Sunbeam Sport OGP933P Bridgewater pic

willsrings
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport

Sunbeam Sport OGP933P Bridgewater pic

Post by willsrings »

At last back with an MOT after nearly five years sat in the garage. I need to sort out a hot staerting problem which I think is due to no fuel pressure regulator. It runs an electric pump and 28/36 with a janspeed manifold and heat shield under the carb. Cold starting seems ok as probably the float chamber is not overfull but re starting seems to be a problem I guess due to pressure overcoming the needle valve.
The driver side sill has been restored to original thanks to some ace work by Impecunious on his four post lift.

I had forgotten how much attention the Imp draws; as I sat at the petrol station waiting for the temp and fuel pressure to ease a very nice Spanish lady asked if I needed any help :wink: :!: With out thinking too deeply I said no thanks :o .I then rolled the car out of the way and five minutes later was peering under the dash for the fuel pump fuse when sheappeared again having driven around the block and asked if I was sure I did not need some help :oops: :!: Now she certainly did not look like a mechanic :lol: so I kindly declined her offer :roll: I dont remember young ladies being so helpfull when I used to drive the Imp regularly twenty years ago, times have changed but the Imp is still good fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Sunbeam Sport OGP933P

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Bet she was from the Basque Country...they are attracted to the colour orange but I don't know why. :lol:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
willsrings

Post by willsrings »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Bet she was from the Basque Country...they are attracted to the colour orange but I don't know why. :lol:
Of course :lol:
willsrings

Post by willsrings »

Now MOT`d and ready for the school run 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HARTWELL MK1
Club Member: No
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

willsrings wrote:Now MOT`d and ready for the school run 8)
Not with 2 kids and the roll cage diagonal.!!!
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Re: Sunbeam Sport OGP933P School run!

Post by moose »

hot starting problem could be due to the fuel pipe and filter on top of the engine as in top photo try moving it and take presssure reading with a gauge if the pressure is to high get a regulator. do you have a front mounted rad and is the fuel pipe near the rad pipe or have you no ducting to get the heat out from the front rad if the front rad is not ducted then this heats the fuel tank and causes the fuel to heat causing weak running problems and other issues.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ I think mine suffered from this last year. I have a front rad and no ducting. I did wonder at the time... :roll:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
willsrings

Post by willsrings »

I think it probably suffers from all of those problems. The front rad relies on hot air exiting via holes in the spare wheel well with no other ducting. In rally guise it had a vented bonnet now removed for a more original look, so with front mounted electric pump just in front of the master cylinders there is probably some heating effect which needs to be addressed.
I have now fitted a fuel pressure regulator in the space between the battery and rear wheel arch which has improved the running greatly and this has meant removing the filter pictured on top of cambox so that issue is resolved. Thanks
willsrings

Post by willsrings »

A typical National day pic :lol: Changing the Weber 28/36 for a more reliable Solex!Even a new Solex from Imp club spares was faulty; it leaked from a split link pipe.(This was replaced foc of course)
Havent had time since to resolve carb problems.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

willsrings wrote:A typical National day pic :lol: Changing the Weber 28/36 for a more reliable Solex!Even a new Solex from Imp club spares was faulty; it leaked from a split link pipe.(This was replaced foc of course)
Havent had time since to resolve carb problems.
If one may be so bold as to suggest a foray into the wonderful world of a brace of Skinners Union carburettors :wink:

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

moose wrote:hot starting problem could be due to the fuel pipe and filter on top of the engine as in top photo try moving it and take presssure reading with a gauge if the pressure is to high get a regulator. do you have a front mounted rad and is the fuel pipe near the rad pipe or have you no ducting to get the heat out from the front rad if the front rad is not ducted then this heats the fuel tank and causes the fuel to heat causing weak running problems and other issues.
I have a front rad with the hot air just venting out through the bottom of the spare wheel well that I cut off and a small slot at back of bonnent (Some say this is a high pressure area ie air more likely to go into space than out) Any way never had any problems with hot starting, fuel vapourisation on solex and now strombergs. Runs standard mechanical fuel pump and also has no heat sheild between carbs and exhaust. Don't beleive you will ever heat up the petrol in the tank with a front rad to cause a problem by its self.
willsrings

Re: Sunbeam Sport OGP933P Bridgewater pic

Post by willsrings »

Thanks Peter, I will investigaate further.