Pele - 1976 Imp Basic

impmann
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Pele - 1976 Imp Basic

Post by impmann »

Some of you may be aware that I have a very shiny shell sat in my garage that I’m building up following some extensive work by Jeff Day at ImpTechnic. Previously there had been a thread on here about it – but I have had the moderators pull it. The reason being that I had intended to put this car back on the road using the reg number from my old Hartwell Clubman (the shell of which is pretty terminal) – but this car is actually my old faithful Imp Pele in reality and I felt that this was not only illegal but also I had kept Pele for longer than any other single Imp out of the 150+ that I have owned, and I had more good memories tied up in that car than any other.

So I made a very difficult decision to put this right before I had *actually* broken any laws and also so that I didn’t have to lie to anyone, as I am the worlds’ worst liar! Honesty is always the best policy in my book, even if by doing so you make yourself look a bit of a fool.

Ladies and gentlemen it is my great pleasure to re-introduce my beloved 1976 Hillman Imp Basic… Pele, or PLE 537R as she is better known.

As she sits now:

I acquired this car back in 2002 as a freebie. I was working for Classics Monthly at the time and received a call from a reader saying he had an Imp that he needed to get rid of in a hurry. He said it used to run well, but had been sat at the Power Station that he worked at for many years – his boss had given him an ultimatum to get shot of the car or he’s lose his job. I had visions of a rotten Imp sat in the corner of a deserted car park, covered in leaves, empty coke cans and moss, but reasoned that it might yield a good L4 engine so would be worth having a look at.

When I eventually got to see the car it turned out it had been stored inside the buildings, within a Faraday’s cage in about the driest conditions you could store a car in! Whilst she wasn't perfect, she was in really good order and once the dust and grime was cleaned away, the paint looked pretty good. Thanks to Graham and Eleanor Miller, the Imp was trailered back to my house and assessed still further. I was told in no uncertain terms by my then-girlfriend (now wife) Vickie that I was not to sell the car, nor break it for spares.

Over the next few months I played around with it and got it MOT'd - and gave the car as a Christmas prezzie to Vickie to replace her knackered-out Imp. And so Vickie started using Pele everyday for about 18months. During that time it featured in Classics Magazine for various tests, driver's diaires pages etc - some of which still survive on the web... like this one:

http://www.cleanburn.co.uk/pb_reviews_3.htm

And then disaster struck - a pipe chafed through inside the engine bay and Vick boiled the knackers off the engine on her way to work. The temp gauge malfunctioned (stuck) and the first she knew about the engine's misfortune was when the car slowed down, as she hydraulic'd the engine! :shock: Hey ho. Sadly the original engine suffered badly in the incident and both the block and head warped. So Pel was sidelined whilst another engine could be found - because we were busy restoring Skye ahead of the trip to Budapest.

Fate then had a hand in the next chapter of adventure for Pele... I contracted Pneumonia just ahead of the trip and left Vick to try to finish assembling Skye from a bare shell without my input. My involvment mainly consisted of me sitting in a deck chair with a thick duvet around me pointing at the next bit to assemble and getting frustrated because of my lack of ability to help. With less than a month to the beginning of the trip, it was clear that Skye was not going to be finished in time - so we hurriedly shoved a borrowed Sport engine (thanks, Jeff) into the back of Pele, threw on some new wheels and tyres, replaced the stereo, fixed the temperature gauge... and drove to Budapest and back.

When we got back, Skye became the light of Vick's eye (aside from me, of course) and so Pele became mine. I used her everyday for ages - and sadly the rust started to become an issue. I scraped her through her last MOT courtesy of some Gaffa tape on the wheelarches and a very kind MOT tester - to be honest the back end of her driver's sill was not really fit for the road but I had another year out of her.

So around this time last year I had another poke around her and decided that I either had to spend a lot of money on her, or ditch her and find another car. But due to our 'history' I just couldn't bear to part with her, nor could I bring myself to cut her up.

So enter Jeff Day and his amazing panelwork skills.... and she was transformed into the beauty I now have in my garage.

From this:

To this:

I'm not sure if Pel will be at Impulse yet - thats rather dependant on Jeff's workload currently (yep, I don't have the bonnet etc yet) but I'm still hopeful.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Pele - 1976 Imp Basic - Pic Heavy 56k FAIL

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice one, Tim! :D Jeff has done an amazing job, as always! Pele has a great story and it would not be right for anyone else to be her owner. I hope the car makes it to Impulse '09, with you at the wheel. And Vickie as passenger, of course! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Much yumminess and great history , my one regret Imping wise was scrapping my ex girlfriends car PJT 334R in a lovely shade of lavender , Annie still loves that colour and that car :oops:
Formally known as " Noddy "
impmann

Post by impmann »

Progress on Pel has been.... somewhat Glacial for many reasons. However, she is now beginning to resemble a car again.

It would have been great to have had her finished by Impulse, but that was not to be. However, I am fully intending to drive her to Wicked Welsh. Sadly the frustration of currently not being able to work on her thanks to my back injury is getting to me a little, as 99% of the jobs needed to finish her involve me being either able to bend into weird shapes (such as putting the driver's door window mechanism back together) or lunking heavy objects (rebuilding and then re-installing her engine).

To cheer myself up, I've got a couple of little jobs I can do in the meantime. I recently picked up a nice set of Midland Metallic alloys, which need a good polish and repaint before the tyres can be fitted.

And I finally managed to track down a set of Mk3 Chammy/late Sport door caps at Impulse to match the dashboard, which need a good clean before I can fit them. Cue jokes about men can't help acting on Impulse...

I've ordered a new nylon front to back fuel line, but Vick is insisting that I don't fit it... something to do with the fact that the last time I fitted one was to Skye, in so doing I screwed up my back and was out of commission for three weeks!

Ho hum 8)
Tim Morgan
impmann

Post by impmann »

Pel took a huge step foward this weekend...

She now has an engine again. Not the engine she should have but it'll do to get her back on the road and to take us on holiday to Cornwall next month.

Now just to complete the plumbing and its ready to fire up.
Tim Morgan
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Fingers crossed mate!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
impmann

Post by impmann »

Today has been a momentous day. It was 2 years ago yesterday that Pele's last MOT ran out - time flies! So as the weather was being kind to us, I have spent the whole day out in the garage working on Pele - the first time I have been able to do so since around July last year due to the back injury that knocked me out for most of last year. As a result, things have moved forwards... massively.

Firstly, inspired by Don's pictures of his green Mk1 I dug out the rims I bought from Andy Greenshields. I had been in two minds about using them but now they are on the debating is over... they look ace! And its so nice to have alloys that don't have to use soppy sleeve nuts! See for yourselves - note the front suspension had just come down off the jack, and so her nose is a little more skywards than normal!!

So I then turned my attention to the fuel line once more. I had replaced it with a nylon line and tried to remake the tank union with a copper olive. This had been less than successful - the one that I ended up may have sealed ok but it dug into the nylon too much and was slightly wonky... in short I wasn't happy with it. So I remade the end once more, but this time using a brass olive bought from ebay. This worked 10000% better - you still need to put a 'former' inside the pipe to stop it collapsing (I used a pin punch) but the resulting olive is perfect. I'm well chuffed.

So I then started preparing the engine for first fire up - coolant, cables etc. Then with some go-juice sloshed into the tank, we were rewarded by the thrum of the Sport engine bursting into life. The cooling system was then bled, the clutch was then bled and a first bleed of the brakes. For the first time since October 2008, Pele moved under her own power... now that was a moment.

I've checked my work on the electrics too - as the car was stripped to a bare shell, all the wiring has been out. It all seems to work OK - I got the wiper wiring back to front but that was soon fixed and so thats all good to go.

I've also fitted my brand new sport rear bumper - I bought this at the Blenheim National (2000) and have had it squirrelled away ever since. Annoyingly, I couldn't find the numberplate lamps that I *know* I have somewhere, so currently I'm sans lights on the back. I've still got a lot of cleaning to do on the bumper - the factory covering of muslin and some kind of adhesive is a pain in the **se to get off. Its half done - I'll finish it during the evenings this week.

I've also swapped out the dial pack to the car's original ones - I've replaced the dash with a late Imp Sport unit (fake wood... hmmm, feel the quality), and had planned to use the dials I got with it... but they looked a bit poorly, and it dawned on me that I have a lot of the car's history so it would be nice for the mileage to be right.

The end is now in sight - there's some last minute stuff to do (not least of which is to re-hang the doors properly) and then she's off for an MOT. Just in the nick of time... as we have another Imp arriving shortly!! :lol:
Tim Morgan
bazzateer

Re: Pele - 1976 Imp Basic - Nearly Finished

Post by bazzateer »

Excellant work Tim (I'm sure Vicky had something to do with it as well :wink: )

Looks like it'll be ready in time for Drive it Day!

Another Imp coming? Tell us more...... :D
impmann

Post by impmann »

25th April? Right... thats the target, then. 8)

New Imp - all will be revealed once it is safely home. 8)
Tim Morgan
dinglem
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1970 Sunbeam Stiletto, 1969 Hillman Imp Van

Post by dinglem »

Pele is looking beautiful Tim, and a great story/bit of history to go along with it!!

I'll look forwards to seeing that one :D

Martin.
68 Stiletto WAS 998
69 ImpWerks Van RVP 530G Carter 1304cc
70 Stiletto FDH 44H
83 UltraBurner
83 Skyway
84 SuperTUFF
00 Lotus Elise Sport160
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Looking spot on there Tim , Another Imp :shock: , what you bought now then , how come you have three air vents over the rear window , thought they didnt do them that late , Jeff fitted them in for you :)
impmann

Post by impmann »

Yes, the vents were fitted by the highly talented Mr Day.

I'll start another thread on the new car... soon. 8)
Tim Morgan
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

impmann wrote:Yes, the vents were fitted by the highly talented Mr Day.
Wise move , stops the roof disolving :lol:
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Very 8) I particularly like your choice of colour.
Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Looks really nice, Tim. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

nice work tim
looks great
its not lincoln green metalic by any chance :wink:
only its your favourite colour right :D :D :lol:
keep up the good work
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
impmann

Post by impmann »

Nope, its Aquarius Metallic. Its the colour I would have chosen had I walked into a Chrysler dealer in the 1970s and ordered an Imp. 8)
Tim Morgan
chris d

Post by chris d »

nice one :D
at least i got the metalic bit right :lol:
chris d
thowman

Post by thowman »

Those wheels look nice :-). Ex LNK, don't you know!!!
gnatman
Car Model: Hillman Imp De Luxe

Post by gnatman »

The car looks amazing ! Thats a really great colour too. Well done
1965 Imp Deluxe
Don Williams (of Wallasey)
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Wow it was worth the wait mate that really is stunning,can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
belgimper_jac
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac »

Excellent work :o ,beautiful colour :) ,now I know the complete story of the "Blue IMP"(Budapest 04)

Jacques
skamanfrank
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Post by skamanfrank »

bl***y hell Tim,

Awesome progress, can't wait to see it in the flesh mate. Must be extremely proud!
Cheers
Frank
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

PAA1964 wrote:verry tasty! What the front seats out of btw?
Il answer for Tim as I think i recognise them , look like XR2 or XR3 seatsto me , Tim I suspect will now shoot me down :lol:
impmann

Post by impmann »

Yep, they are XR3i seats - liberated from a car dumped outside Vick's workplace just before the council towed it away to be crushed. :lol: The chap with the recovery truck was amazed when Vick extracted a socket set from her handbag and proceeded to unbolt the seats :lol: :lol:
Tim Morgan
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ :lol: That's great! :lol:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Nice!
impmann wrote:... Vick extracted a socket set from her handbag and proceeded to unbolt the seats :lol: :lol:
I'm planning my summers holiday, but haven't decided where to go so - where did you meet Vick? :lol:
impmann

Post by impmann »

I think she is a one-off. She stalked me on the internet before I relented in going out for a drink...(honestly) :lol:
Tim Morgan
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

impmann wrote:I think she is a one-off.
:( Was afraid you should say that. :wink:
impmann

Post by impmann »

Today, another leap forwards - I actually drove my Imp for the first time in 2 years. Sadly the distance wasn't exactly vast - to the end of the driveway and to turn her round. However, she now is sat on the driveway not sat in the garage which has meant I can do a lot of the silly jobs that are impossible in a titchy garage like mine - like fitting the door caps!!

Have some pics...

Final shot - three Imps, one small house and one even smaller garage... chez Morgan 8)

Tim Morgan
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Looking really good Tim , Glad Peles nearly ready :)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

VERY nice, Tim. Getting there now. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Looking good Tim, which one will we see at Wicked Welsh this Year??
Loving Imps since 1963!!
kilty

Post by kilty »

Tim,
I notice Pele had triple stick-on stripes in your early foties, are you having some more added as a nod to it`s former self, or will you stay with the `nude` look?

Drew
impmann

Post by impmann »

Hi Drew,

I have to be honest, I hated the stripes!! So no, they won't be going back on. She didn't have them from new, as they were over the top of the 1st respray. 8)
Tim Morgan
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Looking very nice, SKYE and PELE at Imp 2010and WWW then?
impmann

Post by impmann »

Skye and Pele *will* be at National.

May only take one to WWW, though... and that will be an argument!! :lol:
Tim Morgan
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

impmann wrote:Skye and Pele *will* be at National.

May only take one to WWW, though... and that will be an argument!! :lol:
Cool! Save it until National, you can be the cabaret! ;)
Kinger
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Kinger »

nice ...love that colour..really suits the car
Extinct is forever...keep it on the road
chris d

Post by chris d »

well done tim
with a bad back as well
hats of to you sir
chris d
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Nice job tim car is a credit to you

enjoy it now after all the hard work

col
impmann

Post by impmann »

Well, she's booked in for an MOT on Tuesday... hopefully I'll be able to enjoy driving her again by this time next week. 8)
Tim Morgan
Basildon310
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by Basildon310 »

The car is looking lovely Tim. See you at the National in it then! 8)

Ben
Prepare to be shocked by the Slamois!

1967 Singer Chamois Coupe F1 ;-), 1968 Bond 875 Ranger Van
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

The car looks brilliant, Tim. :wink: My fingers will be crossed for the MOT.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Fingers crossed Tim!

Just in case it does fail (hope not!) it will only be something minor and quick/easy to put right.
thowman

Post by thowman »

Good luck tim. I will hopefully have an MOT on the van next week too - though I think that your car is more likely to pass than mine! :D
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Post by celyn »

Wow, that is one beeyootiful car! I love the colour, and I love what you've done to her.

Of course, I'm not the slightest bit envious of your (and Vickie's) prowess with car-fettling, oh no, not at all. No really, I'm honestly not.

Much. :mrgreen:
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
impmann

Post by impmann »

Grumble, grumble, grumble poxy damn kingpins <sniff>, failed MOT, I woz robbed, poxy damn kingpins...grumble, grumble, grumble
Tim Morgan
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

impmann wrote:Grumble, grumble, grumble poxy damn kingpins <sniff>, failed MOT, I woz robbed, poxy damn kingpins...grumble, grumble, grumble
Shame , didnt you pump em full of grease just before as I do to take up the play , or was it up and down play
kilty

Post by kilty »

What a bummer man. Defo both sides?