Irish Clan minor miracle

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: Irish Clan

Post by bks974c »

Cheers Paul

Got 1 autotest and 3 track days in the next fortnight so will be well tested :D

Today fitted across the back silencer to ensure it meets the noise requirements at Blyton and Caldwell Park, will take pics tomorrow.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

GURNSIMPS wrote:Looking good there Scott,bring it back down to Wicked Welsh sometime. :wink:
Probably not this year but on the list for next year.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

T'is a good Clan. And folk should take note that a tuned Clan is a thrill to drive - esp with the torquey 998 Scott has developed! Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Across the back silencer added to the existing system
DSC02045.JPG
T'd into the existing tailpipe and the end capped over with a removable cover. All joins are slip joints allowing a little energy to "escape" before it reaches the end of the exhaust hopefully keeping the noise level down for the track day noise tests.
DSC02046.JPG
The bike can came off the white rally car, also stole the duct and side window which I cut down to fit
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02048.JPG
Imp heater duct to the oil cooler (imho badly located as no air flow over it) and a couple of slots cut to feed cold air to the top of the filters.
Plan for the future is to fit longer trumpets to the webers and a cold air box fed from the new duct and relocated the oil cooler.
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02050.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Had a great day at the grass autotest sliding about in the Clan, didn't do anything for the times but great fun

Some of the eclectic mix of cars
DSC02054.JPG
DSC02053.JPG
DSC02052.JPG
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Work continues getting things ready for next week.

Sump baffle and large capacity sump fitted
DSC02056.JPG
The disadvantages of the rear fan and going off road
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02058.JPG
Today spent making up tyre rack for all the wheels I'll need to take :shock: nearly done :D
DSC02059.JPG
Scott
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice work, Scott. The car, the engine and the trailer are looking great. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

3 steps forward and 1 back :roll:

Spent some time readjusting the trailer brakes as only the fronts were warm when I brought it home on Sunday. Seem nicely balanced now.

Had a tracknight at Knockhill tonight, the main aim was to check out the changes made for its trip south to do a couple of track days -the cooling mods seem to work - temp sitting around 85 degrees so happy with that, new tyres have stopped the cronic understeer I had last time out, new seat and harness mods make it a much more relaxing place to be. New comp brake shoes bedded in and adjusted.

There always has to be a but, the but was the misfire, for the first half hour everything was fine and then an occasional miss that got worse but disappeared after coming in the pits and going back out but only OK for a couple of laps. ? temp related - component rather than engine. Fuel pump playing up?

The positive is Blyton Park is a full day event so gives me time to have a play and hopefully sort.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Was planning to set off about 10 this morning but worked on the Clan.

I have a feeling the problem is fuel related as it always initially missed coming out of corner (fuel surge ?) so tried draining the fuel by connecting the pump to the jerry can and switching on the ignition - nada so its the pump ?

To be doubly sure I drained the petrol and put it in Amy's car and there in the pipe were some little bits of muck - blew the line out with compressed air and reconnected and filled the tank and the pump is working.

I've partially plumbed in a facet solid pump so it will be a 5 min job to swap them over if it turns out the SU pump is faulty, apparently they really don't like pulling against a blocked inlet and it causes the points or electronics to fail in protest.

Almost ready now for the off, be at Blyton Park from 8-5 tomorrow if anyone around. See you in Huntingdon.
DSC02064.JPG
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Back home now, Clan and trailer put away. 930 miles with the Skoda and trailer at 31.9 mpg not great but better than the 15-17 mpg I got out of the clan on track although both are probably optimistic.

When I arrived at Blyton Park was unsure how the Clan would be after the issues at Knockhill but the issue of the mis was fully sorted by cleaning the muck from the fuel tank. I did 20min or so sessions and managed to do 170miles in total and by the end of the day had sussed all the corners. All I had to do was to top up the oil and adjust the brakes -still on drums.

Cadwell lived up to all the praise it had been given from those that had done it before, it certainly rewards the brave, the Clan was awesome. Did a 20min session, a 10min then a 40min one - the first was was showery, drying for the second and fully dry for the final one. Final Count was 68miles - 31 laps.

Still looking for consistent laps by the end of play, regularly missed the apex at the hairpin nearly collecting the bales on the outside several times, my usual problem of trying to carry too much speed - need to try slow in fast out. Barn was fun turn in, boot it and catch the slide usually 3rd unless chasing someone and looking to get past when I'd use 2nd. All the guys were great, the Clan did not have the top speed to past under acceleration but was quicker through the corners, they would lift and allow the Clan past.

Think there was more speed to be carried into Coppice but the climb and powering around Charles was great, initially missed the turn in for the Park Straight as its a blind approach over the crest but hitting it consistently by the end flat onto the straight. Its a steep hill on the straight and it made no difference to top speed whether using 3rd or 4th, it topped out at 90mph before braking for Park.

Chris Curve was fantastic powering round the speed building back up to 85mph before taping the brakes before the turn in for the Gooseneck, I did once try just lifting but the back end stepped out. I caught it OK but at that speed it wasn't going to end well so erred on the side of caution from then on.

Turn in to the Mountain was good but never really happy with the right hander and rise -3rd meant it was off cam and took a little while to build up again. 2nd just felt too brutal especially as the car went light over the crest. By Hall Bends it was shifting again - entry flat and sliding as it went through the chicane, getting the unsighted exit (at least it was from the low Clan) before the Hairpin was very rewarding.

Some footage from the M3 that was out - it was phenomenly quick. Clan 20s in.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Another at the Mountain - from the time on screen it looks like a 2 min lap or average of 66mph

Another from the same position

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Interesting (at least to me) White turbo'd car was "only" 10s quicker a lap (73mph) but so much quicker on the staights.
(it had been behind me in the previous clip and I let it past coming out of Barn so able to compare relative track times)

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Clan at 9:30

johno
Car Model: Clan Crusader

Post by johno »

I'm liking the Alpha clip and am impressed by the way you passed him. I had two 155s, a 1.8 Silverstone and a 2lt widebody. The one on the clip is a 'super' with woodrim wheel. It would have slightly softer suspension than the ordinary 155s. It was a seriously fast car with pin sharp handling and a red line about 7200. Your Clan looks very stable at speed though.
Got to old to wriggle into the Clan
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

With the next tracknight booked for this Wednesday it was time to give the Clan the once over.

At Cadwell on my last lap I noticed the oil pressure drop slightly on the long left hander (oil level was slightly low after 40min session when I checked) better safe than sorry so dropped the sump and checked the bottom end. Everything perfect so reassembled with new gaskets, oil and oil filter.

Replaced the rear shoes and adjusted them up. Put on the road wheels and tyres as driving it there as wee brother needs the trailer for his new toy which we picked up last Thursday and needs an Mot, tax etc. Its an E21 BMW 323 with a 4.4ltr V8 so should be quite quick with 300bhp on tap - all the suspension is fully adjustable but we're not convinced its fully set up yet as the previous owner had only done 100 track miles.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Change to plans I took the Clan on the trailer as Craig got his BMW mot'd and taxed and took it out for a blast and it was Sh*te, crap brakes, too stiff, spun its wheels everywhere so lots of sorting to do, so defaulted to the 306.

A great night cooler temps had the advantage of not needing the aux water pump and rads - downside was tyres never seemed to get hot enough so car was a very oversteery (so much so came in to check everything was in order)

Some good dicies with wee brother, both cars are very evenly matched, Clan has it in the corners and the 306 slightly quicker on the straights but neither can pass each other without a mistake or lift. So we swapped places every few laps, happy to drive very close to each other confident that the other is not about to do something silly. Although it did nearly all come to grief at the chicane- Craig brakes for the chicane and I can take it flat, so each lap I take a run through it and try to get alongside him on the exit (no real chance of getting past, but good fun). The exit is blind as the chicane is effectively on a mound, Craig crest it to find a spinning MX5 = brakes and dives to the right to avoid it while expecting any second for me to collect him, checking his mirrors for me and no sign :?
I come over the crest hot on Craig's tail and see the MX5 sideways on the the racing line and Craig using the right hand side of the track, the only place left for me was straight into the gravel trap, Craig was very surprised when I appeared in front of him from his left :lol:

You can laugh about these things when you are able to drive them home but it so easily could have ended differently but thats the risk you take.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Video from tracknight before I left for the National - a month ago :shock: where does the time go.

ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Sounds like a lot of fun... :shock: :D As you say, you have to understand the risks of track days. (Ask me how I know! :wink: ) But the rewards are there. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Paul

Maybe you'll have the Chamois ready for next years National and have another bash at Teeside - :oops: Sorry I meant to say master :wink:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Last run of the day with passenger - really notice the difference in performance struggling to keep up with Craig in front of me, also with passenger.

2nd MX5 of the night to expire and cause a red flag

Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

So - good point Scott ..... I've been asked by smoggy to organise a Teeside Aerodrome trackday ... but I think I'll ONLY agree to do it (someone else might take over a spoil this mind) IF - PAUL promises to GET HIS CHAMMY TO TEESSIDE AERODROME (for another bash!!) :lol:

Clan004
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I promise to try to get the Chamois to next year's national. :wink: If the car's ready, I'd love to take it to Teesside. It is intended to be a road-legal competition car. :D I'd relish the opportunity to learn the car on track.

I also promise to do my absolute best not to roll the car again and deposit half a sump's worth of oil on the track! :oops:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Sunday saw the Clan back at Forrestburn for the End of Season track day, cracking weather and good company.

Write up of the day at http://www.mscc.org.uk/

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

20150412_160907.jpg
Back home
20150412_100156.jpg
Ready for the off

The season warm up (track day) saw the Clan back at Forrestburn, frantic couple of days in the lead up to the event, it was finished on Wednesday but when I took it out there were some strange noises that I didn't like. Couldn't find anything definitive but picked up a couple of issues - a twisted driveshaft and split gearbox mount, driveshaft proved simple enough to change but the mounting was a real pain almost requiring the engine removal again, I was working on it to 11.00pm last night and back onto it a 6.45am this morning but the good news is whatever they noises were they have gone.

During the off season I made quite a few changes, removed the sound deadening pads around the engine bay (weight saving), fitted a block strengthening kit, replaced the straight cut close ratio box with the strengthened casing box with the quaife ATB from the rally car. This certainly made the journey to Forrestburn much more pleasant, can't say its quiet but the gear whine on the road use to be very unpleasant. The lsd makes it more fun to drive, the change to standard ratios seems to be Ok with only a little loss in urgency.

Tidied up the wiring, painted the dash, tidied the plumbing of the front head light pod mounted heater matrix's with 19mm hoses rather than having to step them up and down and relocated the auxillary electric pump.
20150412_100527.jpg
Fitted a cold air box with longer trumpets with the air filter inside the car
20150412_100223.jpg
20150412_100244.jpg
Changed to a laminova oil cooler rather than the std mocal type which didn't have any air flow over it sat behind the back panel.
20150412_100325.jpg
Webers need rebalanced but will wait until back from Imp Ecosse as wear in part of the linkage and then hopefully ready for some more track days.

Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That all looks good, Scott. Pretty much ready to go now, I guess. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I think I'm the only one that LIKES the sound of straight-cut gears!

I'm more for the close ratio box mind...I just hanker for a 5 speed close ratio straight-cut box..

Pleased you continue to see the value of the Clan Scott.. often think I'd be happierwith 2 Clans rather than 1 clan plus the Lotus (which I rarely drive 'cos it seems too big for me!). Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

How is your hearing :lol: Its perfectly acceptable with a helmet on, just not on the road.

I have a helical CR box that would solve the noise issue but wanted to see how well this engine pulls with standard ratios plus the strengthened casing and lsd allows me to play the hooligan without sweeping up the bits. True test will be at Knockhill to see the difference on the main straight.

Organise Teeside Autodrome for the National and we can compare.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote:How is your hearing :lol: Its perfectly acceptable with a helmet on, just not on the road.

I have a helical CR box that would solve the noise issue but wanted to see how well this engine pulls with standard ratios plus the strengthened casing and lsd allows me to play the hooligan without sweeping up the bits. True test will be at Knockhill to see the difference on the main straight.

Organise Teeside Autodrome for the National and we can compare.

Scott
I'm not involved with the National so don't know what's happening...not even sure I'll be there ...it's just 13 miles away ..hardly worth putting petrol in for .... :o

Hey, there is one thing I know for sure. .. in equal cars ... you would win!

I'm not anywhere near your driving ability. :P
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Clan passed its MOT today :D

Had an issue the other week with a sticking rear brake and had a look yesterday and it turned out to be a broken adjuster, the alloy had broken around the stud
this one was a new one purchased and fitted at last years National. Never fails to amaze me at the new ways they find to go wrong, original having stripped the adjuster thread.

Carbs have now been balanced and going well just need to book the next trackday.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Another trackday under the belt.

http://www.mscc.org.uk/

Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Looks and sounds like it was a good track day. :D Did you enjoy it, Scott?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

It's always a good day when you get to drive it home :lol: :lol:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

At Knockhill for another tracknight with Craig - this was the my treat for his big 50 birthday. This was the first time we had done the reverse circuit and the first since we had both made changes to the cars.

The main changes to the Clan included changing the close ratio box for the one out of the rally car - this is a strengthened casing with a Quaiffe ATB but running standard ratios. First benefit is its much easier to live with on the road, so much quieter, there was only one point where I missed the lower 3rd and that was the climb up Duffus but changing down to 2nd coming out of the corner before sorted that. A positive move.

The other major change was the fitting of the laminova oil cooler as there was no air flow over the old one, this certainly worked as the oil pressure was 75psi hot compared to 60psi before - this is with a standard oil pump and no alteration to the pressure regulator. The cooling system managed fine sitting at 82 (82 thermostat fitted) although It was cold, probably about 10 degree, so will have to wait until summer arrives to see that all is OK.

Next on this list is too look at the brakes, still running on drums all round and although not getting any fade with the comp linings but I am rolling into some of the corners to save them. First thing is to borrow the front disc set up from VAK while its being rebuilt and see how they perform.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Couple of shots of clan in action

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Amazing how you kept that Caterham (camera car) behind you for so long @ around 9:30 minutes in!

... 8)
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

It's actually a buggy, incredibly quick much quicker than a Caterham etc but is low geared so lacks a bit of top speed compared to some of the big cars.

The Clan handles well so is quick through the technical sections but loses out in straight line speed.

It's for sale £7500 if anyone wants a track day car or sell as a rolling shell and keep the engine and box as Vak rebuld making progress and don't really need two of them.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Last night was another track night at Forrestburn see http://www.mscc.org.uk/forrestburn-trac ... ery/page/1

First 3 runs were dry and as I had slicks on the rear plenty of grip then it started spitting rain and although never really got the track wet caution was the order of the day. After my marshalling stint it had dried out and over the next few runs built up the commitment again until I decided enough pushing as we have a track night at Knockhill next Thursday and no point in binning it (very little room for error at Forrestburn).

Couple of thing to do before Knockhill, leak from a valve leading to the heater matrix's in the nose, when I tried to tighten the nut it split so will have to be replaced. The exhaust needs a wee weld where a weld split when the exhaust hit the trailer when loading.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Another track night completed, this one was organised by Dreadnought Garage in Callander http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.com
they run with a max of 30 cars rather than Knockhill's own of 40 so expecting it to be less busy on track but only 24 cars out meant there were no delays getting on track, manages just over 80 miles in the 2 hours.

There was another Imper out but he was in his Nissan 370Z and my wee brother was there in his Peugeot 306 Rallye.

Weather was again cool for the time of year 15 degrees but felt like 10, almost struggled to get it up to temp and ran at 82 degrees all night with no fluctuation which meant the oil pressure sat at 75psi. Tyres never really got fully up to temp.

I was bothered by a misfire coming out of the hairpin at an indicated 6500rpm which is really 7500rpm, I think it was related to the fact that the alternator light had started to glow lightly and glowed more brightly when it missed. Did not seem to occur anywhere else and saw an indicated 7000 elsewhere on the circuit without issue. Engine note did not seem as crisp as usual but that might be down to running standard ratios so less revs for same speed, can't say I felt the loss of the lower 3 &4 and the ATB certainly helped coming out of the hairpin. Only downside to the evening was the fact that Craig's car was now noticable quicker having spent many £'s mostly on the suspension which was the area he lost out to the Clan, hopefully sorting the misfire will level performance again.

Used an App called Racechrono, which gives lap times, speed and various split/sector times. best lap time for the evening was 1.05.10 and top speed 92mph just before the hairpin on the back straight. Gave some spurious figures at times but its supposed to work much better with an external GPS receiver connected to the phone by bluetooth, will investigate the purchase of such.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Tonight took the Clan off the trailer and first thing I did was to check the spark plugs as the cause of the misfire, it runs with NGK platinum plugs BP7EVX and they have been in for 3 years since the engine was built but only done 2-3000 miles. Instead of pointy electrodes they were just stumps along with a big gap, while the mileage isn't great they are mostly on track so lots of sparks to wear them away. The possible reason for it to miss coming out of the hairpin is its steeply uphill so the load on the engine would have been the greatest at this point on the circuit. After changing the plugs it sounds crisper but that is subjective but as the rain came on before I got the slicks changed so still to take it out.

Still have to check out the alternator this is the third in 3 years, don't seem to live well with 8500rpm will also have a look a sealing the dip stick a bit better as small puddle of oil lying on the block.

Scott
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

bks974c wrote: Still have to check out the alternator this is the third in 3 years, don't seem to live well with 8500rpm will also have a look a sealing the dip stick a bit better as small puddle of oil lying on the block.

Scott
What alternator you running , Denso ones will take 18,000RPM , Obviously that is the alternator not the engine :lol: , anyway perhaps a lager pulley to gear it down might help , doing what i do for a living it seems vibration kills alternators as much as anything else , on the stators i rewind for a customer ( cant say who for on here ) i use flexi leads on the feeds out instead of the copper wire as they found the vibration sheers the leads , there are other things you can try as well.
Currently im developing a 100mm Denso that belts out 250A when cold and 200A at the 190˚C these run at , so far so good ( still cant say who for though )
Formally known as " Noddy "
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

I did find rubber mounting the support strap took a lot of vibration out , you could rubber bush the main mount as well and run a separate earth strap
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

The current one is an original Lucas unit, previous one a cheap chinese copy and looking back through the topic the first one failed due to a broken bracket so can't
really count that one. It runs big pulleys, There is a Denso unit on VAK that I may end up borrowing but that will require a bit on engineering for the brackets and different fanbelt so if I can sort or replace like for like that will be the preferred option.

Thanks

Scott
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

IIRC Lucas alternators have a rev max of 12,000RPM which is why all the comp alternators i modify inc ones for NASCAR all use Denso units , im not sure you will get a Lucas unit to cope with your 8,500RPM engine speed , given the gearing from the pulleys im guessing your over-revving the Lucas unit.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Got to spend sometime checking through the Clan today, the miss has now gone and it seems I might have been a bit quick in condemning the alternator although the belt is tight it appears to be slipping under load so have ordered a new one.

The alternator pulley is the same size or possibly slightly larger than the crankshaft one so over reving should not be an issue, it does however mean that at idle it doesn't charge but that not an issue as mainly used a trackday car.

The mounting for the rose jointed gear lever was cracked so that's been removed and I'll get it welded during the week, other than a wash its ready for the National.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I use a 4 inch pulley on a Denso and the charge threshold is around 1300 - 1400 rpm so that's were my idle is set. No problem with overheating (EWP etc) and clutch is better in traffic - I use mine on the road.

So what's your idle set at Scott?
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

800rpm

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote:800rpm

Scott
You trying to save petrol! :lol: Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Clan has been sitting for a fortnight after I carried out the little bits of work and was happy everything was sorted but untested, thought I'd take it to the monthly Club meeting yesterday just to check it was all OK, didn't get far as couldn't get fourth - damn I checked all the gears were working when it was up in the air - all except fourth. :oops:
So turned around and took the Skoda, good turn out at the meeting - 4 Imps, its been a long time since we had that many. :D
On the way home the check brake pad light comes on :twisted:

Today dropped the linkage and ground a bit of the tube to give so throw and jobs a good one. New fanbelt has also sorted the glowing warning light.

Checked the Octavia and pads all OK just an issue with the sensor - looked a bit wet inside the connector.

Loaded the trailer and pulled the tent and camping stuff out of the attic and ready for the off tomorrow to Darlington, going a day early to give a hard with set up.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Another Knockhill tracknight last night

Still bothered by a miss coming out of the hairpin despite changing the cap leads rotor arm and plugs, although I'm thinking its fuel related now.

Despite this it was a great night as it was dry and sunny with a good selection of cars and the chance for a bit of dicing.

In the video about 5 mins the clan rear steps out as I had a puncture on the rear which put an end to playtime but only 5mins left so didn't feel short changed

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Normal service has been resumed, after stripping the carbs and not really finding anything amiss apart from a little muck in the fuel filter a closer inspection of the magnetic ring identified a hairline crack. After replacing the ring its pulls like a train and revs cleanly all the way to its max.

Need to sort another trackday and see how it compares now to my wee brothers 306 rallye (168bhp) as his was clearly quicker the last twice we were out and that's not on :lol: evenly matched last year but both cars have had work done.

Scott