfections some from the factory
I can tell from the paint layers but overall it in very good shape
Gary
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Yes. That looks like a good engine cover. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
tiker

Post by tiker »

Put a bit of heat in the garage today and managed to get some epoxy on
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

I have a large box of bits that came with the car could anyone Tel me where this goes
Thanks
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Now that I have started the bodywork I've realized it now getting too cold to paint, disappointed but a fact so I will seal and finish fit doors ect and start on fitting suspension brake pipe and try and get loom , seats, engine all ready to just fit and wait till spring to finish outer body.any other suggestions are welcome
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Be careful you dont get damp into the undercoats though or its start again from scratch, the moisture will bleed through as micro bubbles up to 2 years later after the finish coat has been applied, its never good to leave a car in undercoat only, unless of course its kept where dampness never occurs, which means heated or dehumidifed?
tiker

Post by tiker »

The only under coat that will remain is the epoxy, come spring I will flat it all back and re Epoxy the outside
It's a pain but as you say it's the only way even then there's no guarantee I've seen some very poor professional jobs, my own astra has a repair and they have rubbed through the basecoat and the lacquer is peeling on the edge of the door
When the high build goes on next year I flat off then seal it in and dehumidify for 24hrs it's the best I can do I'll get a good indication how I've done by the inside hopefully
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi I emailed the manufacturer of the fiberglass filler they sent data sheet and it is waterproof, so that's good news I can leave it are carry on with the bodywork and not worry about mosture getting in
Good to know for everyone
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

As it's getting colder thought I would take a look at the engine and the gearbox managed to get it apart ok box no starts 49 so think it a late one drained the oil which was very clean the engine on the others hand was horrible it's an
L4 don't know type of clutch if it's a good are bad type I would think it's just std
The box is in gear would like to see if it changes gear ok but boot sure how to do it
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Clutch is Morris Minor - do yourself a big favour and beat it to death , burn it with fire or lob it in a bin
Formally known as " Noddy "
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Put some tape around the gearbox selector shaft to protect it and then clamp on some mole grips and then you and twist and push pull the selector to test youve got all gears?
Select a gear then turn the input shaft and the outputs should turn if it's in gear
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Laycock diaphram type like this
Formally known as " Noddy "
tiker

Post by tiker »

Why would anyone put a Morris minor one on ?
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Wow it must have been really heavy he had the master cylinder wrong way round the .7was on the clutch
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Will the clutch release bearing have been changed to suit?
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

That type of clutch is the only one Ive ever had disintegrate on an IMP, fitted to a Stiletto I bought I wondered why the clutch felt odd under foot to my other IMP when the pedal was pressed, like you could feel a pulse back through the pedal, then one day I selected reverse the car jumped and then it wouldnt go back into gear, pulling it apart I found several of the pressure springs had fallen out and mangled everything else up, I never knew at the time they were really for Morris Minors just thought an alternative, and fitting a proper diaphragm plate there was an immediate difference and the lightness had returned.
I dont know how old the Minor clutch was or how many miles it had done, but it did work for a period obviously before saying it had had enough, I wouldnt used that type again because of my own experience with them.
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi cleaning gearbox today is it normal to accumulate all this gunge in the bell housing ?
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

It's often said if it's not oily it's not got any in, where Imps are concerned 8)
tiker

Post by tiker »

The oil was very clean and a lot of it had a look in the inspection cover crown wheel shows some wear but I would think normal no heavy shiny marks are pitting normal engagement pattern so I iam optimistic
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

The thing that ruins the gearbox is low oil level so if it's been kept up to the mark and is clean it's probably OK at least wear wise on the gears,
The gearboxes overheat if the level is allowed to drop as they run extremely hot where they are anyway. I pulled a box apart where the level had dropped an inch and done some motorway miles running like that below the mark and the bearings had turned blue.
tiker

Post by tiker »

I also dropped box on my foot picked it up by the selecter end it was all dirty didn't see the black rubber cover and it slid stight off
Box is ok but foot smarts a bit this morning :-(
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Started striping the engine down took the sump off doesn't look like it's been stripped before ,had a look at the top end. I don't know how the cams wear compared to other cars but the top end looks mint
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi could anyone please post a photo of a mk 1 front seat brackets just the bit that bolts to the floor and attached to the seat as in the photo so you can lift it up to get in the back.
Thanks
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi Peter that the bit I need trust you to come up trump's :-)
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Just got head off nice and easy no stripped thread's bores look good some sediment but not much there is a large deposit of white/ blue like Cristal gunge , could this be the antifreeze remains.
Turns very easy between finger and thumb:-)
Gary
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Yes it will be old antifreeze which is a good sign as it looks like its got not corrosion or erosion much on the block?
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Of course its a lot easier if you have a shopping trolley to sit it in whilst your washing down, the spray goes straight through :wink: must get one.
Do I need a Tesco one or Asda? :lol:
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Surely a Waitrose one would be more befitting our top notch vehicles ? :shock:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli »

I have a set of oversize pistons available if you want to do a rebore, can't remember if they are +20, or +30 from memory. I may also have rings for them.
I also have complete short engines (standard and oversized) and rebuilt waterpumps if you need. See my post in the for sale thread.

Oli
tiker

Post by tiker »

Sized up bores today thought it would have been ok if it had not been stored so long but it would have needed a rebore anyway
From the photos you can see there is .05mm ovality in all the bores
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Will need someone to bore the block I believe there is someone in the Manchester or Stockport area. I think he's called Andy ? If anyone can help with a name and number please pm me thanks I have been to his workshop to pick up a club rear wing but can't find him in traders ? And it was about 4years ago.
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi not been down garage much but things are still moving along thanks to Bob at club spares and malc, got homework instead
Gary
tiker

Re: 68 stiletto Restoration (SRC 527F ) more homework

Post by tiker »

Another job done
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi I've started to put the suspension back on I've realized there is a few bits to go on first under the front steering rack bracket
In the photo the top hole is the fuel pipe I think , is the bottom one for the Speedo and what size do I need for a stiletto, spares list two sizes 52" and one at 57" long
Thanks Gary
Gary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks John lucky the outer cable is a nice tight fit in the housing and in new condition NOS I think also thought I had lost a captive nut on the body ,once the alley bracket cleaned up found one hole was threaded so it doesn't catch the cable !!!
It does help if you take them apart yourself :-)
Gary