Meltdown Motorsport - In the bleak midwinter

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

apeximp
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - Electrickery and all that.

Post by apeximp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Quaife (Dave Weedon) new box only done 15 miles since build , with lower third & fourth gears ! Similar to my jk set up but hopefully stronger ! :?
Last edited by apeximp on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meltdown
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I now have an ewp and a shiny newness tacho in my grubby mitts :lol: Nowt doing over the weekend as I'm off to a christening oop narth. Normal service will resume shortly :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Spent some bonding time with t'truck after work. All rusty bits on the cab now kurusted and primed, wd40 sprayed liberally on squeaky door hinges and had a play with the electrickery in the back. Superwinch works, well, always. It has a mind of its own :o sometimes it stops, sometimes not, but I can reverse it by flicking a switch so shouldn't crush the Chamois into the workbench... Hopefully just a loose wire in the trigger. Any superwinch experts out there? Got one of three lights working inside, haven't sussed out the others. There's also dimmable spotlights in the ceiling but they're 240volt so need hook-up. Found the radio/cd front in a cab pocket so now wired for sound :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - Change that to Muppet M...

Post by Meltdown » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Having now exhaustively searched the shed, garage and all those boxes we haven't yet unpacked from moving some 8 years ago I can sadly report that I no longer posess a 140mph speedo or my newness 19 row oil cooler...must have thrown them in when i sold Oven. So if the current owner of JPP is reading this could I have them back please?!? I'm usually such a hoarder...
I am, however, sacking the cats as I found evidence of meeces in the shed :shock:
Drove Meltdown the Second today. Much better than the old'un. Apparently I can do 70 on motorways so should beat those racing boys with trailers to the paddock :lol: It's all psycological ya know :D
65 Chamois
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Meltdown wrote:Spent some bonding time with t'truck after work. All rusty bits on the cab now kurusted and primed, wd40 sprayed liberally on squeaky door hinges and had a play with the electrickery in the back. Superwinch works, well, always. It has a mind of its own :o sometimes it stops, sometimes not, but I can reverse it by flicking a switch so shouldn't crush the Chamois into the workbench... Hopefully just a loose wire in the trigger. Any superwinch experts out there? Got one of three lights working inside, haven't sussed out the others. There's also dimmable spotlights in the ceiling but they're 240volt so need hook-up. Found the radio/cd front in a cab pocket so now wired for sound :D

Superwinch, ---- is it controlled by two solenoids?
If it is, we have them on the recovery trucks, if anything goes wrong its always the solenoids!
they stick on, they stick off, but its not good when you have cars hanging on the end of them either way!!
Do you have an emergency shut off button in the system- ours get used regularly!!!
as well as an Isolator switch/big red plastic key? I've had one of those corrode but that just stopped everything working!

The solenoids cost about 11.75 each, we keep two in stock for when the next one goes- always replace them in pairs cos they have all sorts of linking strips and its a bit of a puzzle getting them apart and back together.
If it isn't solenoids then sorry - Don't know!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 pm

/\/\Interesting, thank you. The truck has an isolator as you describe which cuts off everything bar the tachograph. The emergency cut-off for the winch is...pulling the cable connector out! Next time I'm with the truck I'll take a piccy for you. Can you tell me where I might find the solenoids you mention please? The control is at the back of the truck with a long cable - a bit like a scalextric controller but with a reverse switch. I'll investigate the trigger in this first.
65 Chamois
sammy the sturgeon

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Meltdown wrote:/\/\Interesting, thank you. The truck has an isolator as you describe which cuts off everything bar the tachograph. The emergency cut-off for the winch is...pulling the cable connector out! Next time I'm with the truck I'll take a piccy for you. Can you tell me where I might find the solenoids you mention please? The control is at the back of the truck with a long cable - a bit like a scalextric controller but with a reverse switch. I'll investigate the trigger in this first.

Solenoids are usually pretty near the winch- but could be anywhere, On Laura (The landrover) they are behind the grill, just above the winch its self. Should be able to just follow the big cables from the winch. and normally these are quite short to the solenoids(thick like battery main cables)

We have an Isolator switch for the winch on the big red key, but also a big red button like on any workshop machinary as an emergency cut off. just in case.
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 am

Thank you, I'll have a nose in due course.
Spent the morning fitting grp bonnet & engine lid and making holes for pins, washer jets, number plate & light. They're a perfect fit (thanks to Apeximp for his recommendation backed up by Colin Rooney. Grp doors will be fitted with Imp hinges (to be lightened) once the cage is in, then the openings can be painted
Still lots to do, feeling jealous for the guys at Donnington today...best of luck to you all :D
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - Wheely good day!

Post by Meltdown » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Following this mornings great effort we had afternoon tea chez Morgan and can confirm that Mrs Morgan does indeed make exceedingly good cookies :D Picked up Tim's revolutions for the racer, which turn out to be 5.5" wide and not the 6" both Tim and I suspected...and I'd tried measuring them whilst they were on his car too! Fate is being kind, however, as Dunlop state that the optimum width for the control race tyres is 5.5" so I'm a happy bunny :D Thanks go to the Morgans for wheels, tea and especially cookies :D
65 Chamois
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Shhhhh! Rob will start getting jealous... :wink:

I'm glad the wheels are spot on for you! 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
sammy the sturgeon

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 am

Any luck with Winnie the winch?
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm

sammy the sturgeon wrote:Any luck with Winnie the winch?
Haven't looked yet, the truck's parked a few miles from here.
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Added a wee bit of bling today...blue ally bonnet pins (whoohoo :D ). The steel ones were getting corrosion particularly with the screws so that justifies it :D . All part of making sure any holes needed in the new grp panels are drilled before painting.
Plan is to get the cage and dash panel welded in, then mount the grp doors (bonnet and engine cover are on), then get the paint done. Whilst the car's away I can get the dash planned and built and clean up the revo's.
Medical booked...late morning is the only time they do them so spoils a working day :roll:
Now need to sort polycarb windows and a modded rad for the back.
65 Chamois
Bevan IMP
Car Model: Bevan IMP Group 2

Post by Bevan IMP » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Meltdown,

I may be wrong !!! but i think you may have to bolt in the cage for the hscc series. I would check before you go welding.

Jonathan
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 am

Bevan IMP wrote:Hi Meltdown,

I may be wrong !!! but i think you may have to bolt in the cage for the hscc series. I would check before you go welding.

Jonathan
Cage must be as per MSA requirements and be FIA or manufacturer approved. It's being made by Fabricage and I'm sure the boys at Higham Autos know what they're doing :D The only spurious point I've heard of regards competing abroad where some foreign scrutineers prefer a second door bar on the drivers side so I've added this to the spec.
Thank you for your concern, Jonathan. Any and all constructive criticism gratefully received :D
65 Chamois
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Good choice of cage and yes they are bolt in and very easy to fit as well
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Haven't had much time, but enough to make a template for ewp mounting bracket...in time honoured fasion using a cereal packet :D The alloy chequer-plate (remember that from before, recycling at work here :D ) will produce a suitably strong item.
Have an iron in the fire regarding powerplant, will hopefully find out tomorrow :D
65 Chamois
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 pm

I might have what you need , have to rummage about though :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
sammy the sturgeon

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 pm

You know I said the solenoids are going all the time for the superwinch!!!!!
I must have tempted fate!!!!

had to replace a pair today! so i took a few pics for you.
this is them attached, earthed through the body.
DSC03807a.JPG
theres four battery size leads to them and two smaller trigger type cables
DSC03808a.JPG
DSC03810a.JPG
And when you get them off theres the jigsaw of connecting plates between terminals!!!
DSC03811a.JPG
my advise is to take pics on yourt phone for putting them back together right.
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Meltdown

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - Good and not so.

Post by Meltdown » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Good news is the 'box is ready :D
Bad news is I'm fast running out of options enginewise, unless I spank loadsamoney on a brand new one which I'm not prepared to do at this stage. Just two potential s/h ones have come on the market in the last 6 months and I missed both by only hours :roll:
65 Chamois
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

unless the new ones are allready built you may have to wait a while for it if you go down that route, have you tried the engine builders to see if they have or know of anyone selling a good used motor, most have their ear to the ground and will put you in-touch with sellers.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 am

Been for my medical, doctor couldn't find a brain so I can go racing :D
65 Chamois
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:06 am

Meltdown wrote:Been for my medical, doctor couldn't find a brain so I can go racing :D
I think you left it behind your tent at Bridgwater! :lol:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 pm

bazzateer wrote:
Meltdown wrote:Been for my medical, doctor couldn't find a brain so I can go racing :D
I think you left it behind your tent at Bridgwater! :lol:
:lol: Threw it out with the rubbish :lol:
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Not much to report...engine lid handles fitted, but am having to file a bit off the grp to clear the catches. Plastic windows confirmed as over 4mm so just need to order ones for the doors, there's a place just down the road from the office that supplies & cuts plastic so that's handy :D
Waiting for the cage now...not to mention news on potential engine. Hope these happen soon as entries close for May's Silverstone event on April 20th...ooh eck :shock:
65 Chamois
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Glad to hear of your progress. :D I really hope you manage to find a decent engine, though. :?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 pm

The cage is ready...hurrah! Car's going to Highams on monday (first trip in t'truck, will take some pics :D ) to get the dash welded on and cage & grp doors fitted. Picking up the 'box on tuesday or wednesday as I'm usefully working near Worcester then so passing Dave's door. Once Highams have transformed the car from wishitwas to nearlyis it'll go to my friendly neighbourhood paintshop to get the grp bits looking good (the red/gold Falcon he's just done looks amazing), I think I'm right in saying he did some work on Mike Dowsett's racer.
Whilst the garage is empty I'll tidy up the revos and get some Dunlops on (thanks again, Tim), get the rallye dash instrumented and have a proper go through Wimp's bits'n'bobs.
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Who is painting the car then ??? Any engine news meltdown ? Mine is on the rolling road week today ! this time next week it hopefully will all be happy days gulp ! :shock:
Jim
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 pm

He's not far from Towcester, usually has something exotic in his workshop...Aston, Jag etc. Enginewise I'm trialling a scaled-up hamster wheel attached to the transaxle for our cat Gizmo together with his dinner bowl just out of reach :lol: Extra meat will provide a CATapult effect, but a CATalogue of disasters has resulted in a CATastrophe :roll:
Good luck with the rollers :D
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - We have lift off!

Post by Meltdown » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm

HBH has its first trip in t'truck :D Taken it to the secret storage place ready to go to Higham's tomorrow.
WHLO.JPG
Will the tail-lift do the job?
WHLO2.JPG
Yes it will. Hurrah
WHLO3.JPG
Tie that beast down...
65 Chamois
MiniChris
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

Post by MiniChris » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Thumbs up!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Nick,

Are you going racing with the D1s?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:16 pm

bazzateer wrote:Nick,

Are you going racing with the D1s?
I've a set of 13" revolutions, but may well use those 12" Dunlops on tighter circuits.
65 Chamois
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks a great wagon , Full workshop facilities going in then :?:
Formally known as " Noddy "
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Noddy wrote:Looks a great wagon , Full workshop facilities going in then :?:
:lol: There's plenty of room for a futon :lol: It has leccy hook-up and 13amp plug sockets plus lighting so is pretty versatile. Whilst it's kept in a fairly safe place out of view from Joe Public, I won't be keeping anything but the car in there unless I'm with it, ie at race meetings.

HBH is now at Higham's and the cage arrived there too, I got an envelope full of electrickery goodies through today so can get the dash etc sorted. Have two leads on the engine front now, one new one s/h, waiting for spec of s/h one especially as it comes with carbs/manifold. Picked up a cheap but freshly refurbed pair of dellorto's just in case (subject to jetting...letter stamped after DHLA40 is N...any good?).
65 Chamois
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

c
Last edited by Lotus-e-Clan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:25 am

/\/\Noted, thank you. So long as it's do-ble. I assume once off idle they'll be ok?
65 Chamois
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 am

c
Last edited by Lotus-e-Clan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm

/\/\That's good to know. I've been offered an alternative c/w webers just waiting for spec. If I go that route and they are up to the job then that will do for now and the dell'ortos I can set up at a future date. I don't like this waiting game...May's Silverstone event is looking more and more like a photo shoot rather than a race.
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

All the best with your race car build and prep meltdown ! I don't expect to get out again now till brands hatch ! Just had a bit of suspension work done and a few other bits and bobs that came up in the season opener at Donington Park last month , the rolling road day has been put of now till after Easter break , will then get a test day in and see if I have cracked the lack of revs / power !!!

Return to “Readers Cars”