Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto!

Dom
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Re: Dom's Sunbeam Stiletto Resto

Post by Dom »

Hello all, havent posted anything in ages, lots to update you all on, but with my busy job i havent had the time :(

things have gone from good to bad. and i cant be bothered with it all right now... did my first propper trial in my imp today, and this is how it ended....

I almost cried when i realised what i did... it just sucks, spent all this time on it, not even drivven it on a road, and now this.... Fekin tree...

Good night. :evil:
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
Dom

Re: Dom's Stiletto Resto (PASSED MY TEST!)

Post by Dom »

What an amazing first day behind the wheel! the sense of freedom is amazing! love my imp, love being able to drive, been so worth the wait, and all the effort put in to restoring my car! had so many people stopping to take photos, and talking to me about the car, all my friends loved it! today has only been one day of many to come, cant bloddy wait :D :D :D

Here is a pic of me behind the wheels paying for my macdonalds! this just says it all ;)

MASSIVE THANKS! to all who has helped me along the way! today, finnaly being able to drive the car i have spent so many hours on restoring, has just made it all worth while! :) thanks again guys :D
Dom Smith
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Dom wrote: Image

Here is a pic of me behind the wheels paying for my macdonalds! this just says it all ;)
Blimey Don, enjoy your car yes but if you want more street cred then I suggest you pay for that with cash next time. :shock: :roll:
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hello all!

Just did something I have been waiting years to do! I went for a drive with my dad! :D been waiting nearly 9 years to do this!

Was great fun! And can't wait to drive in convoys with the rest of the imp club!
Dom Smith
Dom

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto

Post by Dom »

Hello all! yes its a been a while im sorry! i am still here and still using my imp as a daily car! in the 3 months i have been driving i have broken down 3 times, and only not been able to fix it by the road side once! so going pretty well i think ;)

bits tend to fall of the car every day, but it so far has never failed to get me to work! :) facing the prices of flue and MOT's new tyres doughnuts ect, but with working in a garage, everything seems to fall in to place nicely, and mostly cheaply! :D

Finnaly been putting some money in to the car to get it all up altogether :)

This includes, new 28/36 twin choke carb + manifold, lumination system, Adjustable spax's all round, New BMW dounuts and some NICE comfy seats!

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/DomSmith1996/media/A433F965-B429-44EC-A408-0F45A0DBD733-11128-000001443649923A_zps9a5ce666.jpg.html]Image

As many of you noticed i wasn't acumpined by my dad at the national this year, i ASSURE you, things are looking up at home at the moment and we BOTH will be at WWW! :) which being my first imp event i am extremely excited for! :D

hope to se you all there! :)
Dom Smith
Dom

Post by Dom »

More work going on! small front rad conversion! I'm sure lots of people will tell me this is wrong and not the way to do it but I'm proud of this, still got my Heater matrix in, just bypassed it, no through ventilation at the moment, the rad is from a small motor cross bike I believe

Dom Smith
Gaffer
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and an Imp project

Post by Gaffer »

Hi Dom
No one will say it's wrong. No one can say it's wrong. We all do things that may 'not be the norm' but isn't that how Hartwell, Bevan etc or even Andy get things done. Try things and if they work, all well and good.
I have also done the same alteration on my Stiletto. It did make a big difference. I wouldn't totally rely on it if i was thrashing a 998, but for the 930 sport, it works really well. I also have a small 'booster' pump inline to help push it round the heater circuit. I 'teed' into the heater line both sides. I have even put an inline On / Off valve inline, but it's never been in the Off position. I just 'switch' on the pump if temp starts to creep up. :lol:
Did you sort your speedo cable out :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trying to keep the faith.
Dom

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto (Head gasket...)

Post by Dom »

Hey guys, gonna call this fixing a problem which is allreaddy solved... Basically I have had head gasket problems on my engine, but with a sneaky suspicion there could be bent valves... and with WWW just around the corner it wassnt taking any chances, so after another imp member towed me home on mid day on Sunday, I spent the rest of the day taking two engines out, and putting one back in, my dad was kind enough to lend me his engine from his currently SORN'd red imp sport, by the end of Sunday evening I had the new engine back in but was to tired to get it running!
Engine back in and all running, needs a good clean!

se you all at WWW!
Dom Smith
Dom

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto, still here!

Post by Dom »

Hello all, this time last year I was posting 3 posts a day and hundreds of pictures a week! But with the salt and the grit on the road in letting the imp hibernate!

I have a 930 in the pipe line and I'm trying to sort the linkage out for my 28/36 webber!

Still really enjoying my job and have been spending allot of monney on tools! Currerntly saving up for a new tool box and I'm pretty skint at the moment! But we plod on :)

New car is lush and really enjoying it! But as I'm sure you all with agree its no way near as fun to drive then the imp!

I Finnaly got round to taking the head of my original sport engine that blew days before WWW and I will post pics bellow of what I found!

Just letting all you impers know, I'm Still here :)

Dom Smith
Dom

Post by Dom »

Woohoo! New tool box has arrived!

Officially broke!

Ah well :) looking forward to Christmas! More tools! ;)
Dom Smith
Dom

Post by Dom »

hey all! very happy to say that work starts (or continues?) on the imp!

Need to get it ready for this season of events! so my list of things to do is as follows! :
Remove front wishbones,
De-rust all areas + wax oil.
Fit new steering rack
Fit new steering rack u bolts
do the wheel alignment
bleed brakes
Buy + fit new front tyres
Fit new O/S/F stub axle
Fit 930 engine
Fit 28/36 Webber + new accelerator cable
Fit new wind screen seal + make car water tight!

will keep you updated! work has all reddy started!

Imp in its new (small) garage
Imp at the paul walker tribute in gloster
work starts
rack out, but cant get to undo these bolts so have to take the front wishbones off :/
wish bones off, next is to get the two bolts shown in previous pic welded to the cover plate to make them captive bolts, then wax oil + derust all bits, and refit with new steering rack :)
New bolts from mike dent to be fitted, the old ones had rounded off!
this is what you get if you drive around with camber!

more pics and info to follow guys :) thanks all!
Imp029
Dom Smith
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hello all! much progress :)

Painted and underseald, one of the drums (so far) and springs.
Looking like a mini pit crew ;) fitted the new tyres at work on saturday
New boot to be fitted
all fitted and back in!

So the whole reason for doing this was to lose the play in the rack, sadly the play is still there... i did tighten up the the flat head on the rack very slightly... so maybe i will try and do it up abit more! but first i want to make sure its the rack and not a track rod end or anything else, so will recruit a friend to go in the pit and find out what is making the play!

More problems...
turns out the tracking is out by ridiculous amounts... so will have to get the tracking done!

More more problems...
for six months i have been driving with a bent spider, it was the O/S/R Gear box side one. and this is the result, i still stand by BMW Doughnuts! the only reason this happened is because it was under so much more stress because of the bent spider. the one on the other side is fine! :) i have some compition ones lying around so will use them and keep these as a spare.

Got the brakes bled today and they havent felt that good in ages! haven't even adjusted them up yet! also, found some patches of rust so i de rusted them and wax oiled over the top. got a few bits left to do, going to get the wind screen re sealed instead of having a new seal fitted, as i was advised by a local expert window fitter.
still waiting for my 930, and before that gets finished there aren't lots of big things I can do until that arrives

Will be keeping you updated :) feels good to be getting the car done properly, as i don't need it as a daily car, its nice to be able to take my time with it!

thanks all Imp029
Dom Smith
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto!

Post by mikeyhearne »

Hi Dom
the pic I took of your roof on Sunday morning at WWW
Mikey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
Dom

Post by Dom »

Pic
Dom Smith
Dom

Post by Dom »

Pic 2
Dom Smith