A Californian drying out in South Africa

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

kilty
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

Re: A Californinan drying out in South Africa

Post by kilty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:55 pm

I just noticed you have the very rare and unseen CaliforniNan!

:)
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Post by African Imp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 am

kilty wrote:I just noticed you have the very rare and unseen CaliforniNan!

Thanks for taking this thread to page 115, your the first out of more than 43,000 views or so to spot my mistake!

It seems I can not edit the title?

Seems that I was sucessful :D Imp027
Last edited by African Imp on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
African Imp

Re: A Californian drying out in South Africa

Post by African Imp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 am

Yesterday I wanted to fire up the Perkins 4108 diesel engine, first I had to secure the cooling water by removal of the heat exchanger, move pipes and close off the exhaust cooling ports.

With the job done I tried the starting side, no luck, I see that some of the injectors are leaking air at their bases? :(

The company who serviced them, Briegles supplied new copper sealing washers, are they the problem?

InfraZA comments:

Roy,

Even brand new copper washers should first be annealed (to soften them) before use. Hang them on the hooked-end of a piece of wire and heat them with the blow-torch until bright cherry-red, then dunk them into a bowl of water. New copper washers have not necessarily been annealed after being stamped out of the copper sheet - a process which work-hardens them even if the parent sheet had already been annealed.

Also just make sure that the nozzle tips have been tightly screwed to their bodies. Even Briegels must suffer occasional lapses of excellence!

If you've seen exhaust smoke you've had combustion, so there's life there.
Those rotary CAV pumps are very sensitive to air in the fuel and require very thorough priming / venting, so with further cranking any remaining air should be expelled.

I have today discovered that the injectors are ( it seems) one copper washer too short of the seat where the injector sits :(

Can I get thicker washers, do I fit two washers? I may find out tomorrow?

This cylinder head was not the engines original one, that means the top deck can be thicker?
Attachments
IMG_2419 (1).jpg
IMG_2419 (1).jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
Last edited by African Imp on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

African Imp wrote:

Thanks for taking this thread to page 115, your the first out of more than 43,000 views or so to spot my mistake!

It seems I can not edit the title?

Seems that I was sucessful :D Imp027
You're weclome! ;)
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 am

IMG_2390.jpg
We have a public holiday here today, they call it 'youth Day' , which I guess would exclude myself?

This was out and about last week, check the dirt road and also the wild guinea fowl, of which we have quite a few in our garden each day :D
Attachments
guineahero.jpg
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:29 am

Light and Dark, these new digital cameras sometimes cannot handle the light as well as they may?

The Canon G1X has picked up on the reflected light of the wall and missed the bright red of the car :(

The Canon G1X is a pro standard camera, it will give amazing results if you use what is called RAW then feed the images into a computer program.

Has any Imp Club forum member ever tried this?

I assume I could correct my image then?

It may work with a simpler program?

I have used Microsoft Office Picture Manager to extract some of the cars colour, the image was quite poor to begin with really, so the result is not that great?
Attachments
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
IMG_2393.jpg
imp-aus-ter
Club Member: No
Car Model: 6x Hillman imp '63 '64 '66 '67 GT(Aus), '67 '67

Post by imp-aus-ter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 am

I am happy just to have a common Hillmanin Impinin.... :o :lol:

Roy, with a good thick new gasket under the sender, make sure you have the earth wire from one of the screws to the body. When I got my Tassie devil, the fuel gage was intermittent and the old owner had told me sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Sure enough, no earth wire. I noticed it on the way back from Tasmania, I had some spare wire but no '0' terminals, so I just stripped a piece of wire about 75mm long and went from a screw (wrapped/twisted around, then under the sender screw plate between the tank and the gasket). It worked and got me home with the gage working... I now have a wire from the sender mount screw to the rear right tank mount bolt :)

99% of electrical issues are bad earths or fuses... we don't have fuses so... bad earths.

One issue I had last week with the TD, a few times in the past few months I have gone to start it and the dash lights would go out.... nothing :o :roll: (usually when someone has waited an hour at the car for me to return, to see it run) :oops: (or trying to restart at a petrol station) :twisted: .. what it was, was the bolt/nut on the relay was 1/ not tight and 2/ dirty.... the second nut that held the positive lead from the battery and from the solenoid to the starter were plenty tight, but tight against the other (first) nut.... the bolt itself was loose enough to lose contact.... :roll: Now, with the bolt/terminal clean and the first nut tight, then the cable eye on and the second nut tight.... it never misses a beat (touch wood) :wink:
There are cars better than an imp, but when rated in 'smiles to the gallon' not many beat an imp
imp-aus-ter

Post by imp-aus-ter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:33 am

African Imp wrote:
I have used Microsoft Office Picture Manager to extract some of the cars colour, the image was quite poor to begin with really, so the result is not that great?
I do most of my photo cropping, reducing, enlarging etc with 'paint' in windoze :)
There are cars better than an imp, but when rated in 'smiles to the gallon' not many beat an imp
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:27 am

imp-aus-ter wrote:

I am happy just to have a common Hillmanin Impinin.... :o :lol:

Roy, with a good thick new gasket under the sender, make sure you have the earth wire from one of the screws to the body. When I got my Tassie devil, the fuel gage was intermittent and the old owner had told me sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Sure enough, no earth wire. I noticed it on the way back from Tasmania, I had some spare wire but no '0' terminals, so I just stripped a piece of wire about 75mm long and went from a screw (wrapped/twisted around, then under the sender screw plate between the tank and the gasket). It worked and got me home with the gage working... I now have a wire from the sender mount screw to the rear right tank mount bolt :)

99% of electrical issues are bad earths or fuses... we don't have fuses so... bad earths.

One issue I had last week with the TD, a few times in the past few months I have gone to start it and the dash lights would go out.... nothing :o :roll: (usually when someone has waited an hour at the car for me to return, to see it run) :oops: (or trying to restart at a petrol station) :twisted: .. what it was, was the bolt/nut on the relay was 1/ not tight and 2/ dirty.... the second nut that held the positive lead from the battery and from the solenoid to the starter were plenty tight, but tight against the other (first) nut.... the bolt itself was loose enough to lose contact.... :roll: Now, with the bolt/terminal clean and the first nut tight, then the cable eye on and the second nut tight.... it never misses a beat (touch wood) :wink:
Thanks,

This earthing was covered early on in 2014, The Nun ( i think) was very helpful at the time and mentioned that one set screw has a copper washer?

In this case both the water temperature and the petrol level are reading short, that would be the voltage stabliser then?
imp-aus-ter

Post by imp-aus-ter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:54 pm

African Imp wrote:
This earthing was covered early on in 2014, The Nun ( i think) was very helpful at the time and mentioned that one set screw has a copper washer?

In this case both the water temperature and the petrol level are reading short, that would be the voltage stabliser then?
It could be the stabiliser.... or else you have a cold motor and not much petrol? :lol:
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:58 pm

imp-aus-ter wrote:
African Imp wrote:

It could be the stabiliser.... or else you have a cold motor and not much petrol? :lol:
I think you will have missed this picture which is what started me off on this short reading of gauges.

The tank clearly has a lot of petrol in it but the gauge reads down around a 1/4 tank?

I had an even lower reading water temperature gauge, then I removed the 74c thermostat and fitted an 87c one, the reading increased, so I know things are working there but I expect to see the gauge read higher than it does?
Attachments
IMG_2218 %25281%2529.jpg
IMG_2218 %25281%2529.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
imp-aus-ter

Post by imp-aus-ter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Roy... mate....

I was pulling your chain :lol: it is an aussies thing... sorry :)

I think the voltage stabiliser is likely the culprit since both gages are reading low.... do you have another dash laying around you could try another? (dash or stabiliser)
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 am

Re usable seat belt ends in a decent sort of condition are in short supply, I will release a set from some spare belts and have them replated :)

My board attatchment ceiling has been reached, so no more pictures from now on it seems ??? :(

I have asked Keith, the moderator to allow me more space, will I get it is the question?

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. ( This line was highlighted and in Red )

Subject:

Last edited by African Imp on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bobbycham
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Bobbycham » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:29 am

South African tourist board will be up in arms about reaching your picture limit (again).

Your pictures would make me want to visit if l did travel (further than Swindon) :lol:

Bob
Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:37 am

Bobbycham wrote:South African tourist board will be up in arms about reaching your picture limit (again).

Your pictures would make me want to visit if l did travel (further than Swindon) :lol:

Bob
Imp005
Bob,

Thanks,

I try never to post a thread without a suitable picture?

Living where we do, with the fantastic scenery, buildings and homes it is not too difficult to find a nice picture to take?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:23 am

Todays opening picture was to have been a re chromed dome headed machine screw, with its large and thick washer complete with a re plated eye tang.

It would fit at the rear of the back seats left and right, being to hold the shoulder strap to the inside of the car.

That picture will have to wait for now, as will the pictures of the two sets of Kangol magnetic belt metal fittings that came with my car.

Were they UK supplied and with the car from new, I have no way of knowing this?

The Kangol magnetics in the car now came from Brian down in New Zealand ( :D ) they have the same magnetic lap connection and floor tangs but the rear over the shoulder fitting is nicer and in chrome, Brians belts are marked as made under licence in New Zealand, very nice they are too.

I will have the parts re finished in chrome and then transfer the as new parts to the belts in the car at some time in the future.

Pictures will be posted when I am allowed to?
Bobbycham
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Bobbycham » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Pictures will be posted when I am allowed to?[/quote]

Haven't we been here before?

Bob
Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Bobbycham wrote:Pictures will be posted when I am allowed to?
Haven't we been here before?

Bob
Imp005[/quote]

Bob,

Correct but to be fair, this thread of mine has grown to what may be called a large size?

I actually do not know how it stacks up against others?

With some 43,000 views and now on page 115 it must be using a lot of memory space?

Before posting them I do shrink all my pictures by the way, well 99.9% of them, this takes me twice as much time if not more?

There has been no response from the moderator as yet, he may be out polishing his Imp for the 2016 Imp Club National ? :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:33 pm

The Nun sent me a link to the Facebook page for the Imp Club, it worked ok for about two weeks but now its down or I am not allowed to view it?

http://ckdboats.blogspot.co.za/2016/06/ ... nwood.html

I nicked the opening picture but I did post that viewers of my own blog would do well to join the Imp Club :D Imp027
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:35 pm

The Nun sent me a link to the Facebook page for the Imp Club, it worked ok for about two weeks but now its down or I am not allowed to view it?

http://ckdboats.blogspot.co.za/2016/06/ ... nwood.html

I pay some GBP 36.00 per year as an overseas member, it bothers me that none members who save the UK club subs cost, can use social media to access Imp information and parts via Facebook.

Did I see some 2800 or so have become friends on Facebook?
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:45 pm

African Imp wrote:Did I see some 2800 or so have become friends on Facebook?
They arent really your friends Roy, by wanting to be a friend it allows them to see onto your Timeline which they cant if you dont allow them to be a friend, and thus they can find out all about what you do etc, who you are etc, its called generally being nosey anywhere else.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm

The Nun wrote:
African Imp wrote:Did I see some 2800 or so have become friends on Facebook?
They arent really your friends Roy, by wanting to be a friend it allows them to see onto your Timeline which they cant if you dont allow them to be a friend, and thus they can find out all about what you do etc, who you are etc, its called generally being nosey anywhere else.
That really is not for me!
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:27 pm

Again I took out the two stainless roof gutter trims.

Are they so bad, is one side good and the other side the problem?

I can confirm that one side is less damaged than the other but both require a tool that I do not have but can I make one?

Its the so called 'English Wheel ' , one small enough to fit inside the channel and with the correct inner and outer radius profile would remove much of the damage?

Has anyone seen such a tool?

Small sized of course! http://www.homemadetools.net/tag/english-wheel
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 am

With page 115 here and some 44,000 views it would be nice to be allowed to post some more pictures to keep the thread content more interesting? Imp027

I have just tried again, Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Same message as yesterday, It would be nice to have a reply from the controller to my PM?
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 am

I delete a load of mine now and again - usually ones from way back no one looks at anymore - as you have loads on here maybe chop a few out :idea:
Formally known as " Noddy "
imp-aus-ter

Post by imp-aus-ter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 am

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:I delete a load of mine now and again - usually ones from way back no one looks at anymore - as you have loads on here maybe chop a few out :idea:

That is easy, but it is bad when looking at interesting old threads and the pics sound interesting, but have been removed/deleted :(

Of the thousands of forum members, only a few do post pics, sure Roy posts many... but that is more than evened out by people like myself who are not allowed/not enabled to post pics.... I guess someone got the poops when I said for me here in Australia it is of no benefit to me to pay 36 pounds ($AU80.00) to become a member of an overseas club that I cant attend meetings/runs, the freight kills cheaper parts costs, like, I cant buy body repair panels, which I need, but the freight costs and exchange rate make them unobtainable to me), I am not allowed to post pics so have had to get Paul (IM) to post on my behalf.... but I got sick of that so now I rarely bother. As a result, you guys miss out on seeing some awesome stuff going on here, with the 2.2L Subaru, 4sp automatic imp and others.

I have found that the forum would be great if I were in England, but from overseas, it cant help me. I still would have to be in an Australian car club to get historic registration which is 1/4 the cost of normal. Most times I have googled a subject either Francas site comes up, the imp club site (but I am unable/unauthorised to view) or Roys 'imp years' site comes up. I think the imp club should be thanking Roy for his thread... look how many hits he has got the imp club? It is the first thread I look at when I come on here and his pics make the thread interesting.

I would have more to do with the forum if I could post pics, but I can't, so, why bother? Soon, you watch... Roy will eventually come to the same conclusion... that the imp club is not run 'for the love and longevity of the imp' .... but only for the money? IMO, all threads should keep all photos... no one should have to remove pics from old threads to post new? That makes the older posts useless... so much for prosperity? :roll:

Ok, So Roy posts 100 pics per month (give or take) and 1000 other members post one or none.... guess whose thread is getting all of the hits? Roys... Think how many hits will be lost if Roy pulls up stumps and decides not to post? How will that help 'keep the imp alive?' Whoever runs this forum should be, without needing to think for one second, giving Roy as much photo space as he needs (and maybe ask him to ease up a little)

I have offered to pay a 'donation' to be a 'non voting overseas associate member' but that fell on deaf ears. The imp and its cousins were a WORLDWIDE phenomenon... not just a British one... To me, if the imp club actually wants to 'promote and keep imps in the public eye' then they should be encouraging overseas members with a smaller fee... say you have 500 lurkers and non members like myself who cant afford 36 pounds for not much.... if the club made a non voting associate membership for those on the other side of the world, as an example 10 pounds... and 400 of the 500 lurkers from overseas took you up on it, think how much money that would make the club?

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant... and I fully expect it to be removed by the first club big wig that sees it... but the club/forum needs to look after Roy or you risk losing him.... once people read to the last page and realise it is not getting added to, they wont come back.... end of lots of hits :roll:

I hope this post helps you Roy.... Love your work mate, and enjoy seeing it (in pics) I will prolly get chucked off here for this rant, but I felt it important to point out a few things you prolly cant say. If you do jump ship, let me know where you go, I will be interested to follow you. :)

Ok, rant over... do what you must :wink:
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:13 pm

I upload to Photobucket and copy from there. Easy enough and never had a problem.
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:52 pm

imp-aus-ter wrote:the imp club is not run 'for the love and longevity of the imp' .... but only for the money
The Imp Club is run entirely by unpaid volunteers who are Imp enthusiasts. Membership fees cover costs, and that's it. End of. As for the forum, sadly the Imp Club does not have either the finances or IT resources of Facebook and such-like, hence the forum and its hosting account have limited capacity. It helps if people upload photos to one of the free hosting accounts like Photobucket, then link them to posts on the forum. That way, the Imp Club's web hosting account doesn't take such a big hit as attaching photos directly to a post.
John Hall
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:35 pm

eebiegeebie wrote:
imp-aus-ter wrote:the imp club is not run 'for the love and longevity of the imp' .... but only for the money
The Imp Club is run entirely by unpaid volunteers who are Imp enthusiasts..
Not only that but i was quite surprised when Bob, Club Spares told me they sell the spares for the price they bought them at and dont put a mark up for profit, i have had quite a lot of items off Bob and know his prices are very fair for what they are with some items being very rare now indeed, those would be sold on at considerable mark up by some others now, just this fact makes it worthwhile being a club member on its own.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:23 am

eebiegeebie wrote:
The Imp Club is run entirely by unpaid volunteers who are Imp enthusiasts. Membership fees cover costs, and that's it. End of. As for the forum, sadly the Imp Club does not have either the finances or IT resources of Facebook and such-like, hence the forum and its hosting account have limited capacity. It helps if people upload photos to one of the free hosting accounts like Photobucket, then link them to posts on the forum. That way, the Imp Club's web hosting account doesn't take such a big hit as attaching photos directly to a post.
My membership has paid itself over and over again. Every year for ten years now. You may ask how?
- Full access to club members experience and knowledge. Absolutely invaluable even though I've been repairing and racing Imps since 1967.
- Parts from club spares. Only alternative is to make parts (don't have necessary tools and/or material) or have them made (one-off = astronomic costs).
- Impressions. The monthly magazine is not only good and interesting reading in general, sometimes there's also "how-to-do" articles from members who share their experiences, failures and successes.
Quite frankly, I don't understand the moaning and groaning about overseas membership fees.
What does £36 or AUD80 or SEK500 translate to? Here, in Sweden, it's 4 litres of engine oil or 35 litres of fuel or 65-75% of the cost for just one tyre. IIRC I paid much the same for a Haynes Imp manual, incl. P&P but without hands-on experienced advice. Thanks again club members :wink: .
Sorry if this appears harsh but I cannot see how £36 can be a deciding factor for anyone involved with classic cars. Imps or others.
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 am

My own GBP 36 is now due, with a rapidly falling value of the South African currency value this compounds the cost to me on what ever I import or pay for these days :(
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:50 am

I mentioned some seat belt ends, they need sorting if the interior of the car is to look correct?

The one in the picture has not been re plated and would be acceptable, the raised head screw was re chromed.

I note some more space to accept pictures has been allowed :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_2439.jpg
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 am

Seat belt wise I have changed over the cars original Kangol magnetics and for a much nicer set sent to me by Brian down in New Zealand.

His set had better ends as they were mainly chromed, some were not being those on the floor and the carpet, I will upgrade those to a chrome plated finish using the old parts from the original set.

The pictures show those, note the large electoplated buckle and link in round bar, they fitted behind the rear seats and while they were not too visible they were far from nice?
Attachments
IMG_2438 (1).jpg
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:14 am

Using a very sharp blade I was able to cut the sewing thread and release the metal ends.

Only the parts I need will be chrome plated, the others will be marked and kept for some future use?
This includes the belt webbing as the lengths are handy to know.

The set from New Zealand are a tad short, I am on max extension, they fit but I could never move the seat forward.
Attachments
IMG_2440 (2).jpg
IMG_2440 (2).jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 am

We have winter down here, today seems colder than yesterday?

Its showing 12c or 52f in my garage but its colder outside?

I would say we will see thick snow on the mountains NW of Cape Town?

Winter solstice

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the astronomical phenomenon. For other uses, see Winter solstice (disambiguation).

"Midwinter" redirects here. For other uses,
Winter solstice

LHS sunstones.jpg
Lawrence Hall of Science visitors observe sunset on the day of the winter solstice using the Sunstones II.

Also called
Midwinter, Yule, the Longest Night, Jól

Observed by
Various cultures

Type
Cultural, astronomical

Significance
Astronomically marks the beginning of shortening nights and lengthening days

Celebrations
Festivals, spending time with loved ones, feasting, singing, dancing, fires

Date
Between December 21 and December 23 (NH)
Between June 20 and June 21 (SH)

Frequency
Twice a year (once in the northern hemisphere, once in the southern hemisphere, six months apart)

Related to
Winter festivals and the solstice
Winter solstice in Northern Hemisphere over Asia
Winter solstice is an astronomical phenomenon marking the shortest day and the longest night of the year. In the Northern Hemisphere this is the December solstice and in the Southern Hemisphere this is the June solstice.

The axial tilt of Earth and gyroscopic effects of its daily rotation mean that the two opposite points in the sky to which the Earth's axis of rotation points (axial precession) change very slowly (making a complete circle approximately every 26,000 years). As the Earth follows its orbit around the Sun, the polar hemisphere that faced away from the Sun, experiencing winter, will, in half a year, face towards the Sun and experience summer. This is because the two hemispheres face opposite directions along Earth's axis, and so as one polar hemisphere experiences winter, the other experiences summer.

More evident from high latitudes, a hemisphere's winter solstice occurs on the shortest day and longest night of the year, when the sun's daily maximum elevation in the sky is at its lowest.[1] The winter solstice itself lasts only a moment in time, so other terms are used for the day on which it occurs, such as "midwinter", or the "shortest day". It is often considered the "extreme of winter" (Dongzhi in the Chinese calendar). In meteorology, winter in the Northern Hemisphere spans the entire period of December through February. The seasonal significance of the winter solstice is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days. The earliest sunset and latest sunrise dates differ from winter solstice, however, and these depend on latitude, due to the variation in the solar day throughout the year caused by the Earth's elliptical orbit (see earliest and latest sunrise and sunset).

Worldwide, interpretation of the event has varied across cultures, but many have held a recognition of rebirth, involving holidays, festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time.[2]
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 am

We have winter down here, today seems colder than yesterday?

Its showing 12c or 52f in my garage but its colder outside?

I would say we will see thick snow on the mountains NW of Cape Town?

Southern Hemisphere Winter Solstice:

(Australia, New Zealand, South America, Southern Africa)

June Solstice in Cape Town, South Africa was on
Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 00:34 SAST (Change city) ▸

June Solstice in Universal Coordinated Time was on
Monday, 20 June 2016, 22:34 UTC
◾Local times for June Solstice 2016 worldwide
◾Sunrise, sunset and day length around June Solstice 2016
◾Day and Night map for June Solstice 2016

Winter solstice

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the astronomical phenomenon. For other uses, see Winter solstice (disambiguation).

"Midwinter" redirects here. For other uses,
Winter solstice

LHS sunstones.jpg
Lawrence Hall of Science visitors observe sunset on the day of the winter solstice using the Sunstones II.

Also called
Midwinter, Yule, the Longest Night, Jól

Observed by
Various cultures

Type
Cultural, astronomical

Significance
Astronomically marks the beginning of shortening nights and lengthening days

Celebrations
Festivals, spending time with loved ones, feasting, singing, dancing, fires

Date
Between December 21 and December 23 (NH)
Between June 20 and June 21 (SH)

Frequency
Twice a year (once in the northern hemisphere, once in the southern hemisphere, six months apart)

Related to
Winter festivals and the solstice
Winter solstice in Northern Hemisphere over Asia
Winter solstice is an astronomical phenomenon marking the shortest day and the longest night of the year. In the Northern Hemisphere this is the December solstice and in the Southern Hemisphere this is the June solstice.

The axial tilt of Earth and gyroscopic effects of its daily rotation mean that the two opposite points in the sky to which the Earth's axis of rotation points (axial precession) change very slowly (making a complete circle approximately every 26,000 years). As the Earth follows its orbit around the Sun, the polar hemisphere that faced away from the Sun, experiencing winter, will, in half a year, face towards the Sun and experience summer. This is because the two hemispheres face opposite directions along Earth's axis, and so as one polar hemisphere experiences winter, the other experiences summer.

More evident from high latitudes, a hemisphere's winter solstice occurs on the shortest day and longest night of the year, when the sun's daily maximum elevation in the sky is at its lowest.[1] The winter solstice itself lasts only a moment in time, so other terms are used for the day on which it occurs, such as "midwinter", or the "shortest day". It is often considered the "extreme of winter" (Dongzhi in the Chinese calendar). In meteorology, winter in the Northern Hemisphere spans the entire period of December through February. The seasonal significance of the winter solstice is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days. The earliest sunset and latest sunrise dates differ from winter solstice, however, and these depend on latitude, due to the variation in the solar day throughout the year caused by the Earth's elliptical orbit (see earliest and latest sunrise and sunset).

Worldwide, interpretation of the event has varied across cultures, but many have held a recognition of rebirth, involving holidays, festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time.[2]
imp-aus-ter

Post by imp-aus-ter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:28 am

Lars, I have 6 imps, one driving and 3 in process of rebuilding. I am on a pension... $80 buys me alot and usually at the end of the week I choose to not eat and spend the money on imps :wink:

I simply cant spare to spend $80 for nothing

Glad you got more pic space Roy... :)
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:44 am

imp-aus-ter wrote:Lars, I have 6 imps, one driving and 3 in process of rebuilding. I am on a pension... $80 buys me alot and usually at the end of the week I choose to not eat and spend the money on imps :wink:

I simply cant spare to spend $80 for nothing

Glad you got more pic space Roy... :)
For those who may be interested?

When I joined the Imp Club and about twenty years back, the Rand was say Three to one Pound?

Today it is around twenty two Rand to one Pound, in my case the quoted GBP36 now sets me back R792, a few years back it was less than R400, which was still a stack of cash even then?

I am also on a fixed pension, it will never be worth more than the day it kicked in, I have just the one Imp and that is the one in this forum thread.

I do not see my Imp Club membership as a none return on my outlay, far from it but at some point my bank account is liable to be quite empty for this kind of thing?

Imp027
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:39 am

Here is one for everyone, which grade of fuel line can we use with modern petrols?

I was having petrol pipes made up for two British Seagull outboard engines I am restoring, the longer one is from a series 102 which will now be sixty years old?

The ends are genuine parts, the thimbles are new :)

I wanted a rubber pipe that will accept modern fuels, the additives of which can and do eat some plastics away, this one I was informed will accept leaded, unleaded and diesel fuels, so safe for my purpose.

It is marked Fuel/Emission 1/4" (6.4mm) SAE j30r7 50 PSI WP, its made in the USA and probably by Goodyear?

Note, when the brand new Solex was fitted to the new 998cc engine I built for the 1971 Imp deluxe for InfraZA , the car was primed, it started first time, I ran the engine a short while and went inside the house for lunch.

When I came back to the car there was a bad petrol leak. It was the short pipe between the carburetor body and the float chamber, the additives in our petrol had eaten it away in a very short time :(

The carb was supplied by the clubs spares department, Bob had forgotton to fit the corect VITON fuel transfer pipe, he sent it with the next batch of spares for the same car. I used some fuel pipe made in Italy while the Viton pipe was on the way. Imp003
Attachments
IMG_2453.jpg
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:55 am

I have been reading about some Impers wanting very wide wheel rims, those on my own car are 6" wide x 13J and I cannot imagine using wider on a normal road?
Attachments
IMG_2387.jpg