Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Christmas Update!!!

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

GeoffFarthing
Club Member: No

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) A few more bits and pieces!!

Post by GeoffFarthing »

When I came to remove the wiring harness I found that at the bottom of the rear cubby there was a mass of insulating tape. A rear short coversill had been welded on together with melting of the cable insulation. Six wires required repairing so the harness was cut and removed forwards and rearwards. Sections of colour coded wire were crimped to the rear section, fed in easily from front and rear and finally crimped and covered with split tubing.
Checking resistance will not show anything that is not obvious from visual Inspection. Contact cleaner and a small wire (suede) brush are useful.
Do you have a wiring diagram ??. When installed, it is good to label each cable with it's function. The white tracers may show more of a light brown.
Geoff F.
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

GeoffFarthing wrote: Checking resistance will not show anything that is not obvious from visual Inspection. Contact cleaner and a small wire (suede) brush are useful.
Do you have a wiring diagram ??. When installed, it is good to label each cable with it's function. The white tracers may show more of a light brown.
Geoff F.
I managed to get it all out in one Geoff, way back when in ohh 2010!!!
I did label everything with masking tape and writing on it for the connections, so when I dig it out of the box I will have to see it if is still readable :shock:
the original tape is all still neatly bound around it, it's just a very dirty, so I will check that over closely.
I've got a wiring diagram so that should help if the labels has faded or vanished.
I know I need to sort wires for the heater blower and horns as they weren't there and I have the kit to add the temperature gauge into the dash board so I know I need to put those wires into it as well.
I've also got part of a spare loom, so fingers crossed I have the additional wires in that that I may need!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
617sqn
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Paul. Considering the painstaking way you have gone at Gladdis so far, if it were me, I'd lay out the loom and copy it with all new cables, plus extras and with provision for relays and fuses. The original must be getting on in years now, so safety of you and your investment must be a priority.

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ What Andy said may well be a good idea. :) Don't forget what Noddy suffered a while back when the insulation on the poorly made but original earth loops under his dashboard failed and his car almost went up in smoke. :!: I plan to do something like what he subsequently did with his electrical system. :idea: That may involve me obtaining a brand new wiring loom for my car at some point.

GLAddis is looking wonderful! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

ImpManiac wrote:^^ What Andy said may well be a good idea. :)
Don't forget what Noddy suffered a while back when the insulation on the poorly made but original earth loops under his dashboard failed and his car almost went up in smoke.
:!: I plan to do something like what he subsequently did with his electrical system. :idea: That may involve me obtaining a brand new wiring loom for my car at some point.

GLAddis is looking wonderful! :D

IM 8)
Sorry IM 8) you have this wrong It was the horn that shorted internally which in turn blew the dash wiring.
Early cars have an " earth return " horn , GLAddis will certainly have this system , DONT use the original horn as its this that smelted my car not the original wiring.
FUSES , RELAYS ETC ETC .

HARTWELL MK1s advise on this

(0n mk1 chamois that were +ve earth) there is a live feed straight from the battery to the horn, and then onto the second, and the finally it gets earthed at the switch.

In 1989, a car horn sounded in the middle of the night for about 5 minutes, I thought nothing of it As it had a siren alarm fitted. However in the morning I went to the car, and it started and ran ok, but I had no horn!! . a few days latter when I went to it in the morning the car was full of stale smoke with a flat battery! The terminals had corroded and dropped the horns within days of each other, the first time on the second horn, which earthed the first, making it sound until it which failed
the second time it was the live feed, straight from the battery!

Loom was melted from the front to rear on the car.

I rang RJ Grimes, and they sold me a chamois sport loom , complete with a ammeter and clock, (all genuine rootes) for £40.

Give them a call in the morning

But seriouly all mk1's should have their wiring looked at
Formally known as " Noddy "
sammy the sturgeon

Well as I couldn't find any horns GLAddis now has a spanking pair of Volvo horns on her
- I was Deaf for a while after testing them, even with the ear defenders on-

As the Volvo was destined for the 'Crusher of doom' i took the connector blocks and a good few inches of the loom as well.

It's deviating from 'original' and you can all slap my hand for that - but now, I at least feel a little justified in doing it.(Thanks Noddy)

I'm still at the debating stage of original or fully fused wiring- I would like her to be original but the safety and loss of GLAddis, thing does play on my mind
been looking into fusable link wires that could be easily let in to parts of the circuits in appropriate hidden places but when I read about them I seem to turn dislexic and it may as well be written in ancient hebrew for the sense it makes.
And when I laid the loom out and started thinking - 'fuse box in the luggage compartment' extending all wires to go too and from it - my mind exoploded! loom got put back in the box!!!
HELLLLLLPPPPP! :roll:
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

sammy the sturgeon wrote:- 'fuse box in the luggage compartment' extending all wires to go too and from it - my mind exoploded! loom got put back in the box!!!
HELLLLLLPPPPP! :roll:
When originality gets in the way of safety or common sense mods that could save the car or your life then in my book its just stupid .
Just my opinion mind.
Singers fuse boxes are in the boot , by using Lucas original wire colours and proper ripaults crimps the wiring does look sort of period , fuse boxes dont but its behind the boot trim anyway.
As your car has very little in the way of electicery accessories your wiring would be quite easy to do.

Vuskys . its easier to alter a standard loom fitting them here

ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Noddy wrote:Sorry IM 8) you have this wrong...
It's not the first time, Noddy and it won't be the last. :roll: At least you've set the record straight. :wink: I was sure you said something about eliminating earths from the loom behind the dash. Oh well.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

ImpManiac wrote:
Noddy wrote:Sorry IM 8) you have this wrong...
I was sure you said something about eliminating earths from the loom behind the dash. Oh well.

IM 8)
Your correct on this , Lucas in their infinite wisdom tape all the earths and lives together in the same loom so if theres an earth fault or short then the lives get distroyed as well , had the earth wires been completely separate as ive done them now the damage would have been much less.
Thanks Lucas :shock:
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) T'as been a while!!

seems like forever since I posted here - it's not really, but anyway........

With the warm weather - the recovery was busy, busier than expected, then the schools finished and it was busy, then it rained and got really busy - so GLAd has been a little neglected :(

but there are a few bits i have done!

The paint shop has been busy though and Uncle Johns 'I don't do Classics' has been bent a little (again)

mmmmmmmm like this lump!!

It's out of this

and Uncle Johns Brother (who if he were my real uncle John, would be my Uncle Clive, or my Dad, but as he's not really, he isn't either :shock: :o )
brought this in to be two toned!

so everyone has been busy
but anyway back to GLAd
there has only really been tinkering time, and more little bits and pieces,
after buying a brake light switch and fitting it and then this arriving

I decided it was time to tackle bleeding the brakes, however on my own it wasn't the easiest thing so in the end I bled it through to the furthest back brake and have then left it - (some say leaving it overnight for any air to perculate is a good idea) I have taken it to the extreme, and due to work, have left it to perculate for about a week now!

other bits and pieces done
I have painted the black bit of the wiper motor

Then put it in place, but was waiting for the 10/32 bolts to fit it properly,

most of the time seems to be taken up with realising you don't have something, having to order it and wait for it to arrive and finding something to do in the mean time- at which point you find something else you haven't got!
For instance- the back is looking a little more complete, but I still need to find myself 8 shiny lucas bolts to secure the rear lights, as currently they are held in with 2 straight heads three philips heads and some destroyed old ones, none of them very good

steering wheel,
rubbed it down, dismantled the centre rubbed it down - Painted it and while it was drying it looked like this

centre dry and 'remantled' (is it a word? if there's diamantling then surely there should at least be mantling something, or remantling!?!?)

fitted the steering column and put the wheel on loosely as it will have to come off to ease in the dashboard into place, but took a pic anyway.

When doing that, I noticed the clutch pedal in relation to the brake and accelerator - looking like pixie steps up to the, - yet to be fitted-, heater box, something wrong there then!!

Took a while of head scratching to realise that I hadn't refitted the clutch master cylinder circlip fully home in the groove and it had sprung out. now let me say - it's fun trying to get in anything like a comfortable position where you can depress the clutch master actuator with one hand and compress the circlip with the other and get it all lined up to fit while the master is on the car, - i should get a degree in contortionism, and gynacology before long!! anyway after several attempts and catching the circlip whizzing past my ear, it was finally fitted and looking about right!!

so thats where i am at the moment with GLAddis, slow and steady

where's the national next year- you never know me and her might get there!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

The car's looking amazing, Paul. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon

ImpManiac wrote:The car's looking amazing, Paul. 8)

IM 8)
Thank you kindly sir, she will do, when I get her together !!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

nice work paul
looking good
thought it would be finished while weve been away :lol: :lol: :lol:
national not being revealed until October (technical problems)
keep it up (oh er misses)
hows the back
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
sammy the sturgeon

chris d wrote:nice work paul
looking good
thought it would be finished while weve been away :lol: :lol: :lol:
national not being revealed until October (technical problems)
keep it up (oh er misses)
hows the back
chris d
Thanks Chris,
I thought she would be finished for National- but you, of all people know how the time thing slips away!!!

A technical problem???? :?: :?:
ah well - hopppppefully she will be done by then,
but there are yet more and more challenges to face me in the next few months - all good - but using up that mythical 'free time'!

The back is doing well, don't want to speak too soon, but its good so far- I have managed the last few days without any tablets --yeaaahhh!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Bleeding brakes !!!

I got the brakes bled the other day- so it's not a blasphemy!!!

I took the slow route, I bled some fluid through to the o/s rear- the longest run, and then left it for a good few days, to let it settle as the whole system is brand spanking, dilly danking, new!

Then i bled a little more through the long one and worked back to the shortest one in order,
Once I was getting good clear airless fluid through all, i went around them again just for good measure
I have a nice, firm enough pedal, but I have a noise- which is easy to hear as she is bare inside,
It's as though the brake pressure switch (brake light switch) is clicking!
very quiet but audible if you listen close and coming from exactly that area,
I've never heard one click before so i presume it is a tiny bubble of air in the circuit around there! any way, I'm leaving it a few days as then if it is air in that area it should float up to the loop above the transaxle tunnel and I can just bleed through the long one again and make sure.

Other major tasks - - - -fitted the clutch and brake pedal rubbers!!!!!
laid out the wiring loom and scratched my head over that one again!!! - nothing achieved!
Put the dash and heater stickers on them and thay are nw waiting for a satin clear coat on them when Uncle John has some in the gun

still need to sort out some key bits that are holding me up a little - so I may shortly be posting in the parts wanted section, though I do have some people ferriting through their collections so I'll wait till they get back to me before I post that
other than that its just tinkering and chatting to GLAd, mainly apologising for not spending time with her!!!
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

sammy the sturgeon wrote:so thats where i am at the moment with GLAddis, slow and steady

where's the national next year- you never know me and her might get there!!!

Similar state to ruben, although he has to move garage again, (his 6th in 16 years since he has come off the road) Who knows he might be out and about next year! Imp001 Imp003 and parked next to gladdis
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun »

[quote="HARTWELL MK1"][/quote]

I see it says youre a member "yes" of the non members IMP Club now then Jeff?? Unless its because you like the colour PINK?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
ImpManiac

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Bleeding brakes !!!

Post by ImpManiac »

That all sounds like good progress, Paul. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) More bits and pieces

Thanks all

Few bits ove the past few days
Got the decals on the dash and heater box, though they look bad here I'm obviously just a practicing photographer!!

Took them up to Uncle John and he gave them a coat of Satin lacquer while he was doing something else with it,
then I rebuilt them all

took them up to GLAddis today but only managed to get the heater box fitted.

bit more done any way!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

cool pic paul
keep at it soon be driving her
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
sammy the sturgeon

Hi all,
It has been a busy time!
Very busy, so I have had little time to spend with GLAd!
One reason being that due to new business commitments I've had to Get 'R33CE' on the road after 3 years in Semi-retirement!
'R33CE' is a 98 Vectra B, that I have owned for 7 years but became redundant with me having use of LAURA from work over the last 3/4 years. Anyway it has become essential to get it back on the road so the past couple of weeks have been involved with that.
but although it was 'better the devil you know' there was still a long list of bits to do,
Exhaust back box, couple of brake pipes, full service, cam belt and water pump change, new battery, MOT, Tax, wrangle with insurance companies over the fact I had about 15 years no claims before the 'company car' and four clean years with the company, and see who would do the best over that. etc
this is R33CE
'Just in time' Cam belt change

With all that, and work and the business commitments I've only really had an afternoon/Evening with GLAddis since my last post and that was inspired by me finding the flat headed bolts and domed nuts that hold the rear window stays in place on the rear window. and thats where the fun began!!

I'd put the rear window body seal on a while ago and the one on the frame has been on it a good few months now so I got the window, lock, window stays and the rest of the bits together.
I found the little packing pieces that go under the hinges and sorted them all ready to fit,
I put them on and nothing did 'fit' :cry:
window and frame was a mile out - or so it seemed, the window was just too low in the frame, and while a close fit at the top, due to the new rubbers the bottom stood a good inch, maybe two, off touching, and with a litle gentle persuasing to close it, the catch in the window frame hit solidly on the rubber of the body.
head scratch and a cuppa to have a think!

While I was sipping I looked at the window from a distance and started to panic because of the optical illusion it creates.......

because the top of the window is slightly arched, When its in this position it looks as though it is severly bowed in the middle, I closed it and using one of the skylights in the roof of the paint shop I scanned across it (looked like a nutter trying to keep my head level and move from side to side) to see it is actually very very slightly curved, (you may have seen the thread I put in the general advice section about the back window being curved) it would appear that over the years it has very slightly, a suggestion in that thread is that it's because of it being held in the centre at the bottom and the rubbers push up on the lower corners, this would seem to make sense after 50 years. so i looked across the top from the side

thats when I started the thread, I took this as well just to confirm I had the glass in the right way too

So....The rubbers are new, they are pretty thick, and the window just wouldn't fit in the hole, so first thoughts were to raise the hinge packing.

I made some temporary ones out of 2.5 MM hardboard as the originals look pretty thin, and compared them side by side,
I removed the body seal to see if things looked right without that being there.

No it didn't, the hinges were raised far to high off the body and the window still didn't sit right in the opening and when I put the catch on it was still too low!

i took it all apart and put the original packing back in and ensured that I adjusted everything to the max, hinges as high up the car as possible,
lock as low as possible, window stays loose so they weren't interfering or forcing the frame etc - now without the body rubber the catch would just, and only just clear the the welded seem that the body rubber should sit on, but the screws holding the catch caught it, so - other shorter screws in, and as I closed it i twisted the bottom of the frame and it just clears the bottom of the apperture, but it won't click home in the lock- and thats without the body rubber on it! and an amount of pressure trying to do so!

more head scratching to do yet!
I think I am definately going to need one of those later longer catches (mentioned in the other thread) for the bottom of the frame!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Id bet its the new rubbers causing some of this , may i suggest you bend the square lock part on the window up a tad so it clears the welded seam better
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

What size difference are the early and later catches? May have one here on a good 1972 ish frame
sammy the sturgeon

Noddy wrote:Id bet its the new rubbers causing some of this , may i suggest you bend the square lock part on the window up a tad so it clears the welded seam better
yep a lot of it is the new rubbers, i did bend the catch up a little but the frame bottom moved 'inwards which makes me believe the bottom isn't fully home on the glass in the centre, so I think when I'm up there next there is going to be a rather large sash clamp going with me and a little persuasion!!!
basil imp wrote:What size difference are the early and later catches? May have one here on a good 1972 ish frame
I have no idea on the size difference, but I was informed on the other thread that the later ones have a longer catch,
I should have measured the one thats on her to compare them really- shouldn't I! :o
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Theres not a lot of difference on the catches , maybe 3mm or so.
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

Noddy wrote:Theres not a lot of difference on the catches , maybe 3mm or so.
Which looking at the catch would be easier just to file your out :D
sammy the sturgeon

Tiny update as I'm still very busy adjusting to all thats happening and haven't had that much time with GLAddis!

I managed to get along to the Sheffield meet and luckily Keith brought his Imp along (Thanks Keith)
what I now know is a couple of things
1. The window doesn't sit flush with the surrounding bodywork so it doesn't have to close as far as I thought, but
2. That means the tab on the window frame needs to be about twice as long as the MK1!

and a couple of observations
Noddy wrote:Theres not a lot of difference on the catches , maybe 3mm or so.
I need more than 3mm to get it to work
basil imp wrote: Which looking at the catch would be easier just to file your out :D
I looked at that but if you file it out as it closes it doesn't push the catch rear, to lift the catch front properly, this was confirmed when i looked at a spare one I have that has been filed and than had a blob of weld put on the end.

So after having the window on and off half a dozen times, I have put the seals back on and the window surround and started making a catch plate out of some 2 mm plate aluminium, I doubt it will be strong enough but I can play with that easier and get it to shut, adjust it so it's tight and hopefully that will compress the rubbers a little.
And at a later date make a proper solid one, or fit the later MK11 one, when they have settled in a while!

I'll hopefully report back later on that one! with some pics!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Making one out of aluminium is a clever idea, Paul. :) It's okay to aim to get the rear hatch to latch shut when released from horizontal. That's a good amount of compression on the seals.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon

Pictures!!!
Finally got the rear window to close and put a little pressure on the new rubbers, but, I'm not happy with it!
I hope its enough to compress the rubbers a little and at a later stage put an original catch plate on cos the gap is huge and its bound to leak!

I made this one up out of Aluminium as i said in the last post

campared to the original one it's far too long

But it closes now

but the gap is HUGE

I have also put the rubber in the drivers quarterlight to see what it looks like and trial fitted it without the Glass

I'll get round to doing more on that when I'm up there next.

Experiment Day!!!!
But today has been a bit of an 'experiment day'
brought on by the impending arrival of a rather rough Dashboard to use as a template to make a new one - The cardboard bit.
while thinking about what to make it out of and searching the net for millboard and the like I looked at the centre piece that fitts under the bonnet and how much it looked and felt like 'Greyboard' Available from hobbycraft, its with all the picture mounting stuff and comes in about 2.00 mm, 2.50 mm and 3.00 mm board
dug some out from my picture framing supplies and had a play with it

I got some odd bits and tried boot polish and the surface is too waxy to take it, got a tin of satin black aerosol car paint and gave it a thin coat, didn't want to make it too wet or it might bend (hold that thought) gave it another coat and left it to dry!

quite happy with how near the finish is to the panel under the bonnet
are they similar? dash and underbonnet stuff?

While that was drying, I got another piece and thought about bending it.
what i did was get a spoon and wet it, the drop that was in the spoon meant I could run it along a straight line with the edge of the spoon!
I did that and left it a minute and did the other side down the same line (though that was a mistake!)

Turned it over and wet it down the same line and gently bent it, it seems to be made up in about 5 layers and the outer layers when a little wet do expand, but that enables you to bend it.
I taped it to a ruler and put it on the radiator to dry and see what it was like when it did.

I'm happy with that

so the result of todays experiments were quite productive!!

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

That`ll work I reckon mate! :wink:
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Wow the gap on the rear window shut is indeed mahoosive .
To my eys the rear window seal " flap " is too long and catching the bodywork , this will get worst when you refit the stainless trim around the window
Just a pointer.
You can see on the closed catch picture its actually bending the frame by the lock
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

Noddy wrote:Wow the gap on the rear window shut is indeed mahoosive .
To my eys the rear window seal " flap " is too long and catching the bodywork , this will get worst when you refit the stainless trim around the window
Just a pointer.
You can see on the closed catch picture its actually bending the frame by the lock
I seem to remember when I did my rear window the new rubber on the opening sections fits two ways and the obvious way was wrong!
Hard to explain but I'm sure some one else can
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Peter Hurst wrote:

I seem to remember when I did my rear window the new rubber on the opening sections fits two ways and the obvious way was wrong!
Hard to explain but I'm sure some one else can
Seal looks like its fitted correctly to me
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith »

Hi Paul,
I'm not sure, but is your rubber in the right way? Have a look at our thread. I took our rear hatch (but not the car!)to the WWW 2 years ago and copied how Jill and Ken Dunkley's was fitted as I put it in the wrong way initially. I took photos when we removed it when we decided to do a full resto so that I got it right when I refitted it.
We can't get ours to shut at the moment though. We need to make a new bracket like you've done but we can't find a suitable piece of metal .
Lesley
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Does anyone want me to post up a picture of how my seals are fitted and how the window looks when shut :?:
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith »

Of course we do Noddy ! We love pictures.... and also looking forward to seeing them for real at WWW!

Phil
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

philgsmith wrote:Of course we do Noddy ! We love pictures.... and also looking forward to seeing them for real at WWW!

Phil
Pics in my natterings of rear window fittage , didnt want to clutter this thread with images of my car. :)
sammy the sturgeon

philgsmith wrote:Hi Paul,
I'm not sure, but is your rubber in the right way? Have a look at our thread. I took our rear hatch (but not the car!)to the WWW 2 years ago and copied how Jill and Ken Dunkley's was fitted as I put it in the wrong way initially. I took photos when we removed it when we decided to do a full resto so that I got it right when I refitted it.
We can't get ours to shut at the moment though. We need to make a new bracket like you've done but we can't find a suitable piece of metal .
Lesley

Thanks Lesley, mine are fitted the same way as yours are !
Noddy wrote: Seal looks like its fitted correctly to me
just looked at the pics on your thread Noddy and yep thats the same way as I have fitted mine. Thanks a bundle for those.
Noddy wrote: Pics in my natterings of rear window fittage , didnt want to clutter this thread with images of my car. :)
I wouldn't have minded at all

so upshot - they are fitted the right way,
frame seal same as noddys and phil and lesleys and the body seal is the same as on phil and lesleys too- but that one thats hard to get the wrong way round any way.

One thing i have noticed from the pictures is that the bolts that hold the rear window handle seem to be distorting the rubber, i'm wondering if they have too big a head and that is pushing it out, although the difference will be tiny - you often find out its a combnation of tiny little things that make all the difference.
i also think the rubber around the frame is too stiff, When I looked at keiths I noticed that his over the years has settled to fill the step between the inner and outer (hard to explain but it now fills the space as more of a triangle than the square of the new one that needs pushing!!!!)

so I think its a combination of those, the other thing that has struck me is that with it being so stiff, at the top as it closes and meets it will be acting more as a wedge than a seal with it's stiffness and in effect pushing the window down the opening, the hinges are as high as I can get them!

The old seal was shot but when I'm next up there I will see if its still in the box and have a look at it and compare it.

thanks for all the input

Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

You'll work it out, Paul. :D I used aftermarket seals in my car while it was on the road and, even in the rain, it didn't seem to leak. If it did leak, it wasn't much. :wink: Uncle Malcolm told me that the key is to use a matching pair of seals - car and frame - from the same supplier that are designed to work together. :!: I'm sure you will be doing just that, though.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon

ImpManiac wrote:You'll work it out, Paul. :D I used aftermarket seals in my car while it was on the road and, even in the rain, it didn't seem to leak. If it did leak, it wasn't much. :wink: Uncle Malcolm told me that the key is to use a matching pair of seals - car and frame - from the same supplier that are designed to work together. :!: I'm sure you will be doing just that, though.

IM 8)
Yes they were bought from malcolm at the national in bangor, so I have faith that after some time and adjustment and messing around with them they will work, time will tell!!!
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily

Return to “Readers Cars”