My First Imp (First Sprint this Year!)

pubcrawler
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1965 Imp, 1971 AH Sprite MkIV, 1965 Triumph Herald

My First Imp (First Sprint this Year!)

Post by pubcrawler »

I've competed in Hillclimb/sprints for the past 20 years in a Westfield, decided I wanted a change plus something with a propper roof. I've always liked Imps from a distance but last year I read an article in Practical Classics about renovating an Imp for road/competition and decided that was going to be my next car. Found one on e-bay for £1700 and fetched it from Norwich in Feb on my trailer. It is standard and quite good condition with only minor dents and scratches and no rot anywhere as far as I can see. Wasn't keen on the colour origionally but it is growing on me!
Not done much to it over the past couple of months, apart from sell my Westfied and all my Ford bits, this week started scraping all the underseal off and was pleasantly suprised to find a solid floor coated in what looks like red lead. Going to then paint it in "Black Eastwood Rust Encapsulator"
My plan is to sort out the suspension/interior first and then think about modified engine/gearbox later.
Will post more photo's etc as work progresses, Martin.

Edit......One thing I forgot to mention :roll: was that I was told by the owner that it had been used in a film called The Royals :?: , does anyone ever remember seeing the car or the film. Apparently it was a clone car as the one in the series got totalled in a train crash :o .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
classiccapsule
Club Member: No
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Re: My First Imp

Post by classiccapsule »

Glad that you're under way. That colour is growing on me too!
Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Thanks for the offer of the springs Rod, have sent you a PM.
I shall be glad of any help/advice from members as I 've never owned one before. Just found a couple of photo's of my Westfield, didn't want to sell it but had to because I needed garage space for the Imp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Parkes.
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Welcome to the world of Imp Martin. That appears to be a sound and original looking car you've bought, nice one. Subtle shade I like it.

Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Welcome to the world of Imps and their differently-badged cousins. :mrgreen:

Your car looks very smart indeed. I too love the colour! 8) If you haven't already, you should start a Readers' Cars thread for your ride.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Thought I'd post an update :o , although I'd checked for rot before buying I was convinced I was going to find some on closer investigation back home :lol: .
Glad to report that the floor is in great condition for a 47 year old car 8) . Spent last few weekends scraping off all loose underseal from wheel arches and floor to reveal what looks like red oxide :) .
Using a selection of paints/sprays to protect the underside now that 3/4 of a wine box of underseal and sound deadening stuff has been removed :o .
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Extra lower front and Monte rear springs just arrived from Malc, good service 8) . Should make it sit even better, spax shockers also ordered yesterday...........must have doubled the value of the Imp now :lol: :o :lol:

More pictures of the interior, about to start wire brushing/painting the front suspension now :) , yes I like this retirement, could do with a few more hours in the day though :lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Yes it is a welded plate :o but looks like it is origonal :)
The better weather has encouraged me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mart.
Martin Parkes.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

My Singer has this plate , I too was worried about rot underneath , so i removed all the sound deadening around it and poured wax oil between the plate and the ribbed floor , that was 23 years ago and its still perfect
Formally known as " Noddy "
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler »

Front suspension arms :o (think that's what they're called) all sanded, checked, painted and rustproofed 8) .
Next job is to fit 4 new adjustable Spax shockers and shortened springs :shock: .
Martin Parkes.
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

Hi Martin,

PM sent
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (update)

Post by pubcrawler »

New spax and shortened springs fitted :o , sits at a nice height now 8) . Just "rattlecanned" the interior to make it presentable for the Llangollen 60's show on Sunday 8) , hope we (me, Mrs Pubcrawler and my Imp) make it :roll: ...........only driven her 20 miles maximum since purchased :o .
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Heater out!!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Whilst removing the heater pipe the solid pipe from the matrix became loose :evil: . So nothing for it but to remove the lot :o and I've now found where small drops of water were coming from on my last outing :roll: .
Hoping a friend (who used to fit central heating systems) can re-solder it for me :shock: . If not I'll be back on this forum asking for help :roll: .
Whilst apart I'm doing away with the on/off valve so have "aralited" the end so as not too have leaks and also still gives me a pipe of the correct diameter to connect the return hose :D .
Why is the heater mounted on the slant ?
Martin Parkes.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: My First Imp (Heater out!!)

Heres a piccy of it , it was further modded to fit a later matrix at one point ,

Formally known as " Noddy "
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Heater repaired!!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Heater matrix fetched from a friend :shock: who soldered both joints :o and (thanks to Noddy for his top tip) soldered a filed down 2p coin to make a perfect stopper :o :o :o .
Fitting it all back to-morrow along with radiator, new fan and hoses :o .
Hope the bloke on the assembly line who fitted the two heater hoses front to back got paid more than anyone else :lol: :lol: ....cause he deserved it, what a ****in :o job that was :wink:
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Heater repaired!!)

Post by pubcrawler »

What a difference, new HE rad, waterpump, heater hoses, fan and two jubillee clips :o . Took it for a good run this afternoon :shock: and no overheating :o .
Marvelous 8)
Martin Parkes.
ImpManiac

Re: My First Imp (New Parts!)

Post by ImpManiac »

Shiny newness! :P

Enthusiasm is usually supplied with shiny new Imp components. Look for it in a small jar, wrapped up with the roll cage side intrusion bars. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Enthusiasm found!!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Funny how I found my enthusiasm :o as soon as my Wife mentioned decorating!! :lol:
Impressed with the fibreglass mouldings, bonnet fitted perfectly with lock and safety catch lining up first time 8) . The engine cover required a bit more work :o , because it is only a skin and I wanted to keep the origonal locks and handles I had to make up a wooden spacer to screw the catches to.
The plywood was glued and fibreglassed to the lid :o after first cutting out the holes :shock: . Once the handles were fitted and locks aligned I added two quick release catches on top so I can completely remove the cover when working on the engine and still lock the cover in place :) . I haven't removed the hinges so that the origonal cover can be re-fitted if needed sometime in the future 8)
Rubbing down and spraying is next on the list me thinks :o
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (More Enthusiasm found!!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Good idea Moose about using R clips 8) , saw this done for the front cover on an Imp at Brands the other weekend. Sprinting/hillclimbing has much more sociable light hours :o although the weather cannot always be guaranteed :lol: .
Although I've never done any large area spraying with a propper gun and compressor before I have to say I'm rather pleased with the results, a little bit of orange peel effect in parts :o but hopefully when hardened should polish out :)
Fitting the full cage is my next task :o :shock: :o
Martin Parkes.
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Re: My First Imp (More enthusiasm found!!)

Post by cov_climax »

i cut the heads off the original riveted hinge pins on the boot lid, then replaced them with a a piece of stainless bar after opening the holes to suit, the bar is bent on the end and the boot lid holdes them in. this allows standard concealed hinges and a removable lid,

just visable here:

and removed (not the best pic, but the pins are still half in the hinges on the car):
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Cage Squeezed in!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Finally finished fitting the "Safety Devices" Cage this morning :o .......2 days of sweat and swear :lol:
Couldn't have done it without using 2 ratchet straps :o and would have been easier without the roof lining which I managed to tear in a couple of places :o
Very good fit though 8) , decorating now takes over for a while, should have done it last year :o :lol:
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (All new parts fitted!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Finally finished fitting all my new parts yesterday,so now really must start decorating :o :lol: .
Ordered a LED number plate light and interior light from these people http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/, their free catolgue makes good bedtime reading :roll: :lol: .
With a cage fitted the old interior light was useless so decided to upgrade and move using a strip of alluminium, this worked well as it also hid the small hole that I made in the roof lining :o to get at the roof aerial nut :shock: .
The e-bay purchsed rear Hillman badge added the final touch 8)
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Small Cheques!

Post by pubcrawler »

Thanks to Eddie (classic capsule) for his advice with this latest addition :o .
Took all Sunday afternoon to fit :( :o :( but am pleased with the results 8) . Now I really must start the decorating otherwise I could end up living in my garage permantly :lol: .
Martin Parkes.
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Re: My First Imp (Small Cheques!)

Post by basil imp »

Really love the look of your car! Looks excellent
pubcrawler

2 more photo's

Post by pubcrawler »

Spent the morning at Curborough (sprint venue near Lichfield) yesterday helping a friend with a new single seater :o .
Decided to do a few laps at the end in the Imp just as it started to rain :roll: , very exciting :lol: :D :lol:
Martin Parkes.
tomcat
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

Re: My First Imp (2 more photo's)

Post by tomcat »

Like the roof too. :)
Suits it well
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: My First Imp (2 more photo's)

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I like the roof too.

I reckon there ought to be a sticky thread that forms a sort of reference library for paint work, decals and period embellishments to keep the purists happy and maybe another similar thread for more non-standard / outrageous paint schemes good OR bad! :lol:

For example, I often wonder what type of paint scheme I could apply to make the Clan look prettier .... :roll:

... I reference library of ideas might just help. :mrgreen:

...or maybe not. :cry:

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
pubcrawler

Rear seat finally out!

Post by pubcrawler »

Tried to remove rear seat upright before but failed :evil: so this time I wasn't going to be beaten :roll: .
Ground off the screw heads and away it came.........the seat along with the nearside inner arch :o :lol: .
Off side arch remained in place with just a few rust holes. 8)
Welding job for my Brother-in-law to-morrow :lol: , then will permantly fix seat in the upright postion.
Martin Parkes.
ImpManiac

Re: My First Imp (Rear seat finally out!)

Post by ImpManiac »

:shock: Not cool at all! Mind you, at least with the car as it is, it should be a straightforward repair. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Inner rear arches all welded!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Now to get this thread back on track with an update :o :lol: .
My Brother in Law welded up both rear inner rear wheel arches after I forcibly removed the rear seat upright :o :lol: and to-day I've given them a good coating of POR 15 inside and out.
Really impressive stuff this POR 15, left some in a dish and when fully dried it was a like a flexible piece of rubber :o .
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Interior Update)

Post by pubcrawler »

Bought a sheet of alluminium chequer plate whilst at Race Retro 8) from a bloke in the very cold autojumble shed :roll: !
Was supposed to be working this week but got postponed at last minute so back in the garage while the weather is nice.
Finished cutting and fitting floor plates yesterday :D .
Spent to-day making corex templates for my new auxilary dashboard and shelf, cutting and bending to-morrow maybe :shock:
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Another Update!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Having had to take the seats back to Cobra :o for them to re-glue the seat squabs (job was done while I waited) I'm now pleased that they are finally fitted again along with the seat belts 8) , must say their customer service was excellent :D .
While the seats were out again :roll: I took the opportunity to spray the rear brown seat with some black upholstery spray paint I found on the internet :shock: . Must be honest it wasn't the easiest to use and I think it would have been easier if it had been a warm day although overall I'm pleased with the result :D . The seat is there to comply with the sprint class regs and I think it finishes off the interior 8) . The upholstery spray was applied with the aid of a 3" soft paint brush and a blow heater to dry each coat. I've also made and covered new rear side cards, front door cards next using the same material :D .
The Springalex 14" dished steering wheel also arrived by courier to-day :o from http://www.europaspares.com
Fitting was very straightforward and for reference the wheel uses a "M Range boss kit Ref KK1020" :) .
Martin Parkes.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Re: My First Imp (Another Update!)

Post by bks974c »

Cars looking great :D

The shoulder straps on the harness looks too steep imho, a better positon from a safety point of view is at the top of the vertical panel behind the rear seat where it meets the rear panel shelf but requires the seat folded down. Alternatively a harness bar can be fitted.

In an accident the steep angle puts unfavourable loads on the seat and occupants.

See MSA guidelines
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_ ... y)_(K).pdf

Scott
pubcrawler

A small update!

Post by pubcrawler »

I plan to modify and alter the Imps wiring extensively :o so decided to bid for and won an Escort wiring loom from Ebay (£15 incl P&P).
Un-loomed it (not sure if that is a proper word :roll: ), cleaned it and now I have plenty of cable for my mods :lol: .
My spare 998 engine has been stripped of it's ancillaries and is now with Ben Boult for a strip and re-build (should be ready to collect by the end of April) along with another transaxle and clutch 8) .
The other picture is of my 12 year old Nephew, Luke, who is trying out his inheritance for size :o .
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Late Imp 50 Update)

Post by pubcrawler »

Having updated my build thread for a while :roll: . Since the Coventry bash all been a bit quiet as I have been pre-occupied fitting another bonnet onto Mrs. Pubcrawlers Sprite and having a front end re-spray etc :o . With that all now finished I can move back to my Imp :) .
I stripped the wiring loom from e-bay and made up a new one which I have run in parallel with the existing one, this should have enough cables in it for all my needs :wink:. The polycarbonate dash has been recreated in alluminium and covered in carbon fibre self adhesive vinyl, again extra holes have been drilled and can be cut out when requied 8) .
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Late Imp 50 Update)

Post by pubcrawler »

I've moved the lighting and wiper switches from the binnacle :o and put them in the new dashboard and those holes now have left and right indicator warning lights fitted in them 8) . A small parcel shelf either side finishes off the new dash layout. Basic wiring has been done although a lot more is planned, hence the fuses :roll: .
The 998cc engine that I bought has been stripped by Ben Boult and was not exactly as described in the advert :o :o :o .
He is carrying the neccesary mods to bring it up to spec and should be back with me this month along with a gearbox/clutch :D .
The twin 40's have also gone away for cleaning and reconditioning :) , I have also purchased a heater fan which needs stripping and cleaning so there are still jobs to do (as always :roll: ).
Martin Parkes.
TJB69
Car Model: Bevan recreation/imp Super/Imp Van/Commer Van

Re: My First Imp (Late Imp 50 Update!)

Post by TJB69 »

I like your dashboard arrangement. Very nice :D
Tom Blackwood
bornagain-imp
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp Deluxe

Re: My First Imp (Late Imp 50 Update!)

Post by bornagain-imp »

Looking really good Martin 8)

Like the Sprite, very nice :mrgreen:

Rod Imp006
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Got me engine back!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Went to Ben Boult's last week and picked up my sparkling engine that he had stripped and brought up to spec.
Have to say if it goes as well as it looks...wow :o
All new bolts, washers, spring washers etc, also supplied me a Mk 3 std gearbox and comp clutch 8) .
Weber carbs have also come back from being reconditioned :D
Time now for the major stripdown ready for next year, considering I was only aiming to do Coventry 50 celebrations this year I have been pleased with what my Imp has done :D .
Jobs now planned are polybush suspension, finish rear rustproofing etc, alloy tank, new brake lines, finish/tidy wiring, front disc brakes and of course engine, gearbox and comp rotoflex's :o :o :o
If there's enough money left over might even do a partial re-spray :roll: .
Just need to get me back fixed and I'll be at it :roll: :lol: :lol:
Martin Parkes.
bornagain-imp

Re: My First Imp (Got me engine back!)

Post by bornagain-imp »

Very nice Martin 8) :mrgreen:

There's a few jobs there to keep you busy :roll: :lol:

Bad backs seem to creep up on us all as we get older :wink: :roll: mine's not too bad now but its had a nice holiday in Brighton for 3 weeks :D

Rod Imp006
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Christmas Update!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Spurred on by reading about Paul Harrison's Singer Chamois re-build :o I decide that the engine/transaxle must be out by Christmas otherwise my re-build wont be started till the New Year :roll: .
I've never removed an Imp engine etc before and I've probably taken far too long over it :lol:
I started it last weekend and finished it this afternoon :o, A much better way to spend Christmas eve instead battling with last minute shoppers :D .
I thought I'd removed everything but still couldn't understand why the engine refused to leave the car :evil: , I then realised I'd forgot to remove the gearlever linkage bolt :oops:
Finally the Imp gave up the struggle and relinquished the engine :wink:
The good news is that I haven't found any rot yet so am really pleased 8) .
Just about to pour myself a Guinness and start the Christmas festivities, cheers :lol:
Martin Parkes.
bornagain-imp

Post by bornagain-imp »

Hi Martin,
Pleased to see you've made a start :D
Once you've taken the engine and gearbox out its easier next time because you know what to undo :wink:
I'm sure you can get that time down to within an hour :D :lol:
look forward to some progress pictures :wink: :roll:

Hope to see you at a meet in 2014 :D

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :D

Rod Imp006
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice work, Martin! :D They really are straightforward to remove and replace, once you've done your first. :wink:

Merry Christmas to you! Imp003

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Rear Suspension removed)

Post by pubcrawler »

Rear trailing arms now removed and sent away for sandblasting :o and then powder coating :D , my Brother in Law will then press in new poly bushes 8) .
All grease and loose rust now removed from rear end :o and 2 coats of Hydrate 80 applied, POR 15 will then be applied next week :)
Suprised just how easily it has all come apart with no rusted nuts etc and no rot found......very pleased 8)
Next job is to remove the front suspension and do the same 8)
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Engine bay painted)

Post by pubcrawler »

Just a quick update, rear end is now ready to have parts refitted :D
Lots of sanding and rustproofing, please with the results so far :P
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Front Suspension Removed!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Another productive day :o , front suspension now removed ready for poly bushing and final underbody rustproofing :)
Never realised that the steering comes off as well :oops: , be glad when I can start fixing things back on rather than dismantling :lol:
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Re: My First Imp (Underbonnet Underseal Removed!)

Post by pubcrawler »

Finally removed all of the underseal from underneath the bonnet and what a pain it was :evil: Used a combination of thinners, WD40, meths and elbow grease :o . Glad it had been put on though because as you can see the paintwork is in remarkably good condition 8) . Just need to apply paint to the remaining unpainted areas now :D
Another piece of good news is that the cheap Imp fan I bought from Fleebay works so just needs stripping, cleaning and painting and then I shall have a super wafter heater :lol:
Martin Parkes.
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James »

Looking good :D
Where are you getting the original colour paint from? I'd love to do my trials car this colour again in a few years as it was the original colour and there's barely any left this colour.
This was mine back in the 90's being used properly 8)
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
1967 Hillman imp super - classic touring car racer.
Overall championship winner 2021.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Yes , it needs a 7.5A fuse , it takes a 5A fuse out when turning on , It draws 4A when running :)
Why the large pulley and whats the alternator rated at / what alternator is it :?:
Large pulley will delay excitement :shock: ie. when it actually starts to charge .

Some info

The alternator's output current is regulated by the 'voltage regulator' which tries to keep the voltage at about 14 volts. If the voltage falls then the regulator tells the alternator to put out more current. If the alternator is putting out as much as it can at this speed then increasing the speed will result in more current.

The simplest way to monitor this is a voltage gauge
for example
50 amps at 14 volts = 700 watts
The alternator converts energy from mechanical to electrical. The mechanical energy is supplied from the engine, whose input is chemical energy in the form of petrol. The electrical output power of the alternator must be less than the mechanical input power from the engine, which must be less than the chemical power from fuel combustion.

The alternator's maximum output power requires maximum engine speed & max fuel consumption. But fortunately, alternators are equipped w/ regulators which provide constant voltage operation. By selectively adjusting the field current, the magnetic field strength can be varied & consequently a regulated output can be achieved despite varying loading & engine speed.

If the engine is idling under light load, the regulator will adjust the field current for the needed load power w/ constant voltage, approx. 13.8V. If the load is then increased, the voltage out momentarily droops, so the field current is raised by the regulator. The voltage at the alternator output increases to the right value, & the new current value is obtained. But the power has increased as well. This increase in electrical power mandates a corresponding increase in mechanical power from the engine.

If the fuel consumption is constant, i.e. no increase in fuel, than the idle speed will drop. Since the fuel consumed at the original engine idle speed did not increase, & the alternator demands more mechanical power from the engine, the engine must lose some of its mechanical power. The rpm drops as a result.

Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

You shouldn't have asked.... :lol:

I's a compromise to account for a number of factors.

1400 rpm because it suits the cam (GB72) , the flywheel, the clutch take up etc ..

..and I fitted a large pulley because ...........

Large pulley justification (1): You see when the 40A Denso had a normal tiny pulley the electrical load of my performance orientated stuff (mapped ign, EWP x2 and large electric rad fan in particular) slowed the tickover to the point of stalling with this spec of engine tune at what most Impers consider a normal tickover of just sub 1000 rpm. So the large pulley reduces the engine torque needed to turn the alternator under load and the high tickover suits the engine tune (and pushes the alternator back into the working range). Usually it all works great performance wise ...until you pile on even more electrical load of non-performance stuff for comfort and safety (blower + wiper +lights). At this point 1400 rpm is a bit low for the load and I need more like 1600-1800 rpm for the alternator to cope

Large Pulley justification (2): The CR lowered 3 & 4 'box means most of my time is spent 4000 to 8500 so a large pulley also reduces the alternator revs so it's less likely to overheat the bearings etc. etc.

So any chance of reducing electrical loads from non-performance orientated ancillary stuff is of interest to me.

Hence wanting a low load heater blower! A 5A one would be an improvement over mine so the way to go when I get a chance. :D Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton