Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

JJN
Club Member: No
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

"DRU 596L" Moving on

Post by JJN »

Hey all,

I Think its about time i started one of these readers cars topics.
It all started around Easter this year when i started looking for a First car to do some work on over the summer as i am 17 on October 18th. I wanted it to be classic for different reasons because its cheaper too insure and there easier to work on than all these modern cars. I am very lucky because my dad owns a Motorsport preparation/engineering company so luckily he had most of the equipment i need for the project. But before i started dad made clear he wouldn't do the work for me just point me in the right direction and help out on some things like filling and prepping it for paint. I searched on the internet for lots of different cars and couldn't decide what car to get. I went to an ashby fulvey meet one month and i saw a red hillman imp which (rev racing) owns. I thought that's the car i want.

So i went home and did some research and found out it was a hillman imp. I had heard of them vaguely before but couldn't put a face to the name. I now could and every time i saw a picture of one it got nicer and nicer so i thought this is what i want rwd small engine and classic but best of all it looks amazing. So i started looking all around the internet for some and i found one on classic cars for sale. It was near oxford but me and my dad where going down near it the next day for the rally day at corn bury park. So we decided to go look at it. Straight away i knew it was what i wanted so we went back the next week and picked it up. I had brought my first car a hillman imp.

I wanted to work on it straight away but for the next 2 weeks i had my Gcse exams so i had to wait but as soon as i finished i started. But i thought where do i start? I took a risk as the car hadn't been on the road since 1988 and was stood in a garage since then the body wasn't too bad except for the arches but i had a idea in mind for that ;). So i started first to get the engine running it only took me and my dad about an hour to do check the plugs fluids and top em up and all that stuff and started :D That was the biggest smile on my face in a long while.

My first problem was a siezed up water pump :( I looked at buying another one but this was about £80 which i didn't have the money for but i had a alternate way around. when i took it apart i realized that one of the seals had broken and the impeller shaft had corroded and seized. So i jumped on a lathe and started to turn it down and remove the corrosion i then put a sleeve over the shaft to get it back to size put in new seals and off i went with a working water pump.

so now we knew the engine worked i started on the front end. Dad didn't want me too do it all at once as there's alot of work so we decided to do the front end then the back. So i stripped down the front suspension and the front bay. Then the dreaded job of cleaning the underseal off Worst job on the car :( After that i cleaned up all the suspension bits and painted them and reassembled it. I reundersealed the front end of the floor and put the front suspension back on. I had to wait a few weeks for some bearing to finish rebuilding my steering rack then i put that back on. I then started on the arches and i got the wide arches off malcolm anderson because i could cut out the rust and tub the arches and weld in some new bits but it wasnt a problem as after school on wednesdays i went to welding club and learnt how to weld so this helped a lot with my project. After they were fitted i started to strip the rear suspension and remove the tramsmission because i am going to get it sprayed and i would like the engine bay to be painted as well.

At this point i realized i needed new wheels to fill the arches and to make the car look better when it was finished. I looked around at alloys but didn't want to get minilights ass they are too popular so with some persuasion from my dad i found on eBay some starmags. :)

As i got to this point Dad mentioned to me to go for a full respray as i had gone this far i might as well go all the way so off i went stripping out the interior and windows. After a long days work with some help from dad it was just a shell :). I also fitted a front bib spoiler to go with the arches and this is where i am now still preparing it for paint.

But over the last month progress has slowed down because i have started college in bicester doing motorsport engineering and i stay down here for 3 days and work thursday and friday to pay for the imp :| so this only gives me weekends but its getting there and should go to get sprayed before the end of October. I will update this when it is back from the paint shop and flat out work to reassemble it before christmas which is my deadline i have set but ill have to see if i can hopefully i will :wink: Ill add some photos hopefully in the next few days as i cant get the photos from my phone on to this Laptop :evil:

Anyway this maybe abit long and boring but thought you all might to know about my project.

Thanks Jack :D :D
Last edited by JJN on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1972 Hillman imp super.
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Re: DRU 596L First car Project

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Welcome Jack!
I'd say you made the best possible choice for a classic car. :wink: Also, you won't regret joining this forum and the Imp Club.
Apparently you have good access to workshop facilities and obviously some skills of your own.
Looking forward to read more about your progress, and some pictures.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bazzateer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

PICTURES!!!!!!! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

I casn only second what Baz has said. Sounds like some excellent work. Which we now want to see :lol:
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

I too can't wait for the pics,welcome to the forum.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

JJN wrote:Anyway this maybe abit long and boring...
Nope. It isn't at all boring. :wink:
JJN wrote:...but thought you all might to know about my project.
Yes, we do. :mrgreen: Welcome to the Club and the forum! And the sometimes madcap world of Hillman Imps and their cousins. These cars are a huge amount of fun.

It certainly sounds as though you know what you are doing when it comes to restoring and repairing your car, which will help. :mrgreen:

But we do also need PICTURES... :P

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
JJN

Post by JJN »

Here are some photos :)
sorry i haven't put any up yet I have been busy but there up now.

Me sorting out the engine bay

Car Jacked up to remove the underseal. Horrible job :(

Comparing underseal to no underseal. Solid floor all round which was good :)

Front suspension components cleaned and painted.

Fuel Tank cleaned and painted.

Taped wide arches on and stuck some wheels under to have a look at what it might look like ;)

Welding in new H towers.

H tower finished :)

Front arches on still work to do.

Engine and gearbox out need to clear the rest of the stuff out.

Rear arch nearly finished still some sanding and filling to do.

Front bib spoiler riveted on.

Front bib spoiler on. Still a little more work needed on it.

And front end primered with still some work needed but nearly ready for paint. :D

So that is where it is at at the end of least week and ill update it when its off to the paint shop and when its back.
Which will hopefully be soon because
I cant wait. :)
1972 Hillman imp super.
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

looks like a good one, and thorough aswell.

Now when can the club visit that there workshop, and play with all the toys in there??

Seriously, looks like your doing a very good job - keep it up and keep posting pictures, brings things to life,
Welcome to the club
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
imp1973
Car Model: Hillman Imp Caledonian

Post by imp1973 »

Great project jack and nice progress made. Keep it up and keep us posted, like said with loads of pics to bring it to life. All the best mate, and welcome to the club.

Good to see more youngsters getting into imps aswel to keep them going strong.

Matty.
Matty.
Hillman Imp Caledonian - Work In Progress!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Ditto what those guys said. :mrgreen:
imp1973 wrote:Good to see more youngsters getting into imps aswel to keep them going strong.
Absolutely! It's great to see! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
MuNi_rider
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by MuNi_rider »

Looks like an amazing project youve got there mate and the arches and bib spoiler really suit it! Any thoughts on what colour youre going to paint it? :D
Welcome to the club
low and slow
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Hi there
Looks as if you got the bib spoiler sitting very well.
I got one from Malcolm which does not seem to fit all that well. Seems a little too wide.
May I ask how much fettling you had to do to yours please?
Thanks
JJN

Post by JJN »

Hey I think I have chosen the color for the car but your going to have to wait till i post a pic when its back from paint ;)

And with the bib spoiler there wasn't that much fetteling to do but one side fitted perfect the other was a little out but blended it in so it looks good. The arches were a lot harder to get on and looking right but its just time and patience when fitting them on which i don't have much of when filling and sanding but thankfully my dad did help a little with the arches and spoiler.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Hi
It would seem I just need to 'play about' with positioning to get the same effect as you.
Thanks for that.
john-d
Car Model: Imp

Post by john-d »

how did you attach the arches, can you give a flow chart type directions, look ace
stuartrf
Car Model: singer chamois mk 2 singer chamois mk1
Location: swanley, high brooms, tonbridge, hildenbrough,hadlow

Post by stuartrf »

are you going to do any thing with the engine ?
this would be a verry good time to fit a front rad if you go for any thing quite lairy
stu
child: 'why do you wear a full face helmet on your bike'
me: to protect my head, cause thats where the happy thoughts are made
JJN

Post by JJN »

Stuart as i am 17 and insurance is robbery i am going to keep it as a standard 875 at the moment but i am thinking of rebuilding a 998 throughout next year slowly then putting that in and i might mount a front rad then because at the moment i dont have the money for a rad or the time as it is off to the paint shop on thursday :).

And John with the arches firstly i tubbed them so when i put bigger wheels on there is more space for them. so firstly i cut off a bout 60-70 mm off the outter arch and then tapped out the inner arch to it and weld the inner and outter arch together.
Then with the arches i spent nearly a day trying to line them up with the help of clico clamps ( If that is how u spell it) and then pop riveted them on with countersink rivets.
Then i trimmed the edges with a mini air grinder to sand off the edge of the arch a little so its a bit more flush with the panel.
Then you should fill the gap from underneath with seam sealer to help stick it on and fill any gaps.
Then finally the final tediouse job of filling and sanding and then filling and sanding until you get them as good as you want them.
1972 Hillman imp super.
imp1973

Post by imp1973 »

nice mate. you seem to know what you are doing. cant wait for pics when in paint mate :)
Matty.
stuartrf
Car Model: singer chamois mk 2 singer chamois mk1
Location: swanley, high brooms, tonbridge, hildenbrough,hadlow

Post by stuartrf »

JJN wrote:Stuart as i am 17 and insurance is robbery i am going to keep it as a standard 875 at the moment
:lol: i knoe how you feel mate when i got my imp insured when i passed my test (3 years ago) the best i could find was £1150 and that was for a bog standard chamois!
you will be amaised with what some insurance companies will let you add onto your insurance and wont affect the price i phoned up mine to see how much it would cost for me to fit my 1040 bvh r21 cam and twin dellortos proabibly pushing 100bhp and i was told it wouldent make any difference! :D i really should get that bl***y thing built :lol:
child: 'why do you wear a full face helmet on your bike'
me: to protect my head, cause thats where the happy thoughts are made
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

stuartrf wrote:
JJN wrote:Stuart as i am 17 and insurance is robbery i am going to keep it as a standard 875 at the moment
:lol: i knoe how you feel mate when i got my imp insured when i passed my test (3 years ago) the best i could find was £1150 and that was for a bog standard chamois!
you will be amaised with what some insurance companies will let you add onto your insurance and wont affect the price i phoned up mine to see how much it would cost for me to fit my 1040 bvh r21 cam and twin dellortos proabibly pushing 100bhp and i was told it wouldent make any difference! :D i really should get that bl***y thing built :lol:
1st year of driving my imp at 19 my insurance on a 998 bvh R20 cam with twin 40's comes in at under 400 quid with no claims bonus (classic) and unlimited millage!
The car is looking ace btw!
JJN

Re: "DRU 596L" First car Project - Gone to paint

Post by JJN »

Well Finally the car has gone to the paint shop :)

After months of work on my car it has finally gone to paint never thought id see the day :)
we took it there on wednesday and hopefully he will start on it next week and i should have it back in a few weeks time.

Here it is on the trailer ready to go

Here it is in the paint shop waiting for paint :D

Cant wait till its back but in the mean time ive got to get my rear suspension rebuilt.

Also basil and stuart what insurance companys are you using?
1972 Hillman imp super.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Wow! :shock: That's going to look ace with some paint on it! It already does, in fact. :wink:

EDIT - I just skim read this thread again but cannot find any mention of colour. :?: Will it be going back in the same shade again?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
JJN

Post by JJN »

IM u wont find any thing about the colour because i am keeping that a secret so youll have to wait until i upload a picture when it is painted. But it wont be in the same shade ;)
1972 Hillman imp super.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Cool. 8) I can wait. Just tell the paint people to get their fingers out, eh? :P :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp1973

Post by imp1973 »

ImpManiac wrote:Cool. 8) I can wait. Just tell the paint people to get their fingers out, eh? :P :wink:

IM 8)
Lol yer they cant keep us waiting this long!

The turn around of this car is great btw rearly impressed. :)
Matty.
MiniChris

Post by MiniChris »

I can only echo what BasilImp said about the engine - it isn't as bad as you might expect. The same 998 was no more expensive than a standard 875.

Loving the look of this build so far.
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

hi Jack,

fantastic project and rapid progress too.

You mention Ashby Follville, are you near Leiceser then? - if so feel free to come along to our monthly meeting at the Bulls' Head, on the A47 near the Desford cross roads, this thursday the 3rd Nov

Cheers
Brian
revracing
Car Model: Hillman imp 76

Post by revracing »

Wow just saw this thread I can't believe rosie (my imp) has inspired someone to build an imp! Hopefully it won't be red else we will be getting them confused :wink:
James Williams
Hillman imp caledonian 76 "Rosie"
JJN

Post by JJN »

Hey thanks for all the comments, and thought i would give you all an update as the car is still in the paint shop :)
Hopefully it will only be another week or 2 but dont know still need to take the doors and bootlid over on saturday so it will still be a while.

Anyway heres some other parts for my car :)

My recaro seat my mum and dad got me for my birthday. :)

the steering wheel i am intending to put into the car when its done.

And my starmag wheel with new yokohama a539 tyres on.

Seeing these parts lying around the workshop and going to silverstone last saturday to watch the brukett 6 hour race and seeing the imps there is making me itch to get the car back and start rebuilding it.
Cant wait. Thanks again and I will update it soon when its back from the paint shop.
1972 Hillman imp super.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That seat looks comfortable. :) And the wheels look like they'll set the car off really well. :P

Excellent! Make sure to keep us lot posted. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
john-d
Car Model: Imp

Post by john-d »

dying to see this
imp1973

Post by imp1973 »

Looking good. Its going to make a great car this im sure.
Matty.
JJN

Re: "DRU 596L" Now in paint!!!

Post by JJN »

Well here it is my car finally in the clolour i want it to be. :D :D

Now all i have got to do is try and remeber how it goes back together. :?

And thanks for all the comments.
1972 Hillman imp super.
MuNi_rider
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by MuNi_rider »

That looks amazing! The paint looks like glass, very impressive!! Good luck piecing it back together, and hopefully itll be at the national weekend?
low and slow
imp1973

Post by imp1973 »

Niiiice! good choice of colour, looks very nice indeed mate. :D
Matty.
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

I like that intense blue, and the glass gloss. :D
Hope your memory serves you well, now when you'll start putting it together. :wink: :lol:
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Looking good.
Always satisfying seeing your project in paint, when I restored my Midget it fairly lifted my spirits to finaly see it on paint.
No holding you back now.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Col Imp14
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

Looks great!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

Thats looking beautiful. Some very high quality work done by the look of it. Can't wait to see it in the metal. Imp003
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Hi there
Excellent paint job.

May I ask which colour it is please? Planning to do my Series 1 Montecarlo in a 'blue' and the colour you have chosen looks ideal. :)

Return to “Readers Cars”