Petula , "66" Singer

Bobbycham
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Petula , "66" Singer

Post by Bobbycham »

Thought it was about time l put something on here now that l've worked out uploading photo's to some degree, so here goes.
Made frame for rolling shell weeks ago and this last week has been the moment of truth as far as ,if it works, it holds the shell completely off the ground Imageseems to have done the job , knotted wire wheels and angle grinder were my tools and was happy with how they performed.
Patching up and welding areas once underseal was cleaned off
Imagebefore
Imageafter

I used POR 15 Treatment for the underside , two coats , then a spray of underseal , very impressed with the POR 15 l painted a strip of steel yesterday just to show my son it's qualities and bent the strip several times (very tightly )even put it in a vice and squashed it flat and the paint never cracked (at all) anywhere. Brilliant stuff, l bought two quart tins of it , rather have too much than not enough and have used one can for the whole of floor pan (two coats)and am leaving wheel arches and engine bay till later and that can be done at home.
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
ImpManiac

Re: Petula , "66" Singer

Post by ImpManiac »

That all sounds... and looks good. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dion
Car Model: 68 Chamois Mk2, 68 Husky

Post by Dion »

Bobbycham wrote:Made frame for rolling shell weeks ago and this last week has been the moment of truth as far as ,if it works, it holds the shell completely off the ground
A very clever device!
Where did you get the quarter round heavy steel sections from?
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Dion
Heavy duty steel curved section was flame cut to my drawing by local steel suppliers , will probably now sell the frame (or try) as l don't intend needing to use it again, would offer it to you first but don't think you'll want to drive to Wiltshire to collect it from where you are,but it does flat pack as they say.
Cheers Bob
Imp003
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
sammy the sturgeon
Club Member: No
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

Good to see some pictures Bob
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

sammy the sturgeon wrote:Good to see some pictures Bob
AT LAST !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jakjak
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by jakjak »

Awesome! Floor looks amazing! Think I might go get myself some POR 15. Heard nothing but good things about it
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Here's some more pic's of Pets parts ,Powder coated suspension parts plus , Powder coated wheels (see how they look once they're on) blasted and painted 2 lots of engine bay parts and picture of her on temporary suspension , first time she's been on her own wheels in something like 18-20 years, Major hole in cill, cut for inspection purposes, Fiesta seats just thrown in, maybe not everyones cup of tea but i like them and they are good nick and were cheapish

Next jobs dry fitting of doors and lids ready for spray job
Bob Imp003
long_gone_John
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John »

I feel the word 'SORTED!!'...... kinda fits, here :wink:

Nah messinn wivv it, eh?

Good to see another roaring on (not looking for a £300 16V to spice things up are you.... :lol: )

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

:o Those suspension and engine bay bits and pieces are shiny! Money well spent, I'd say. :mrgreen: The bodyshell is looking really good too.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
jakjak
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by jakjak »

Love all the newly refurbished components! How does it feel to see her back on her wheels and rolling about? Keep up the good work mate! :D
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Thanks Alan, hope you can find a suitable replacement before Sept.
Petula , has a mass of new parts piled up ready for the rebuild, acquired split rear seats that are a fairly good match with the Fiesta Mk6 front seats .
Still busy trying to increase the respray kitty, which is going quite well as l'm not dipping into it so often to buy other bits for her, as l've got most of stuff l think l'll need for rebuild.
Just ordered material to make another turning frame ,(sold original) as l've decided it is so much work fitting all new pipe work and parts under the car , but with car on its side it's not a back breaking job ,so going to get her sprayed then turn her on her side and finish build of all undercarriage while sat on drive .
Still have to decide on colour scheme .

Bob
Imp003
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Been giving alot of thought to colour of car , initially ,plan was two tone blue, but that has now changed,
Below is a test piece for intended colours , looking at blue for lower section of car and green for top half , splitting colours at line of front (bonnet) , interested to have some feedback as to others thoughts on our choice?
Trying for an unusual insert for between chrome strips, need to leave out in all weathers for a while to see what affect it has on it ,hence the test piece to leave outside (not that Petula is going to be out in all weathers)

Still getting pennys together for spray job, but other minor parts being prepared, looking into making some stainless steel steering arms utilising the Fiesta track rod ends.
Bob
Imp003 Imp005
Pog
Car Model: 1969 Super 'Betty'

Post by Pog »

Thanks for directing me here Bob. The work you're doing looks great. I love the reconditioned parts, very smart indeed. That frame is some clever engineering too, how many people does it take to roll it safely?

Interested in the undersealing, as that'd certainly be something I'd do when I get started (eventually).. did you brush or spray the POR15?
Young Imp Members Registrar
Pog
Car Model: 1969 Super 'Betty'

Post by Pog »

Forgot to mention.. as for the colour, I can't help but picture this:

(I'm sorry, couldn't help myself :lol: )
Young Imp Members Registrar
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for that, was thinking ,should l need to buy a red nose and large red shoes and colourful clothes , that's why l asked for some feedback as to what other thought, not that it'll change my mind , everyone has differing ideas and views on how to restore cars ,original,customised,etc etc, l'm looking for something a bit different , that's all.

Rolling frame makes it so easy, most you will see on here make them out of engine stands so that you can turn whole car like a rotisserie , it only needs two to roll the car, if you want it the other way round you put car up right on stands and reposition frame other way around.
Highly recommend the POR 15 we brushed it on , it's light sensitive so needs to be painted over but we used underseal.
Bob Imp003 Imp005
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

I'll be honest, Bob... I'm not keen on the two tone blue/green. Oxford blue (dark) or Loch Blue (light/mid) look best on Chammys IMHO...

Or maybe both :idea:
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Blue and green... :? Not for me either. :wink: It's personal choice, though, really. You should stick with your vision for the car. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

I agree with Tim and Paul on the colours mate. Those 2 particular colours would do the car no favours. If I was doing a Rootes Chamois right now I`d go for the yellowy/green shade of McGills from Man In A Suitcase. 8)
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

A girl one said to me - when i turned up for a date - 'Blue and green should never be seen, except with something in between' I said i would go and change- she may still be waiting for me to return!!
It's up to you mate what colour you do your car, certain colours for certain people
I cant stand brown and green together - but thats just because it reminds me of a choking incident as a child involving a chocolate lime, I still shudder if ever i see the colours together. makes no sense,
choose what you want Bob then you will be happy with it

paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
GeoffFarthing

Post by GeoffFarthing »

Our Stiletto is running a few weeks (or Months) ahead of you with the body work completed all the suspension and brakes overhauled and fitted, piped, loomed and ready for new vynil roof and glazing.
The turnover stand made life easy however it is now surplus to requirements as noway am I going to do another project.
It is a C.J Autos http://www.cjautos.eu NBN Hravy Duty (2500 Kgs.) Rollover Stand CT 05 complete with Imp Adaptors, a Universal Adaptor Bars to bolt on any other adaptors that you may make, wheels and Tie Bars.
Geoff.F
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

P8040078.JPG
P8040077.JPG
P7230003.JPG
AT LAST !!!!!
Petula is now in bodyshop , really going to town on her as photo's show after a trip to Malcolms.
Final colour scheme is now chosen, not as previously seen (sample on rear end of near side in picture)
As l'm spending quite a bit on car now it was decided to go for something safer.
Car will be shot blasted completely now as money is available to do it right .
Bloke in bodyshop was amazed by how much lead he had to remove on bodywork.
Now it's started l should be able to update a bit more often.

Bob Imp005
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Leading is normal on an IMP body around the door top to wing area at least, thats how they did it, its not a bodge, its more permanent than the usual filler and wont crack, its worth putting back when youre re preparing the body :wink:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

P8050089.JPG
P8050087.JPG
More pics of progress today, quite pleased how inner seal looks , going to replaced patched up area on outside of floor panel , spoken to Simon about purchasing panels today , going to sort next week.
They were amazed when i told them there were no fuses on Imps when l pointed out wiring loom in sill, along with rope and oil gauge pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

P8060101.JPG
P8060100.JPG
P8060099.JPG
Bodyshop asked about panel from lower rear quarter to chassis today , picture shows near side there is a panel , but off side (below battery shelf) there is no panel ? My theory is that under battery shelf has probably rotted away at some time and has never been replaced, l have asked them to put one in if only for rigidity of lower quarter purposes, would that be correct , they asked if any where available , i assume as they are easily made none are available to buy , (correct?)
Picture 3 shows panel , should there be one on opposite side?
Look at that earlier repair panel :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

No similar closing panel was fitted under the battery side, just the battery tray only, and indeed on the later IMPs they did away with the closing panel on the nearside too, they are just left open, how you have it is correct for yours.
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

P8200060.JPG
Look new shiny pieces ,arrived today (thanks Simon).
Just trying to get my head around new wiring ,and best way of approaching the job.
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Bobbycham wrote:
P8200060.JPG
Look new shiny pieces ,arrived today (thanks Simon).
Just trying to get my head around new wiring ,and best way of approaching the job.
Buy a new loom from someone like Autosparks and ask them to do it with fuses for you is the best option if your original is a bit rough or damaged.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

The Nun wrote:
Bobbycham wrote:Buy a new loom from someone like Autosparks and ask them to do it with fuses for you is the best option if your original is a bit rough or damaged.
But not as much fun! :!: I enjoy wiring but I know it's not for everyone. As you suggest, Peter, sometimes, it's best to give a task to an expert. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

I find Wiring very therapeutic and rewarding ( when it works :wink: )
I made my own for the Singer and made the rear loom on the Vusky followed by a fused front end later
Formally known as " Noddy "
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

I agree with Noddy, theres nothing quite like doing it all yourself and the satisfaction that can bring when the jobs done, you can save a considerable amount of money on the labour involved.
Problem with the wiring, unless you work somewhere that happens to do vehicle wiring its getting hold of all the correct colour wires without having to buy reels of the stuff.
An alternative is to get another loom from another IMP of the same period and use parts of that one to repair or restore your own?
Of course you could make up your own using your own colour coding and/or number tags on the wires and provided you make a wiring diagram as you go you shouldnt have any problems in the future fault finding.
Dont do it all in unlabeled black wires :lol:
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

This probably looks a bit odd, in as much as we had already tackled the underside of the car and used the POR15
which i was really impressed with, and car went into bodyshop just for respray , it has now gone back a stage and whole car will be shot blasted and new panels fitted where needed, this is due to change in finance situation (for the better)
so shell is being repaired by experts (mates rates) and l am really looking forward to the proper rebuild.

Got a few ideas about the rewiring , but am coming round to idea of rewiring with fuse boxes and different colours than original , was thinking of multicore cable (trailer 7 core) but think l'll probably need about a dozen different cables passing through sill so probably best to use single cables ,as wiring loom and not multicore.
Could anyone confirm that there should be 11-12 cables in original loom .
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG
Work progressing steadily, really going to town on making best job possible (unless you know otherwise?)
Ready for shot blasting soon.
Bob
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

That blue nylon rope won't work as either wiring loom or heater hose I'm afraid, you'll have to re-think it! :lol:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

The car looks good. It looks to me as though you are doing a thorough job. Or your bodywork guy is. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Yeah, Dave who's doing all the repair to bodywork comes over to my unit and watches admiringly what l'm machining on various machines, and says do you want to come and see what l've been doing? i then go over to his unit and admire what he's achieving. I'm just leaving it to them to crack on with it, Bigger job than l was expecting , but car will outlive me and l can hand it to our new Grandson or that's what l'm thinking .
Bob
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

More pic's of work being carried out , just put 460 pic's on computer, this was a really good shell , but it's surprising how many repair pieces have been made, really running up the cost as it's in bodyshop. Too much really! :o :o
Hoping to have finished repairs this week ready for shot blasting which hopefully won't highlight many more problems.
At least car will be in fit state to hand over to grandson in 20 odd years time , all being well, she's survived 50 years so this should give her another 50.

Still on a timetable to have her back home for Christmas , making room for an E Type.
IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker »

She's looking a lot better ,nice to see her being restored correctly.As for the colour I am having mine lime green it won't be everyones cup of tea but if you've brought her back to life then paint her whatever bl***y colour you like :-)
Gary
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Your body shop appear to be doing a great job with the shell. :D The car should look great when it's done.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

PC110099.JPG
Nice new bits arrived today (rear hatch stays) from Andy (617sqn)
Really impressed with them . :D :D
Won't be getting car back for christmas , so make do with this early present.
Was wondering how to make interior look as good as exterior is going to look, so these make a good start.

Bob
Imp005
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Wow ! :shock: How nice are they ? :D I'm sure they will do Petula proud when she comes home, Bob. I've just been re-reading this thread, and you are doing a fabulous job there. How close is she to a return home ?

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Yeah ! Must agree about the new parts. :lol: :lol:
Body shop has always hoped for Christmas return to make way for E Type , that's out of window now, just about all body repairs are done, ready now for shot blasting and see what else raises its ugly head to be repaired.
Once that's over with it's complete respray and underseal ,then l can have it back to do the spanner work and interior.
Bob
Imp005
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Nice. Can't wait to see more. Can't you get any up to date photos uploaded ?

Andy G.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Bobbycham wrote:Body shop has always hoped for Christmas return to make way for E Type , that's out of window now...
Yeah but which Christmas? :roll: :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

]Petula has been blasted this week , uncovered a few more areas to be delt with but nothing too bad, (hopefully)
hadn't really inspected suspension mounts at front but now they've been blasted they look fine :D .
area of concern is off side rear window gutter trim (pictured) lots of filler in there and holes in metalwork, was intending putting chrome trim back on to gutter , haven't spoken to bodyshop about repairs to that area yet.
bloke that blasted it said that he blasts lots of classic cars and in his opinion it was one of the best 50 year old cars he has blasted(good quality steel) so that pleased me
P3040006.JPG
P3040007.JPG[/attachment [attachment=0]P3040008.JPG
IMG_20160303_104741410.jpg
IMG_20160303_104631447.jpg

And NO it's not a Hot Wheels wheel stuck in the wheel arch before you ask :lol: :lol:

Getting there! :D
Bob
Imp005
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Haha, excellent shot that :D It does look odd and Hot Wheels-like too. Glad that she's in fine fettle generally : Makes the reconstruction that much less of a financial and time consuming strain, eh ? Good on her 8)

Andy G. Image Stan
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Looks like you have a nice, solid basis for a lovely Imp there, bobbycham. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

tiker wrote:.As for the colour I am having mine lime green it
Limelight is an Ace colour for a Stiletto .
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

IMG_20160329_115159705.jpg
IMG_20160329_115205480.jpg
Popped in to bodyshop to see what plans they had for the trickier repairs to gutter trim area only to find that Dave was well on the way with that section , cut out all the rot and replacing with small sections, amazing how many sections needing work on after the shot blasting highlighted them, you can see the section of angle resting on the rear cross rail of bodywork
IMG_20160329_115219935.jpg
Near side window upright also need work
IMG_20160329_115407195.jpg
IMG_20160329_115230807.jpg
Lots of little sections like this.
Can't wait to get to the point where there's paint on it.
Bob
Imp005
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

It'll be a long but rewarding road. :) Keep us posted! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison