Meltdown Motorsport - In the bleak midwinter

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Meltdown
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Meltdown Motorsport - In the bleak midwinter

Post by Meltdown » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 pm

In the beginning there was a desire, an urge to pedal an Imp jolly quickly. Having been to Brands many a time in my youth, and then following the RAC Rally around the country (back in the good old days when it was a 5 day event going a great deal further afield than today's 'rally of Cardiff car park'!) I joined the local car club to feed the need for speed :evil: Various 12 car road rallies ensued, scatters and PCTs, and then I found myself in the 'hot seat' on stage rallies - mostly in a friend's Nova but once in a replica Austin Healey Sebring Sprite - lower, lighter and faster than the owner's original which he'd sold in the '60s for a song.

Then I bought Fridge (quickly sprayed a very bright white) and no heater, hence the name, with the intention of going rallying but using the car ('75 Imp super) on the road. Fridge became Oven once a heater, front rad and associated in-car plumbing was added, was stripped out, cage seats and harnesses fitted, splendid design fibreglass bonnet with outlet for rad, and s straight-cut close ratio box, and proper suspension. All it needed were a hot engine, the Tim Duffee special disc brakes all round fitted and fire extinguishers and I'd be thrashing her to my heart's content...but I ran out of money, got a mortgage, changed my priorities, etc :roll: There was one highlight, though. Rosemary Smith drove it in anger at a National Weekend autotest! Oven was sold a few years ago, most probably for the 'box, and I've heard nowt since of JPP 335N.

It was around this time last year that I began to think of motorsport again, and coincidentally found Gerry Richards HTS website attempting to create a race series for 1000cc cars. Since then I've been on the hunt for 'a suitable Imp-powered race car'. Anyone still reading this will have noted the change from rally to race...I'm 20 years older and will probably need more run-off than a tree-lined forest track!

Ok, so I want to buy a racing car. This presents the problem of 'where to put it'. Hmm, garage full of Chamois Coupe and three bikes, not to mention my 25 year collection of all things Imp... This also presents the problem of 'how to transport said car to the races'. Company mundaneo about to be downsized to a non-suitable tow car, and I hate towing with a vengeance - have had a couple of scares there...glad the A3 had three lanes that day :oops:

Well, I've solved one problem, namely 'how to transport it'. My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to present THE TRUCK :D
DSC_0892_3.jpg
I currently also have somewhere cheap to put it, which is good. It started life as a department store delivery lorry before becoming a Horsebox, and it has a tail lift/ramp which with a little modifcation should be good for a lightweight race Imp. And it has space for living accommodation. It needs some fettling, but it runs and has a current mot.

Just add Imp :D I'm toying with the idea of joining the HSCC crowd, so if you have/know of someone who has a race-prepped Imp I'm all ears! It doesn't have to be all there, so long as the body is rust free. The target is to get on the grid early next year. Anon.
Last edited by Meltdown on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:57 am, edited 51 times in total.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
CMGBW
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - In the beginning

Post by CMGBW » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 pm

I would like to point out that it was his wifely wench that found the aforementioned Truck - I thought a box with hydraulic tailgate could be a bonus!! 8)

Also, might be required to be a horsebox, briefly, occasionally, as I am now horse riding again after a 31 year absence from the 'Sport of Kings' - yes I do wish to ride sidesaddle, all dressed up 'Like a Lady' whilst flying a bird of prey!! :!:

Meltdown already owes me 2 dinners - 1 for a reason I forget :roll: and 1 for find the racemobile, otherwise known as 'Colin'
:lol:
Crazy Mad Granny Biker Wench !! :)
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Oh womanly guile,

yes honey you need transport for your race car, that you don't have yet - do you think a horsebox would work - Oh do you think we could use it occassionally
as a horsebox. :wink:

Conned there Meltdown

Nice one Mrs Meltdown. :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Nice one , you could live in it at the national , save on all that tent malarky :lol: , perhaps you should buy the 64 off Annie , would make a grat car once built
Formally known as " Noddy "
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 pm

save on all that tent malarky
We bought a new tent a few weeks ago, tall enough to stand in and probably big enough to house the truck :lol:

Yes, saw that 'horsey' thing coming! Pepi won't want a gee gee eating our plants any more than I would...and you won't catch me on one - dangerous at both ends and bumpy in the middle!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
long_gone_John
Club Member: No
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Meltdown wrote:
save on all that tent malarky
We bought a new tent a few weeks ago, tall enough to stand in and probably big enough to house the truck :lol:

Yes, saw that 'horsey' thing coming! Pepi won't want a gee gee eating our plants any more than I would...and you won't catch me on one - dangerous at both ends and bumpy in the middle!
... DON'T put your Fluorescent lamp down on the floor.... err.... Evva :lol: :lol:

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Fluorescent lamp
But that was going to be the evening's entertainment at National Weekend :lol: :oops:

Back t'truck, everything that should work does, including the indicators that conked out when the LH sidelight fuse blew (?) despite them having their own fuse...A thorough check of the wiring diagram needed methinks. The cab has a case of the tinworm but nothing insurmountable. You can of course see that it's in dire need of a fresh lick of paint - once I've chosen my racing colours it will be done to match. Meltdown was Glenalmond Green so that will be the main hue. The box will be fitted with a means of strapping the beast down, together with living/sleeping stuff. All in good time.
65 Chamois
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 pm

[quote]
The box will be fitted with a means of strapping the beast down,[/quote]

You'll have the RSPCA after you, mistreating the poor horse like that :lol:

Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 pm

You'll have the RSPCA after you, mistreating the poor horse like that
Lol :lol: Especially when they ask how many horses there are in the back, and I say there's over 100 :lol:
65 Chamois
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Meltdown wrote:
You'll have the RSPCA after you, mistreating the poor horse like that
Lol :lol: Especially when they ask how many horses there are in the back, and I say there's over 100 :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

roflmao
"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 pm

roflmao
Yeah, I suppose there'd be the odd donkey :lol:
65 Chamois
CMGBW

Post by CMGBW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Back t'truck, everything that should work does, including the indicators that conked out when the LH sidelight fuse blew (?) despite them having their own fuse...A thorough check of the wiring diagram needed methinks.

Hmmmm.... again the younger, less experienced male of the species takes the credit for the old..er female :o :shock: - 'twas in fact me that sussed the lights problem 8) which was partially poo pooed by my wonderful husband... :roll:
I still got a brain cell & it works, lol

Scott - I thought that was you... remember Mr & Mrs, pre. us being Mr & Mrs in 1998???
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 pm

[quote="CMGBW]
[color=#0000BF]Scott - I thought that was you... remember Mr & Mrs, pre. us being Mr & Mrs in 1998???[/color][/quote]

:? Sorry think you have mistaken me for someone else.

Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:00 pm

the old..er female
You're not old, you're a recycled teenager :lol: (why did I type that? You're sitting next to me!)

NEWSFLASH! Rust-free race Imp project found at National! Deposit paid, picking it up next Friday. Jolly tidy, part-prepared. Full report and piccies to follow in a week's time...watch this space! First outing and sleeping in t'truck aborted as heavy rain and a fibreglass roof won't mix when attempting to zed...
65 Chamois
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 am

First outing and sleeping in t'truck aborted as heavy rain and a fibreglass roof won't mix when attempting to zed...
Ah! What you need is spray on anti-drumming paint - I think boat chandlry places sell it for plastic pigs (sorry, I mean river crusiers). Its a gunge that you spray onto the inside of the panels to stop the drumming you get when it rains - a mate used it when restoring his caravan... I'll ask where he got it from.

EDIT: Google is your friend: http://www.spray-insulation.co.uk/soundproofing.htm

8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Ah! What you need is spray on anti-drumming paint - I think boat chandlry places sell it for plastic pigs (sorry, I mean river crusiers). Its a gunge that you spray onto the inside of the panels to stop the drumming you get when it rains - a mate used it when restoring his caravan... I'll ask where he got it from.
That could work very well, and block out unwanted early morning light! Like it. We have similar stuff in our loft as insulation which works. BTW 'plastic pig' is also an affectionate name for Reliant Robins!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Re: Meltdown Motorsport - Race car project purchased!

Post by Meltdown » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Picked HBH 665C up Friday evening and drove home from Southampton. You may remember the tidy Singer in white/blue stripe at National. She's a MK1 and rust-free, already fitted with front discs and rad and stripped out interior, and has been converted to negative earth and alternator. Cage doesn't have diagonal or door bars and seats/harness out of date but they're not overly expensive to replace in the scheme of things, so if there's anyone looking for these items for a non-race/rally car let me know. Photos to follow when I'm not so busy.

T'truck had a run to Silverstone this weekend for BTCC, complete with futon, and a jolly comfortable night's sleep was had (once we'd kicked out our drinking companions!). There is, however, a mild pong of horse...even after jet-washing the floor! And if I had a pound for every bit of straw I could finance the race build!
65 Chamois
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 am

Nick,
Apparently a large bowl of white vinegar left in the truck for a few days should clear unwanted smells.

Also very good for rust removal!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Apparently a large bowl of white vinegar left in the truck for a few days should clear unwanted smells.

Also very good for rust removal!
Interesting to know and worth a try! Fortunately the box is ally & timber on a steel chassis (which is so thick it will take donkeys years to rust). A truck mot guy I know is making enquiries regarding getting the cab free of tinworm for me.
65 Chamois
CMGBW

Post by CMGBW » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:34 pm

There is, however, a mild pong of horse...even after jet-washing the floor!
There is nothing wrong with a mild horsey smell in the slightest, t'was after all the buying of said truck at a stables that made me take up equestrianism again :) which has made me a very happy wife :wink: .

I should also add that sleeping in t'truck last weekend it did in fact chuck it down rain wise and this proved to be no where near as loud as my old mobile home with it's ali' roof! :roll: , in fact a most pleasant pitter patter that soothes a bod to spleep.... ok so the consumption of vino may have helped that process for both of us :twisted:
daysineuropa
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and Imps

Post by daysineuropa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:54 am

Fantastic story! Good luck to both of you.

I hope to do the same over here next year in a Hartwell 998 powered Fraser replica running to VARA specs.

My wife only asked for chickens for Imps, are the stakes that much higher for race Imps? ;

Glad she doesn't follow the forum............
68 Stiletto/65 NAS Imp Mk 1
64 NAS Mark 1
67 Imp Mk 2 from Bury St Edmund's!
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Fantastic story! Good luck to both of you.
Thank you from across the Pond! Are you aware there's a race Imp for sale in Seattle? Advertised on this Forum a month or so ago. I made enquiries before I found HBH, the seller said he would prefer to keep it Stateside so if you're looking get in touch with him :D
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Finally got to take some pics in daylight when it isn't persisting down :D
ICF_1.jpg
ICF_2.jpg
Chequerplate floor & pedal extensions. Looks good but slippery when wet. Gotta go...
ICF_3.jpg
Interesting dash mod that might have worked if the wheel was lowered. Gotta go...
ICF_4.jpg
No diagonal, out of date harnesses and too many seats. All vgc but gotta go...
65 Chamois
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Rather than replacing the cage just weld in the diagonals and seat belt bars if required, same with door bars going to work out
a lot cheaper.

Keep the passenger seat and then you can do track days etc and show off to your friends and family :

Good luck

Scott
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 pm

That looks like a beautiful car, I remember having a good look at it at national.

I have to disagree about keeping the passenger seat though Scott, a race car is a race car. Once you start doing anything for comfort, MOTs or passengers you are comprimising performance. 8)
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Chris

Sorry did not make myself clear, agree remove it but keep it and put it back in when required. :?

Scott
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Oh, thats fair enough. Terrify anyone who is brave enough to take a ride =p
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Oh, thats fair enough. Terrify anyone who is brave enough to take a ride =p
I know a guy who races a Ginetta G50 who charges £100 for just such a ride!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Chris Benoy, you mentioned recently that I'd need 2 bits of dash to go with the proposed rallye dash. Did you mean the brackets either side to bolt it to the facia or did you mean the 'crash bars' i.e. short one on the right & long one holding ash tray (cos of course I enjoy an oily rag mid-race) on left? There's a few clips on UTub sans crash bars so I'm presuming the brackets.
Cage is 36mm so will most likely go the whole hog and fit a 50mm. Harness can stay bolted to rear bulkhead - lighter than an extra tube and still at a decent angle. Need a 6 point.
65 Chamois
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm

[quote="ChrisBenoy"]Oh, thats fair enough. Terrify anyone who is brave enough to take a ride =p[/quote]

Reminds me off the Knockhill Track day at the National, took a few people round and finally they persuaded Hazel (my wife) to have a go.

Pulling out of the pits, she was screaming that we were too close to the car in front, then screaming we were going too fast round the corners
by the end of the second lap realised that I wasn't about to stuff it and started to relax. Don't think she enjoyed it but I did :twisted:

Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Reminds me off the Knockhill Track day at the National, took a few people round and finally they persuaded Hazel (my wife) to have a go.

Pulling out of the pits, she was screaming that we were too close to the car in front, then screaming we were going too fast round the corners
by the end of the second lap realised that I wasn't about to stuff it and started to relax. Don't think she enjoyed it but I did
:lol: Pepi'd ask me for the keys! :lol: She doesn't hang about when the moment takes her!
65 Chamois
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Meltdown

Who's doing 50mm Imp roll cages ?

Regards
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 pm

[quot
l: Pepi'd ask me for the keys! :lol: She doesn't hang about when the moment takes her![/quote]

Give her the keys - it's a race car so you don't need them. :lol: :lol:

Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Dunno. Haven't done much window shopping yet. IIRC the ex-Mike Hanna has one. I want it to be FIA spec so's I can go abroad in due course.

"Give her the keys - it's a race car so you don't need them"

Methinks it would be a case of 'move over darling' :lol:
65 Chamois
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Meltdown wrote:Chris Benoy, you mentioned recently that I'd need 2 bits of dash to go with the proposed rallye dash. Did you mean the brackets either side to bolt it to the facia or did you mean the 'crash bars' i.e. short one on the right & long one holding ash tray (cos of course I enjoy an oily rag mid-race) on left? There's a few clips on UTub sans crash bars so I'm presuming the brackets.
Cage is 36mm so will most likely go the whole hog and fit a 50mm. Harness can stay bolted to rear bulkhead - lighter than an extra tube and still at a decent angle. Need a 6 point.
I just meant these bits.

bks974c

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Meltdown

When I was doing BKS I contacted Mike about his cage and he had fabricated it himself. I was unable to find anyone doing a 50mm cage but this was several
years ago.

Regards
Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Thank you both, Chris & BKS.

Ok....'Cars & Parts Wanted' - 'These Bits' :lol: Ash tray preferred but not essential :lol:
65 Chamois
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 am

Mrs. IM did not appreciate being a passenger out on track with me in the Chamois. :? And that was before I rolled it. :wink: But I still have a passenger seat for now. I shall keep it until I actually race and then I shall keep it in the shed for road use.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 pm

50MM Rear hoop and 45mm front leg cages can be bought from Fabricage in cambribge contact Peter on 01223870563 tell him i put you intouch ,i have fitted 1 of his cages and there the bees knees and Stuart at rodwell has fitted 1 in his imp

col
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:44 pm

Custom cages in Daventry might also be worth a phone call, there are a few places that will bend CDS rollcage tube to a pattern, if you want to make your own cage design then you could mock up the main hoops etc in 15mm copper pipe then put thick lagging on them to check for the fit, then take these to your tube man to copy, or take them the current cage if you want it the same but beefier.

other places i can think of are caged, rollcentre, fabricage, there is another one up in yorkshire that i cannot remember, no doubt there are others; depends where you are, personally i try and use local companies for ease of transport.