Zackly

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
African Imp
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Re: A Californian drying out in South Africa

Post by African Imp » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:34 pm

I have changed the original Lucas distributor cap for an almost new condition copy one, the reading on that from the center carbon to the coil supply wire reads zero, the Lucas cap reads 13.6 on the digital Ohm meter.

With either distributor cap the cars performance is nothing short of brilliant, I have a restricted 5000 rpm rev limit right now, the engine spins to that speed very quickly and I assume it will continue to the 6100 rpm max power of the sport camshaft quite easily.

I have some 66 road miles to the new pistons run in period of 500 miles to go, then I can find out after an oil and filter change then what the new engines performance really is?

The hotter number BPR5EY NGK spark plug looks clean, it may be running a bit hot now?

I have since refitted the normal number BP6E S NGK spark plug and will test that tomorrow, if its good I have a fault with the Lucas distributor cap?
Attachments
Hot plug on Thursday.JPG
Last edited by African Imp on Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 am

The recent fitting of the nearside drive shaft bearings also included the UJ bearings, try as I might and I did try for some while with a Thor one pound copper faced hammer, I could not remove a single bearing cup.

The cast iron sockets were not damaged as far as I could see but somehow they were tighter at the circlip end, I had to use a disc cutter to remove the bearing spider, then drive the cup inwards to remove it.

I needed the shaft spline end, so I used a spare cup, oiled it and with a vice pressed it into the socket a number of times to reshape or open it to the required diameter.

I used a spare shaft to suit the assembly so that I did not have to open the cup ports on that side.

Something new to me this one.
Attachments
IMG_5351.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG (51.03 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
IMG_5408.JPG
Last edited by African Imp on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:04 am

The move back to an NGK BP6ES spark plug was not a success , see the picture below, this was with the newer ( no name ) distributor cap.

I am again back to the Lucas cap and the hotter NGK number BPR 5EY spark plug.

Starting and idle has improved.
Attachments
Friday NGK 6.JPG
Friday NGK 6.JPG (56.33 KiB) Viewed 996 times
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 am

I don't think the idea was to run it in to 500 miles then at 501 miles floor it, don't forget to retorque the head at 500 too first, it might not be loose but needs tightening, but anyway you need to give it 1001 miles for the rings to bed in properly and then see about all the settings etc as the engine frees up.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:17 am

Saturday morning and a drive out of the valley and to Ropeworld in Tokai saw me on the first stretch of highway with a speed limit of 100 kms, the car was up to that and I actually overtook some cars !

The run added some 51kms to the run in total which is now just short of the 800 kilometers and by 6.7kms, I think we can call that ok and time to service the engine.

One thing I did notice is that the front wheels require balancing, the car tracks perfectly and I could relax while the miles were being eaten up :D

The odometer has also passed the 25,000 kms mark and now indicates 25,014
Attachments
IMG_0892.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:43 am

On return home and with the car parked I placed a clean sheet of newspaper under the drip area being the crank scroll.

A half hour later and an inspection shows not a single drop of oil, nothing at all.

The higher speeds on the freeway suited the piston rings?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:45 am

The Nun wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 am
I don't think the idea was to run it in to 500 miles then at 501 miles floor it, don't forget to retorque the head at 500 too first, it might not be loose but needs tightening, but anyway you need to give it 1001 miles for the rings to bed in properly and then see about all the settings etc as the engine frees up.
Yes, thanks on the reminder, I have already torqued down the head when the miles was about 200 run? I can now re do it and change the oil and filter etc.. :)
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:03 am

The longer drive and with some higher speeds yesterday should have seen the engines spark plugs looking very clean?

I was dismayed when I removed plug number three and found it covered with soot.

That is the hotter NGK number 5 plug, so what was going on?

Number three cylinder on the engine that I removed was always burning darker than the other three cylinders ( noddy has the same issue ) in this case I either had a dead plug or it was ignition?

I inspected the insides of the distributor and found that the base plate was more or less floating when compared to how it should be.

Inspection showed a lot of wear on what I will call the slide pin slot, it was so worn that the upper plate was lifting away from the lower plate.

The left hand plate with a screw driver as a pointer shows the area of wear.
Attachments
IMG_5494.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:07 am

I have to assume that this wear was allowing the top plate and with the points on it to open and close eratically?

In this image the screw driver just happens to be there, it was not pointing to anything of interest.

The top plate on the left hand side has opened upwards from its base plate.
Attachments
IMG_5497.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:12 am

This is the area of wear, should it be lubricated?

Would the plates lock and with the ignition in the advance position?
Attachments
IMG_5502.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 am

Over the last week or so the engine idle has been an issue, the engine would tend to want to cut out when I reached a stop street, adjustment of the idle screw seemed to help, it was not great though.

I tested an NGK number 6 plug again yesterday, with a spare base plate fitted ( since lubricated ) the plug burns as I would expect ?
Attachments
Number three plug with new dizzy base plate.JPG
Number three plug with new dizzy base plate.JPG (65.46 KiB) Viewed 939 times
walshste
Car Model: Imp Super, Irish built and an Irish Clan

Post by walshste » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Roy. Happy Christmas. Keep the updates coming. They’re very informative and a great reference material for us. While I don’t read them every day I catch up every week or so.

I’m sure there’s many more like myself , not posting on the thread (probably because we’re not as knowledgable as the main responders) but reading it and using it the help is with our own cars.

Best for 2020.
Thank you. Steve
gr88
Car Model: imp 875

Post by gr88 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:38 pm

+1 I look in everyday to see the latest update !
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm

yes that would alter the points gap and also that alters the ignition timing and it would be erratic so sometimes will cause a normally idling engine to die at low revs other times not. Also and probably harder to tell is the acceleration would be slightly slower or faster depending on where the advance plate sticks and how long it sticks in place till it frees itself. This is like the brake scenario when people drag a car out of a garage commission it and use it then complain the brakes are poor so buy a disc conversion as it is newer and bigger therefore better, but if they had maintained the drum brakes properly then they would not have gone down that route, this is backed up by the amount of people who by my rear shoes due to the front discs locking too early it is usually a poorly maintained rear shoe set up causing that. Same with "i have fitted elec ignition as it is newer and better and only £12 delivered from e bay" nope sorry, just overhaul the dizzy use quality parts and keep it as it is tens of thousands of miles can be done like that, yes you have to add a bit of grease and oil here and there, make the odd adjustment but it takes minutes and is part of the joy of owning an old car.

If someone read your excellent thread and the others on here and noted all the age and component related pitfalls i reckon they could run an imp to 200k miles just like a brand new nissan micra only difference you would open the engine cover on the imp twice in comparison to the micra but it could be done. I did 9 rallies and some 3 k road miles in 2015 and never replaced a serviceable component on the car or had to tighten anything up and rallying is usually rated as 10 X more on a car so if oil change is recommended at 10k miles then on rally car you would change it at 1000 miles. oils, greases, fuel has come on so much you can stretch the service intervals from the recommended in the 60's etc

moral of the story check all components for wear everywhere before masking problems with more modern items that could be of worse quality.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:30 pm

walshste wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 pm
Hi Roy. Happy Christmas. Keep the updates coming. They’re very informative and a great reference material for us. While I don’t read them every day I catch up every week or so.

I’m sure there’s many more like myself , not posting on the thread (probably because we’re not as knowledgable as the main responders) but reading it and using it the help is with our own cars.

Best for 2020.
Thank you. Steve
Steve, thanks on your comments, I try and state things as I find them, some I have to retract as I work into the issue, I think this would be the way many would work, as in by trial and error, yes I do make errors!

All the very best to you and yours for the festive season! Imp027
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:37 pm

moose wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm
yes that would alter the points gap and also that alters the ignition timing and it would be erratic so sometimes will cause a normally idling engine to die at low revs other times not. Also and probably harder to tell is the acceleration would be slightly slower or faster depending on where the advance plate sticks and how long it sticks in place till it frees itself. This is like the brake scenario when people drag a car out of a garage commission it and use it then complain the brakes are poor so buy a disc conversion as it is newer and bigger therefore better, but if they had maintained the drum brakes properly then they would not have gone down that route, this is backed up by the amount of people who by my rear shoes due to the front discs locking too early it is usually a poorly maintained rear shoe set up causing that. Same with "i have fitted elec ignition as it is newer and better and only £12 delivered from e bay" nope sorry, just overhaul the dizzy use quality parts and keep it as it is tens of thousands of miles can be done like that, yes you have to add a bit of grease and oil here and there, make the odd adjustment but it takes minutes and is part of the joy of owning an old car.

If someone read your excellent thread and the others on here and noted all the age and component related pitfalls i reckon they could run an imp to 200k miles just like a brand new nissan micra only difference you would open the engine cover on the imp twice in comparison to the micra but it could be done. I did 9 rallies and some 3 k road miles in 2015 and never replaced a serviceable component on the car or had to tighten anything up and rallying is usually rated as 10 X more on a car so if oil change is recommended at 10k miles then on rally car you would change it at 1000 miles. oils, greases, fuel has come on so much you can stretch the service intervals from the recommended in the 60's etc

moral of the story check all components for wear everywhere before masking problems with more modern items that could be of worse quality.
Moose, thanks for taking the time to read my comments and make your own.

Yes, I would prefer to stay with the tried and tested Lucas ignition set up, as I have the spares here to swop and change for testing.

Todays news is after driving around the village plug three is quite black again, a big surprise to me.

I have since fitted what is a new distributor cap and with the same copper wire leads, new old copper wire by the way, I had a roll of the stuff in stock from decades back.

Next is a road test, to apply more than say 70 kph I need to drive further, 100 kph is the legal and posible.

Yes the engine liked that and the crank scroll stopped its drip, like one drip in three hours. :D
Attachments
IMG_5520.JPG
IMG_5520.JPG (81.34 KiB) Viewed 882 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:41 am

With the Heppolite Powermax pistons having done the required 500 miles run in distance I will next re tighten the cylinder head bolts, they were done around the 200 mile period as well.

I went for a drive to test out the new distributor cap, it looks promising as brief test to 6000 rpm was possible, I was going to change the oil and filter but the oil in the sump is still quite clean, also the oil gauge reads a nice 50 pounds, more on engine start up, so the oil will be changed at the 1000 miles period.
Attachments
Shell 20W50 at 500 miles.JPG
Shell 20W50 at 500 miles.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 878 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 am

With a new distributor cap fitted and taking the advice of Moose, I went for a drive out of the valley and up to Suikerbossie, that is a long hill, a good mile of it, using engine revs and basically on acceleration all the way to the top I returned home and then inspected the NGK BP6ES spark plug.

Looks fine to me, plus I did not clean off the soot from when the engine was last run, so the plug has cleaned itself :D
Attachments
With new dizzy cap.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:14 am

As the year end arrives I had one last job to sign off on, that was to torque down the cylinder head bolts again, with more than the required 800 kms on the odometer it was the right time.

I had done them a while back, this time the bolts tightened by quite a lot more.
Attachments
IMG_5526.JPG
IMG_5526.JPG (97.56 KiB) Viewed 851 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 am

A warning to anyone who has changed over to unleaded petrol as I did a few months back, the normally clean in line petrol filter was showing lots o black flakes in it, when drained out they became smaller parts, this did not happen with LRP petrol.
Attachments
IMG_5529.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:50 am

The Rootes WSM141 states that engine running in should be done in two halves, basically the speeds are raised after 500 miles and then again from 1000 miles.

That was over fifty years back, with todays modern grades of engine oils I suspect the engine running in would be less?

I could ask Shell but will they tell me?

Five hundred miles, just how far is that?

Well the town of Hopetown is just over 500 miles from Cape Town, check the map its quite a long drive, about half the way to Johannesburg. :D
Attachments
Hopetown 830 kms.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:42 am

The heart of the matter?

Did I move a problem from one engine to another, it is probable?

The distributor is a genuine and later sport type 41190A one, I bought it from a club member and as NOS, it transformed the performance of the car original engine when first fitted.

Check the number 17 stamped on the balance weights.

What happend then seems to have been a a change to an original Lucas distributor cap, now known to have a fault on HT lead feed number three, then the upper base plate started to wear.

Funny but I did change to another distributor as a test, did I change the HT leads and cap?

I would need to look back in this thread to find out.

Right now the engine is pulling like it should, 6500 rpm will spin up very quickly, in fact I need to lift off as even in second gear I would exceed the speed limit now :o
Attachments
IMG_5498.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:21 am

A job that I have left right to the end of any works due to the ease of access when the plate is removed, is to refit my home made heat shield between the silencer and the twin Strombergs.

It will require the removal of the silencer.

Note, the row of holes on the side edge closest to the camera exist as the metal was cut from a steel shelf that I found in a scrap yard. :)
Attachments
IMG_0931.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am

African Imp wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:50 am

Well the town of Hopetown is just over 500 miles from Cape Town, check the map its quite a long drive, about half the way to Johannesburg. :D
I did 500 miles yesterday in fact, so you could easily run your car in in 2 days. :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:52 am

The Nun wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am
African Imp wrote:

I did 500 miles yesterday in fact, so you could easily run your car in in 2 days. :D
Was that in your 998cc Imp or a modern?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am

To fit the heat shield I knew that the silencer had to come off, what I forgot is the way that the exhaust manifold sits that I have to lower the engine to remove the silencer .

Anyway the shield is back in place, just need to do the bolts that fasten it and then refit the silencer :)

This was all down to The Nun who suggested that a heat shield was a good idea?
Attachments
IMG_5537.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am

From the other side.
Attachments
IMG_5536.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:12 pm

African Imp wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:52 am
The Nun wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am
African Imp wrote:

Was that in your 998cc Imp or a modern?
No it was in my new Range Rover with the heated seats on 8) , but that's not to say you can't do that sort of mileage in an IMP, I regularly used to do 300 mile trips in a day when it was my everyday car, I don't use the IMP now when the roads are salted such s they are at the moment it just ruins all the plated components its not worth it.
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Wouldn't it have been better to paint the underside silver to reflect the heat away?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 am

oli wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:53 pm
Wouldn't it have been better to paint the underside silver to reflect the heat away?
Yes! :D which is why buying one made from sheet alloy from ' Ex - Pressed steel panels' makes sense.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am

While I knew that the silencer had to be removed to be able to fit the heat shield I had forgotton what the process was to remove the silencer?

I got to the stage when I thought the engine cross beam needed removal as the silencer fits in such a way that the cross beam prevents its removal, I was about to give up on the job, then I realised that if I lowered the engine I could pull the silencer backwards and remove it.

Once the heat shield was in place I bolted it front and rear, two bolts each end and a pair of grub screws in the side chassis rail, it is very secure.

I started the engine to check that there were no rattles etc, to my surprise I reaised that the engine sounds quieter with the plate in place.

It should be noted that even with the plate being painted black on both sides, the reduction in heat to the Strombergs is very noticable if after a drive you place your hand in the space between the top of the plate and the carburetors.
Attachments
IMG_5542.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:21 am

African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 am
oli wrote:
Yes! :D which is why buying one made from sheet alloy from ' Ex - Pressed steel panels' makes sense.
. They only do steel ones though?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:25 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:21 am
African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 am
oli wrote:
. They only do steel ones though?
The picture I saw looked like it was alloy, would they do it in 316 stainless at an extra fee?

Its not a big issue really, as mine works as it is and painted black anyway.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:30 am

It's because Express Panels come bare metal with just a light covering of oil on them.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:36 am

African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am
I had forgotton what the process was to remove the silencer?

Remove the strap and the 2 U clamps and pull it off.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:04 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:36 am
African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am
I had forgotton what the process was to remove the silencer?

Remove the strap and the 2 U clamps and pull it off.
I wish that was the case but the size of silencer I have sticks upwards into the space and area forward of the engine support cross beam, so it cannot be drawn backwards and out.

I sorted that problem out by dropping the radiator leaf guard then by jacking the engine up to support it, with the 1/2" engine mount bolt removed I could then lower the jack and with it the engine and silencer, then I could slide the silencer out.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am

The first job for year 2020 for me was to be the drop panel that fits from the body to the radiator, I removed it when the new engine was fitted.

Having fitted a stainless steel heat deflector I do not think the drop panel can be re fitted without cutting?

What are the genuine sports like?

The image of a complete sport radiator ( The Nun's ) shows no drop panel.
Attachments
32260519_207316659874591_1118176679471087616_n.jpg
32260519_207316659874591_1118176679471087616_n.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 615 times
IMG_5547.JPG
IMG_9444.JPG
IMG_9444.JPG (53.53 KiB) Viewed 616 times
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 am

African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am
The first job for year 2020 for me was to be the drop panel that fits from the body to the radiator, I removed it when the new engine was fitted.

Having fitted a stainless steel heat deflector I do not think the drop panel can be re fitted without cutting?

It doesn't show the drop panel because that's stays on the car.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:28 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 am
African Imp wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am

It doesn't show the drop panel because that's stays on the car.
Does the heat shield fit under the drop panel?

If so that is a job in waiting?