Singer Chamois found in Spain

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Spanish Singer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois 1967

Re: Singer Chamois found in Spain

Post by Spanish Singer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Spanish Singer wrote:Have started work on the car and decided that it would be usefull if the clutch worked after bieng standing for so long.
Pressed the clutch pedal and the brake pedal went down with it and both padals stayed down, not a good start. The brakes have no pressure on the pedal so thats the next job. The clutch, after pushing both pedals up and down a couple of times, went solid at the top of its movement. First thought was, looks like the clutch has siezed.
First step was to dismantle the pedal box. I found that the clutch and brake pedal were siezed to the shaft and thats why they both went down together. I also found that the brake mastercylinder is not original. will check if it works when I get to the brakes. Also found the clutch pedal return spring was broken. someone had attempted to solve the problem with a spring that wouldn´t pull the skin of a rice pudding as they say (see photo).
I fitted a replacement return spring, freed up the pedals and refitted the pedal box to the car. Now both pedals move freely and the clutch pedal returns as it should. Next step was to bleed the clutch system. The clutch pedal was still very stiff to operate and once again going solid. Very little fluid was coming out of the slave cylinder as I bled it. I removed the slave cylinder from the car and took it apart. It had soft rubber inside the cylinder and in the entrace of the fluid there was more rubber almost blocking the inlet hole. I am guessing that the rubber flexible hose that connects to the slave cylinder has gone soft and will need replacing.
Will change the flexible hose, fit new rubbers to the slave cylinder and try again. Fingers crossed that when I have the hydraulics working again that the clutch is not stuck.
Have now fitted a new flexible hose and a new set of rubbers to the slave cylinder. All re assembled and bled through. The clutch pedal now operates the clutch lever so it looks like the clutch isnt stuck after all. Yipeee, what a relief, another job ticked off of the list !
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

It's coming along well, Paul. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Rear suspensión and driveshafts now removed from the car.

The Wheel bearings and the universal joints seem to be fine. Will dismantle and send off the driveshafts and rear wishbones to be cleaned and powder coated. The rear brakes were binding when I got the car and I found a leaky Wheel cylinder on the drivers side. I will be fitting new Wheel cylinders, brake shoes, springs and flexi hoses to both sides when I assemble it all again. Found an oil leak on one side of the gearbox/differential and one of the "doughnuts" covered in oil. The other one looks a bit dry and cracked so I will be replacing both of them for peace of mind.
The oil leak was caused by a worn drive coupling. There was a nice deep Groove on the shaft where the oil seal fits. Have new oil seals ready to fit for re-assembly. The shaft has been built up and machined back to its original size again. Very pleased with the job they did.

Once I get the bits back from bieng powder coated I can put it all back together again. Have new rear shocks and Monte springs ready to go on also.
Will post pictures once its all together on the car.

Paul
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Front suspensión and steering now finished. Had new shocks, springs and kingpins fitted. Kingpins were very worn, cant imagine how it passed its last MOT test !! Wheel bearings were OK so just a case of re greasing and adjusting them. Steering needed a new centre gaiter on the rack and new trackrod arms fitting. Also replaced the bush on the top of the steering column as the steering Wheel was rather wobbly :shock:
Wishbones were cleaned and powder coated too. Just need to bleed the brakes when the rear suspensión is assembled and get the tracking checked later on.
Another area ticked off the list :D
Paul
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm

The suspension looks like brand new, Paul! :shock: Excellent!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sunbeammadd
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by sunbeammadd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:04 am

Regarding the air filter - that sounds like the same setup that was used on Imps in Australia. If it is the same the filters are still readily available here. A Ryco A89 is the appropriate one.
Russ Maddock

'69 Sunbeam Imp 930 Sport
'63 Sunbeam Alpine
'12 Polo GTI
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 am

sunbeammadd wrote:Regarding the air filter - that sounds like the same setup that was used on Imps in Australia. If it is the same the filters are still readily available here. A Ryco A89 is the appropriate one.
That,s very interesting news. I could PM you some photos of the filter assembly and maybe you could let me know if its the same model. I dont have the original air filter element for reference as it had the wrong element fitted when I got the car.
Thanks, Paul.
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if the air filter set-up on your car originated in Australia, they tried a couple of different setups here finishing with what you have described - which may validate the 1967 date - I have a 1966 with the prior setup where the air was drawn from vents under the rear window.

That filter is a Ryco A89 (an Australian brand, other manufacturers may do it also), 91mm inside & 149mm outside diameter, 128mm height.

Available here (in theory) for $AUD27 - http://www.onlineautomotive.com.au/A89-Ryco-Air-Filter

If you have trouble ordering one due to your location, let me know and I will try to help. I said 'in theory' earlier as I'm not sure whether they will actually be available, I bought one probably 15 years ago which was 'old stock' and haven't tried to since.

John
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:14 pm

ImpManiac wrote:The suspension looks like brand new, Paul! :shock: Excellent!

IM 8)
Thanks for the comment, i was chuffed with the end result.

Thanks to you guys out there in Aussie for your help. The air intake below the rear window sounds interesting, any pictures ???
Here is a picture of the original Rootes export model air filter
Thanks to Magic Malcolm I now have a new filter on its way to me :D Having said that, the filter that is available there in Australia looks like the right one also.
Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Wed May 01, 2013 10:45 am

I was wondering, out of curiosity, if the stone guard fitted to my car is a common fitting on our cars or if its an export only part. Its fitted under the car between the radiator and the rear valence, under the water pump.
It effectively closes the gap between the inner wing and the engine sump. Just wondered if it was a part fitted to all cars ??
Paul Imp009
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 pm

That was fitted to the early Sports in the UK, and was got rid of later, probably as a cost cutting weight reducing exercise.

Imp Sport and Chamois Sport also use the rear stoneguard when the B Post air intake is fitted and also it was fitted to Heavy Duty models

Parts book states:
Export models
B492 B792 Sport and Chamois Sport
B301 Stilletto
And certain Van and Husky's

They are a bit hard to come by now too as many have rusted away, been damaged or got thrown away to make it easer to remove the rear panel, nice to have if youve got a good one. And of course the radiator needs the fixing bracket on the bottom too to fix it.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info Peter, its amazing the amount of knowledge that's out there amongst our club members.
The stoneguard came fitted to my car from new. Its a LHD Singer Chamois but not a Sport. It does have the air intake on the door B post with the export air filter. The brackets on the radiator are part of the radiator (welded on) so I guess there must be a different part number for this model of radiator as well.
The stoneguard is in good condition and, as can be seen from the picture, I have just re-painted it ready for when it goes back on the car.
Paul Imp009
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Yours is an export model so no doubt it was classed as a heavy duty version, filter and all.
And yes the rad is different and you dont see many now about with the extra flat on the bottom for the guard, tends to get discarded if the rad is ever rebuilt.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Started putting the interior back in the car although had a bit of a setback the other day. The car is outside, uncovered, and we had a good old Spanish downpour. End result was all my new soundproofing soaking wet :( . Knew that the rear window leaked, but didn't know that both doors leak as well !! Its taken a few days of sunshine with doors and back window open, to dry it out. I have now put a waterproof cover on it, better late than never :D
Have now put the rear seat back in the car. The original rubbers from the seat back and rear shelf were cream crackered so I had some replacements made from heavy duty carpet.
Need to find a good pair of seat back retaining straps and chrome bolts from the seatback to hold them, missing from the car for some reason.
Very pleased with the end result, a good replacement for the rubber.
Next job is to finish fitting the carpet and the front seats.
Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Decided to attack the leaky rear window problem. After advice from here on the forum I removed the window from the car. The next step was to split the frame. After removing the lower part of the frame from the glass I found that the glass was well glued in to the top part of the frame with some kind of mastic. I carefully cut round the glass to frame joint with a sharp knife to try to free it up. I was worried about forcing it and breaking the glass, so went very very carefully.
Finally the glass came free from the frame. After removing the old mastic from the frame I see that the glass enters the frame easily. When I re-assemble it I will be using Sikaflex to seal it but I think I will strip and re-paint the frame first.
Paul Imp009
imporium
Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Post by imporium » Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Spanish Singer wrote:Started putting the interior back in the car although had a bit of a setback the other day. The car is outside, uncovered, and we had a good old Spanish downpour. End result was all my new soundproofing soaking wet :( . Knew that the rear window leaked, but didn't know that both doors leak as well !! Its taken a few days of sunshine with doors and back window open, to dry it out. I have now put a waterproof cover on it, better late than never :D
Have now put the rear seat back in the car. The original rubbers from the seat back and rear shelf were cream crackered so I had some replacements made from heavy duty carpet.
Need to find a good pair of seat back retaining straps and chrome bolts from the seatback to hold them, missing from the car for some reason.
Very pleased with the end result, a good replacement for the rubber.
Next job is to finish fitting the carpet and the front seats.
Paul Imp009
hi paul, can post you some good free used ones over,when you wish............malcolm Imp009 Van001 Husky003
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking & Imp Club Parts support with discounted Parts Supply"
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 am

Have now got the rear window frame back to bare metal and ready to respray it.
The car has had a colour change from white to red in the past so I have no colour code for the red paint. I have removed one of the door pockets from the inside of the car as the paint on this part of the car is as new and not faded. Hopefully can get a good colour match from that.
Paul Imp011 Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:16 am

Hi all,
Have just replaced the handbrake lever on my car. The original one had the wrong plastic handle on the end and it was loose. The "press to release" button on the lever was also split. When it was depressed it jammed in and so the ratchet mechanism couldn't operate.
The replacement lever now has its correct handle and a posh new leather sleeve made to fit it too.
I am still half way through painting my rear window frame. The primer and the paint went on great but when I put on the clear coat of varnish something went wrong. Its got a case of "Orange peel" finish in the varnish (couldn't be anything else in Spain really :lol: ) Need to rub it down and re-paint it once I've figured out what I did wrong ???
Rear suspension is now ready to go back on the car. Will post pictures when its done.

Paul Imp009
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 am

Paul,
The replacement lever now has its correct handle
Imps never had a 'handle' from the factory. They were always supplied with a bare, painted steel lever. The grip fitted there is not original - but looks like an aftermarket accessory (I remember such things being sold in small independent Motoring Accessory Shops from my youth).

8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Thats interesting to know, I brought it off e-bay, described as an original handle for the Imp. Not to worry, am pleased with it and it looks the part, fits perfect, nice and tight.
paul Imp009
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

To be honest, Paul... they are much nicer!! 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Me too Tim. Its not original, but at least its a "period" extra and not a modern addition.
Also its a nice big handle to grab for the handbrake turns :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Finally got the rear suspension finished and back on the car. Did a complete rebuild so that I can tick off this part of the car.
Have fitted new shocks and Monte springs, new UJ´s and drive couplings too. The rear brakes have new wheel cylinders, new horseshoe clips, dust cover, new springs, new shoes and new flexi hoses. Rear wheel bearings were good so they were cleaned and re-greased on assembly with a new grease seal fitted to the hubs.
Hopefully this area of the car shouldn´t give any problems now.
Now that the front and rear suspension is ready the next job is to bleed the braking system before it goes back on its wheels. I have a pressure bleed kit (the type that connects to a car tyre) that I will use to bleed the brakes. It worked good bleeding the clutch hydraulics.
Would appreciate any advice/tips on bleeding the brakes on the Imp. Is it better to bleed the rear brakes with the handbrake on or off ??
Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Paul Imp009
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

WSM says fully tighten up rear adjusters and slacken front.
Start right hand rear then left rear then right front and finally left front.
When bleeding it says depress pedal in a series of long and short rapid strokes letting pedal fly back to stop wth foot removed.
Always keep master cylinder reservior topped up. It only takes about three pumps to empty it IIRC.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Peter Hurst wrote:WSM says fully tighten up rear adjusters and slacken front.
Start right hand rear then left rear then right front and finally left front.
When bleeding it says depress pedal in a series of long and short rapid strokes letting pedal fly back to stop wth foot removed.
Always keep master cylinder reservior topped up. It only takes about three pumps to empty it IIRC.
Was going to correct you then realised it's a left hooker! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Just had a bleeding good Sunday afternoon :lol: . Have bled through the braking system and have a good feel on the brake pedal. Have adjusted the brake adjusters on the front.Just need to adjust the rear brakes and connect and adjust the handbrake cables. In theory the brakes are now ready but the car is not driveable yet so the road test will have to wait. Next job re-install the fuel tank and start work on the engine. Another thing ticked off the list :D

Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Started work in the engine department now. Have re-installed the radiator and fitted new hoses. A new (recon) water pump now fitted and a new rubber shroud for the fan housing fitted as well.
Have fitted a new thermostat housing as the one that was on the car was a home made replacement made of steel. I also fitted a new thermostat. Some clever person had put it all back together without a thermostat. Guess they thought it would cool better without it :o Just need to fit the smaller hoses now and it can be filled with coolant.

paul Imp009
Nick Webb
Car Model: Commer Imp Van

Post by Nick Webb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 pm

BleuBlancRouge wrote:Imp006
imp.sport wrote:Interesting.

You may know already that if it was sold outside of the UK it should be badged as a Sunbeam.
Is it LHD ?
Can't tell from the photo.

The windscreen wipers show it's LHD. On RHD cars the wipers sweep in the opposite direction, and the pivot/washer jet points are inversed.
I think this is the car I saw advertised in July last year, it looked good in the photos. I seem to remember it having the export oil-bath hot/dusty conditions air-filter...very rare.
Actually the Chamois WAS sold as a Singer model in Spain - I have a brochure!!

Nick Webb
Dan Air
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 am

car is looking goo, couple of tips for you lock up the rear adjusters solid and back the fronts right off when bleeding, when bled adjust up correctly, and dont forget to fit the big clips on the rubber fan shroud, the fan is very powerful and will balloon the rubber shroud causing air leaks and compromising cooling it is an amazing amount of air that will bounce back off the rad fins and take the easiest route to escape. basically reducing the amount of air going through the rad which will lead to cooling troubles. sorry if you are aware of all that!
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 am

Nick Webb wrote:
BleuBlancRouge wrote:Imp006
imp.sport wrote:Interesting.

You may know already that if it was sold outside of the UK it should be badged as a Sunbeam.
Is it LHD ?
Can't tell from the photo.

The windscreen wipers show it's LHD. On RHD cars the wipers sweep in the opposite direction, and the pivot/washer jet points are inversed.
I think this is the car I saw advertised in July last year, it looked good in the photos. I seem to remember it having the export oil-bath hot/dusty conditions air-filter...very rare.
Actually the Chamois WAS sold as a Singer model in Spain - I have a brochure!!
Hi Nick,
Nice to hear that you have a Brochure from Spain, would love to have a copy of it. Is it in Spanish or English ? My car was purchased new direct from the Rootes stand at the Barcelona car show, it is one of two that were on display at the show. I also have the sales brochures from the show that came with the car. I have three different brochures that the previous owner collected at the show. The Brochure for the Singer Chamois mark2 is in English and has the state Importation duty stamps stuck to it. The second one is for the Hillman Imp Deluxe mark2 and is also in English. The third Brochure is for the Hillman Super Imp and this is the only one that is in Spanish. Curiously, the picture on this brochure shows a mk1 car.
I have seen a LHD Imp for sale in Portugal and it is badged as a Hillman. There is a Sunbeam Californian for sale here in Madrid but it has been imported to Spain from another country.
It´s nice to have somebody else to confirm of the existence of these cars. I have all the import paperwork and original log book from the car and know that it left the factory as a Singer Chamois mk2 LHD build on a mk1 shell from new. It has the export heavy duty air filter and the export stone guard under the radiator. Seems that many people think its been re-badged / re-shelled /re-registered etc.
Many thanks for your contribution. All I need now is for someone else to appear with another LHD Singer Chamois, any offers ??
Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am

moose wrote:car is looking goo, couple of tips for you lock up the rear adjusters solid and back the fronts right off when bleeding, when bled adjust up correctly, and dont forget to fit the big clips on the rubber fan shroud, the fan is very powerful and will balloon the rubber shroud causing air leaks and compromising cooling it is an amazing amount of air that will bounce back off the rad fins and take the easiest route to escape. basically reducing the amount of air going through the rad which will lead to cooling troubles. sorry if you are aware of all that!
Thanks for the info. I have bled the brakes and all seems to be good. Cant road test the car yet but the pedal has a good feel. The front and rear adjusters are now set right and the handbrake cables are also adjusted now.
With regards the fan shroud clips, I don't have them to fit as yet, but its good that you mention the problem of bad cooling. We are over 30 degrees in the shade at the moment and any info regarding efficient cooling is always welcome.
Many thanks, Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Great day today, moving forward with the Singer. :D
Put petrol in the car today, first time since 2006 ! Have had the engine running for a short time, yes it runs. The car is up on 4 axle stands and I was able to test if the clutch works. Good news is that it´s not stuck and was able to select all gears without problem. Was worried that the clutch would be stuck after such a long time. The engine seems to run OK and is not smoking so more good news there. The tappets are a bit noisy but that can be sorted later.
I brought the car as a non runner without knowing what condition the engine was in so with todays progress I'm a happy camper.
Need to fill the gearbox with new oil- any tips on how to get the oil in that hole ??? :?
The cooling circuit has only drunk approx. 4 litres of coolant so far-what's the easiest way to bleed it through ???
Paul Imp009
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 am

That sounds like great news, Paul! :mrgreen:
Spanish Singer wrote:Need to fill the gearbox with new oil- any tips on how to get the oil in that hole ??? :?
Use a bottle with a tube attached to it. Gear oil tends to come in such a bottle anyway.
Spanish Singer wrote:The cooling circuit has only drunk approx. 4 litres of coolant so far-what's the easiest way to bleed it through ???
Is the heater set to hot? If so, fill the system steadily via the radiator cap. Keep the bleed valve in the three-way union near the radiator open too. A short piece of 3/16" (I think :? ) plastic tube from the bleed valve to the radiator cap opening will also help by feeding coolant from the bleed valve back into the system. Once the system seems full, run the engine. Keep a close eye on the level of coolant and top up as necessary. Keep the bleed valve open and watch for bubbles in the coolant flowing out of it. When the bubbles stop and the level settles, the system should be full.

This sort of assumes that the vehicle is parked on level ground. Also, some older Imps had a bleed valve near the heater valve, I believe, which can help to bleed that run of the cooling circuit. If yours has one, be sure to use it. :wink:

I think that covers it. What did I miss? :lol:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 pm

ImpManiac wrote:That sounds like great news, Paul! :mrgreen:
Spanish Singer wrote:Need to fill the gearbox with new oil- any tips on how to get the oil in that hole ??? :?
Use a bottle with a tube attached to it. Gear oil tends to come in such a bottle anyway.
Spanish Singer wrote:The cooling circuit has only drunk approx. 4 litres of coolant so far-what's the easiest way to bleed it through ???
Is the heater set to hot? If so, fill the system steadily via the radiator cap. Keep the bleed valve in the three-way union near the radiator open too. A short piece of 3/16" (I think :? ) plastic tube from the bleed valve to the radiator cap opening will also help by feeding coolant from the bleed valve back into the system. Once the system seems full, run the engine. Keep a close eye on the level of coolant and top up as necessary. Keep the bleed valve open and watch for bubbles in the coolant flowing out of it. When the bubbles stop and the level settles, the system should be full.

Thanks for the guidance, very informative. Have looked at the car and I don´t have a bleed valve on the heater valve at the front of the car. Will find a piece of tube to connect the bleed valve to the radiator cap opening and hope its not blocked. Which way is open on this bleed valve ? The car is on level ground and the heater is set to hot. Just need to wait till the sun goes down (its really hot again today) to bleed it through later this evening.

The Oil is in a normal can. I am going to try to use an old washing up liquid plastic bottle to try to squeeze the oil into the gearbox.
Thanks, Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm

washing up liquid bottle worked fine to squirt the new oil into the gearbox.
Need to find some hose now to bleed the cooling system.
Paul Imp009
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Started bleeding the cooling system today and soon found out the I have a water cooled fuel tank :x The heater valve and the steel elbow that it is mounted on looks like a modification and not original. The brass valve is stuck open and the steel elbow has a pinhole in it, which sprays the fuel tank with coolant.
I have removed the elbow/valve assembly and bypassed it with a piece of steel tube for now. Don't know what the original heater valve assembly looks like so if anyone could post a picture of an original one I would be most grateful.
Now that I have had the engine running for a while I can see that it is smoking white smoke. Maybe the piston rings are stuck to the pistons after so much time standing. Hopefully when it has some use they will free themselves and its nothing more serious. Fingers crossed.
Paul Imp009
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Spanish Singer wrote:Now that I have had the engine running for a while I can see that it is smoking white smoke. Maybe the piston rings are stuck to the pistons after so much time standing. Hopefully when it has some use they will free themselves and its nothing more serious. Fingers crossed.
Paul Imp009
White smoke usually means steaming water. I think stuck rings (and worn valve guides) would create blue(-ish) smoke.
With a bit of luck it's just a matter of fitting a new head gasket.
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:19 am

hi Lars,
That's another possibility that I hadn't thought about. The fact is that as I rev the engine the amount of smoke increases and doesn´t clear. The smoke has that smell of burnt oil, and there's no coolant in the exhaust, even if I rev it hard. The car is almost ready for its first test drive so I will be able to check what happens. Will keep an eye on the Oil and Coolant levels and see if I can figure it out. Need to do a compression test to the engine and see what condition its in.
Paul Imp009
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 am

Paul, take a look at this (clicky). It is the results of an eBay search for London Taxi heater valves and the selection of images from various vendors should give you an idea of what they look like and how they work. These are not the same as the original Imp heater valves but many consider the Taxi valves to be much better made and longer lived. :)

For now, bypassing it should be fine.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Spanish Singer

Post by Spanish Singer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks for the link Paul, will look into finding an alternative as it seems the originals are not available.

Fitted a new exhaust on the car today and re-installed the heat shield plate that sits over it. After checking over everything I have finally got the wheels on and the car is off it´s 4 axle stands at last and on the ground :D
I can now see how it sits on its "Monte´s" and am pleased with the result. The camber angle is much much better than original on the front wheels. Mine has mk1 front suspension and when I got the car it had toooo much camber on the wheels. From it´s pose it reminded me of a Praying Mantis :lol:
Was the first time I have moved the car under it´s own power since I brought it as a non runner in January so well pleased there. Hopefully it wont be too long now before it can be test driven and then off to the testing station.
Still have a few things to sort out on it but the worst of it is done :D

Paul Imp009