Singer Chamois coupe, Vickie

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

super66
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Re: Singer Chamois coupe, Vickie

Post by super66 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 pm

colin rooney wrote:i have done a few cars with taking the gutter trim off easy enough job,
Cheers Colin, but yes i was hoping to get some advice on the matter, i know i can get it off but how and will i ruin it?
The resto continues...
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Several methods have had varying degrees of success Noel. Cold chisel, plastic scrapers, some start from the roof edge of the trim, some from under the gutter. I've done a couple first time with a hardwood wedge and a toffee hammer and another time with some plumbers grips with nylon and rubber inserts. Both times worked a treat. Can be fiddly getting back on a newly painted car though!
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Was on the way out and didnt have the time to say how i have done it .to remove with the side window out i use a bit of hard wood about 4 inchs wide and tap the underside gently useing a rubber mallet ,when it comes off they tend to twist but dont panic just store as it comes off ,to replace i cover the outside with masking tape and with a small artists brush i put some clear waxoyl just incase a bit of paint may chip then starting at the rear with the top on i gently tap with my dead blow mallet and i mean gentle you can also use the bit of hard wood on it flat but still gentle taps the slower the better

col
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am

^^ Excellent advice, Colin. Thank you! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
dinglem
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1970 Sunbeam Stiletto, 1969 Hillman Imp Van

Post by dinglem » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:56 am

Great tip regarding the waxoyl Colin! :)
68 Stiletto WAS 998
69 ImpWerks Van RVP 530G Carter 1304cc
70 Stiletto FDH 44H
83 UltraBurner
83 Skyway
84 SuperTUFF
00 Lotus Elise Sport160
super66

Post by super66 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

Cheers Drew and Colin. I now have the confidence to take the trim off so shall let you know how it goes. Like Martin says, great tip about the waxoyl, i didn't know they did a clear version if i'm honest!
The resto continues...
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 pm

well they call it clear is more a honey colour
super66

Post by super66 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Cheers for all the advice. I managed to get the front section of the trim off, as had the door open so could hit the piece of wood from the inside of teh car, now i've got to the back i'm stuck as the glass is still in. use a smaller piece of wood now and hit vertially?

Got the car off it's wheel snow and on axle stands, much easier to work on now.

Just serviced the welder so new swan neck, liner, tip and shroud so that should be working nicely now. pulled top few coils of wire off roller too as was slightly rusty.

Got Monday off work so that should be 3 days at the unit so hoping to have some real progress by that point! shall keep you updated.

forum won't seem to let me put photo's up at the moment but hopefully next pictures you see will be some nice fresh metal!
The resto continues...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Sounds good, Noel. :D I shall find out about your photos and get back to you as soon as I hear.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Just take the window out, Noel - its dead easy, get a mate to stand in front of the window ready to catch it and you climb inside and push the glass out with your feet (wear trainers and apply pressure, do not kick). Refitting is acheived by inserting a string into the slot in the rubber and with the aid of a mate to hold the glass into position, you pull the seal back into the body with the string. It honestly takes minutes and is dead easy... If you were more local I'd pop over and give a hand...
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
super66

Post by super66 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Cheers Tim, wonder when Chris D is going to lend a hand then, because we all know windows and seals are his favourite! :lol: (sure he will be hear to say otherwise soon!)
They need to come out anyway for the paint so not a problem. I'm half tempted to ask a pro to take the front and back glass out as have heard so many stories, a worthwhile investment?
The resto continues...
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Nah, not to take it out... five minute job. Honestly... 8) Sit in the seat, put your feet up on the screen and push...

If you have difficulties its because you are making it difficult, tbh. Fitting the chrome trim to a coupe front or rear screen is a PITA, but once that's done fitting it is a doddle... Saloons are even easier.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
super66

Post by super66 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 pm

So, as I said in previous post, I have spent the last three days at the unit. Some good some bad!
Interior is now stripped out, seats, carpet, dash. No real suprises, but floor seems solid so that’s good.
As for fitting the sill, I need to actually weld it too something. Some needed to inspect the front and rear inner arch’s. this is where it all got a bit interesting.
The back I knew would need a new inner arch, I already have it. The front though, well that’s not so much good news. Cosmetically from the outside the front N/S arch seemed good and I had no plans to start messing with it, until…the I found that the back of the wing wasn’t actually attached to the car!!! This was then pulled slightly to get this.
At this point I realised that the inner arch that I thought was ok was actually made up of filler, I mean about 95% of it! There was no lip return, just filled with filler. I was shocked with the amount of filler in that corner so did more research.
The front panel is not as it should, N/S isn’t square to the O/S, but then built up with filler to make look correct. Stripping the filler back you see how the front panel is in a sad state too.
This is the other side, showing a more distinct angle below the lights.
This can be fixed with either a front panel (if I’m lucky) or more than likely me fabricating something to replace it with, don’t think it will be too bad.

It was at this point I thought there is no other option. The wing is good, the inner wing is shot, what do I do? THIS!!!
This is the inside of the removed wing, showing signs of some rust but not showing on the outside so hopefully i have caught it!

The inner arch showing it's age!

This confirmed how bad the arch was. See how much filler I got out of this corner!

The next problem is the valance panel has some rust, but nothing cutting and a patch can't solve

Another problem is the roof gutter line, it has had some bad work done in the past, filler is used a lot, thing is now that i have taken some of the filler out, i have been left with a hole, going straight through.

Lenghty update i know, but wanted to get this down while still fresh in my mind.

Please, if you have any idea's or hints please tell me as this is the first time doing this.
Hope your still with me, you deserve a cuppa now ;)

So there we have it, my car looking a bit sorry for itself but I do feel I’m progressing and I am enjoying it, I’ll keep plucking away!
The resto continues...
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Good work , stuff always gets worst before it gets better , at least you know that this time it will be done properly and not filled to the brim and beyond with wob :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am

As Noddy says, great work, Noel. :) :) When Vickie's done, she'll be done right and should last a while. Plus you'll be a dab hand a repairing her anyway!

Those A-pillar sections look gnarly. :? They seem fiddly to repair to me but are very important for obvious reasons. They need doing, though, so wait for someone with experience to advise and get cracking. :wink: If you search around the Readers' Cars forum, you should find some A-post repair posts, I think. Does the Rootes parts manual show the construction in that area?

Keep us posted! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:35 am

ImpManiac wrote: Those A-pillar sections look gnarly. :? They seem fiddly to repair to me but are very important for obvious reasons. They need doing, though, so wait for someone with experience to advise and get cracking. :wink: If you search around the Readers' Cars forum, you should find some A-post repair posts, I think. Does the Rootes parts manual show the construction in that area?

Yea i am hoping that i can get some advice on the pillar, as it does like it's going to be an a*se of a job. put it this way, i think that bit of work is above me, and may end up having that section completed by someone in the trade.
The resto continues...
super66

Post by super66 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:26 pm

So with some more tinkering and playing around with the panels, we have progress!

The first bit of welding has commenced! This is the first bit of welding I have done on a car, so I am happy but do see where I need to improve on, at least you won't see that when the wing is back on, but it is solid!
Need to go all the way round, but ran out of gas so that is fridays job.

Also got a front N/S corner which will get rid of the nasty warped front that is currently there.
Got an inner sill also, for one side, meaning that I can make the panel for the other side from it. looking forward to doing that actually! Thanks to Darren for those!

shall keep you updated!
The resto continues...
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 pm

nice work noel
welding will improve with practice.just go nice and steady a couple of inches at a time(oh misses)
if you need a hand with the windscreen removal just ask,but you know my work timetable.
be ready for national.
chris d
Imp025
Imp007
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:19 pm

noel dont be affraid to turn the amps up a bit you will know when your to high with them when you pop a hole ,your best bet is to get a few bits of new flat metal same as what your useing on the car and do a run of weld then turn the power up a bit and go again until you have a nice flat weld ,sometimes you will find you may have to adjust the amps as you get power surges as in tea time the power coming into your garage wont be as good as say 10pm at night ,and when your happy with you weld then start on the panel your fitting do say half an inch and stop move a few inchs from that weld and do another half inch and so on until you get around the arch ,then leave it until it has cooled down ,i find its always best to have other work to be doing when doing say a wheel arch other wise you tend to want to get the weld on and dont realy let it cool enough

col
super66

Post by super66 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Cheers for your commenst guys.
Chris i'll give you a shout when it comes to the point of screen out.
Colin. Cheers for the advice, i do practice on small pieces of sheet metal, seeing what penetration i'm getting etc. As for the AMPS, due to not having the best welder, i can't fine tune the power, it's either 1,2 or 3. i currently leave it on 1 as it just burns through on butt welds otherwise. When i come to plug welds i shall be turning it right up!
I have done a college course on how to weld so i understand it, but doing it in practise is something else.

I shall get some more pictures of the car up after this weekend, the inner arch is now fitting correctly so that means i can start on the sills (again)
The resto continues...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Great work, Noel. :D I've got all this to look forward to on mine! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Made some real progress on the car today.

The inner arch is now fully welded into the car, ok it's not perfect and flat like it should be but it's v strong and my welding has been improving today, so i'm happy

Also welded in a new section at the top of the inner wing as this wasn't there when i took the wing off

At the bottom of the front corner i found a fair bit of rust on the vertical so decided to fabricate a piece.
Very much like this, but me being me, i was that focused on making it strong i welded it on the at the bottom rather than at the top where in needed to be.

So i made another

ran out of time so didn't manage to get it fitted but it's ready to go in.
I feel like i've made some real progress today! :)
The resto continues...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Neat work, Noel. :mrgreen: That fabricated section looks really good.

As Colin said earlier, don't be afraid to turn up the current on your welder. If it won't turn up just a little bit, try moving the weld pool more slowly to ensure that you are getting optimal fusion between the old and new metal. You should get flatter welds and better penetration.

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am

Yes i shall keep on playing around with it to see what i can do. But to be honest, the set up of the machine is working and well, i think it's more the user needs more practice!
The resto continues...
chris d

Post by chris d » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

nice work noel
the welding will get better with practice,
strong is better than pretty.
will have a chat on wednesday night.
keep it up young un
chris d
Imp025
Imp007
soon to start the sport :?: :?:
super66

Post by super66 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:19 pm

I am wondering what type of paint i should be using on the inside of my panels, say over the inner wing and on the inside of the outer wing.
I've seen people discussing the difference between products such as zinc 182 and etch primer, some saying that zinc 182 can be welded through and that etch primer cant handle the heat and will bubble and then not act as a rust stopper.
what have you guys used in the past?
The resto continues...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Bilt Hamber Etchweld is, believe it or not, a weld-through etch primer! :P :wink: I have used it and it does what it says on the tin. However, where you weld, you will inevitably remove some of the corrosion protection. Your best hope is to protect as much as possible before welding and then get something like some Waxoyl or some Dinitrol cavity wax in all the internal nooks and crannies afterwards, preferably on a hot day (or in a warm garage) so that it flows right inside the panel joins.

That's what I'll be doing with mine when life gets a little bit less "interesting." :?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Firstly a thanks to Paul aka sammy the sturgeon for lending me the roller he made for Gladdis, Vickie feels honoured to be on a roller linked to Gladdis lol.

spent some time with the car this weekend, needed a mojo boost so i lined up the panels i have that need to be attached to the car, was an interesting exercise!

I need to make the inner sill for the passenger side and need the sill extension but you can see most of them are there and generally fit in place

find all the pictures here, i'm fed up of not being able to upload pics!
http://s416.beta.photobucket.com/user/s ... 7/profile/

I also messed with the fiesta arch that i will be using as the inner arch's, a good and fairly easy job

That's all for now but i'll keep you all posted!
The resto continues...
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Good work mate. :wink:
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 pm

It's coming along nicely, Noel. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 am

super66 wrote:Firstly a thanks to Paul aka sammy the sturgeon for lending me the roller he made for Gladdis, Vickie feels honoured to be on a roller linked to Gladdis lol.

spent some time with the car this weekend, needed a mojo boost so i lined up the panels i have that need to be attached to the car, was an interesting exercise!
Your welcome mate, if it helps you, like it has me, it makes it all a little easier.

Just a little note on the twirler, wouldn't want any mishaps....
the 'T' piece handle that you use for turning - make sure you have both rubber handles on it as if you don't when you turn it, it could drop out and then the mount is free to part from the pivot (front left as you look at the front of the car in the picture).

And --- it may just be the angle of the picture, or that you haven't fully raised it up on the extensions yet, but in one picture it looks like the back is higher than the front, if you rotate it and its not level you might stress the front panel, and as there is no wing there yet for strength it might buckle it. wouldn't want any problems with it.

Good to see your mojo is back and there's progress, and trial fitting the panels is a good way forward don't be scared to use self tappers to hold everything in place, it helps you get it in the same place each time you fit, take off, refit, take off, trim,refit, take off, weld a joining panel, refit, etc, etc, etc, and you can always plug weld any holes from them, after you have welded the panel.

Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
kilty

Post by kilty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Noel I just had a look at your other foties and was wondering, do you have a heating source in there? It might not get to Baltic temperatures where you live, but you`ll not want to spend long days or evenings in there with a drip hanging from your nose mate! Nothing worse than not being able to enjoy your work because your lugs fell off! :)
super66

Post by super66 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Cheers for the concern Drew!
I've got a little heater in there to take the edge off it, and by the time i've got a few layers on and my overalls i'm toasty warm. got my kettle and little camping cooker there so can do hot drinks and food too. Like a home from home :D
The resto continues...
super66

Post by super66 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 am

Well for the first time in a while, i have some actual progress to report on the car.
First thing though, i want to thank Chris for giving me a hand and his welding skill, i've got much to learn!
We ripped out the old inner sill and by the end of it had the inner sill and outer sill fitted to the car.

At all stages the welds were zinc primered and treated, The outer sill is welded in place, but not fully, i will be seam welding it all in.

Have a look through my pics on photobucket, sod changing all the aspect ratios!
(Mods, can you not sort out the picture size limit?)
The resto continues...
chris d

Post by chris d » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm

glad your making progress noel
so there are 2 chris's :lol:
will have to call in and have a look
you got my number
chris d
Imp025
Imp007
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Pictures needed, Noel. :wink: Sounds like a productive day.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 am

super66 wrote: Have a look through my pics on photobucket, sod changing all the aspect ratios!
(Mods, can you not sort out the picture size limit?)
Try that Paul, Have a direct link
http://s416.beta.photobucket.com/user/s ... 7831403477
The imp club is the only site that wont accept my photo's and it takes ages to convert each and every one!
The resto continues...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 pm

The mods cannot alter the picture size limit, as far as I know, Noel. :!: That would need to be the administrator - Chris Benoy.

The photos as per your link look good, though. The work looks to have been done to aa high standard. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
chris
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm

I would say so :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ginetta002
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

super66 wrote:The imp club is the only site that wont accept my photo's and it takes ages to convert each and every one!
You can do it in batches on your computer before uploading them:

Windows XP:
http://download.cnet.com/Image-Resizer- ... 05400.html

Windows 7:
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Go into the folder with the photos, select them all, right click on one, select the options that you want, and click resize. Don't replace the originals as there's no way of going from a small image to a bit one. I have to say that I find the 800 pixel restriction limiting - though I do understand that there are still people on slow connections and with small screens.