Happy Days

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Happy Days

Post by bks974c »

With Imp Ecosse coming up fast I need to get one of the cars ready and as the Clan needed the least work it was chosen.

I bought the Green Clan last Sept because I prefered the look over the original Clan I had bought a few months earlier,
it also had the added benefit of a 998 with big valve head R17 and twin 40's and a helical close ratio box and had only done
3000 miles since being finished and registered in 1993. :D :D

When I got the car I knew there was an issue with overheating which turned out was simply a chocked radiator. The other issues
that I needed to sort was the lack of a heater, sort out the carbs and remount the seat.

The car was not much fun to drive due to the poor tractabilty particularly the bogging down and stalling when driving of and hence the reason it
had lain un touched since sorting the radiator apart from twice to give it a run.

The car came with a complete heating system from a Mk1 Fiesta as the dash also comes from this vehicle. However this was too large
to fit so ordered http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/43kw-car-hea ... 4489-p.asp along with some ducting etc. Very compact unit. :)

Next turned to the seats -as they were bolted directly to the unstrengthen floor this needed changing. The floor seems thicker than an
original Clan but still not strong enough. My solution was 2 50mm x 3mm flat bars bolted to the inner sill and transmission tunnel and the
floor and then fibre classed in. Very much stiffer.

Then the fun part :evil: sort the webers. The original jettings seemed rather rich 50 accelerator pump jets, 138 Main etc, large idle jets hence the reason
for the bogging down. Rejetted and instantly drivability was much improved but idle poor played around a bit, rebalanced them, sorted at problem with the linkage and it idles at 500 while warming up. :D :D :D

Test drive 1. Half way through seems to lack power needs lots of throttle so stop to check it, modified pedal linkage had seperated where it had been joined and welded. :cry: Only 3 tools with me and joys they were what I needed :lol: Drove home operating the accelerator by hand.
Linkage welded up properly now.

Test drive 2 The car is a joy, beautiful clean pick up, loads of power, also seems very torquey too but that maybe a result of the close ratio since I'm
use to standard ratios. Its frightenly quick and some what tail happy in the wet.

HAPPY DAYS

Scott
Last edited by bks974c on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Happy Days

Post by ImpManiac »

Great story and the car sounds awesome, Scott! It will be very interesting to follow how it develops with time. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

bks974c wrote: Its frightenly quick and some what tail happy in the wet.
Sounds perfect! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Fifeimpman
Car Model: 1964 Hillman Imp De Luxe

Post by Fifeimpman »

Well done Scott, see you Friday at Imp Ecosse.
Alan
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Did someone mention Happy Days? :lol: :lol:
I'll get my coat....Nice story though, 3 Imp and Imp based cars on the drive is cool. (I wonder what the neighbours say)
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Imp.sport you missed the girls cars in the parking bays and the Octavia around the corner.

The neighbours have been fine so far but probably best that I got rid of the red Clan :lol:

Can you have too many imps :? probably not.

Scott
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

excellent story. how do you manage 4 imps and a clan
im strugling with 1 stiletto
keep up the good work
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

bks974c wrote:
Can you have too many imps :? probably not.

Scott
Just don't go down the line of "Jumping a Shark" in an Imp :lol:

(Tis just a subtle but meaningful joke..... Don't find a shark to jump with an Imp)
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

The issue is not having 4 imps and a clan anyone can do that.

Its keeping them on the road and I'm afraid I've failed. Everything get dropped to keep the girls cars on the road as they are daily drivers
Amy's Chamois is doing about 15,000 miles a year and needs frequent attention and really need taken of the road for a full restoration.

The white rally car will be finished soon..........................................so only one then on sorn.

Its a lot easier now the kids are all grown up and not working helps. :D

Scott

Return to “Readers Cars”