Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto!

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Dom
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto

Post by Dom »

Well, still enjoying (ish) the imp... i have good days and bad ones... but winters coming, and deciding weather or not i will run the car over the winter...

saddly i have found a few holes in the imp, and sadly i am getting sick of how much it leaks...

got in it to go to work the other morning, and had no clutch! the peddle came back up, but there was no pressure! but after a good bleed of the slave cylinder it is now fine and better than ever! unlike before hand when i had to pump the clutch each morning to get it to work!

i can happily say that it starts better now! but need to tune it properly, and it needs a good service to be honest... hoping to find some time to do all this before WWW among other bits to get it looking and working well!

it handles like a shed atm... i clearly haven't adjusted the new SPAX's properly, and its to low at the front... all the brakes need bleeding and setting up properly, as well as hand brake adjusting, its also probably going to need some new tyres shortly! £££££££££££

love the car to bits, but its a paint in the arse, it looks good in photos but up close its terrible... dont have enough time, money, and tbh i am scared i am going to brake stuff when trying to fix it or make it better...

had no luck with the illumination system, for some reason it just dose not work... could possibly need a new eye!

no luck with my 28/36 webber either, the linkage isnt working right, and havent got round to having a propper play with it and sort it out...

Currently in the proses of moving house with my mum, further away from my garage with all the tools in, but only up the road really!

On a lighter note i am really looking forward to WWW, i have also started collage and i am 'officially' the apprentice! and have been working at this garage for 6 months today!

Hopefully things will look up and get better soon! thanks all! se you all at WWW :)
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

The only thing you can do, Dom, is to work through the problems methodically. :) I'd make a list and prioritise. For example, the leaking windows and doors are getting you down, so prioritise them. Anything safety-related - brakes, suspension, etc. - should get a high priority too. Then fix the presumably more minor issues, like the Weber linkage, etc. It sounds as though your clutch hydraulic system has a slow leak too.

As you work through the list and fix things, the car will improve and you will feel better about it. :D That will motivate you to work on the other issues. Eventually, you will have been through all the problems and you will enjoy the car more than ever. You WILL get there with it. The important thing is to start somewhere and to make an impact on one of the problems.

Keep at it! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

I think if we are all being honest, yes you can run an Imp everyday - BUT, they are getting very old now and will need even more work to keep on top of the issues than when they new.

I gave up running mine every day some time ago for this very reason - this and the fact you can buy a very good 15-year old Jap/German car for a few hundred quid that will be 100% reliable, have a good heater, be quicker than a standard/sport Imp and comfy. Plus the bits are cheap - especially for VWs...

Coupes leak like sieves - period. I've owned *a lot* of Californians and Stilettos (plus one Chamois Coupe) and without exception they leaked in the rain or if you washed them too hard! And leaky cars are hideous in mid winter... been there done that. I also avoid aftermarket crap these days - leccy ignition, Spax (sorry but I utterly detest Spax front dampers - they are too hard), etc and try to keep the Imps working on NOS OE stuff as far as I can.

If you can keep on top of the maintenance, the Imp will be fine- however, if you just want to turn the key and go... I'd suggest a 15year old Jap or German car, and keep the Imp tucked up safe and warm for the winter. Then use the Imp for fun...

My 2p. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Post by pubcrawler »

impmann wrote:I think if we are all being honest, yes you can run an Imp everyday - BUT, they are getting very old now and will need even more work to keep on top of the issues than when they new.
I think that could be said of any classic car, I wouldn't like to run my imp as an every day car :o
I spend too much time in the garage as it is :lol:
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Indeed. A big part of the problem is the rubbish quality of many replacement parts. I say that whilst thinking about the "Lucas" boxed ignition components, for example, which are totally unfit for purpose. :roll: These make trying to run a classic as a daily much more difficult, which is sad.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

I don't run mine everyday either for the same reasons as most, yet of those that do run one as a daily are mostly younger lads.
I can safely say that if i had my 20s over again I would have an Imp as an everyday car. Imps are still cool and have always had a cult status that lives on.
It wouldn't be as nice looking as Dons though. It takes a lot of effort to keep any car of that age looking smart and reliable. Useable is more attainable.
An Imp for fun is only justifiable to me because of how determined I am to keep it that way. Even I have questioned that at times.
There are plenty of owners with unfinished projects that have fell short of that.
Don has learned a lot in a very short time and credit to him, he listens to the advice he gets. Not all young uns do.
I recon he may have some regrets not having it as an everyday car, yet it is his decision. Hope it works out for him. :mrgreen:
scottf
Car Model: 1 IMP SUPER 1 IMP CALEDONIAN 2 CLAN CRUSADERS

Post by scottf »

Hi there i run my imp every day back and forth to work take it on holiday towing my trailer tent do autotests etc etc it does everything i ask of it ive been running an imp since 1995 when back then it was just a daily driver to me i did not know about the whole imp club thing .Well here i am all these years later still doing the same thing yes every couple of years i take the car off the road for a short time to tidy it up etc but on the whole its constantly in use i have never failed to get home in all these years (there will come a time when something goes bang and im stuck ) but until that day i will continue to give it stick every time i go out in it ha ha .I do not see any reason why more classic car owners cant use there cars as everyday transport after all modern cars are so boring .Routine maintanance and fixing any wee niggle that crops are the key to everyday reliablity my car has a standard 875 sport 28/36 carb with rear rad and luminition ign, disc brakes and 2 speed wipers its great on fuel starts first time every morning and makes me smile every time i get in it Imp003 Imp009 Clan004 Clan004
clansman
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

scottf wrote:Hi there i run my imp every day back and forth to work take it on holiday towing my trailer tent do autotests etc etc it does everything i ask of it ive been running an imp since 1995 when back then it was just a daily driver to me i did not know about the whole imp club thing .Well here i am all these years later still doing the same thing yes every couple of years i take the car off the road for a short time to tidy it up etc but on the whole its constantly in use i have never failed to get home in all these years (there will come a time when something goes bang and im stuck ) but until that day i will continue to give it stick every time i go out in it ha ha .I do not see any reason why more classic car owners cant use there cars as everyday transport after all modern cars are so boring .Routine maintanance and fixing any wee niggle that crops are the key to everyday reliablity my car has a standard 875 sport 28/36 carb with rear rad and luminition ign, disc brakes and 2 speed wipers its great on fuel starts first time every morning and makes me smile every time i get in it Imp003 Imp009 Clan004 Clan004
Good for you,well done 8)
Martin Parkes.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Yeah, Good on yer Scott,

I would run an Imp VAN as an everyday vehicle, if I could find one I could afford to buy ! I'd gladly swap it for my modern Astra van as my business vehicle if it were possible. Few and far between unfortunately, and expensive once you've found one for sale anyway. I wouldn't have the time nor space to rebuild a naff one so that's out of the question too............. I'll dream on for that lottery win :)

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Resto (Head gasket...)

Post by basil imp »

I used to use mind everyday and loved it - difference is by the sounds of it mine was rot free and never really wanted for anything. 10,000 miles 18 months and it broke down once (rotoflex bolt broke 1 mile from home)

So once the rot has gone and you've got a reliable set up you'll be laughing :D (however I'd ditch the 28/36 - never got on with mine, clearance issues with filters, linkages were a pain (mine had nowhere to mount a linkage so had to make my own) and scarce parts. Get some su's and get them adapted to fit (or even a single su on a manifold?) even better a single 40 ;) easy to get parts for and simple!
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey guys, gonna call this fixing a problem which is allreaddy solved... Basically I have had head gasket problems on my engine, but with a sneaky suspicion there could be bent valves... and with WWW just around the corner it wassnt taking any chances, so after another imp member towed me home on mid day on Sunday, I spent the rest of the day taking two engines out, and putting one back in, my dad was kind enough to lend me his engine from his currently SORN'd red imp sport, by the end of Sunday evening I had the new engine back in but was to tired to get it running!
Engine back in and all running, needs a good clean!

se you all at WWW!
Dom Smith
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Nice one Cyril!
You'll have good and bad times as with most mechanical/electrical things and not only cars. Once you've done more than your share of engine and tranny swaps and rewires you'll have it sussed. You might even get a whole year without an issue!
BTW that's some length of tow rope there mate, or is it an illusion?!
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Well done Dom, just what's needed a nice restful Sunday :lol: :roll: :lol:
I wish i'd have got my engine out now instead of watching the F1 Grand Prix :roll: :|
Martin Parkes.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Sadly will no longer be using my imp as a daily driver, will still be insured on it I just don't want to rouion it over the winter!

Here is my new car :)

Dom Smith
pubcrawler

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto Restored, new car!

Post by pubcrawler »

Nice choice for the winter months Dom, love the colour :D
Have to agree keep the Sunbeam as a hobby and use it in the better weather.........nice to have a good heater as well :lol:
Martin Parkes.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

You're a sensible fellow, Dom. That should be a nice runabout for the autumn and winter months. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Good decision Dom. :D
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith »

Nice car Dom... really nice colour. I did wonder what you were going to show us when I saw the title "new car!"..

How is the Stiletto after WWW? Is it running OK, it was sounding a bit poorly as you left?

Phil
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Good choice, Dom. We had a Seat Ibiza before we got 'Fred' - utterly brilliant car, super reliable and cheap to run. One piece of advice, if the clutch pedal is heavy , try changing the clutch cable. We ignored ours being super heavy... until the clutch pedal snapped! This is quite common in Ibizas/Polos/Golfs as the pedal is not very heavy duty...
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

That's strange Dom, I had one of those before I got an imp on the road :lol:
Dom

Re: Dom's Subeam Stiletto, still here!

Post by Dom »

Hello all, this time last year I was posting 3 posts a day and hundreds of pictures a week! But with the salt and the grit on the road in letting the imp hibernate!

I have a 930 in the pipe line and I'm trying to sort the linkage out for my 28/36 webber!

Still really enjoying my job and have been spending allot of monney on tools! Currerntly saving up for a new tool box and I'm pretty skint at the moment! But we plod on :)

New car is lush and really enjoying it! But as I'm sure you all with agree its no way near as fun to drive then the imp!

I Finnaly got round to taking the head of my original sport engine that blew days before WWW and I will post pics bellow of what I found!

Just letting all you impers know, I'm Still here :)

Dom Smith
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Good supply of toolboxes there Dom , one for each day of the week then , just got to unpack them?
Mind you, price of them , you could buy an Imp.
Bob
Imp005 Imp003
Last edited by Bobbycham on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith »

Hi Dom

Good to hear from you.

It's no wonder that you're skint if you've bought that many toolboxes!

You can never have too many tools.

Phil
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
Dom

Post by Dom »

haha i haven't bought it yet! that is the tool box in the shop that i am looking at ;)
Dom Smith
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Dom wrote:Still really enjoying my job and have been spending allot of monney on tools! Currerntly saving up for a new tool box and I'm pretty skint at the moment! But we plod on :)
If you need tools for your job did you know you can get the tax back you pay on them ?
Its worth keeping receipts but I have heard of at least 1 case where assessment of value was done.
Maybe you will get the toolbox quicker than you think :wink:

Keep at it Dom :D
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Dom
Whatever box you buy , give it a few years and it won't be big enough. So if you can get one that you can add to by hanging another on the side ,go for it.
Fatherly advice.
Bob
Imp005 Imp003
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

It's good to hear from you, Dom. :D

Tooling up can certainly be very expensive. One approach is to buy tools as and when you need them. That way, you avoid buying stuff you are unlikely to actually use, which is a risk and a bit of a waste of money! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dom

Post by Dom »

Woohoo! New tool box has arrived!

Officially broke!

Ah well :) looking forward to Christmas! More tools! ;)
Dom Smith
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

A good rule of thumb is: If you need to borrow a particular tool from a colleague more than once, you need to buy one for yourself. :wink:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

A good rule of thumb is: If you need to borrow a particular tool from a colleague more than once, you need to buy one for yourself
Notwithstanding the opportunity to, er... "forget to give it back". :roll:

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Jordythejeweller
Club Member: No
Car Model: Singer chamois

Post by Jordythejeweller »

Awesome thread ! Keep the pictures coming !
It's roadworthy !!!! .... Hope all the Sellotape holds lol
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James »

617sqn wrote:
A good rule of thumb is: If you need to borrow a particular tool from a colleague more than once, you need to buy one for yourself

Andy G. Image
You mean borrowing it on a more permanent basis :lol:
:wink:
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
Dom

Post by Dom »

17James wrote:
617sqn wrote:

Andy G. Image
You mean borrowing it on a more permanent basis :lol:
:wink:
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
thats just what i do with my dads tools! ;)
Dom Smith
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

"For evaluation purposes..." :wink: :wink:

:mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
andy
Car Model: Imp, Husky, AA Van

Post by andy »

Evaluation :shock: feels more like Evolution :D :lol: :P

Andy
Van001 Imp009 Husky006
www.imps.me.uk
64 Hillman Imp, 65 AA Commer Van , 69 Deluxe (for sale), 71 Hillman Husky.
www.andysmith.me.uk
Dom

Post by Dom »

hey all! very happy to say that work starts (or continues?) on the imp!

Need to get it ready for this season of events! so my list of things to do is as follows! :
Remove front wishbones,
De-rust all areas + wax oil.
Fit new steering rack
Fit new steering rack u bolts
do the wheel alignment
bleed brakes
Buy + fit new front tyres
Fit new O/S/F stub axle
Fit 930 engine
Fit 28/36 Webber + new accelerator cable
Fit new wind screen seal + make car water tight!

will keep you updated! work has all reddy started!

Imp in its new (small) garage
Imp at the paul walker tribute in gloster
work starts
rack out, but cant get to undo these bolts so have to take the front wishbones off :/
wish bones off, next is to get the two bolts shown in previous pic welded to the cover plate to make them captive bolts, then wax oil + derust all bits, and refit with new steering rack :)
New bolts from mike dent to be fitted, the old ones had rounded off!
this is what you get if you drive around with camber!

more pics and info to follow guys :) thanks all!
Imp029
Dom Smith
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

Good to see your progress, Dom

Hope it's back on the road soon.

Graham
Graham Anderson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Great to see some progress, Dom. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hello all! much progress :)

Painted and underseald, one of the drums (so far) and springs.
Looking like a mini pit crew ;) fitted the new tyres at work on saturday
New boot to be fitted
all fitted and back in!

So the whole reason for doing this was to lose the play in the rack, sadly the play is still there... i did tighten up the the flat head on the rack very slightly... so maybe i will try and do it up abit more! but first i want to make sure its the rack and not a track rod end or anything else, so will recruit a friend to go in the pit and find out what is making the play!

More problems...
turns out the tracking is out by ridiculous amounts... so will have to get the tracking done!

More more problems...
for six months i have been driving with a bent spider, it was the O/S/R Gear box side one. and this is the result, i still stand by BMW Doughnuts! the only reason this happened is because it was under so much more stress because of the bent spider. the one on the other side is fine! :) i have some compition ones lying around so will use them and keep these as a spare.

Got the brakes bled today and they havent felt that good in ages! haven't even adjusted them up yet! also, found some patches of rust so i de rusted them and wax oiled over the top. got a few bits left to do, going to get the wind screen re sealed instead of having a new seal fitted, as i was advised by a local expert window fitter.
still waiting for my 930, and before that gets finished there aren't lots of big things I can do until that arrives

Will be keeping you updated :) feels good to be getting the car done properly, as i don't need it as a daily car, its nice to be able to take my time with it!

thanks all Imp029
Dom Smith
67cali
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van 1969 (G)

Post by 67cali »

Nice one dom, its good to see young folk getting their hands dirty and involved with keeping an old car on the road. The club and the car needs people like you. Glad to see it's all coming back together.
Meerkat Pete

Return to “Readers Cars”