WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Lars Hagermark
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am

Hi all!
I think it's time ...
I've been wanting a Coupé ever since I first saw one in 1967. Considering it took 40 years before I was in a position to get one, a mere 3 years of ownership before starting a thread isn't too long I think. 8)
This car was advertised in Impressions in April or May -07, but didn't sell. Six months later it appeared in the Forums "Cars and Parts for sale" section. Seller e-mailed pictures and document copies and also seemed to give honest answers to my questions so I bought the car for an agreed price. Only problem was that car & seller wasn't "next door". Stockholm - Dublin round trip was a long haul, approx. 1800 miles, and WTG950H didn't have a MOT or insurance so had to be trailered.
However, every mile and minute of that haul was true joy and now WTG950H lives with me in a good home.
Californian ¾-view OF.jpg
Some of you on here have seen the car IRL. It was owned from new (Sept. 4, 1969) by the late Douglas Davies who gave it a lot of TLC for 32 years and also took it to a number of Nationals. When delivered WTG950H was Oxford Blue but I've been told that Mr.Davies very soon had it resprayed in Balmoral Grey.
The only modifications I've done/will do are reversible, except for the paint.
- Halogen mains with internal parking light
- Wheels 13" x 6" with 185/60 rubber
- Monte Carlo springs
- Front disc brakes
- 998 with sports camshaft carburettors & exhaust
Haven't decided on paint yet but perhaps in the future I'll take it back to Oxford Blue (or very similar). If I do that I think I'll have to fill the centre portion of the side alu-mouldings with Balmoral Grey - a homage to Mr.Davies.
Have also applied for a personal registration number. I can not have WTG950H on Swedish plates, looks to similar to a normal number, but hope to have H059GTW (reversed original).
To be continued...
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
Lars Hagermark

Re: WTG950H, a 1969 Californian.

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Now, before you ask for more recent pictures I have to say: There aren't any. :oops:
Hopefully you'll soon understand why.
The agreement to buy WTG was made in the beginning of Nov -07 but I wasn't able to travel until middle of Dec -07, which in fact was good. Before bringing WTG home I had to clear the garage from the "good-to-have" stuff I had kept there for to long.
On Dec 13 the garage had enough space to accommodate an Imp when I went off for Dublin and WTG.
In the evening Dec 17, while waiting in Dublin port for embarkation I took the first picture of my Californian. :D
Dublin port.JPG
Californian waiting to go to new home
Late in Dec 21 I was back home. For the first time (to my knowledge) the Cali was driven on Swedish soil. A very short drive though - only 20 meters into a garage that didn't have electricity, hence no light or heating, but offered adequate protection against wind, rain and snow.

To be continued...
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm

For the next couple of days nothing really happend (with regards to WTG950H) but on Christmas day she came out for a ...
Family inspection
Family inspection.JPG
Family approval!
Only a couple of days later Scandinavian winter put my plans for WTG on hold (for the first time).
WTG had to wait in the garage. Monte Carlo springs, sports exhaust was bought from Uncle Malc and Aled kindly helped me to get a V5C to replace the V5W that Swedish DVLA/VOSA wouldn't accept. Apart from that nothing really happened to WTG. For a long time I had to keep other things going so 2008 & 2009 just slipped away.
I was rehearsing/acting most of the time, in 2 or 3 plays simultaneously. I also renovated the house and garden, my mother died, my youngest son graduated and my daughter married, so a few domestic family matters to take care of. Also, it seems like winters are becoming worse. Longer, colder & with more snow every year lately.
Last summer matters moved forward - a little bit.
Electricity was installed in the garage, I insulated the walls (4") and ceiling (6"), painted walls & cieling, rearranged shelves and workbench, made a new door (200x235 cm, up & over) using the old fixings/runners. Could have bought one - for £1600 + delivery & installation. Making it myself ended at £150 + happiness & pride!
Working with mineral or fibreglass wool becomes extremely itchy when temps are +32ºC to 35ºC!
Then, in September - just before I was to connect heating radiators, lights and switches - everything was paused again for cataracts op's. First to my right eye and 5 weeks later to my left. Was told by the doctor, and she stressed it, to keep away from dusty environments for at least 4-5 weeks after each op.
When the "moratorium" ended... it was winter again. I.e. -10ºC or below and 30-50 cm with snow.
However, my much improved eyesight is a more than sufficient compensation for the recent (last?) delay.
Looking forward, with "new" eyes, to spring & summer.
WTG will get much more attention then!
WaiTinG will be over.
If not sooner, please come back in April.

PS
I don't know much about the life of WTG between June 2001 and April 2007.
Anyone who has some information, please post it or PM to me.
DS
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: WTG950H, a 1969 Californian goes to Sweden Part 1(3)

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm

What a lovely example, Lars! And with what sounds like an interesting history, cherished mostly by one owner... and now by you! :P

Great car!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks Paul!
Yes, I think it's a little bit unusual to find a 1969 Imp with same owner for 32 years - from new!
My interpretation is that WTG served the late Mr.Davis very well in return for his regular maintenance and continuous TLC. Hope I can provide the same, and that WTG will do so to.
With a bit of luck WTG will perhaps take me to a National. After all she has been to some so only fair to take me along now when we sort of share our lives. :D

Right now it's -16ºC outside so I'm staying indoors. Forecast says this weather will stay for a week or more. Good to know that Budapest Redux is on its way. Glad I bought IMP02, Impology 2001, Imp odyssey and The Impire strikes back from Steve before. Watching them DVDs is just about the only Imp-related thing I can do for now.

Hope things goes the way you want them to with your Imp. Looking good from what I've seen on here.

Lars :D
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:Hope things goes the way you want them to with your Imp. Looking good from what I've seen on here.
Why, thank you! :D I hope you enjoy your DVDs, as I intend enjoying mine soon. And I also hope that the weather IMProves and you get to work on WTG very soon too. :wink:

IM
Paul Harrison
TAGORAMAN
Car Model: stiletto - chamois - californian - super

Post by TAGORAMAN » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 am

Intresting you should have started a new thread on wtg ..ive just unearthed some photographs of me and Doug Davies with our respctive awards standing aside wtg and my stiletto at the 1992 National at Beale bird park in reading........bear with me and ill get em posted up!! :D
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 pm

TAGORAMAN wrote:Intresting you should have started a new thread on wtg ..ive just unearthed some photographs of me and Doug Davies with our respctive awards standing aside wtg and my stiletto at the 1992 National at Beale bird park in reading........bear with me and ill get em posted up!! :D
^^^ I'll be glad to see them any time. :D
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
belgimper_jac
Club Member: No
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm

ImpManiac wrote:What a lovely example, Lars! And with what sounds like an interesting history, cherished mostly by one owner... and now by you! :P

Great car!
Very nice car: colour, bumpers,hubcaps...seats and carpets seem to be in good condition. :)

Jac.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks Jac.

Yes most things appear to be in very good condition and door gaps, swage line etc. seems to line up.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jens
Car Model: Chamois

Post by Jens » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 am

Nice find, and nice car Lars!!!!!!!
I think your imp is the first car I saw "for sale" on the forum when I was searching mine end of 2007 early 2008, is that possible?
I like it a lot!

Regards.

Laurent
Sunbeam Chamois '67
Laurent Jennes
Belgian Overseas Contact
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:21 am

Jens wrote:Nice find, and nice car Lars!!!!!!!
I think your imp is the first car I saw "for sale" on the forum when I was searching mine end of 2007 early 2008, is that possible?
I like it a lot!

Regards.

Laurent
Hi & thanks Laurent,
yes it is probably the same car. It was late Oct. or early Nov. -07 when the deal was made.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:46 am

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:... a personal registration number. I can not have WTG950H on Swedish plates, looks to similar to a normal number, but hope to have H059GTW (reversed original).
Now finally, I'll be able to use my garage the way I want to. First thing will be to prepare WTG950H for registration in Sweden.
I have two options regarding a personal registration number. I'd like it to look like a UK number so I thought of reversing it.
Would that be H59GTW or H059GTW? Does UK numbers use leading zeroes?
Also, what do you all think about taking the colour back to Oxford Blue (or very similar) and fill the centre of the "chrome" stripes (now black) with Balmoral Grey - as an homage to the late Doug Davies. I've been informed that he had most of his cars resprayed in that colour.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:00 am

UK reg numbers changed from LLL NNNL (L=letter N=number) to the reverse after Y reg (no Z) so a UK registered car bearing the mark H950 WTG could possibly exist. I don't think there are any instances of leading zeros as there would normally have been less numbers, eg WTG 9H or WTG 95H.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Leading zeroes are not used in UK vehicle registration marks. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:46 pm

As far as the colour goes... its your car, now. 8) Grey isn't an inspiring colour IMHO - my old grey Californian is not going to be grey once its new owner finishes the resto and I think thats great!

Oxford Blue - personally, I'd say that Ming Blue is more period on a Mk3 Californian but then I'm being anally retentive! :lol:
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:03 pm

impmann wrote: Grey isn't an inspiring colour IMHO
Your right there Tim , often thought about respraying mine a different colour and if the bodywork / paint wasnt so good would have done so by now ,
Tis a tad drab , hence the black bonnet just to liven it up a bit :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
TAGORAMAN
Car Model: stiletto - chamois - californian - super

Post by TAGORAMAN » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 pm

The Car was originally Chrysler Midnight blue, so respraying back to anywhere near that certainly wouldnt be a crime. Indeed back in the day when speaking to Doug i always used to tell him that if i'd ever got hold of the car it would be returned back to its original colour!! :D
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 am

Noddy wrote:
impmann wrote: Grey isn't an inspiring colour IMHO
Your right there Tim , often thought about respraying mine a different colour and if the bodywork / paint wasnt so good would have done so by now ,
Tis a tad drab , hence the black bonnet just to liven it up a bit :)
To be fair, Noddy, most people wouldn't describe yours as grey, it's more an off-white. I'd hate to have to look at the reg plate to see which car it is :shock:
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for your replies.
Think I'll go for H59GTW or H950WTG as my personal Swedish registration number to keep the "UK-look" as much as possible.
Haven't made my mind up about the respray. Eventually a dark(ish) blue colour will replace its present, that's already decided.
My main concern is when I'll do it.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Phew! At last!
Every other "must do" has been done! Nothing more 'she indoors' can say to distract me now. :D
WTG950H (AKA 'Little Grey' to the family) has temporarily swapped places with my old club racing Imp. Little Grey is outside, under a good tarpaulin. Club racer is on stands in the garage. Later today a transplant operation will commence. The 998 block and Viva disc brakes will go onto Little Grey. But first, after all this years, the engine and brakes must be checked before Swedish MOT.
For now I'll build the engine back to its original 998 Rallye spec. as bought from Chrysler Comps. dept. some 25 years ago. Not using the Hartwell BV head, combined manifold and 2 x 40 DCOE's (keeping them though).
Pretty soon now I'll probably have a list of more things needed for the rebuild.
Then - thank heavens for all the Imp specialists listed on this site. :D
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 am

^^ Sounds encouraging! 8) So is the grey car getting closer to the road then?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

ImpManiac wrote:^^ Sounds encouraging! 8) So is the grey car getting closer to the road then?

IM 8)
That's my sincere hope. :wink: Trying to give the cars as much time and attention as possible now.
The race car has been in hibernation for decades so I expected most bolts/nuts to be rusted pretty solid by now. Yesterday I soaked nuts and bolts with WD40 and ran out of it. Will get a can or two tomorrow before continuing dismantling preps. Took a few things of the car today. Doughnuts came of very easy, thanks to WD40 I think. Was glad to see that UJ's were free. Shows that my conservation efforts many years ago worked so far. :)
Plans for tomorrow are to take engine & transaxle out as one unit as the engine appears to be "glued" (corroded) to the bellhousing. Probably better trying to split them on the garage floor, properly supported.
If there's any interest I'll keep updates coming (and photos if I can remember to take some).
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:If there's any interest I'll keep updates coming (and photos if I can remember to take some).
You bet there is interest here, Lars! :mrgreen: Keep the updates coming, please.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Jens

Post by Jens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 am

Hi Lars,

Good to hear that!!! Hope the little drive in the Belgian country helped for the motivation!!! Good time!
Hope to see a lot of pics, I'm very interested.
Kind regards.

Laurent
Sunbeam Chamois '67
Laurent Jennes
Belgian Overseas Contact
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 am

It was a pleasure meeting you Laurent and seeing your car. The drive helped that's for sure!

Something called "life" has delayed the progress a bit but it's coming along, slowly but steady.
Happy to say I haven't found any corroded bolts/nuts so far. Considering the race car has been stored for 35 years I'm very glad.
I've got the engine and gearbox out and the disc brake callipers came off easily.
I think the brake discs can be restored. Only surface rust, no pitting.
Sport manifold and 2 x Strombergs will replace Hartwell combined manifold and 2 x DCOE's.
Going to use the Revolution wheels (13" x 6") but with new tyres. Present rubber has good thread but is 30+ years :!: old.
In the next days I'll remove front hubs and brake discs. Also shock absorbers (Spax with adjustable platforms front and Konis rear). May take a couple of days as, once again, "life" has made an intrusion. A very welcome one though. My daughter, son in law and their newly born, my grand son, came to visit yesterday. They'll be staying for a week and I'll probably have my focus dragged away from Imps most of the time :D
More to come later on. :)
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 pm

^^ What a lovely distraction! :D I am sure you will have a lovely week, Lars.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:23 am

Now, at last, I hope I'll be able to go on with WTG950H. Not only "life", but health and other matters, have messed up my plans over the past year so progress has been almost none. Glad to say I think most worries are history now.
Also happy that no unpleasant surprises has turned up during the very few hours I've been able to spend in the garage. Hope things will stay that way.
Finally the 875 is coming out... today! :D
... and a 998 is being completely rebuilt to go in together with professionally restored Viva disc brakes and a few other IMProvements.
I'll not use the Wills ringed BV Hartwell head, Weber 40s and Hartwell combined manifold. For now I'll stick to the 998 Rally spec. I.e. Twin Stroms and sport head. Not decided whether to fit a sport or R17 camshaft. :?
Really looking forward to spend as much time as possible in the garage now. Ultimate goal is to take the car to Perth in August and/or WWW in September. Would be nice to be at the Linwood - Coventry event too, but realistically that would have to be in a modern if it's going to happen.
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens

Post by Jens » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 am

Glad to read that work keeps going.
I"ll follow your post with interest Lars! :D

All the best!
Sunbeam Chamois '67
Laurent Jennes
Belgian Overseas Contact
Impingcrusader
Car Model: 1973 Clan Crusader 1966 Imp deluxe 1971 Imp deluxe

Post by Impingcrusader » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I've got some old 8mm camcorder footage of national 97 at Western supermare, with Doug Davies in the Cali. Was a very wet Sunday!
Ken Acton
73 Clan Crusader
66 Imp deluxe
71 Imp deluxe
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Cant wait to se more lars! :)

Imp029
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Impingcrusader wrote:I've got some old 8mm camcorder footage of national 97 at Western supermare, with Doug Davies in the Cali. Was a very wet Sunday!
Can the footage be transferred via the Internet, i.e. e-mail attachment? My private e-mail is lars'at'ordbruk.se. I'd love to see it.
I'd also be very grateful for any information about the car. Particularly between 2001 and 2007 (that's when I bought WTG), but also from the time when Doug Davies had it - 1969 to 2001.
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Still slow progress, but disc brakes fitted.
(No pictures. You know how disc brakes look like anyway. :wink: )
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Trial fitting. Realized that the disc brake conversion must have a backplate/shield to be accepted by Swedish "MOT". Quite understandable as we have salt on the roads for five months, if not more, every year.
First prototype and a drilling template in the background.
(Will add pictures again, once I've found a way with costs within reason.)
Hub and disc spins freely. :D
Last edited by Lars Hagermark on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm

That's a nice working area, Lars. :D And your backplate/shield looks to be nicely fabricated too. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Oh well, more interruptions. Not life this time, but health has kept me away from the garage and the Californian. Pneumonia and a blood pressure that kept "jumping" irregularly from high to low extremes. On top of that I was preliminary diagnosed with prostate cancer.
I think that in the last few weeks I've spent more days in hospital and more hours with doctors than aggregated over my whole life before.
Well, it had to be and in the end the outcome was a good one. Thank heavens the pneumonia is cured and the preliminary p.c. diagnose was wrong :D :D :D.
Adding a little red pill to my breakfast keeps blood pressure under control so - hopefully - I'm back to normal again. Happy bunny! :lol:
Today a pair of 1" (sport/van) drive shafts I bought from Ash Cull arrived in the post, and a big box from Malcolm Anderson is on its way. Probably here sometime next week. After that I'll have no excuses. :wink:
Sorry I have give the Linwood & Coventry a miss, but still hope to make it to the National in Perth - in WTG950H.
Optimistic? Have to be - I'm an Imper. :lol:
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Glad to hear the health issues are under control Lars - hope to see you in Perth. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Jens

Post by Jens » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 am

Hi Lars, hope all will be fine for you now.
Keep the good work!
Regards.

Laurent
Sunbeam Chamois '67
Laurent Jennes
Belgian Overseas Contact
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am

Great news on the Cali coming to Perth, Lars. :D Even better news on your health! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep us posted. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Today I received a BIG parcel (25 kgs) from England. Many thanks Malcolm! :D
Now I think I have everything needed to make a car of what's in the garage, except... tyres and possibly two 13" front wheels. Will need both 12" and 13" tyres.
Winter tyres 145 or 155 on 12" x 4½" rims (have them). Summer 185/60 or 175/65 on 13" x 5½/6".
I've heard/seen positive words about Falken, Kumho, Toyo, Yokohama and others. Grateful for any recommendations based on experience!
I have a set of 13" x 6" Revolution four-spoke alloys with ET+24, more or less same as original 12" x 4½" I think.
Car has Viva disc brake kit which increases the front track by 1.4" (0.7" each side). As Viva kit doesn't move the king pin outwards, only using a wider hub, I'd think that 13" x 6" front wheels with an approximate ET+40 could compensate, thus keeping the steering geometry unchanged.
Two questions comes to mind:
1) Is my thinking right about using increased ET to compensate for the wider Viva hub?
2) I've contacted Revolution Wheels asking if they do 13" x 5½/6" wheels with 4" PCD, 63 mm centre hole and ET+34/ET+40 for 7/16" studs. No answer yet. If their answer is negative, does anyone here know about other good sources (manufacturer/reseller) for such alloy wheels?
Now going back to the garage. Lots to do - with or without wheels & tyres. :wink: :D