WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Lars Hagermark
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Hi all!
I think it's time ...
I've been wanting a Coupé ever since I first saw one in 1967. Considering it took 40 years before I was in a position to get one, a mere 3 years of ownership before starting a thread isn't too long I think. 8)
This car was advertised in Impressions in April or May -07, but didn't sell. Six months later it appeared in the Forums "Cars and Parts for sale" section. Seller e-mailed pictures and document copies and also seemed to give honest answers to my questions so I bought the car for an agreed price. Only problem was that car & seller wasn't "next door". Stockholm - Dublin round trip was a long haul, approx. 1800 miles, and WTG950H didn't have a MOT or insurance so had to be trailered.
However, every mile and minute of that haul was true joy and now WTG950H lives with me in a good home.
Californian ¾-view OF.jpg
Some of you on here have seen the car IRL. It was owned from new (Sept. 4, 1969) by the late Douglas Davies who gave it a lot of TLC for 32 years and also took it to a number of Nationals. When delivered WTG950H was Oxford Blue but I've been told that Mr.Davies very soon had it resprayed in Balmoral Grey.
The only modifications I've done/will do are reversible, except for the paint.
- Halogen mains with internal parking light
- Wheels 13" x 6" with 185/60 rubber
- Monte Carlo springs
- Front disc brakes
- 998 with sports camshaft carburettors & exhaust
Haven't decided on paint yet but perhaps in the future I'll take it back to Oxford Blue (or very similar). If I do that I think I'll have to fill the centre portion of the side alu-mouldings with Balmoral Grey - a homage to Mr.Davies.
Have also applied for a personal registration number. I can not have WTG950H on Swedish plates, looks to similar to a normal number, but hope to have H059GTW (reversed original).
To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lars Hagermark

Re: WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Now, before you ask for more recent pictures I have to say: There aren't any. :oops:
Hopefully you'll soon understand why.
The agreement to buy WTG was made in the beginning of Nov -07 but I wasn't able to travel until middle of Dec -07, which in fact was good. Before bringing WTG home I had to clear the garage from the "good-to-have" stuff I had kept there for to long.
On Dec 13 the garage had enough space to accommodate an Imp when I went off for Dublin and WTG.
In the evening Dec 17, while waiting in Dublin port for embarkation I took the first picture of my Californian. :D
Dublin port.JPG
Late in Dec 21 I was back home. For the first time (to my knowledge) the Cali was driven on Swedish soil. A very short drive though - only 20 meters into a garage that didn't have electricity, hence no light or heating, but offered adequate protection against wind, rain and snow.

To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

For the next couple of days nothing really happend (with regards to WTG950H) but on Christmas day she came out for a ...
Family inspection
Family inspection.JPG
Only a couple of days later Scandinavian winter put my plans for WTG on hold (for the first time).
WTG had to wait in the garage. Monte Carlo springs, sports exhaust was bought from Uncle Malc and Aled kindly helped me to get a V5C to replace the V5W that Swedish DVLA/VOSA wouldn't accept. Apart from that nothing really happened to WTG. For a long time I had to keep other things going so 2008 & 2009 just slipped away.
I was rehearsing/acting most of the time, in 2 or 3 plays simultaneously. I also renovated the house and garden, my mother died, my youngest son graduated and my daughter married, so a few domestic family matters to take care of. Also, it seems like winters are becoming worse. Longer, colder & with more snow every year lately.
Last summer matters moved forward - a little bit.
Electricity was installed in the garage, I insulated the walls (4") and ceiling (6"), painted walls & cieling, rearranged shelves and workbench, made a new door (200x235 cm, up & over) using the old fixings/runners. Could have bought one - for £1600 + delivery & installation. Making it myself ended at £150 + happiness & pride!
Working with mineral or fibreglass wool becomes extremely itchy when temps are +32ºC to 35ºC!
Then, in September - just before I was to connect heating radiators, lights and switches - everything was paused again for cataracts op's. First to my right eye and 5 weeks later to my left. Was told by the doctor, and she stressed it, to keep away from dusty environments for at least 4-5 weeks after each op.
When the "moratorium" ended... it was winter again. I.e. -10ºC or below and 30-50 cm with snow.
However, my much improved eyesight is a more than sufficient compensation for the recent (last?) delay.
Looking forward, with "new" eyes, to spring & summer.
WTG will get much more attention then!
WaiTinG will be over.
If not sooner, please come back in April.

PS
I don't know much about the life of WTG between June 2001 and April 2007.
Anyone who has some information, please post it or PM to me.
DS
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Introducing new "team member".
Will he eventually be responsible for important pre-race checks? :wink:
If he comes out from under the car looking this happy I'll know the doughnuts are ok. :lol:
En soffa nära dig_rs.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Despite many previous troubles, not with the cars though, today felt almost like an extra Xmas - exactly halfway between the real ones. This arrived in the afternoon:
IMG_0704_red.jpg
Two more in the boxes. :D :D :D
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

My back isn't any better but I try as good as I can. Took the fuel tank out to replace brake master cylinder - 0.625" out, 0.7" in. Heard a rattling noise when I lifted the tank. Found 14 of these :o :
IMG_0734.jpg
Appears to be some sort of lead(?) "additive". I'll not put them back.
I'd rather put a label on the air filter box saying: Dear God, please save the valve seats of this engine. :lol:
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Been a very long time since I posted anything on WTG. Having some health problems. Medication appears to work ok so far, but makes me indescribably tired. Work hasn't come to a full stop though, it's just progressing in very slowly. Happy to say that today was a pretty productive day despite the slow pace. Tomorrow I hope to fit elec. SU fuel pump and separate larger containers for hydraulic fluids. Knocked up brackets that'll fit without drilling through the bodywork anywhere. Successfully :D trial fitted tonight and Hammerite painted. Haven't got any recent pictures right now.
DSC00090.JPG
DSC00091.JPG
IMG_0813_R.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Thank you for your nice and encouraging words.
Still moving on but very slow. Most noticeable now is relocated fluid reservoirs and the original one giving room for a bigger bottle for windscreen washer fluid. 4 litre is quite handy and also, hopefully, topping it up will be easier compared to the old 1+ litre plastic bag. External pump not yet connected.
DSC00102.JPG
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Noddy wrote:... whats the cap part from ?
It's made up from pipes of two 5 litre fuel cans. I prised off the screw-on connector from one pipe, cut the flexi hose of the other to suitable length and fitted said connector there. The mounting flange (actually three flanges) I cut from a plastic cutting board. Apart from the flange seen there are two more under the steel panel to stop the filler neck from "creeping" down. Hope this pic shows what I mean.
Filler neck.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Contrary to plan, the only labelling done today was inspired by this comment.
The Nun wrote:... but dont forget to label it as screen wash, ... :o
2014 Juni 04.JPG
Electrics tested. Wohoo! Everything works! :D :D :D
Today I decided it was time to tidy up the garage before the next steps.
Also looked into all "good to have" boxes and found the radio I knew I had... somewhere. Mono sound, 3 AM and 2 FM bands - nothing more. Was bought 1970 so definitely a period accessory. Shall try to fit it into the original aperture above the glove box. Think now is the best time to do it. Only problem is a small one. 5 mm to be precise. One corner of the radio needs to "share" a little bit of space with the demister manifold. Might be tricky to solve but I think a true period radio can be worth some thinking and trying.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Small steps, but significant for peace of mind.
Main fuse (40A) in engine compartment, along with brake light fuse.
DSC00841.JPG
More fuses and relays added in boot. Also heated water for windscreen washer.
IMG_0841.jpg
Boot as it looks now.
IMG_0848.jpg
Inside of fuse box cover (before I forget what's what and where).
More details and wiring diagram in Members section, Electric help.
IMG_0860.jpg
Everything back in place and working.
Added a wiper interval control switch and a switch for SU fuel pump.
IMG_0859.jpg
And for some pleasure and comfort - radio speakers and bottle/cup holders in door pockets.
IMG_0857.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Just fitted this at top of rear screen.
IMG_0865.jpg
And this in the front.
IMG_0862.jpg
Close up.
IMG_0863.jpg
Boot cover came with the car. Would be a shame not using it. :lol:
I wonder if there's a history/story connected to it.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Final "design" before fitting. Ready made lights available here were too big and obscured view in rear mirror so I made up my own. An old desk-top computer "donated" its' covers to the good-to-have-storage. Thank you computer. :wink:
IMG_0867.jpg
Fitted
IMG_0868.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

At last... 998 engine on its' way into the Californian.
(Battery temporarily connected for the ten o'clock news on the car radio.)
IMG_0874.jpg
Hopefully happy days aren't to far away now.
Has any one got a picture of a sport heat shield to post, please. Want to make a sport "replica" - to avoid cutting the original std. shield.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Sitting by the pooter with an aching back but nevertheless in a good mood.
At last I've got (almost) everything connected and could try turning the engine with the starter. First attempt was a bit worrying though. Oil was dripping from the filter (canister type) and I couldn't see any oil coming through to the oil pressure take off. Investigated and found two faults of my own.
1 - canister wasn't fully "home" and 2 - gasket between block and filter main body was fitted wrong way round. :shock:
From now on I don't recommend trusting your finger tips when fitting the gasket in an almost dark environment. :wink:
Once faults were rectified oil pressure built up without visible leakage, warning light went out and gauge responded.
IMG_0881_640.jpg
Tomorrow, my back permitting, I'll fit a new - longer - accelerator cable, heat and splash shields and silencer. Fill up with coolant and fuel and... hope for the best. :D
Some cleaning remains too, then... :D :D :D
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

All major components tested and working. :D
Now it's time for the "small print". Like cleaning number plate lights before fitting LED's.
IMG_0885_320.jpg
Was very easy to remove, no corroded screws, nuts or wire connectors.
Lucky to have a car that appears to have been pretty well cared for by previous owner(s). *)
I think it's worthwhile to attend to the little things too, despite I'll have to wait even more before I can drive it.

*) Wish I knew more about WTG's history from June 2001 to May 2007.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Those number plate lights can be a real pain due to badly fitting bulbs and corrosion due to water ingress , later ones had an alloy cup around the lamp holder part to keep the damp out .
Worth trying to find a pair if you can
You can just about see what i mean in this photo. This lights a modern fake ooh sorry copy but Lucas did this on theirs
Formally known as " Noddy "
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Thank you for the advise. I'll certainly try to find two proper ones.
For the time being I've made up some protection by using heat shrink sleeves in 3 different dimensions.
Something like this:
Number plate light.jpg
Time will tell if and how it works.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Noddy wrote:... the main problem is the gasket for the cover and glass that lets the water in which is quite frankly rubbish , the alloy ring does stop rain getting into the lamp holder .
Ah, now I get the whole picture. :lol:
Have tried to do something similar with new gaskets cut from 1 mm neoprene rubber and a rubber O-ring.
The metal cover appears to press the O-ring down and inwards towards the glass bowl.
Here's the full section illustration:
Number plate light 2.jpg
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Slightly modifying a Moto-Lita steering wheel. Didn't fancy their standard black plastic centre cap so I ordered a polished billet aluminium centre cap. Very nice but... polished meant just that. Mirror finish in fact. When fitted I was looking at myself from the cap (sun reflection was another concern). Took the mirror finish off with 600 + 1000 wet-n-dry. Now the matted cap looked a bit... well, I wanted to have something more than 3½" of matt aluminium.
An Imp or Hillman logo in the centre of the centre wouldn't look out of place! Where could one be found? Internet?
Found the "winged" Hillman logo but it didn't feel quite right. To much of 1950s.
Then I found a key-ring from Classic Capsule with a round metal badge. Problem solved!
In a shallow recess the badge will be glued (Loctite Epoxy) to the steering wheel centre. Something like this:
DSC00855.JPG
Picture shows just a "first impression" which I quite like.
Tomorrow I'll mill the recess, glue the badge in place and fit the steering wheel. :D
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

More than three months since I posted something on WTG950H.
There are more than one reason. Most obvious are Christmas celebrations with daughter's family and two lovely grandsons. They live in Malmö, 400 miles away, so it's quite a trip. I was away from home (and the garage) for two weeks. Didn't feel like that long as I was entertained by this little chap all the time.
IMG_0938min.jpg
Think we both enjoyed talking to each other. :lol:
Now, back to WTG950H. Work has been slow because of my aching back. I had hopes for it to go away by itself or by magic but that didn't happen.
Couldn't understand why until my doctor told me the x-ray result - osteoarthritis in hips and lower spine.
I couldn't help saying "Thank you" when she told me. So glad I know now. Helps to make more realistic time estimations in the future, and avoid unrealistic project plans. (Like buying the G15 I looked at a year ago.)
For now I only have "the small and last details" to bring this "project" to its end.
One (of several :lol: ) modification inspired by "Noddy", is making it easier to change head lamp bulbs:
IMG_0967.jpg
A "hinge" and a "locking device" will be added.

I think I've also improved the stone guard for the bell housing:
IMG_0964.jpg
Rest of the list says: modify heat shield to sport type and fit, fit modified stone guard under water pump, fit new seat belts front & rear, fit newly bought disc brake callipers with piston seals, fill hydraulic fluid, bleed brakes and clutch, adjust brakes and front wheels toe-in, mix and fill coolant, put some fuel in, try to start engine. If successful - adjust/fine tune ignition.
Then... TEST DRIVE!! :D
If still happy... wait (unpatiently) for spring, summer, National, WWW and God knows what more. :D
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

DSC_0970.JPG
DSC_0971.JPG

Early impressions cover
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Fired up and drove a short drive round the block. A very small leak from the fuel pump (SU electric in boot) and a sticking choke wire were the only "negatives". There is a short video on farsebook, in the Hillman Imp club group. (Can we post videos here?)
EDIT: Added a link to the video. I had forgotten it can be done. Thanks IM for telling.
EDIT 2, 2017-07-14. Photobucket trying to blackmail me too. So no video here but still somewhere on farsebook, sorry.

After all it was the first day of National weekend, and for once I wasn't sorry to miss it. :D
20150806_201316_480.jpg