PEC 535L Clan restoration

Colin Foster (heaps)
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: californian

PEC 535L Clan restoration

Post by Colin Foster (heaps) »

I thought i'd start a thread on here if only to diarise my progress,trials, tribulations and general annoyance that this car is providing.
As can been seen the car isnt looking very happy having sat outside and blending as a garden ornament for the last 15 odd years maybe more. The paint has crazed and blistered and flaked off in lumps and then covered in green slime, I cleaned out 2 kilos of acorns, mainly eaten and a black sack that was the remains of the interior. Whats left of the interior will be used as templates for new plywood and vinyl. Thankfully a goodly part of the plywood is sound having bashed it with a hammer with just a rotten section on the front passenger side, thankfully being mainly fibreglass the structure of the car is sound but the suspension and steering will be replaced as its seriously compromised. As it came without an engine or gearbox then I might slot a mildly tuned 998 back in.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk29 ... bb3d75.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk29 ... 4f0c92.jpg
This is what the whole exterior is like!
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk29 ... c25c7d.jpg

The last picture is after a mornings paint removal and sanding down with a fine sanding block I have also just removed the paint from the roof.
The Irish front end will have the pop up headlights removed at some stage and the pods reinstated, one less thing to go wrong.
Colin Foster (heaps)

Re: PEC 535L Clan restoration

I forgot a couple of thank you's, firstly to Richard and Karen Claydon for loading me down with a pile of Clan bits after a recent visit, including a couple of new doors which have saved a shed load of stripping and sanding, thank you :P Also to Chris Benoy for suggesting Por-Strip which is the bees knees when stripping off old paint from fibreglass, follow the instructions (never read the tin unless I have to :lol: ) and it works a treat, another few weekends of stripping and sanding and then more de construction of suspension and steering. Still have to decide on colour, Porsche yellow it isnt going to be! But maybe a deeper yellow, we'll see.

Colin
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

Colin Foster (heaps) wrote: Still have to decide on colour, Porsche yellow it isnt going to be! But maybe a deeper yellow, we'll see.

Colin
Heres three to choose from
Mine's one at front with headlight pods and is Ford Daytona Yellow. Ken will no doubt correct me if wrong and tell you his colour. Then there's one in back ground that could be standard Clan Yellow
SDC16134.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisBenoy
Club Member: No
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

The one in the background is mine I think, which is Porsche light Yellow. I've never been able to work out my fav shade of yellow on a clan, when I respray mine it will be a different colour I think.
Colin Foster (heaps)

Almost 2/3rds stripped of grime and paint, I will have to do some localised repairs to some nasty scrapes and deep scratches then sand down. After that strip the steering and suspension and the rest f the bodywork and interior and off to the spray shop for the bodyshell. Still dont have any ideas on colour or shape.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk29 ... 12cf79.jpg
Colin
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

The original Clan is a car that can take some of the very bright in your face colours and look good such as those used in the 70's and are now becoming popular again on current modern cars, I think I would go for one of those bright colours again now. :wink:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033