1973 Imp Deluxe

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

DIB69
Club Member: No
Car Model: Hillman Imp Deluxe

1973 Imp Deluxe

Post by DIB69 »

Hi, Thought some of you may be interested in my newly acquired 1973 Imp Deluxe. It's a three owner car with an alleged 66k on the clock. It runs very well and is currently in to get some paintwork freshened up. I am new to Imps but have a Mini Cooper so you could say I have a foot in both camps!
I have added a set of minilites and am planning a few more sensible period mods after I have serviced it and carried out a few other jobs.

I am based in Renfrewshire and would be interested in hearing fellow Imp enthusiasts opinions!
Imp007

'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
kilty
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

Re: 1973 Imp Deluxe

Post by kilty »

Welcome to the world of Imp! Join the club asap and you`ll be well away. Smart looking car you`ve got, in a cool, much liked colour. There are plenty of clued-up folks up your way, most of them visit the forum regularly. :wink:

Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

Nice looking Imp, welcome to the forum. As Drew says, join the club!! There's quite a few Impers in Scotland so you're in good company.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
long_gone_John
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John »

Hmmmm....

what's the story with the N/S rear wheelarch, lower element - sill overlay?

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

Thanks guys I will definitely join the club :D

LGJ. Story with sill is it's a poor repair that is getting sorted and the bottom half of the car is being resprayed this week. I am quite particular about my cars so have a friend sorting the n/s sill and front corner.
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith »

Hi,
Noce looking Imp. Identical to mine - same year and colour. Hope you don't have the same issues as me - have a look at the Hilda- Lesley's car thread. You won't regret joining the club as everyone is really friendly.
Lesley
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

The minilites look a bit on the small size. Are they 12inch?
Seems that these days almost all Imps I see with minilites are 13inch. It may explain why they look a little small to me.
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

imp.sport wrote:The minilites look a bit on the small size. Are they 12inch?
Seems that these days almost all Imps I see with minilites are 13inch. It may explain why they look a little small to me.
Yeah there standard mid 90's mini cooper alloys. Nice car!
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

Thanks guys! :D Alloys are 12 inch, not Mini Cooper but late 70's early 80's period minilite copies called Caradoma if I remember correctly.

Not sure about Imps but 13" alloys ruin the handling of Mini's - I have 12" deep dish on my Cooper.
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Some say they do, some say they don't.
Much debate has been said, but the coming and going of decent 12 inch rubber is often a problem.
Not so much with 13's but maybe they will in years to come.
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

That is a good point, Yokohama do the A539 which is a good tyre in 12".
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
basil imp

Post by basil imp »

When I put 13x5.5 alloys on my car it improved the handling lots over the stock 12" wheels. However I'd say 13x7's were a slight bit worse. However I wouldn't swap it back to the 5.5's as it was that slight!
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Most likely Cromodora wheels.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
Hugh L
Car Model: Imp Deluxe, Imp Van

Post by Hugh L »

Good to see another Imp in the Glasgow area.

It would be great to see you at our club night which is held on the last Monday of each month at Phoenix Park, Table Table, Phoenix Retail Park, PA1 2BH

In the meantime, just shout if you need any help with anything!

Hugh Imp006 Clan004
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

Hi Hugh, that would be great to catch up with other Impers at the Linwood meet and thanks for the offer of help, I think I will probably take you up on that :D
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
Hugh L
Car Model: Imp Deluxe, Imp Van

Post by Hugh L »

I've just found a picture of your car from about 10 to 15 years ago at a show at the Museum of Flight at East Fortune. I'll ask one of the kids how I get it on the computer!
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

Fantastic! I think it won best Imp at the Nationals in 1998 so was no stranger to the show circuit. Look forward to seeing the pic!
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice car. :mrgreen: The 12" Minilite-style wheels look great.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
DIB69

Post by DIB69 »

Due to a change in circumstances it looks like I unfortunately may be selling the imp. It's now had a bottom half respray and has 12 months test. Looks stunning. PM me if interested.
'73 Imp Deluxe
'92 Mini Cooper
'09 Civic Type R
farina
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by farina »

Just been reading this link with interest. Got standard 12" steelys at present and looking to get some minilites.
Do I get the gist that 13" are better than 12" and 5.5 better than 7?
If I go for 13 x 5.5, what's the best tyre size cos one is supposed to keep the same overall diameter isn't one. Imp003
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

13in aren't necessarily 'better' - its just easier to buy high performance tyres for them.

5.5in wide is spot on IMHO and if you are running 13in rims, the size to go for is 185/60x13 as this gets you very close to the original rolling radius and there are lots of quality options out there (Yokohama, Toyo, etc).
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
basil imp

Post by basil imp »

impmann wrote:13in aren't necessarily 'better' - its just easier to buy high performance tyres for them.

5.5in wide is spot on IMHO and if you are running 13in rims, the size to go for is 185/60x13 as this gets you very close to the original rolling radius and there are lots of quality options out there (Yokohama, Toyo, etc).
I ran both 13x 7 and 13x5.5 on my imp, 13x7 were 175/70/13 and 13x5.5 were on 185/60/13 as Tim mentioned.

The 7 inch looked better, however the handling was defenatly better all round on 5.5 . However next time round I want to try 13x6 up front and 13x7 on the rear as a compromise :D or the 13x5.5 Dunlop d1 style wheels made by jbw
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie »

There appears to be a good range of decent tyres available in 175/65x13. I guess they would be a good match for 13x5.5" rims?
John Hall
farina
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by farina »

Thanks for the advice guys. The wheels might have to wait a bit as I've just had a bit of a set-back!
A bit of advice you all might find useful - don't know whether you know . . . but . . . diesel cars don't like unleaded !! Don't laugh !
It's an easy mistake. Or at least that's what the laughing RAC man told me as he took my credit card details.
£140 to join and get towed back home and then another RAC man came along with another van to flush me out.
He was laughing too. A bit louder than the first one. £210 ! So, bye bye minilites, for the moment anyway.
Seriously though, the RAC guys got me out of the s**t. They did a good job. The only problem I was left with was how to tell the Mrs.
Still licking the wounds! I won't do THAT again. (The RAC man told me that as well)! Imp003 :oops:
Spanish Singer
Car Model: Singer Chamois 1967

Post by Spanish Singer »

farina wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. The wheels might have to wait a bit as I've just had a bit of a set-back!
A bit of advice you all might find useful - don't know whether you know . . . but . . . diesel cars don't like unleaded !! Don't laugh !
It's an easy mistake. Or at least that's what the laughing RAC man told me as he took my credit card details.
£140 to join and get towed back home and then another RAC man came along with another van to flush me out.
He was laughing too. A bit louder than the first one. £210 ! So, bye bye minilites, for the moment anyway.
Seriously though, the RAC guys got me out of the s**t. They did a good job. The only problem I was left with was how to tell the Mrs.
Still licking the wounds! I won't do THAT again. (The RAC man told me that as well)! Imp003 :oops:
Here in Spain the petrol pump nozzles are different sizes to help to avoid this happening. The Diesel nozzle is a bigger diameter than the petrol nozzle so that its not possible to put Diesel in a Petrol car. It is not failsafe as you can put Petrol in a Diesel car, as you have found out :oops:
Don´t wish to be the bearer of more but news but a friend of mine did the same and he managed to destroy the tips of the Diesel injectors and had a costly repair bill !!! Apparently when run on petrol the ignition temperatures are much higher and the injectors don´t like it at all. So, if its not running as it should, probably smoking more than normal, check the injectors.
Let´s hope that's not the case and the you will have those new wheels in no time :D
Paul Imp009

Return to “Readers Cars”