Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Pimp2 - the rebuild starts

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Well done :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Amazing stuff.

Getting nearly 200bhp out of a little ol' DIY Imp engine is much more than worthy ..keeping it on the road and beating the big boys who can't even 'spend' their way to the top (read Ferraris) is on another planet with regards to Imp competition history.

Eric is Legend! 8)

Just wish you could use the Clan competitively too ... pesky stupid rules. Clan004

FAB picture too. Nearly on two wheels! Looks brilliant! 8)
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm

New Season - New problem

I'm doing the same championship again this year - The British Hillclimb Leaders and in the same class. I haven't really done much to the car over the winter, A bit of fiberglass repair to the rear quarter, a legacy from Barbon last year, and a lot of filler in the lip of the spoiler after a few paddock incidents.

Loton Park 20/21st April 2019

A great weather forecast and a great hill to drive means I was really looking forward to the first event of the year. Practice day was the Saturday with timed runs on the Sunday. I lined up for my first practice with the car working perfectly. I had a great start (the launch control is working brilliantly) and was all going well until I changed down for Triangle Corner where the gear lever went to the correct place but I had no drive out of the corner. I rolled to a stop with the engine ticking over but no drive at all. I could go between first and second but could not go across the gate to third and fourth. Strange but no horrible noises or escaping oil. I got pushed back to the paddock by the marshals where the car was jacked up to investigate. Everything was in its correct place and the gear-linkage was intact and working properly - there must be something wrong in the gearbox, probably the change mechanism. Well I can't fix that here, so after a quick chat with the Clerk or the Course, I was told that if I could get it fixed for tomorrow I can run. It was loaded onto the trailer whilst the others in my class were having their second practice and I was on the road at about midday.
I arrived home about 2 hours later, had a bite to eat, and got the car off the trailer and into the garage and up onto its stands. I had the engine out by about 4:30, the gearbox out by 5:00 and the gearbox on my workmate soon after. I took off the rear cover to find nothing untoward except the main input selector shaft seemed loose and was not doing anything. So main nuts removed and the next section of gearbox casing removed to then discover the end of the 'hockey stick' input selector shaft missing. This is the bit that moves either the shaft for 1st & 2nd or the one for 3rd & 4th or the reverse one. The broken off end was pretty easy to find and it was a clean break with evidence of a fatigue crack about a third of the cross section. On the Jack Knight dog box, the engaging dog teeth are on the face of the gears and you have to be quit quick and positive with your gear changes for it to work well. The dogs are forced to mesh and the movement stops when the teeth are fully engaged by the teeth hitting the gear, so quite a sudden stop. It looks like the repeated abuse over the last 15 or so years I have had this box has caused this to fail. Not too bad. I have plenty of spare ones from old boxes so one was fitted, the box rebuilt and fitted along with the engine by 9:15.
Engine started 1st time and I could select all gears sitting on the stands, so stop the engine(after it had fully warmed up), top up fluids and stick it back on the trailer and hook it up to the tow car. I was all finished and packed up and in the shower by 10:00. A quick beer and away to bed for an early start.
Up at 5:00 in the morning and on the road by 5:30 and arrived at a sleepy Loton at 7:30. Car unloaded and re-scrutineerd because the car left the venue, and I was ready for my first run. I had a quick run through the gears down to the paddock from where the trailer was parked and I even managed to reverse into my spot - good news. The rest of the day was great with the car behaving perfectly, no missed gears and reasonable times. I didn't push too hard as I haven't really driven the car for 6 months and missed most of practice so I treated it more as a test season. The class on the day was a merged one with Me, Andrew Russell in his G15 and Sarah Bosworth in her Lotus Elise. There was no way I should be able to beat Sarah, she is a good 2 seconds faster than my personal best, but I managed to beat Andrew on both timed runs to get the most points available for my championship.
Just when you think things are going your way, they don't. Before my last run I attempted to put my race suit on without fully unzipping it and managed to wreck the zip, and in putting the car back on the trailer I managed to get one of the ramps jammed between the wheel and arch and let out some fiberglass dust. - bother :oops:

Nothing to do to the car (apart from a bit of tape on the arch) but a new race suit to source by this coming weekend for the next round at Prescott.

Cheers

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Brilliant ! It reminds me of when i was a teenager , the second year of Owning My Imp sport , i was in town one Sunday morning about 11 am and the sun gear assembly broke up I had no drive , I found a phone box and called dad he came and towed me home , I skipped sunday lunch and got the engine and Transaxle out by 1 pm , and stripped the Crown wheel assembly out .. I dismantled a spare unknown Transaxle and swapped my crown wheel onto this spare carrier and re assembled and re fitted , all back on the road by 5 pm , It had to be for my 15 mile journey to work the next day! I Pre-loaded the main bearings by feel and got the backlash right and all was well for a long time after ... ...
When is the next Prescott? Imp009
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 232000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm

I guess those boxes must be worth a fortune ..otherwise you'd have a spare ready and waiting to swap in.
Amazing commitment. Good luck for next round. :)
Clan004
Impecunious
Car Model: Clan Crusader Singer Chamois Sport Audi A4 Quattro

Post by Impecunious » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:18 pm

A great read Eric. In 42 years of playing with every Imp transaxle going, I have never found a main selector shaft with the end snapped off. Congrats on the effort.

Dave W.

PS. It's still your round next... 8)
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Not had the selector shaft problem but did do the zip on my race suits at the Top Gear Show at Silverstone many years ago. Luckily at that time I got my race suits from Jaybrand at Peterborough and it was just a trip on Monday to get a new one fitted. I don't expect any of the suppliers provide that level of service these days.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 am

Great to read an amazing update, thanks for taking the effort to post it Eric. Inspiration to get my 'race' car ready for the track, although having not followed the story from the start I am sure I will get sidetracked with some reading.

Also it is interesting to see the 64 foot times, it shows what difference track preparation plays in drag racing I suppose.
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 am

inspirational read :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Turboimp wrote: When is the next Prescott? Imp009
This weekend 27/28th April.
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Impecunious wrote:A great read Eric. In 42 years of playing with every Imp transaxle going, I have never found a main selector shaft with the end snapped off. Congrats on the effort.

Dave W.

PS. It's still your round next... 8)
Dave, superb I've done something new :lol:
I guess you don't do an uprated one ???, I will just replace them when I have the box apart.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:57 pm

benwick3 wrote:Not had the selector shaft problem but did do the zip on my race suits at the Top Gear Show at Silverstone many years ago. Luckily at that time I got my race suits from Jaybrand at Peterborough and it was just a trip on Monday to get a new one fitted. I don't expect any of the suppliers provide that level of service these days.

Pete Richards
Pete, It is a AWS one, and they went out of business in February quoting Retirement as a reason.

I nipped down to GPR at Silverstone this afternoon and bought an OMP one, in fetching dark grey with bright yellow/green highlights :shock:

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

johnh875 wrote:
Also it is interesting to see the 64 foot times, it shows what difference track preparation plays in drag racing I suppose.
John, I am really pleased with the consistency i'm getting with the 0-64 foot times. Of the three runs I managed a 2.13, 2.10 and my best was 2.04 secs. A few meetings ago, at Loton, on the newly laid tarmac I managed 1.98 secs. It has taken some time and playing around to get them this consistent, but now with my own design driveshafts, a organic 7-1/4" clutch plate with a quartermaster clutch and launch control it has all come good. The launch control adds a rev limiter when the clutch is in, in my case its set to 7300 revs. When the green light comes on, all I have to do is hold about a third throttle, the revs rise until the limiter cuts in, the boost then rises to about 10 psi (my first gear limit), it pops and bangs as excess fuel is burnt. To start I basically slide my foot of the clutch and plant my right foot , wheels spin and clutch slips up to about 20mph and then and off we go.

Cheers

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:43 am

The best 60' I did with my Falcon ute is 2.25 from memory. That is with the stock 200hp six, 5sp, about 1600kg weight, the only change was 245 tyres on the rear and removing the ~5kg sump guard, slipping the clutch from 3,000 rpm (peak power 4,500) while building to near full throttle - as harsh as I was prepared to treat it, and probably too hard... I haven't done a 'proper' launch in an Imp yet due to not wanting to abuse Rotoflexes.
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Update time – new problems to contend with.

Prescott 27/28 April 2019

The weather was dry but cold at times and this was the first event at the track for the year, the tarmac didn’t seem too grippy. I had trouble in practice, getting my start times down to what I normally do, and not many records were broken. We had a good turnout in the class, 6 of us all in different cars. A Citroen AX, Opel Tigra, Ginetta G15, Alfa-Romeo Alfasud, a Mini and of course my Imp. All Modified under 1400cc. The Mini was driven by Tim Dennis who has held records at a few courses, so it was great to finally compete with him.
The car ran great with no problems all day, which was great. It was nice to have some really good competition, with Tim in the Mini and Brad in the AX. I managed to keep just a head of them all weekend and managed a 47.96 on the first timed run, 0.5 secs ahead of the other two. I needed to do a ‘burn out’ before the start to warm the tyres, I don’t like doing this but I thought it would help. It did help and I got a 2.18 sec start against 2.44 secs the previous run.
For the second runs, I managed to mess up under braking for the Ettories Hairpin where I nearly spun it, luckily Brad had a huge wobble in the Esses and Tim put it in the gravel. A class win for the Imp then and we were all trying hard. (too hard at the end).

Harewood 11/12 May 2019.

One of my favourite hills, long and difficult, but with ample run-off in most areas. It is unusual in that the paddock is at the top of the hill, the start line half way down and you finish back at the top.
We had 3 practice runs on Saturday with the car performing well, only problem was that there were only two of us in the class so maximum points for the championship were unavailable. On the Sunday they managed to squeeze in another three practice runs before lunch, where I got down to a personal best of just under 64 secs.
First timed run, and it all went wrong off the start. It felt like a normal start but just afterwards a sudden bang from the rear and then a very violent continuous banging. It sounded like a driveshaft had broken so I slowed down to a halt, with the noises continuing. I got out the car (once the marshals had arrived) and found the driveshafts, donuts etc all fine, so the only real culprit left was the transmission. The car would roll, but then would jam up, then release after rocking it. This couldn’t be towed back or rolled out of the way so the flatbed truck was summoned. It took 10 minutes to load it up with this locking up, and even longer to get it off once back in the paddock.

Game over for the day.

Once home the engine was whipped out and the transaxle removed during the week and stripped down. It was quickly discovered that the crown wheel and pinion had shed most of their teeth. There were enough teeth left though for them to try and re-mesh as they were rotated, which explains the jamming and locking up. After further examination it was also discovered that the casing was broken, not in the usual places (it has strengthening plates welded on) but where I had modified it to strengthen the pinion bearing seat. I had fitted a strengthening plate behind the pinion bearing, and attached it to another plate on the other side of the bearing area with countersunk screws going the holes drilled through the bearing mounting. Unfortunately the bearing mounting area cracked through one of these holes I had drilled.
A quick phone call to Dennis Alt at Transimp saw me heading down there on the Friday to pick up a new Jack Knight Imp crownwheel and pinion, along with a steel strengthening girdle to fit to another casing I had. I haven’t got access to the Transaxle tools anymore, so Dennis fitted and correctly shimmed the new CWP into the new casing for me (plus supplied a new set of bearings).
The transaxle was rebuilt over the following week, with it fighting me all the way. I made new pinion bearing seat plates, this time a bit bigger in diameter, with the bolts going outside the bearing mounting, in fact only three holes needing drilling through the bulkhead area, the rest of the screw going through oil cutouts.
The steel girdle fitted okay, with a bit of fettling to clear the extra webs on the late casing (I guess this was designed to fit earlier casings). I then tried fitting the output spiders and donuts. The nuts and bolts all clashed with the strengthening plate (mine are all non-standard), so a bit of grinding, a bit of machining and a spacer and they all fitted – just.
The transaxle was fully built up and refitted, engine refitted and started up around 6:00 pm on the Friday night. It was checked I could get all gears, which I could, but it seemed like the clutch was dragging a bit and the change across the gate could be better. Too late to take it all out again so I would have to live with it. Car taken down from the stands, put on the trailer and the tow car packed for a weekend away and I was in the shower for 8:30 pm.

Gurston Down 25/26 May 2019

I set off at 5:00 the next morning for Gurston Down near Salisbury for another round of the Leaders Championship. A reasonable class this time with 2 Mini’s, Jim White in his very rapid Twin Cam 1380cc Mini (BMW k head on an ‘A’-series with Jenvey TB’s) and David Bean with his more standard 1310cc Mini, also with us was Andrew Russell with his well campaigned 1120cc Imp powered Ginetta G15.
I did a very careful start for my first practice run and basically used it as a gentle test for the car and let the transaxle bed in. No nasty noises and all fine except the dragging clutch which made queuing up and the start annoying, and the notchy 2nd to 3rd change making life awkward. Well I’m stuck with it now so I better get used to it. For the next time practice run I talked to the paddock marshals in the waiting area who were great ( as usual ) in allowing me to wait until the area was clear and drive up to the line without queuing. The start was fun, with me being set up in neutral, then hydraulic handbrake on and when the green light came on to go, I would bang it in to first. I could feel the car straining to go as I press half throttle, wait for the machine gun pop and bangs, slide my foot off the clutch and plant my right foot. Second run felt fine and the time was much more like it.
On my timed runs it all went smoothly apart from messing up a gear change on my last run to end up with a best of 36.48 (even though I did a 36.13 in practice) and won the class with Jim in the Mini on 36.85. This is probably the first time an Imp has beaten a Mini at Gurston for 10 years as it really is a place the Minis seem to like.

Crystal Palace 27 May 2019 (Bank Holiday Monday)

On the way back from Gurston I nipped in to London to take part in the Crystal Palace Sprint (Motorsport at the Palace). I have done this event a few times in the Clan and I took the Imp there 3 years ago for its second event. It is a great event with a fun atmosphere, in the Paddock Field you forget you are in the Middle(ish) of London. The classes are a bit different hear as it more of a Historic festival, the cars are arranged more in Category and age than capacity. I was in Class 15 (Modified Cars before 1970), alongside an original 1964 AC Cobra (5 litre ish), Elva Courier, Volvo Amazon and a Alfa 1750 GTV. The Imp maybe the smallest car in the class, but being small helps here with it being pretty tight and mine was the most modified car.
The car ran perfectly (apart from the known clutch and gearchange problems) and I soon remembered the track layout. I really enjoyed throwing the car around here, the last corner is pretty scary with no real runoff to the Armco. I ended up first in class with a new record time of 37.14, over a second inside the previous one of 38.21 held by an Austin Healy Sprite. The Cobra pushed me with a best of 37.96 but the course is a bit small for it to stretch its legs.
As happened last time, so many spectators came up to me and asked what bike engine is in the back, only for them to be surprised when I showed them the little old Imp engine.
After the event I looked at the final results and was surprised to find was 9th overall, especially when you consider the top 4 are all proper racing cars.
Andy Greenen 2017 Empire Evo 2 Class 23 30.57
Peter Goulding 2012 Mygale FF200 Category H 32.94
David Seaton 1980 Pilbeam MP43 / BMW Class 20 34.02
Jeff Wiltshire 2003 Zeus Challenger Evo II Class 20 35.1
Stephen Moore Mitsubishi Evolution 6 Class 17 35.12
Stephen Moore 1999 Mitsubishi Evolution 6 Class 6 35.7
Clive Stangle 1998 Mitsubishi Evo 5 Class 6 35.87
Peter Ratcliff 2008 Caterham Class 14 36.92
Eric Morrey 1968 Hillman Imp Class 15 37.14
Fyrth Crosse 1972 Ensign LNF3 Class 22 37.2
Laurie Hatchard 1997 Dax Rush Quadra 5 Litre Class 17 37.21
Philip West 1989 Sierra XR4x4 Class 16 37.46

A great long weekend and I got back from London at about 9:30 pm and back to work for a rest the next day. I didn’t take any photos at Crystal Palace but there are a great selection to view at https://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk and look in the gallery at the 2019 photographs.
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Eric

Good write up, seems your finding the limits of the transaxle unfortunately :( but still managing excellent results around them :D
Well done.

Any idea which went first the pinion support or the CWP, unfortunately both not unknown to me either :roll:

Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Great write up Eric as usual and always good to hear of your experience with your Imp.
Must be exhilerating racing more expensive and modern more popular cars and being quicker than them.
Well done and please keep us updates as its a great read.

Cheers
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Great write up Eric as usual and always good to hear of your experience with your Imp.
Must be exhilerating racing more expensive and modern more popular cars and being quicker than them.
Well done and please keep us updates as its a great read.

Cheers
Col
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri May 31, 2019 5:26 am

And who needs for a BMW K! :D
johnh875

Post by johnh875 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:51 am

Fantastic stuff, including the quick turnaround on the diff issue! Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Turboimp

Post by Turboimp » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 am

[quote="Lotus-e-Clan"]And who needs for a BMW K! :D[/q0nij`jjj`uote]
Well a turbo version has the potential for 300 bhp :-) Imp009 Clan005
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:39 am

Turboimp wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:And who needs for a BMW K! :D[/q0nij`jjj`uote]
Yes, but you don't need that much grunt to get where to where Eric has got to ...which is my main point. :wink:

And my secondary point is:
If he had achieved all of his success with a BMW K it would have:
  • a) done very little for the morale of the majority of IMP/derivative owners.
    b) seemed too easy, or seemed like cheating in the minds of the faithful.
:)

Clan004
Turboimp

Post by Turboimp » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 am

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Turboimp wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:And who needs for a BMW K! :D[/q0nij`jjj`uote]
Yes, but you don't need that much grunt to get where to where Eric has got to ...which is my main point. :wink:

And my secondary point is:
If he had achieved all of his success with a BMW K it would have:
  • a) done very little for the morale of the majority of IMP/derivative owners.
    b) seemed too easy, or seemed like cheating in the minds of the faithful.
:)

Clan004
I agree there , that's why i still have my Imp turbo with more power than the BMW engines and still reliable ... You would need that much power if you wanted to race it in a series which allowed alternative engines of course . 300bhp seems the minimum in old saloon car racing these days ( Peugeot 205 , Citroen 106 , Astra etc )
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 pm

The big thing with engine swaps in Hillclimbing and sprinting is it automatically moves you into Sports Libre class, and you won't win without huge power & huge downforce. I don't like engine swaps, an Imp should have an Imp engine, I won't even use a 930 block in a competition car because its not an Imp engine. Everybody else can do what they like but I won't be changing the engine. The Imp engine is a superb engine why change it.
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Turboimp

Post by Turboimp » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 am

pimpdriver wrote:The big thing with engine swaps in Hillclimbing and sprinting is it automatically moves you into Sports Libre class, and you won't win without huge power & huge downforce. I don't like engine swaps, an Imp should have an Imp engine, I won't even use a 930 block in a competition car because its not an Imp engine. Everybody else can do what they like but I won't be changing the engine. The Imp engine is a superb engine why change it.
The Imp engine is indeed a superb engine , i have used it all my life since 1971 getting on for 600,000 miles , i did the BMW conversion as an engineering exercise , and it is a superb device to fill the hole :-) when you are driving it I defy anyone to tell that it is not an Imp engine in there ...My Imp turbo will always be my favourite .
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:09 pm

pimpdriver wrote:The big thing with engine swaps in Hillclimbing and sprinting is it automatically moves you into Sports Libre class, and you won't win without huge power & huge downforce. I don't like engine swaps, an Imp should have an Imp engine, I won't even use a 930 block in a competition car because its not an Imp engine. Everybody else can do what they like but I won't be changing the engine. The Imp engine is a superb engine why change it.
Fully agree with the sentiments about the Imp engine, but the 930 block has been a RAC/MSA approved swap since the days of the modsports and was an allowed swap in the mid-80’s. Even though as you say, technically it's a Talbot Sunbeam rather than Imp based engine.

The big question for owners of a Clan, Ginetta G15 or Davrian that's Imp based is do you go down the BMW route for the hills/sprints?

From what I can see although the BMW can be used in line with 12.6.2 in the hillclimb/sprint regs, most of the championship regs that I've seen put a BMW bike engined car into a different class/cc group.

In the ASWMC events, with the Imp engine in Roadgoing Specialist production class you would be in B1 up to 1400cc but with the BMW it would put you in B3 for over 1800cc and in with the big engine/bike engine Caterfields, so then you'd be up against 250 ish bhp cars. If you run as a non-road going modsport type spec there is only one class with no cc limits.

For the ACSMC roadgoing specialist production with an Imp engine is either A3 up to 1600cc or A7 up to 1800cc, but the BMW would be A8 over 1800c. While Modified is B9 up to 1400cc for an Imp engine, while the BMW would be B13 over 2000cc.

Not sure what cars are out in the ASWMC events, but in the ACSMC, John Rawlins and Ken Banks use Davrian's and Gordon Stuart uses a Clan in B9 class.
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Well I tried to provide updates more regularly, and failed completely.
Must try harder, anyway this is what I was up to in the summer.

Doune - June
Another long trip up north to Doune which is near Stirling in Scotland. One of my favourite hills. Car ran perfectly all weekend, but unfortunately I was in a class on my own. The weather was changeable with showers at various times during the day on the Sunday (timed runs day). Doune is very fast and narrow and is Armco lined on both sides for the first half. This is also under trees, which means you are never sure how dry it is on a day like this. I ended up really enjoying it, without trying 100%. There was no point in a class on your own to risk it all. Fast enough for fun. I got within a couple of seconds of my record there, so I was happy and the car went back on the trailer without any work to do.

Barbon Manor - July

As in previous years, it was time for the Barbon Manor / Harewood weekend. Barbon is a great little course, the driveway up to the manor being used twice a year. Having travelled up on the Friday and camped in the paddock overnight ( only person in a tent, everybody else in motorhomes) I woke up to a nice sunny day with lovely views over Cumbria.
The paddock is a bit of a free for all and basically it’s a sloping rough grass hillside. Being up early I managed to pack my car in the wrong place, but after a bit of moving around we all got ourselves sorted. I left off the front spoiler of the car as whilst it would be okay on the course, it would be very easy to catch it and remove it in the paddock. Unfortunately again I was on my own in the class, the other entrant being moved into another class.
1st Practice went fine with me remembering the course quite quickly, well it is only 3 corners, Left, Left and then Right. 2nd Practice didn’t go so well, the engine felt a bit flat after the first corner and didn’t accelerate like normal. This meant my time was slower and I was a little confused. Once back in the paddock, I checked out the car. It felt ignition based, the lack of power, so all the plugs were removed and they all looked okay. All ignition leads were unplugged and re-plugged, and lots of wires wobbled and stared at.
1st timed run was not a lot better, although this time the engine started flat, but came back on song after the second corner. Even more confusion. Again things were played with, I checked the ignition timing, which was fine and then remembered I had a spare coil pack in my box of spares I drag around. I couldn’t manage to remove two of the screws for the coil pack (don’t use M5 button heads – the hex is too small), but I managed to tye wrap the new one on top of the old one.
2nd timed run arrived and this time the car behaved itself and I fair shot up the hill recording a new personal best and knocking nearly a second off my own class record. This came as a surprise to me and everyone else, as my previous time had been well off with the problems, so it seemed to come out of nowhere.
Good end to the day, and it also meant the car should be fine for the event at Harwood the next day.

Harewood - July

I had a glorious evening drive over the hills from Barbon to Harewood, even towing a car on a trailer. The morning started out just as nice and the good weather continued throughout the day. I love driving Harewood, a long hill where you can really attack the corners and hopefully I had cured the electrical problems I had the previous day. Both practice runs went fine, with me being comfortably ahead of Andrew Russell in his well campaigned orange Ginetta G15.
Timed runs went a bit differently. 1st timed run started off great, car performing well, and I was improving nicely on my practice runs. Unfortunately, about halfway through the run the engine went off song again and it really didn’t want to accelerate. I made it to the top and recorded at time but it was slower than practice and allowed Andrew to just beat me. Back in the paddock, I wobbled all the leads again but I had run out of ideas on how to fix it.
Second timed run started okay as before, the engine running fine again. I didn’t get to experience the rest of the hill as I spun the car under braking for the second corner. Can’t blame the engine for that, 100% drivers fault. Anyway, I didn’t hit anything and managed to drive back to the top. I even gave it the beans out of the corners, and it ran fine.
One of my favourite hills, Harewood, hasn’t been too kind to me this year. 2 events, 4 timed runs, and not a representative time in any of them. Must do better next year.
Once I got back from the weekend, I decide to replace the whole ignition system on the car. It is distributer-less running wasted spark via the megasquirt3 ECU. I have used second hand Ford coil packs and pick-ups I got off scrap cars 20 years ago. I decided to splash out and buy a brand new MSD high power coil pack (they do a Ford copy), new plugs, new leads and a new pick up. The new leads were from Mr RetroLeads, who made a set to my dimensions, with ford connectors on one end, right angle spark plug connectors on the other with 8mm Lime Green leads for £35. Hopefully this will sort out the problems. I could mess about and replace an item at a time to determine exactly what the problem was, but to save wasted events, I did the lot in one go. I’ll find out if it has worked at the next event, which is in six weeks time.

Curborough Fig 8 - August

This is, like last year, not a championship event, just a fun event I do to support the RSSOC (Reliant Scimitar and Sabre Owners Club). I’ve had a Scimitar GTE (SE5a) since I was 19, started hillclimbing in it, and still have it (on sorn at the moment). I was Secretary of the Meeting for 10 years and managed to pass on the running 4 years ago, and it is now organised by the Hagley & District Light Car Club, who run all Loton Park events.
I ended up in a class on my own again, this time for modified cars under 2 litre. The class structure mainly had special classes for invited championships, so I was basically one of the others. I like Curborough, as it is a sprint rather than a hillclimb that I can compete on as it is not too fast. Most sprints are on large circuits like Castle Coombe, Goodwood etc. My car is only geared to 98 mph at 9000 rpm in fourth, so I would be on the rev limiter for most of the lap an anything with bigger straights than Curbs. As it is I hit 92+ over the line at Curborough. I also know the place very well so I can attack it and it shows up any handling problems.
First practice and great news, the engine worked absolutely fine. Bad news the gear linkage fell apart once I changed in to third. I carried on in third and was very impressed how the car went whilst stuck in one gear. Not the fastest way, but not too bad. Back in the paddock, I found that the lower spherical ball I used, the one that the main carbon gear-linkage shaft slides in, had popped out of its housing. This was because a build-up of dirt had stopped it sliding, so eventually it had come out of its seating. A quick strip down and some borrowed Wd40 later it was all back together and working again.
The rest of my runs went very well, the engine performing consistently and well all day, and the gear linkage back to its usual great action. I managed a personal best, a 63.65, so things are going well again.

More updates to follow, to finish off the season, shouldn't be too long.
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Great to hear once more about your adventures ... and misadventures. :)

I must make myself get out more and support you at the likes of Harewood and Barbon - both close enough for a day trip from Richmond... just need a heads-up on the dates for my diary. Got no excuse for next year (family weddings and Christenings all done) except a trip to Ireland in the summer might clash if we go in August... :? Clan004
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Nice write up Eric. Did i send you the pictures of you at Barbon?

Barbon events are usually the first week end of June and first weekend of July.

THE Harewood 2020 HILLCLIMB DATES ARE:

22nd March (Practice Day)

12th April

9th May, 10th May

6th June, 7th June

4th July, 5th July

1st August, 2nd August, 30th August

19th September, 20th September
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm

moose wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Barbon events are usually the first week end of June and first weekend of July.

THE Harewood 2020 HILLCLIMB DATES ARE:

22nd March (Practice Day)

12th April

9th May, 10th May

6th June, 7th June

4th July, 5th July

1st August, 2nd August, 30th August

19th September, 20th September
Thanks Mike I've put those dates in my diary! :) Clan004
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 pm

moose wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 pm
Moose, I can't recall any, post them up here if you want.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
moose

Post by moose » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am

Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Post by moose » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:21 am

http://img.gg/t0ANnz3

2018 will look through some more albums and see what i have
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:47 pm

End of Season Update.

Gurston Down - August

The August Bank Holiday saw me heading down to Gurston Down, near Salisbury, early on the Saturday morning. I used to travel on the Friday afternoon, but have got fed up with the traffic, so now set off at 5:00 on Saturday and travel down in half the time, and a quarter of the hassle. Turned out to be a fine weekend with good weather on both days. My class had the usual suspects for this hill, 3 Minis, the G15 and the AX.
Car ran perfectly, I drove well, set PB on my last practice run on the Saturday and came away with second in class to Neil Turner in his 16v injected 1380 mini. I pushed Neil hard all weekend, and in the end I couldn’t get down to his times, and Neil ended up breaking his own class record with a 35.01, tantalisingly close to a 34 second run. Neil was slightly faster everywhere, It is his local hill and a very well developed car, running his own designed and manufactured ‘Polestar’ engine ECU. I’m happy to be reasonably close to him, but it will need more work and much better driving to beat him, but I’m always hopeful.

Prescott - September

Back to Prescott for the second time this year, and another fine weekend at one of my favourite venues. In my class this time was a slightly smaller entry than normal with 2 minis, the G15 and myself. Andy Jones had entered in his Imp but unfortunately had to pull out before driving down as his clutch refused to release. In other classes, the Imp engine was well represented. Alex & Jenny Howells in their 1020cc Hillman Super Imp, Nigel Moss in his 1200cc Imp and Christopher Jones in his Ginetta G15 were all competing in the Classic Car Classes and Jim Scott in his Vixen Vb1 formula 4 single seater was going well in the historic racing car class.
I started well, first practice going fine, until I returned to the paddock. We were using the top paddock and it is a bit bumpy and tight for space, so I drove past my spot and reversed back. As I did, I noticed a bit of smoke/steam pass my window, was that mine, After I parked people commented that it was smoking/steaming and a few said it smelt more of water than oil. A quick check in the header tank and I was met with water overflowing once I removed the rad cap – bother. I left it to settle for a bit and then restarted it. The water level quickly rose, and air could be seen bubbling out through the water, looks like head gasket (well wills rings). After toying with the idea of just bother off home, I decided to see if I could live with it. I drained the header tank to the lowest level and fitted a piece of plastic to stop the rad cap sealing. This should stop the system pressurising, but I needed somewhere to catch any water expelled. A fellow competitor (not actually competing today) kindly drank a litre of milkshake to donate the bottle to use as a catch tank (and felt ill for most of the day!!). This was tie wrapped to the inner wing and a hose fitted to the header tank and fed into it. For my second practice I ran the engine as little as possible and started the run at 65 degrees water temp instead of my usual 80 degrees. This seemed to work, the engine didn’t go above 80 degrees, no steam and it only expelled 100ml of water or so into my milkshake bottle. I didn’t set too good a time as I was busy looking at the temp gauge and the rear view mirror for steam, but not too bad.
For the Sunday, I decide to skip the morning practice run and just do the timed runs. It was actually very good to go and watch my class runs from a vantage point further up the hill and see where they are best and worst. You don’t get to see your own class compete normally so it was very informative.
For my first timed runs I couldn’t afford to hang around as the 1400 Mini of Tim Dennis was pushing me close and I needed good points for the championship. The run went fine with me setting the fastest time in the class with a 47.59 against Tim’s 48.18. Great stuff. As I started to roll down the return road, I turned the engine off to save it getting any hotter, and when I reached the paddock I dropped the clutch to restart it. The car just rolled to stop, bother, I had forgotten to switch the ignition back on. In most cars this wouldn’t matter, but on mine, it releases copious clouds of smoke that even the steam train in valley below would have been proud of. This is because the low mounted turbo doesn’t self-drain and has a scavenge pump to return the oil to the sump. This pump is only switched on when the ignition is on, and with the engine turning over as I released the clutch, oil is pumped into the turbo and with no scavenge pump it overflows and goes into the red hot exhaust = instant smoke. Of course I was now in a dip, so I flicked the ignition back on and started the engine. It started instantly and after checking the amount of smoke in the rear view mirror was surprised to see 2 foot flames coming up over the boot lid. That is not good, so I killed the engine and got out of the car. The flames were just the excess oil igniting in the exhaust so there wasn’t actually anything on fire and I turned it off and got out quick enough to stop any body wasting fire extinguishers on it. I pushed it back to my paddock space helped by a few fellow competitors, waited half an hour for everything to cool down, restarted it and smoked off the remaining oil.
So far I had l let steam, smoke and flames out of the exhaust, what next? Engine parts!!
My final run was quite boring, apart from I tried to keep as far right on the first long left hand bend, overcooked it, got a rear wheel on the grass, thought if I let off now I’ll spin, so kept my foot in and drifted back onto the track and set my quickest trap speed of the weekend, phew, that could have gone wrong. Kept it together for the rest of the run, and won the class with a 47.32 with Tim going slightly slower than his first run. I was very happy with that, being only 0.15 secs off my own class record with all the fun with the engine going on.
Once back from the weekend I took the head off, I couldn’t find anything obvious wrong, so I replaced the Will’s Rings and put it all back together again. We will see if that works.

Loton Park - September

A damp weekend at the Shrewsbury/Welsh Border venue. Whilst I had the engine out I had removed another shim from the clutch to allow for wear, but it seems I shouldn’t have as now the clutch was dragging. Luckily, our class managed organise ourselves in the paddock to drive in and park without needing reverse, which made life a bit easier.
Every run was different, soaking wet first practice, damp second practice and dry third practice on the Saturday. With the forecast for more wet stuff tomorrow I decided to ‘go for it’ on the third practice as I might be my only dry run of the weekend. I was very pleased to lead the class with a new personal best time of 58.59 secs. I had a very competitive class with Gavin in his Peugeot 106, Brad in his Citroen AX and Andrew in his Ginetta G15. I like driving Loton Park but it is one of those tracks I struggle with, so to be top in practice felt good – but meaningless.
On the Sunday we only get the two timed runs, a system I’m not a great fan off, but that I how it is. Again wet to damp track and it being only 9:30 in the morning and I was a bit too cautious and ended up 3rd in class for my first timed run, me with 65.07, Gavin on 63.29 and Brad beating both of us with a 62.78. It started to dry out before lunch but a rain shower over lunch wet the track again. We were on quite soon after lunch so we all decided to stay on our wet tyres for the 2nd Timed run. I was a lot more competitive on this run and ended up 2nd in class, Brad on 61.16, me on 61.34 and Gavin on 61.62. Great Hillclimbing, with us all pushing hard and ending up all within ½ a second.
This was the last round of the British Hillclimb Leaders Championship and with these last points I ended up winning the C(i) class ( Modified series production cars up to 1400cc ) and ended up 10th overall.
I removed the engine between events again and re-shimmed the clutch, hopefully it should be okay for the next event. Unfortunately the water system pressurising continued, looks like I have more of a problem. Any way just 2 more one day events on the same weekend to go, hopefully it will last to the end of the season.

Curborough Weekend (2 lap Saturday & Figure 8 Sunday) - October

To finish off the season I competed in the HSA Sprints at Curbs in mid-October. This year they ran the 2 lap course on Saturday & the Figure 8 Course on the Sunday. I haven’t done the 2 lap course for ages so it was interesting to try it again and it was damp start but dried out very quickly. Just two of us in the class but good fun anyway. Car was going really well and I set a PB, but then it was my first go at the 2 lap in the Imp. Won the class, but the other car was having his own problems. The engine was blowing out more water each time, and by the end of the day was filling the catch bottle and steaming/smoking a bit. It also wasn’t pulling off the start line properly, not sure what that was all about.
On the Sunday, It was raining when I arrived (left the car there overnight but went home), so fitted the wets. Tried to start the engine, but I didn’t want to go. I ended up connecting up a slave battery and turning it over for what felt like minutes, until it fired on a couple of cylinders. I managed to clear it and get it running on all 4 but it didn’t seem happy. Drive up to line up for my first practice, and it was steaming/smoking quite heavily, much to the annoyance of whoever I was parked alongside. It was not running happily and with all the steam/smoke, coupled with the amount of water it was throwing out, I decided to scratch my entry and retire the car. It was the last event of the year, not a championship round and all the bits were still inside the engine, so let’s put it away. Bit of a disappointing end but it will live to run another day.

So at the end of the year my Personal Best’s stand at:-

Barbon Manor 27.34 secs (July 2019 - Current Class Record)
Curborough 1 lap 33.90 secs (Oct 2017) (record 33.15)
Curborough fiq 8 63.66 secs (Aug 2019) (record 62.31).
Curborough 2 Lap 62.03 secs (Oct 2019) (record 60.11).
Doune 50.26 secs (Sept 2017 - Current Class Record)
Crystal Palace 37.14 secs (May 2019 - Current Class 15 Record)
Gurston Down 35.79 secs (Aug 2019) (record 35.01)
Harewood 63.90 secs (May 2019) (record 63.54)
Loton Park 58.59 secs (Sept 2019) (record 57.52)
Prescott 47.17 secs (April 2019 - Current Class Record)
Shelsley Walsh 32.67 secs (Aug 2017 - Current Class Record)

Things to do over the winter
Sort out what is wrong with the engine, I suspect a cracked head.
New charge cooler - I've not been happy with the one fitted. I have bought some Laminova cores from the USA to fit into a new inlet plenum I have to make.
Turbo Rebuild - I have noticed some damage on the inlet impellor and I might look into a Hybrid Turbo to release some more power.

Cheers

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Fabulous read, Eric. And congratulations ! 8)

Here's to another successful year next year.

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:42 pm

A few piccies of the car

The paddock at Gurston, early saturday morning minis everywhere. The two red ones and the orange one were in my class, the red one under the gazebo is Neil Turners class winner and class record holder. The other two are actually sports libre cars, the silver one has a fireblade engine in the front, and the white one is not really a mini, its basically Mitsubishi Evo running gear with a (squint at 50 paces) fiberglass mini shell on top. I have cropped out the AX and G15 to the right for effect.

In action at Gurston

Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
colimp66

Post by colimp66 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Brilliant reading once again Eric, thanks for sharing your racing exploits and photos of your car.

Good luck next year.
Cheers
Col
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Great right up of the last part of the season, plus this is a pic that a mate took of your car exiting Ashes at Gurston.
Eric at Gurston.jpg
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

^^^ took it in his stride! See .....he's looking down at his phone messages. :o

Great stuff Eric.

I reckon there isn't a better Competition Imper than Eric.

He's developed the Imp power train to a level well-beyond any other in recent years. 8)

Clan004