Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - New MOT

philgsmith
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -Fitting Headlining

Post by philgsmith »

Bob

I initially ran 4 core, then realised I needed 2 for the tach so now have 5 core, with one spare - it's just 16amp 5 core thin wall biugt off the web from a company call Electrical Car Services - they are very prompt, I ordered a switch late Monday night, and it arrived today, and I only paid standard mail.

I'm using it to get the coil connections to the tach (2 feeds back to front), 2 to take power from switches to the fog and reversing lamps (front to back) & 1 spare.

I could have left the 4 core but wanted a spare just in case.

Phil
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -Fitting Headlining

Post by philgsmith »

Thanks guys,
It's not as good as it looks in the photo though! There's one crease I couldn't get out. I'm hoping steam will help. I'm going to try this once the windows go back in. I must confess that I do have some experience of sewing as I used to teach Textiles, so I've been able to apply some of what I know but it was still a challenge. Philip says "What patience?" as I nearly told him where to stick his crimping tool at one point!
Lesley
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -Dashboard in

Post by philgsmith »

We had a good weekend on the car although working outside in a 32 degree heat wasn't fun! Never mind, at least we're having some good weather for a change. We've fitted the new speakers into the rear side panels and I've fitted sound deadening and carpet in the luggage space. As the metal bar which held the rubber in place at the back of the seat was rusty and scruffy, we replaced it with an aluminium strip from B&Q. I haven't stuck the carpets down so I'll be able to remove them if the rear hatch leaks.I also recovered one wheel arch and pocket as I wasn't happy with my first effort.

We managed to chip the front of the rear seat base so I've covered it in black vinyl and trial fitted the seat to see how it will look.

I've also put some sound deadening beneath the seat base.

I threw the old rubber floor covering out when we first started working on the car 2 and a half years ago - not a good idea as I should have kept it for a template for the carpets. I've had to make paper patterns for each section. I've cut out all the underlay, and trimmed it to fit. I will use these pieces as a basis for cutting the carpet, but will cut them bigger, trimming them down as I go. I didn't fancy paying lots of money for a carpet set when I can do it myself. I bought the underlay and carpet from Martrim at the Classic Car show last year and now have enough to have some spare just in case we have some leaks.I've been told that Imps leak badly, so I thought it would be a good idea to have some extra. It was still less than half of the cost of a ready made set.

Philip has almost completed the wiring and we've refitted the dashboard. He's fitted a tacho, an electric washer flip switch, reversing light switch and buzzer, fog lamp with warning light. He has fitted 2 fuse boxes to add permanent live and switched live feeds for radio, clock and 12v socket, plus fused existing circuits (lights, fan, wipers).He now needs to tidy up the wires and tie them up behind the dash.
He's been determined to carry on with the car despite having a slipped disc, which means that by the end of each day his back stiffens up and he's got a job to move. He's now waiting to see a consultant.

Can anyone tell us what amp battery cable do we need to use to replace the old ones. We also can't remember which side the indicator stalk goes, so can someone please let us know?

Lesley
Yoshie
Club Member: No
Car Model: Hilman Imp Series II

Post by Yoshie »

Wow!!, that's looking great. Great write up on fitting the headlining and the rest of the interior, I'll be getting to this stage in 3-4 weeks and I find the thought of fitting the head lining quite a worry, if it turns out looking anything near as good as yours I'll be well pleased. (must raid the stationary store at work for bulldog clips to hold things in place)

Good work.

Mike
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Indicator goes on the right. Cracking work guys, looking forward to seeing this one.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Great work there guys,can't wait to see it at Wicked Welsh.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

I hope I can make it to the Wicked Welsh because I too would love to see this car. Lovely work! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Thanks everyone.
I'm going down to Malc's on Friday to pick up a new clutch, spiggot bearing and a few other bits and pieces. We're hoping to start on the engine on Saturday with a bit of luck.
I'm going to try to get the carpets done. If anyone is interested I'll do a detailed write up on this. Just let me know.
We'll have to start thinking about seatbelts soon. I want to use intertia reel ones. Does anyone know where we can get them?
Lesley
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Some people on here have used Quickfit SBS to good effect. Apparently their service and their products are excellent. If you give them a ring and tell them what you want, they should be able to help. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - Engine in & doors on

Post by philgsmith »

Hilda is now progressing nicely and we've managed to pass a few milestones over the last couple of weeks.
Previously I'd made rough templates out of paper for the carpets. These are now in place. I thought it may be of use if I described
how I did it.
Template for sills - cut roughly out of brown paper, placed onto panel, marked with marker then cut to fit allowing extra to trim
later. The overall shape was obtained but these pieces were cut bigger than needed just in case of mistakes. Same process was
followed for all pieces needed.

Sound deadening/underlay was cut out using the paper templates. This was trial fitted, the surplus being marked with chalk and
trimmed. The sound deadening was now used as a pattern for the carpet.This was marked with chalk and cut out allowing for extra around the
transmission tunnel and wheelarches.(see later.)

Wheel arch and transmission tunnel sound deadening pieces were trial fitted and snipped to allow them to fit easily around the curved
areas.The surplus was marked with chalk and trimmed as neccesary, then stuck in place using high impact adhesive. This was followed
by the back section which I decided to cut in one piece right across the car. I didn't stick this piece in place just in case I want
to remove it in the future.

Front sound deadening trial fitted and trimmed.

The same process was followed for the carpet. I didn't use sound deadening on the sills so i stuck the carpet directly onto them
allowing enough carpet to overlap slightly onto the floor of the car - see previous photos.

All carpets in place - you can see that I've marked an area around the transmission tunnel for trimming. I allowed extra carpet for
the tunnel to ensure that it would sit underneath the main front footwell carpet once fitted. I'm not planning to stick any of the
carpets down so that I can remove them if they get wet. If the wheelarch carpet fits well enough it will stay in place.
I've left the section beside the front upright of each door until the doors are refitted.
I could have spent time getting the paper templates accurate at the start but feel that trial fitting and trimming gave me a better
result in the end. I'm now going to take the carpets to a local famly run carpet shop and have them edged for a professional finish.

The next job was to install the engine. I couldn't resist taking a picture of Philip fitting the new thrust bearing to the gearbox.

New clutch in place.

The cavalry arrive - our daughters' partners. It's really useful to have 2 strapping lads on hand at times like this, especially with
Philip's bad back.

The engine and gearbox are bolted in place, but nothing connected up except for the gear change flexi.

Hilda sunbathing! It was so hot that we had to out up an umbrella to shade us when we were working inside the car, even with the windows out.

The guys from the body shop came up and fitted the front screen as we chickened out of this one! However, I didn't realise until the
next day that the plastic chrome trim join should have been at the top. We don't have the tool to change it so it's staying put I'm
afraid.

We managed to put the doors together on Saturday - it took several hours to do the first one as we got the order wrong and had to
take parts back out. The second one tool 3o mins - typical - it's much quicker once you know what you're doing.

Sunday saw us refitting the doors - something we've been dreading doing. They're a real pain to fit as many people say. After lots of
playing around with then, they now close but are a tight fit at the bottom front. Does anyone have some tips on how to get this
right?

The new locking handles and cleaned up catches were fitted to the engine cover before it and the bonnet were easily bolted in place,
but we've still got to fiddle with the catch on the rear window. It will shut but not catch. I have a feeling that the catch will be coming back out.

Some photos of Hilda as she is at the moment.

We're going on holiday on Friday so won't be working on the car for a few weeks.
GURNSIMPS

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -Engine in and doors on

Post by GURNSIMPS »

FABULOUS!
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ What Gurns said! :mrgreen:

No idea on the doors. You may just need to give the rubber seals time to relax into shape.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom »

Looking wicked! keep up the hard work! :)
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - back to work after holi

Post by philgsmith »

Hi All,
We've managed to do some work on the car this weekend after being on holiday. We didn't get anything done last weekend although we were home as it was our 30th wedding anniversary and we had a party with friends staying over, so I spent the weekend cooking instead! It's going to be a real challenge to get Hilda completed for the Wicked Welsh but we're going to try. We'd planned to have 5 days working on the car this weekend, but Philip's leave for Friday and tomorrow was cancelled due to problems in work.

Our friend from the garage fitted the silver trim along the side of the car while we were away. We chickened out of this one as the original holes had been welded up by a previous owner. He also fitted the rear side windows, so all the glass is now in place.

We've also now fitted the refurbished rear seat back.

We've fitted some more brightwork and I've refurbed the front number plate which I originally thought was beyond repair. I've managed to get it back into shape and cleaned up the reflective surface, completing it by repainting the black surround.

I managed to fix the front indicator light. We'd lost the spring and holder which holds the side light bulb in position in the grass outside the garage and haven't managed to find it. I cut down a bulb holder bought from the internet and Philip used an old spring, altering it to make it fit.

The new fog and reversing light are now on the car either side of the number plate. We used sticky pads and cable ties to hold the wiring in place on the inside of the engine cover.

Philip has connected up the battery and spent time checking that things work properly. We couldn't get the indicators/horn to work and eventually traced the problem to the stalk itself. We're now bought one off Ebay. The next problem was that we couldn't get the ignition light on the dashboard to illuminate. After much head scratching, study of the wiring diagram and retesting circuits, all of which were ok, we finally realised that they wouldn't work unless the dynamo was attached! The switches we planned to use for the fog and reversing light will need to be replaced as they work sporadically.

I've managed to compete the doors. I've used sticky backed plastic to make a membrane which I hope will prevent the back of the door card becoming wet. I fitted the black door capping trim and the door bins. Unfortunately we're having trouble shutting the doors. We have new rubber which doesn't seem too thick but we can't shut either one fully. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That all sounds like good progress. :) I hope you meet your target and get the car ready for the Wicked Welsh.

Door fitting is a dark art. :? Sometimes, it is possible to make doors shut and latch more easily by tweaking the striker plate on the B-post. I do not know whether or not adjustment of the lock itself on the door is possible. Good luck with it! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Thanks Paul,
Hopefully we'll post some up to date photos by the end of the week. We were too tired to do this on Monday.
We're going to have another go at fixing the doors on the weekend. Wish us luck. They'll only catch on the first stage since we fitted the upper door cappings - they've added to the problem, but the doors were hard to shut before this.They're fairly even all round now but I've read somewhere that replacement door rubber can be a problem. Ours doesn't seem to be very thick though.
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda - some up to date photos

Post by philgsmith »

Some up to date photos

All glass and most brightwork in place, and paintwork polished.

Most interior trim is now in place

Lots of work still to do in the engine bay

We used stick on tabs to hold the fog/reversing lamp wiring in place

philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - HELP bonnet problem

Post by philgsmith »

HELP - can't get into luggage compartment.....

Getting towards the end of today's work we put the catches on the luggage compartment and connected the release cable. I checked that the release cable pulled the release to the side etc so we checked that when the bonnet was lowered the catch pin lined up with the catch hole.. it was just offcentre but it entered the hole. So I pushed it down and the bonnet locked. I pulled the release cable and the catch didn't release........... panic not, I'd seen the section in the manual about the emergency release access being via the air inlet box. So I removed the grommet and moved the release arm, back and for several times and the bonnet refused to release and pop up.................. so no panic, just a cold sinking feeling !!!!

So the big question - how the hell do I get the bonnet to release.

I've thought of undoing the hinges from the scuttle end and seeing if moving the bonnet back and forth gets the alignment just right to release the catch..... is this feasible ???? I think I can push the seal off to give a bit more movement.

Any other ideas????

By the way it is a new fibreglass bonnet.

Any tips on refitting afterwards??

Phil
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Undoing the hinges does sometimes work but it sounds as if the catch on the bonnet is set too high , by shutting it theres now a lot of tension , so much so the spring is unable to push the bonnet up .
Best to adjust the bonnet catch so the bonnet closes but is still loose if that makes sense , then gradually adjust it until its right .
Formally known as " Noddy "
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Catch pin spring missing?
andy
Car Model: 1964 Imp, 1971 Husky, 1965 AA Van

Post by andy »

Phil
We had exactly this with my fiberglass bonnet
firstly I had to tap the hinge pins out to get the bonnet open
after a lot of trying I found that the threaded holes cast into the fiberglass that the bonnet catch with the spring screw to were slightly wrong (it may have been some other dimension) but it wouldnt fit
the solution was to make the holes in the plate into elongated slots only by about 2 to 3 mm which allowed the catch to align correctly
this worked fine
It was exactly the same with the fiberglass one on Doms Stiletto but we kne how to solve it straight away.

hope this is of help

Andy
www.imps.me.uk
1964 Hillman Imp, 1965 AA Commer Van , 1971 Hillman Husky.
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Noddy

There was certainly a lot of tension... outside the car !!

Lars

Spring wasn't missing. My guess is that the pin is misaligned and the spring or the end of the pin is caught in the catch rim.

Andy - hiya mate... good to hear from you.

Funny that you are on here tonight, I actually thought of you and YAB when I calmed down earlier, knowing you had a fibreglass bonnet. Seems that removing the hinges is the answer etc..

I did notice when screwing up the pin plate that there was a what looked like an arrow or A, so we pointed that to the front. Does yours have that? Is it pointing the same - to the front??

Thinking back, the pin was touching the rim of the hole and a little pressure allowed it in, so maybe it wasn't the best idea to push it down a bit..... so I'll get the round file out again tomorrow - I had to make the hole in the bulkhead a bit bigger today for the cable. Only God knows where the cable release was fitted originally - we didn't take a photo and no holes seem to fit (Lesley says it was just hanging loose)..

Many thanks Andy - looking forward to seeing you and Dom at WWW and having a natter over a pint or two..... Hilda will be there, but I suspect the odds are that she'll be on a trailer, if I can find one (usual hirer has had one nicked and the other crashed!).

Thanks to all 3 for your responses..

Probably an update due on progress tomorrow.......

Phil
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

Phil,
Just an idea to try before you dismantle everything -
It happens on moderns in accidents, and cars rebuild in the paint shop after knocks-
pin lines up, you drop the bonnet,
You can hear the release move, but the bonnet won't pop up.

The pin that goes into the hole is either forward or backwards of the hole (Ie in-line from the front, out of line from the side) but because either the bonnet or the front panel has got pushed, the pin is catching on the front or rear edge of the slider in the catch and won't pop, (something that gets missed when your checking alignment) and it can be fractions of mm's, might be worth one of you pulling the release and the other - gently - pushing the front panel top, or pulling the bonnet forward fingers between bonnet and scuttle.
worth a try before taking things apart!
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Thanks guys..

Bonnet now sorted, still needs some final adjustment (probably a stronger spring). We undid the hinge under the scuttle and a little shuffle allowed it to spring loose.

We put the donuts back on this afternoon, one was a bit of a sod, but got there in the end (loosening the rear engine mount helped!). We also routed the throttle and choke cables to the carb and brought the fuel pipe to the engine compartment.

Lesley's been cleaning up the dynamo and starter (again - they got dirty in the garage). She's also lined the bonnet with some sort of lining carpet to tidy it up as it's a fibreglass and not a great finish. She put the bonnet rubber on and it was easier than we'd expected as some of the edges looked a bit thick.. the small mallet helped.

As the car was on axle stands I've corrected the rear brake shoes - see earlier post from Malcolm.

We've ordered some new coloured rocker switches to replace the ones that are not working - will now have to work out how to fit them to the panel that has been cut for bigger ones

Next week is cooling system and engine ancilliaries.

Phil

Imp009
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Glad you got it open ,my tip is take the head lights out to do your final adjustment ,this way if you close the bonnet and it wont open you can undo the latch on the bonnet as you can get your hand in via the head light hole with your 7/16 spanner ,I know this works as I do it when I build a car

col
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Hi Colin

I'd thought of taking out the heater fan.. but I could move the release arm via the grommet hole, but it didn't make any difference. I think pushing the rubber trim off and getting fingers under the bonnet may have allowed us to flex the fibreglass enough.. it's all good learning though (and fun.. not !).

Adjusting in situ seems a good idea, I'll rememebr that one.

Do you have any tips on getting doors to close properly - they are aligned and catch on the first catch but don't go all the way - same issue with the rear hatch.... maybe the new rubber isn't flattening enough.
67cali
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van 1969 (G)

Post by 67cali »

colin rooney wrote:Glad you got it open ,my tip is take the head lights out to do your final adjustment ,this way if you close the bonnet and it wont open you can undo the latch on the bonnet as you can get your hand in via the head light hole with your 7/16 spanner ,I know this works as I do it when I build a car

col
Now that's one top tip. I'll be sure to apply that when I check the operation.
Meerkat Pete
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - Progress

Post by philgsmith »

We've had a good weekend working on Hilda.

I torqued up the donuts, but I now seem to have some transaxle oil dripping from the right hand drive shaft - I am not sure why.

We have plumbed in the fuel line to the pump and carburettor, installed the radiator, water pump and all of the pipe work. I installed the clutch slave cylinder and connected up the hydraulics.

We then moved on to installing the starter and dynamo and exhaust, plus installed the plugs and leads. With time running out today we put 5 litres of petrol in the tank, a few litres of oil and filled the radiator and gave the starter a whirl.

The engine turns quickly on the starter, and sounded fine but we didn't get petrol coming through the filter. So we tried a few basics tests - blew some compressed air back down the fuel line and from the noise in the tank the line must be OK (no kinks or pinches). So i removed the fuel pump and it sounds like it is pumping. So I have hatched a plan for next week..... I'm going to open the pump and check the diagphram is OK. Second move is to hook on my hand vacuum pump that I use on the MGF's hydragas and try to pull some petrol through to prime the pump......any other suggestions guys???

In between passing me tools and parts Lesley has been cleaning and painting parts and cleaning up some new Cosmic wheels (yet another set!) that we collected from Devon last week.

Phil
Dom

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - HELP starting problem

Post by Dom »

Possibly similar problem to when you run out the fuel, the line is dry, and there is nothing bit air between the tank and the pump, what I would do, (not a pleasant situation) put your lips around the pipe (before the pump,
But in the engine bay) and suck the fuel threw and then connect it to the pump and Se if that works, if you can't suck any fuel threw, then possibly a block in the pipe or tank, if there is fule in the line and After connecting it to the pump if no fule comes out while turning it over, you know it's the pump, no point messing around with fule pump kits, just wack another one on and try that! I think I have a box with about 15 non working fuel pumps at home :lol:

Good luck! Se you (and the car!) at WWW!!! :)
Dom Smith
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Hi Dom

Good to hear from you.

It's Lesley's car, she can suck on the pipe...... I've got a vacuum pump that I use on the MGF's suspension so I'm trying that first. I may even try to pump or gravity feed some fuel back down the line to fill it.

If the pump is knackereI I may go over to a low pressure electric pump rather than keep trying used mechanical ones (especially since you seem to be collecting a box full!).

WWW - we'll be there and are looking forward to it. The car will be there regardless of whether it's finished - I just need to sort a trailer just in case. We'll see you there.

Phil
Gaffer
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and an Imp project

Post by Gaffer »

hi Phil / Les
we will be there midday Friday, so if you need to borrow my trailer, no probs. Not sure how far it is from yours to Pandy, but if you're stuck for a trailer :D

Pete n Kim.
Trying to keep the faith.
Cally
Car Model: .

Post by Cally »

Has the tank had the vent hose fitted and is it clear,unkinked and into fresh air, because the tank needs to be vented to let air in as hopefully pump operates and fuel is pumped to engine ? Otherwise a vacuum forms and no fuel flow occurs.

Presume you are using a std Solex. Have you tried filling carb with fuel [using small funnel into hose then reconnect hoses]to see if engine fires? I've also started an engine using Damp Start spray into carb that proved pump fitted wasn't up to job of pulling fuel from tank - in my case found cam which drives pump wasn't turning fast enough because starter motor was slightly lazy!

If you'd had a performance cam I'd have asked if it had lobe on it that provides drive to pump arm? Certainly some R17's dont and you need an electric pump
sammy the sturgeon

On the sucking of fuel- just a tip.
It tastes awful, you will get fumes in your lungs- (and if your a smoker, thats not good)
If I have to suck some fuel through a pipe, I put a rubber glove over the end, squash it all up, and suck on the rubber glove, that way if the fuel/fumes do come through, its in the glove in your mouth, and not IN your mouth,

you can use any similar rubber product that expands, errr, in the mouth! :D

A balloon for instance!!!!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Hi Peter

Thanks for the offer. I sourced a trailer today, we're planning on getting to Pandy on the Thursday night with the caravan and then going home on the Friday morning to fetch the car (only 20 miles), leaving Monday with reverse logistics! Looking forward to meeting up.

Cally

Vent hose? Yep I thought of that one, and then realised I hadn't refixed it anyway, so no problem on venting. I'd better check that it's not blocked at the filler though. Certainly a good point. Yep, a standard Solex, standard head and assumed standard cam.

I opened up the pump earlier and diagphram looked good, and the lever pulled it down, spring pushed it back up etc. Rebuilt it and connected a hose and it worked the lever manually and it stuttered then spurted fluid (over the kitchen worktop!), so I think the pump is OK.

I think Dom is on the right track with the the need to prime the fuel line and the pump.

Paul

A balloon for instance!!!!!! that's just what I thought you meant !! haha..

Question - how big does the ballon have to be to suck fuel through a couple of metres of pipe? I might need a balloon bigger than my mouth!

This could get very rude.

cheers guys

Phil
Dave Dickinson

Post by Dave Dickinson »

Getting fuel to the pump
Rather than sucking you can try blowing!
Disconnect the fuel pipe at the pump, put the cap on the tank and the blow through the vent pipe. This usually produces enough pressure to push the petrol along the fuel pipe especially if there is a reasonable head of petrol in the tank. Raising the front of the car will help also.
Dave
Dave Dickinson
philgsmith

Post by philgsmith »

Dave

Compressor may do it then ! I will bear this in mind, and if I need to do it I'll get Lesley to hold the end of the fuel pipe in the petrol jack.

Sounds a good idea - I much prefer the idea of blowing to sucking.

Thanks

Phil
Dave Dickinson

Post by Dave Dickinson »

May not need to go as far as a compressor!
I managed to get mine moving just with lung power :o
Dave Dickinson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Sounds like a good idea to me. :) You would need to block off the petrol tank breather temporarily, though. :idea:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave Dickinson

Post by Dave Dickinson »

No you use the breather/vent pipe to blow down :!:
Dave Dickinson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Oh, I see! :D I misunderstood! :roll: :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - She Runs !!

Post by philgsmith »

Following last week's fuelling problem we decided to use a combination of the solutions suggested. As I had removed the pump last week I decided to prime the pump and carburettor first. I reconnected the pump to the filter hose and manually pump some petrol from a cup until petrol reached the carb, the a few extra pumps to get some into the float chamber. I then used Dave Dickinson's idea and used a pvc pipe on the tank vent to blow some fuel down the hose to the back. I found that the petrol cap can leak air so a hand over the inlet helps seal that end. Once petrol got to the pump we slipped the hose onto the pump. Miraculously the car fired on the first turn of the starter - great after nearly 2 years of inactivity. After 5/6 false starts we managed to keep the car running - it's a bit lumpy but it ticks over at about 900 revs - the new rev counter seems to be doing its job!.. so happy with that too. So a big thankyou to all who contributed a solution.

We then noticed that the wheels were turning even though Lesley had the clutch pedal down to the floor - the back of the car is up on axle stands in case of this very problem. After chatting through the problem with Roy Blunt and consulting the forum we decided that the new clutch plate was probably stuck to the flywheel - it was only assembled in July so I wasnt expecting this. So we started the car in gear with Lesley flooring the clutch, raised the revs and pulled on the hankdbrake. A swift release and 2nd try seemed to release the plate without the expected bang..

After lunch we bled the new brake pipes - I am now knackered from moving around the car - the front is on the floor and the right hand side close to the garage wall..

Lesley also busied herself between pedal pushing, by cleaning the wiper arms/blades and rebuilding the switch panel for the after market switches that we have bought for the reversing lamp, rear fog and fan.

Hoping for dry weather tomorrow to get the car out of the garage under its own steam! Need to put a driver's seat in first.

Is it usual to get a shock off the dynamo? I twice touched the dynamo when the engine was running and I got a shock....... wasn't expecting that - any comment/advice?

Phil
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

Despite being in neutral the wheels turning is most likely transmission drag, quite normal on any car and more evident when the oil is cold and thick.

Car looks great and coming together nicely.

Brian
GURNSIMPS

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Well done guys,awesome effort,mot/tax then wicked welsh here we come eh?
Loving Imps since 1963!!
sammy the sturgeon

Woo hoo i bet you nearly had a moment when she fired up!
she's looking good and running - you must pat yourselves on the back for getting to this stage

Well done to both of you
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ What Paul said! Congratulations on getting to an important stage in the restoration! 8) I hope Hilda continues to come together smoothly and in time for WWW in a couple of weeks. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dom

Post by Dom »

So pleased for you! Great work and great effort from you both :)!
Dom Smith
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -More Progress

Post by philgsmith »

Thanks Guys,

Your comments are really appreciated.

We didn't get the car out of the garage as it rained as expected but we got more of the jobs out of the way.

The interior is now almost complete. I fitted the carpets and the front seats. I sourced Mk2 XR2 seats from a scrap yard just after we bought Hilda in 2011. I stripped and recovered them. They fitted easily, we only had to drill one hole each side on the back of the frame. However , they seem to be at a slight angle to the front of the car and we don't know why because we used the original holes in the floor of the car. We're going to try to adjust them next week.

Door window winders, new steering wheel and gearknob have been fitted and we've now got the bonnet opening and closing properly. Philip fitted a different spring and did a bit of adjusting.

We fitted the exhaust last week and then realised that we should have refitted the heat shield first. We didn't have it with us so it had to wait until this weekend. The exhaust went back on a lot more easily than our first attempt.

We fitted the rear bumper and have started to have a look at the rear window. Philip disappeared down the shed this evening and came back with a new temporary longer plate for the lock, which he'd made out of some metal which was hanging around. Let's hope this solves the problem.

I removed the rubber doors seals from both doors and they now shut easily. We suspected this was the problem, but we need to refit them to stop the water getting in, which means the problem will recur. We bought them off Ebay just after we had the car and I'm wondering if they're too thick.

I've managed to get some new tyres and we'll get these fitted onto the alloys some time this week. I have Minilites replicas and Cosmics and can't decide which ones to use at the moment.

We've ordered inertia reel seat belts for £58 each plus sundry plates and bolts from FDTS Ltd- this was the company recently recommended on the forum. Let's hope they're straightforward to fit. They've been really helpful. New halogen headlamps are also on the way, but we may not fit them until after the WWW.

We've had a chat with the garage at the bottom of Philip's' dad's street and we're going to take the car down there for the MOT.

Lesley
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - More Progress

Post by impmann »

Hi Lesley,

The holes in the 'feet' of the seats are much bigger than the bolts (hence the need for big washers), therefore you can take up a lot of adjustment there. Hope that resolves it for you.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
philgsmith

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp -How much is an Imp worth

Post by philgsmith »

Hi All,
I've arranged insurance for Hilda and asked for agreed value. The documents have come through and they state that they will base things on current market publications. The August issue of Practical Classics state that a MK 3 Imp is worth £2500 concours and £1900 condition 1 which is really low in my opinion. This is with Equity Red Star as they were the cheapest for me. This wasn't stated when I discussed the quote.
I'm sure good Imps are changing hands for a lot more than this and I don't want Hilda underinsured. I' willing to ditch this company and find another if necessary.
Could anyone give me their opinion of how much a good Imp is worth/what your are valued at?
Thanks
Lesley
graham_h_miller
Car Model: Hillman Husky

Re: VWX 317L - Hilda, Lesley's Imp - How much is an Imp wort

Post by graham_h_miller »

From what I've seen (I was looking and bought recently) so I have some idea: a rough one with an MoT around £1,800ish but for the kind of thing you're building I'd say values around £4,000?

HTH

Graham
Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles...