A Californian drying out in South Africa

African Imp
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Re: A Californian drying out in South Africa

Post by African Imp »

Ever since I removed the steel heat shield from the space between the twin Strombergs and the silencer to paint it I have had a rattle, not all the time but a rattle none the less.

That shield was The Nuns idea?

It works too!

The 2 k primer I repainted the plate with after stripping to bare metal has had a drip or three of petrol on it but the paint was not affected by the petrol.

I had it in a gloss black finish before but the primer looks better?

Some 3mm shims have repositioned the shield up and away from the silencer and the rattle has gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 pm Check your carpets to see if it's weeping from the front of the master cylinder?
Wear in the rear shoes and not keeping the adjusters up to cater for that will give more pedal travel.
Rear brake slave cylinder not sliding freely on the backplates.
Internal servo seals leaking if you have one, I don't think you do.

If the fluids gone down very slowly over time it's brake lining wear causing it, if it's gone down suddenly, in a day or so there's a leak somewhere.

I now have a separate reservoir for clutch and brake on both my Imps with disc brakes, it quadruples the fluid reserve, I've never felt the standard is really enough, just 2 egg cups full, even with the drums, just 2 pedal pumps of reserve. Not enough.
Thanks,

I have the car in the garage now, so next to jack up the front of the car, remove the wheels and check the disc brakes, then the brake cylinder in the car, its fine under the petrol tank, that was checked yesterday.

I see no sign of fluid inside the wheel rims, often that is a good way to identify a corner with a leak?

With luck its just that the front disc pads have fully bedded in? Imp027
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

RGWM wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:24 pm
African Imp wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 am I went to the local Engen garage and put some fuel in the cars tank, we pay R24.33 per liter, which is Pounds 1.036 per liter.
What does it cost in the UK? Imp027
Super unleaded is typically between £1.55 - £1.65 per litre in the North-West (Lancashire) where I am.
Thanks, that is a large difference! Imp027
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Front discs and brake master cylinder checked at the tank underside and inside the car, no leaks found.

I now think that there was never a leak, its just the new Ferodo FBD589 brake pads bedding in, I was warned about this by CV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Drivers side was a lot cleaner than the passenger side.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Because the passenger side is the gutter side where it gets all the filth and grit thrown at everything that side, one always expects the passenger side to be worse and that's the same for the bodywork too as regards stone chips and rusting.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:44 am Because the passenger side is the gutter side where it gets all the filth and grit thrown at everything that side, one always expects the passenger side to be worse and that's the same for the bodywork too as regards stone chips and rusting.
Yes, understood but when you consider that I have only ever used this car since the restoration and when the roads are dry, I was surprised to see the difference from the one side to the other.
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

If your axle stands are supporting the shell it would be interesting to see how much damper travel you have left when the car is sat on the ground. If the stands are under the wishbones then you are ok.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Whats in a name?

I use Loctite quite often, I see that another brand name uses the same packaging and the contents are also green, could it be that Loctite is selling the same product and under a different brand name?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

moose wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am If your axle stands are supporting the shell it would be interesting to see how much damper travel you have left when the car is sat on the ground. If the stands are under the wishbones then you are ok.

Car was on a hydraulic jack on the one side.

I have fitted Monte Carlo road springs front and rear but with a 12mm shim to raise the car by that amount as I wanted the car a little higher than the Montes give.

Front shocks we made here specially for me, they are basically 15mm shorter than standard to keep the shorter Montes tight in the assembly.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

African Imp wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am Whats in a name?

I use Loctite quite often, I see that another brand name uses the same packaging and the contents are also green, could it be that Loctite is selling the same product and under a different brand name?
No someone else is trying to make you think their brand is Loctite, just like the supermarkets sell their own brand foodstuffs etc in packs and bottles with similar coloured labels to the top selling brands but a few pence cheaper, folk pick it up thinking they're buying the real thing through not looking at the label properly, its crafty selling, a bit sly, it's usually cheaper because it's not so good, uses cheaper ingredients, always check and buy the genuine product if you want it to work as you are hoping it does.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033