Hillman scorpion front grills?

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

ben
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: imp deluxe

Hillman scorpion front grills?

Post by ben »

Hi all some of you may havr read about my new project "Hillman imp Scorpion", this was a car that was going to be a stable mate to the Avenger tiger that Rootes / Chrysler shelved it never made the production line but all the drawings and develpment was done. I first saw it in an Impressions artical in 2006? and took an instant like for it and thought if I ever have an opurtunity to make it live I would do just that. 8) 8)

well I have owned an Imp for five years and have modded it as best I can see images here http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy19 ... postupload sport engine, lowered and front disc Brakes. Some of you know and have seen it at gatherings.

Recently I got talking to a guy who was doing a disc brake converion to my imp deluxe and he showed me an Imp shell that he had sorted out and that he intended to make into a racer, he had got so far and said that he wouldnt get round to finishing it as he now had another project on the go. I asked hm if he wanted to sell it on and it turned into an oportunity that was to good to pass up. Car comes with a roll cage and front rad plumed in :D

Soooo begins the life of project imp scorpion, now I have never built an imp from scratch and I guess I will be needing all the help and advice I can possibly get from you guys.

The shell is being dropped off to me this weekend and obviously I am v v excited.

The car is without suspension and wheels and I will have to do that first, I intend to put it on lowered springs and adjustable dampers fully polly bushed, so i can get it rolling , the car is in primer but the question is should I get it fully sprayed inside and out straight away in sundance yellow or just do the inside so as not to scratch it and damage it during the rebuild?

Also I want to try and avoid doing things twice duruing the rebuild so in what order should I start the rebuild?

all help and advice gratefully needed as I will be a total nube to this.

I think this will be a long project but would love to complete it for Imp 2011 :shock: bet it takes longer tho :roll: :oops:

will post images of shell for you to see on Sun or Mon.

Regards Ben. :lol:
Last edited by ben on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Two odd socks do not make a pair.
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Re: Hillman scorpion saloon

Post by moose »

Sounds like a good project can i be a boring old sod and say when it has arrived and the excitement has calmed down get a pen and pad and sit in the workshop with the car and write down how you want it to be in the end, then write a list of all the parts required and another list of all the parts you have in stock. This rather boring task helps to prevent it becoming an abandoned project when you get part way through and realise how much £ or you run out of steam due to having to carry out labour intensive jobs where there is no visual gain to anybody but you. This done get a friend from the club along to do something similiar and see what list they come up with then price it all and sort out a budget you should then have a start point with realistic goals to mark off as the project progresses. As for painting the shell if it is ready (check and double check then phone a friend before painting it may look nice but if you then find some welding to do you will make a mess) for paint get the lot painted inside and out and the work carefully i use helicopter tape on the roll cage where you will climb in and out also covered with pipe lagging taped in place, lots of old curtains and blankets etc to protect what you are working on, go carefully and you will be fine. Good luck with it and keep us all posted.
Look in the album for bodywork i have put a couple of pics in there of an 2010 subaru if you need more info or tips contact me direct.

regards moose
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

I agree with Mike - have it painted before reassembling anything but before having it painted, have the quality of the work checked by a third party... I'm not knocking the other guy but you don't want to be cutting into your shiny paint to rectify something later.

Good luck
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
ben

Post by ben »

Cheers guys, will definatley go and get a pad and pen and make a list of everything that needs to be done and parts to be bought that is good advice.

Seem to remeber a thread on here some years back about packs of nuts and bolts that could be bought for rebuilds on imps think it was a thread by Si Tricket. anyone remember where the packs were from?

Ok So who would like to give me a second opinion on this shell then? :D :lol: I suppose I should get in touch with my area centre and ask around for some help as well.

Ben.
impmann

Post by impmann »

Ben,

If you can't find anyone locally - I may be able to help. 8)
Tim Morgan
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

ben wrote:Ok So who would like to give me a second opinion on this shell then? :D :lol: I suppose I should get in touch with my area centre and ask around for some help as well.
I'm not that far away from you but am no expert on bodywork and especially paintwork, to be honest. Not yet, anyway. :wink:

Paul 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james »

I'll not be that far away for most of the summer, but again I'm not a bodywork expert.

I do know where most of the bits that rust are though.
ben

Post by ben »

well update time, shell now beig delivered on the 20th june..... but that is fine as it gives me time to compile a list of spares I need to purchase or scrounge. I know the car comes with fibre glass engine lid, bonnet, mark1 doors wish bones,trailing arms rollcage and a good solid rear crossmember every thing else I am going to have to source. the list of needed parts is going to be massive and costly, but I really want to do this build properly and try and do the Scorpion some justice so if that means that it takes two years and lots of £ well so be it. :D :D It has just taken me four years to competely re build a 3 bed victorian terrace house and there were times when I was almost driven to despair :? like the time I decided to knock off all of the pebble dash on the front of the house and re point it even though i had never pointed a wall in my life :roll: :lol: but got through it and learnt a new skill. 8) so I am well prepared for the long arduous hours of hard slog but it will be a new exciting challenge.

Ben.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Determination and a desire to have a go are all you need, IMHO. You will be fine. :wink:

Paul 8)
Paul Harrison
stuartrf
Car Model: singer chamois mk 2 singer chamois mk1
Location: swanley, high brooms, tonbridge, hildenbrough,hadlow

Post by stuartrf »

do you know what 2006 impressions its in?
edit is is in february 2006 (if you have a look at the cars for sale the top one is my very first imp :cry: )
Last edited by stuartrf on Fri May 28, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
child: 'why do you wear a full face helmet on your bike'
me: to protect my head, cause thats where the happy thoughts are made
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

I decided to knock off all of the pebble dash on the front of the house and re point it even though i had never pointed a wall in my life but got through it and learnt a new skill. so I am well prepared for the long arduous hours of hard slog but it will be a new exciting challenge.
If you managed to do that then a car build will be easy...and no chance of vertigo! Best of luck and post some piccies as and when.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
ben

question regarding Heston sevices imp related honest

Post by ben »

:lol: ok this realy is imp related so bare with me please,
Some one on here must no the answer to this, my poor bonce is fried from football/ pub related drinking and I cant work this out :oops: :cry: I am going to meet the guy who is bringing my shell up on an A frame at Heston services on Sunday and I cannot for the life of me find out if you can get from one side of the motoray to the other, or in other words can I come off travelling west bound from London and meet him in the south bound car park then travel back to london south bound with him ? :? i Phoned heston services for info and the number provided proved to be a Fax number :roll:

looking forward to getting the shell, making lists and starting work on it :D :lol:
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

Hi Ben,

Not legally! There is (was) a connection for the emergency services but if you get caught you're in the cack!

No need anyway, once you meet him in the WEST bound services car park (on the SOUTH side of the M/way) you just need to continue west on the M4 about 1 mile to the Hayes (A312) junction, come off, go round the roundabout and back onto the M4 EASTBOUND.

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ben

Post by ben »

Cheers Baz,
He is coming from Bristol and me from London sitll possible? am sure I will work it out once my Hangover has subside :wink:

Ben.
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

Hi Ben,

Why don't you both come off the M4 at Junc 3 and go south on the A312 for ½ mile (mind the speed cameras). Turn left at the first set of lights, and then right into the Queens Head on the corner of Cranford Lane. It's the Heathrow Centre meeting place.

There are at least two advantages of doing this...
The guy coming from Bristol won't then have to go another three miles to Chiswick to turn round, and you can have the hair of the dog if still needed and/or something to eat at sensible prices! 8)
Graham Anderson
ben

Post by ben »

Hi just found this link and now totaly understand what you mean

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=51.4896807&lo ... =0&m=s&v=9

Cheers guys, great help once again 8) :P

Ben.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Ben,

If you're meeting him then leading him back to E17 you need to do the U turn at the A312 junction first and come back on the Eastbound carriageway to Heston. That way when he pulls into Heston you'll be there waiting.
ben

Post by ben »

A very big thank you to Richard Sozanski for the images of the Scorpion/imp rally sport. I have added them to photo bucket so you can all see.
Last edited by ben on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ben

Post by ben »

Ok Finally got the shell today massive thanks to John holoway for bringing it up to me all the way from Bristol. car is in Garage and you can see images here
IMG]http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy19 ... -7aspx.jpg[/IMG]
next weekend I will start workng out what I will need to get it rolling. but first things first I need some Skates so I can get it in and out of the garage with ease, can anyone reccomend some they have used themselves?

Ben.
Last edited by ben on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCOTMCDOT

Post by SCOTMCDOT »

That looks ace. You are now in a similar position to me but with it done a bit better! its taken me 3 years of dawdling and procrastinating inbetween the hard work to get to this point.

If you dont mind me asking how much did you get that for? If you don't want to say, I wont mind (actually i probably don't want to know).

Looking forward to seeing progress on this.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Looks great , thought for a mo you were cloning my Singer :lol:

Formally known as " Noddy "
ben

Post by ben »

cheers Noddy, yeh it does look very much like your singer in that photo.

Ben.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Ben that looks great, brilliant idea reviving the scorpion project :D . I wanted to do a similar thing making a Nerus JC after getting the nerus manifold on my car but can't find enough info to be able to recreate anything tangible :( .

The scorpion doesn't seem to too difficult to recreate in terms of bodywork no flared arches etc. I can't find my copy of the impressions with the scorpion article, does it mention the proposed specification engine wise etc? Also what year was this first proposed as a model?

The wheels look a bit like compomotive 5 spoke or maybe revolution 5 spokes, do you know the ones actually used in the photos?

I have a contact for someone who does vinyl graphics making replica decal sets for mountain bikes. Good quality and not expensive. Let me know if you need help getting the scorpion decals made.

I'll be watching this with interest. 8)
Dave.
"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
ben

Post by ben »

Cheers Dave,

Engine size as of yet unknown, year of production ont know,dont know the wheels either. The artical was in an impressions Feb 06 but also a 03 issue too. I have found where all of the info for the Scorpion is held at the Rootes archive and am just waiting to hear back from them about getting copies of all the files they have. I agree the build should be fairly easy as it is fairly standard body shape wise. Decal should be fairly easy to produce not sure a bout the lettering "Scorpion" badge thoughas it looks like it is in relief. The Scorpion motiff looks almost exactly the same as the Abarth one :shock: maybe they just ripped it off and were going to change the style and shape if it went into production.

Do you think you could have a go at making the black and white images of the scorpion I have put in photo bucket into a colour version using your fantastic skills with photoshop? I have seen things you have done before and you seem to have a flare for it :D

Regards Ben.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

ben wrote:I need some Skates so I can get it in and out of the garage with ease, can anyone reccomend some they have used themselves?
Ben, thinking outside the box here but why not buy some h/d casters and fit them to the pallets you've got the car on? Hey presto, Cheap skates!
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

:wink:

- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

ben

Post by ben »

Dave they are Fantastic :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) nice one I feel like I am one step nearer to finishing it by just seeing it in colour. Both colours of yellow and orange look the bomb. They never stated wether it would be orange/red like the Avenger tigers other colour way but it is a possibilitie. Damn I am going to have to make two now :lol:

Catsters on pallets :idea: what a great idea `baz will have a look around today.

Ben.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Your Welcome :D .

I noticed though that the stripe detail is different on the two B&W pics. According to the drawing they decided on the other design of a broader black stripe filling the entire swage line with 2 thinner car coloured cut out strips running doen the centre of this. No time to do it now but I will do one with the alternative stripe later on. I think I like the one above though as it's the same layout as the tiger ie, tivk line in the centre bordered by a thinner line either side:

impmann

Post by impmann »

Ben,

I'm fairly sure that the wheels are standard steels with a silver rim and a black centre plus a set of centre caps.
Tim Morgan
ben

Post by ben »

I think you may be right Tim wich is a shame because they look so good with the 5 spoke revolutions 8) what wheels are on the line drawing of the Scorpion i have put in photo bucket here? http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy199/issigonis1

Also what wheels did the 998 rallye spec come with? I dont think I will put the standard steelies on think they look a bit pants, what do you guys think?

Ben.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Black steelies with painted silver rims could look nice. I quite like steel wheels on Imps. Exhibit A...

Seriously, though, do whatever your heart tells you. If you want Revos, fit 'em and enjoy it! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ben

Post by ben »

Actualy yours does look good on those steel rims painted white 8) I plan for the Scorpion to wear steelies but only until the project comes closer to the end or until the front disc break conversion is fitted.

Jobs for Saturday include cleaning up the rear cross member that the car came with it is very rusty but appears solid also sorting out the trailing arms they also have a fair aount of surface rust. I will then remove the knakered rubber bushes and replace with poly bushes. what does everybody paint freshly cleaned parts with? will smootherite do the job?

Also on the look out for a set of front wishbones so if anyone has got a decent set they want to part with/sell me with please get in touch.

will update on Saturday with piccies.

Ben
Last edited by ben on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I painted my suspension with No. 1 Rust Beater, then Smoothrite. The "primer" really seems to boost the adhesion of the Smoothrite.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ben

Post by ben »

Looks like I am going to have to buy shares in Hammerite, has anyone used their gel rust remover or Kurust? is it any good? I see it all seems to be available at Halfords.

Ben.
impmann

Post by impmann »

Ben,

Two words - Bilt Hamber.

Google is your friend. 8)
Tim Morgan
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

What Tim said ^^^^^

Alternatively you could get them blasted and powder-coated.

Just noticed that the two black and white photos show the bumpers in black (one pic has no front bumper at all).
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Whilst I used Finnigan's products in the past, it must be said that the Bilt Hamber products, in my more recent experience, are in a different league. :D

(I do not have shares in either company, by the way. :wink: )

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
impmann

Post by impmann »

Bumpers look like satin black powder coat to me... sweet! 8)
Tim Morgan
ben

Post by ben »

yep I also noticed those at the weekend when I got the images through, totaly agree Tim they are going to be Uber cool in satin black 8) 8) 8) I had a really good look at images of the Avenger tiger and it sports split bumpers I always thought they looked the bomb as well.

I cannot wait to get this car to a stage where it starts to resemble the images Dave did photo shopped.

Bilt Hamber have unloaded my wallet today so hoefuly I should be able to immerse that manky rear cross member in a bath of rejuvinating Hydrate C this weekend.

Ben

Return to “Readers Cars”