PES 989J... "The Pest" ....Knockhill prep

colimp66
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

PES 989J... "The Pest" ....Knockhill prep

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
thought I better show you all my new project that I picked up yesterday from sunny Glasgow & brought back over to the sunnier East side of the country.. My J reg Imp deluxe....
Just bought lhs.JPG
Just bought rhs.JPG
Pretty chuffed with it although there is a good bit of work to do to it,
The good thing is that the sills & floor are solid as is the front end. The rear however needs the two lower rear quarter panels & a bit of fancy metalwork done to the base of the rear window. Fortunately Dougie who I bought the car from gave me two panels that I can use to repair this area with & the gentleman that he is threw in a rear crossmember aswell seeing as the original was like a Tetley tea bag at bits.
The motor turns over but I've not had it fired up .....Yet!! :)

The only thing that I have done so far with it is remove half of the smelly interior & remove the bumpers which like the interior won't be going back in/on it...

Oh yeh,& I trial fitted my 7x13 M***lites that WILL be going onto it... :D ....eventually..
Picture085 (1).jpg
I'll keep you posted of progress..

Cheers.
Col
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild

Post by ImpManiac »

Early days for the alloys yet! :wink:

Welcome to the forum! You certainly have your work cut out with that Imp but it will be soooo worth it! :P What plans have you for the car, apart from restoring her? Road? Competition? Both? Any modifications planned? Also how much car restoration experience do you have? Will you be getting the bodywork or mechanicals done by anybody else? Just curious! :D

Nice project!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
the engine lid is from another car as the original was rotten thats why there are 2 numbers on it :D .

It will definately be modified IM. No bumpers & dropped into the weeds with suspension mods & disc brakes up front & sitting on those lovely rims(well once i've stripped & polished them). Already have half leather Recaros for the front seats stored once I get to that stage which will be some time away I guess. :cry:
Hoping for a fast road car that handles well aswell as looking the part.
As for the engine I'm in two minds to fettle the Imp motor or go for an engine/gearbox transplant from something else but the budget will dicatate that no doubt.

I'll be doing most of the bodywork & mechanicals myself with a bit of help from a few mates no doubt with machining stuff etc.. There's a MIG welder in my garage, compressor along with the usual toolbox & grinders that I have used on mainly motorbikes in the past but I have restored a MG Midget many moons ago which was modified (lowered, 1380cc motor rollbar, no bumpers.....) in a similar way to what I have planned for the Imp. I have photos of that if anyone is interested???

Looking forward to doing the Imp & getting it back on the road as you don't see to many of them up this way. I had to explain to my neighbour earlier what it was???????

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

A photo of what needs to be done to the rear window.
Photo-0051.jpg
I have a two rear panels cut out of another imp that I can use to repair this area hopefully back to what it should be like. The inside looks like it has been spared from the rust of what i can see at the moment. I will be removing the rest of the interior tonight to get a better idea of how bad it is.

Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Got around to stripping the interior out of the car tonight & ripped out the rotten headlining. The carpets were all a bit smelly so they are binned & also took the glass out & they are now in the attic for safe keeping.

Found a couple of small holes in the floor pan so not as solid as I first thought.. bummer. Overall though still solid enough, seen alot worse.
See what you think......
Picture056.jpg
Picture059.jpg

A few of the engine bay & the dodgy lower rear quarter panel..
Picture061.jpg
Picture064.jpg
I found this under the arch cover so I think I may use it for a reversing light once as a finishing touch..

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers guys.
Had a wee tinker with it tonight after work & after stripping the carb, cleaned the points & plugs "The Pest" fired up :D & sounded as sweet as a nut.It's only got 31,500 miles on the clock. No rumbles or rattles going on & revved easily(I didn't rev it too hard I may add).
The clutch is seized as expected as it wouldn't go into gear.

Hoping to have the engine/gearbox out of it now by the beginning of the week so I can start to remove all the suspension/brakes etc. & make up a chassis roller with engine stands as Iv'e seen done so I can get stuck into the bodywork.

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
done a wee bit more to it today. More boring photos for you guys & probably the things that you have all seen many times before no doubt.
Well I removed the fuel tank so I can see what the body is like underneath that & to my surprise it is solid :D. Master cylinders looked a bit on the furry alloy side but other than that all in good shape.
Picture078.jpg
Picture079.jpg
Didn't stop me from cutting 2 holes into the inner wings so I could get at the suspension lock nuts to remove the springs. I wanted to do this so I could cut the springs down by 2" to see how it would sit. Think that makes them about the same length as normal Montes???
Don't worry I won't be leaving them in there I will be buying the proper springs :)

The front photo of the car shows it with the cut springs giving around 6 1/2" ground clearance... Is this normal with Montes?? I have some 185/60's going on my alloys tomorrow so going to see how they look once thats done. I know it' s all a bit previous for that kind of thing but it will let me have an idea what I'll be needing to do to bodywork etc..

IM.. I was thinking of splitting the gearbox/engine just for to have a look & a lightend flywheel had crossed my mind for it as well so if I was to fit one of them it would definately need split. Not sure about removing the head yet but would like to give it a wee bit more go if possible. Definatley a different exhaust & carb combination. Keep it simple..

Drew, yeh i'll be ready for the national no probs.... :lol: next year!!! :lol:

Thinking of keeping it the same colour or as near as I can... Anyone know of the correct colour code for this car. Sure the chassis plate has it as a H136/701
Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

I've put some 185/60s onto two of my M***lites now & fitted them to the car (one side)to see how it looks with the lower springs & see how much clearance there is at the front. Not lowered the rear yet..
Loweredpest.jpg
And from the front...
Picture088 (1).jpg
I'm thinking the fronts may need slightly wider arches to make it legal?????
Seems like the tyres rub on full lock right/left. After reading a few posts I assume this is normal.. Would it be wise to releave the inner wings to avoid this or leave as is.. The other chocie may well be to use either 6x13 wheels or go for 175/50x13 tyres I suppose....
Any thoughts would be appreciated from those with experience of this?????

Another question before I go and order repair panels for the bodywork.. Who supplies a reasonable quality panels at a reasonable price??? Is there anyone who offers discount to Imp club members??

Cheers..

Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers guys.
I think I will modify the inner arches where it rubs so it doesn't rub as it looks like its only rubbing by a fraction.. alot of rubbing going on there :oops: Oo'er!!

Super66- Do you have spacers on the rear so the wheels run in line with the fronts? Looks like mine haven't the same width of track. Front being wider. I know what your saying about the 6" on the front but I do like the look of the 7" all round :D

Going to start in the engine bay tonight & start removing all the bitties to get the engine out by end of the week hopefully... Can't imagine it being ready for the end of the year never mind the national. Don't think I'm moving fast enough with it for that Super66..

Baz- I've read most of the posts on fitting wider wheels & tyres & your combination seems to be the favoured way to go..

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Baz,
can you tell me please what width of spacers you used on the rear of your Imp?

Never managed to quite get the engine/gearbox out of the car tonight as the two gearbox mount bolts are rusted solid so it will be a job for tomorrow with the grinder I think..
Did manage to remove the radiator & crossmember however which was relatively easy. The radiator hoses I cut with a stanley knife seeing that I plan to fit a front radiator later.

Having the crossmemebr out allowed me to have a better look at the rusty rear quarters that will have to be replaced.

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Engine is oot!!! :D
Picture100.jpg
Chuffed now. After a bit of jiggling about I managed to get it out & onto an old supermarket thingy base with wheels on. I had to grind the heads of the rear gearbox mounts & unhook one of tthe handbrake cables which got caught on the gerabox itself somehow???
Sits a lot higher without the engine & gearbox in it now :lol: have to sort that out..

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
not had much time to get stuck into "The Pest" lately but have done a wee bit today which should hopefully allow me to remove the rest of the suspension & start on the welding in the next couple of weeks.

I did manage to remove the dash & the doors. Both not coming of easily I may add with a few seized bolts & screws which I can't imagine is unusual on a near forty year old car..
Picture108.jpg
As I said before I was thinking of buying some engine stands to make a "spit" so I can rotate the body within the confines of my single(read small) garage. Well I had a trip to Machine Mart where they were duly purchased & now I have it up on the stands ready for being rotated. The 50x30 box section was bought locally which was bolted to the body using the redundant bumper holes.
Picture113.jpg
The only real problem with mounting it onto the engine stands is gaining the height required. A lot of wood was scavenged to make the height up that my trolley jack couldn't muster :wink: Health & Safety bods would've had a field day is all I am going to say :lol:
All the odds & sods surrounding the Imp will be relocated this week to give me a bit more room. Should've done that before really I suppose :roll: :)
Cheers
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi Hugh,
thanks for the tip. I wanted to take the doors of to make it lighter so it wouldn't overwhelm the engine stands. I'm not planing on cutting the sills as they seem solid enough so I thought the body should be fine without the doors???
Can see where your coming from though, best to make sure nothing moves so I may well do this once I remove all the suspension & steering which was another reason to get it up in the air.

The left handside rear wishbone & suspension came of the body without too much trouble & I was pleasntly surprised so hoping that will be the same for the rest of the suspension. The rear crossmember looks a bit corroded on the left side though at the end. Once I get it of I'll be able to gauge it better.
Picture117.jpg
I've started to take the front suspension of on the left hand side now to but looks like I will have to remove it as a complete unit...Is this the correct way to do it or should I be able to drop one side at a time???? I'll do a wee search on that..... :)

I split the gearbox/engine aswell today & found that the release bearing had disintegrated & most of it was lying in the bottom of the bellhousing. Not disaster by any means :| the worrying bit though is that I found one of the bellhousing mounts on the engine casing was cracked in half. Will need to see about having that welded or look for another block..
Picture115.jpg
Picture116.jpg
Col.
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james »

Put the car the right way up and lower the front suspension as a unit using a plank of wood and a jack (or two helpers). I did it single-handed with the car up on axle stands.

Watch yourself when undoing the upper damper mountings - they are under tension even at full droop. It's best to put a jack under the suspension arm and lift it up a bit, undo the top nuts and lower the arm gently using the jack before undoing the bottom end of the damper.

EDIT - sorry if there's a grandmother/eggs interface going on.
super66
Club Member: No
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by super66 »

Sorry for such a long reply.
No i'm not running spacers on the rear with the 7" wheels on, not too sure what the offset of the wheels are either sorry.
The front wheels seem to run in order with the rears. like i say, offsets can affect this.
I know what you mean though, 7" wheels all round would look ace, i guess it's arch work or keep the 6 and 7's.

Great work on the car, seem to be like what i have done with my car :D
Cheers
Noel
The resto continues...
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Baz,
thanks. good link that, they will do the trick just fine & think that will come in useful for some other stuff too. 8)

Impman, after writing about the broken stud i did think the others may do the job but wanted to hear some opinions, thanks I'll leave well alone & not bother with another motor unless I discover any other horrors :o

Super66, you could have hit the nail on the head with mentioning the offset, they did come of a M*** so that may have something to do with it. Spacers will be needed on the rear if I am to keep the fronts the same to give it the better look. Arches for the front will definately be required too I reckon. Been looking at all sorts of front wings that I may cut up to suit... Mk1 Metros look a possibility at mo & cheap :D

I won't get near the car until Thursday at the earliest to remove the front suspension bu tI wll let you al know how I get on..

Thanks.

Col.
super66
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by super66 »

Col
I had some 6" revolutions on my old car from a mini and seemed ok but it wasn't 7"s so won't really tell.
that's my car so you can see the wheels, fit ok to me. i've got 2 spare minilite's, exactly the same as one's on front. not sure if that would be an option for you?
The resto continues...
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi Alan,
the rear window repair i think is going to be the more challenging on this car. Luckily I have to rear panels that were cut out of other cars to make it look good(I hope) :) . Not getting as much done as I would like to be honest but slowly progressing. Read your post & sounds like you have a much better idea than I do about turning out a good Imp.. I'll get there though :wink: . I bought my M***lites form a bloke in Errol up your way.
Good luck with yours once you get started..

Super66, I like the look of your car & its the kind of stance & look I'm after with mine, nice one. Is it on Montes & is that a Hartwell spoiler??

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Been a bit on the slow side with "The Pest" this week unfortunately & feel like I haven't got much done.
I do have all the suspension of now aswell as the steering rack so really a bare shell with only the pedal box & master cylinder to be removed before I start removing paint & underseal... then onto the metal cutting & welding :? :D
Picture120.jpg
Picture123.jpg
I did pick up my Recaros the other day but they will be sitting around for quite some time before I need them :cry: They couldn't be let to go by me as I bought them for £40 with the runners/subframes. :D Came out of a Rover of some description that was used for bombing around a field by the farmers 15 year old son.
Picture119.jpg
They badly need a clean & a bit of leather care mind...

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
been a wee whilst since I've been on here & sorry for not keeping up the progress report on The Pest but there's not been a lot getting done on it lately.
The lower lower half of the bodywork has been paintstrippe dto allow me to assess how much filler there i sin the body & what repairs/bodges have been done previously.
Looks like it may have had arches at some point & definatley needs all four corners looked at which isn't a big surprise. Managed ot remove 3 bolts form the rear subframe/crossmember & the rest seem to be well seized in. The unbelievable bit is that it looks as if someone has welded the crossmember to the body at the nearside end??? Why is anybodies guess.

The reason for not getting on with is it that I've been pulled back into racing motorbikes & been busy sorting out a bike for a meeting I want to compete in September. Once thats out of the way I'll star on "The Pest " once again.

Priorities maybe all wrong here :oops:

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
been ages since I've been on here or looked at my Imp as I've been distracted by racing my motorbike. Glad to say thats now finished with until next year so I'm back into the Imp once again.
Renewed enthusiasm for it has hit me & I have been attacking the rear subframe/crossmember as I said earlier it was welded on at each end by a previous owner/bodger. Only 3 bolts were abl eto be unbolted & the rest had their heads ground of as they were seized solid. The subrame is now lying on the garage floor looking very sorry for itself & will need replacing. Before another is fitted though a bit of welding will be required as there are a few rot spots that were hidden by the subframe. That will be the next task cutting out all the rot & replacing with shiny new metal.
I'll post photos when I get a chance.

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

As I said earlier I have renewed enthusiasm for my Imp & just to prove I've been doing something to it, I have some photos of what I've done in the last few days. Not a huge amount but I feel like im getting into it now & it's better than watching X-Factor :?
Both sides of the car upto the roof have been paintstripped so I could see what is under the old paint as I thought a whole load of filler.. yippee!! Looks like it may have had arches in the past..
First thing was to weld up the trim holes down the left hand side hopefully to give it that smooooth look away down the line..

I had already cut the inner wings so I could box in the H bracket which has been discussed a few times on here so they don't get covered in road crud. Pleased enough with the end result & now need to do the rhs. Concentrating on the lefthand side of the car for the moment though.
Picture079.jpg
IMAG0004.jpg
I took a deep breath after doing the H bracket & decided I had to attack the floor with the grinder & cut out some of the rust there too. Footwell & the bottom of the inner arch are the victims of the grinder now.

Its a good job I bought a huge sheet of metal for the repairs. There I was thinking I'll never need that much??????
Cheers.
Col
Oh! Im picking up another rear subframe/crossmember tomorrow too so it wont be long before Im tackling the rear end of the car.. :D
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers guys.
Sunbeamsport#1 Im not sure if I'll manage it for Imp Ecosse 2010 but i will try my hardest depending on having the money to finish it how I want to of course & time is always an issue with me unfortunately.. Hoping to be there all the same :D
The colour of it eventually has given me lots of thought to be honest, the chassis plate says its 136 Tahiti Blue but not 100% sure if thats the colour that you see as on stripping the paint there is another blue underneath which is a a shade darker which I quite like & if that is Tahiti blue it may well get painted that colour. Thinking about having a can made up of it & do a wee test piece.
You seem to be cracking on with your car I see.. Nice one.

Impmaniac The renewed enthusiasm has been brought about with me not enjoying racing my motorbike as much as I thought I would once again. The money I have spent on that I could've bought a few panels or whatever for the Imp & I pass it when I go into my garage to mess around with the bikes & was feeling bad about starting something & not continuing with it to the end. Maybe you need some time out of things like that so you can get back into it with more vigour.. feels that way with me anyhow :D
Bummer without you having a garage that always makes things difficult.

I picked up another better rear crossmember/subframe for it today so that will help with some of the rear ends problems & I couldn't help myself after spotting the wishbones from it sitting on the floor, I bought them aswell. Well you have to when they have Sport inch drive shafts attached 8)
Forward planning for a more powerful motor I hope to put in it at some point.

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Not a huge amount done since I last posted but I do have a complete lhs flootwell now that is attached to the inner wing. :D
Chuffed with the result & now need to finish of tidying up the welds a bittie.
This shows it before I welded in the piece to attach it to the inner wing, my camera battery went flat after I took this photo .. Doh!! :oops:

Slowly working my way to the back then i'll flip it onto its other side for the rhs of the car.. feel like i'll get there but just dont know when :lol:
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

A bit more done tonight, well more cut out to see what I need to do would be a better description of what I've done earlier. :?
I bought the four corner repair panels from Malcolm last week so seeing I was at the front wing area I placed the section up to the front of the wing, took a deep breath & went for it with the cutting disc to see what lay benetah the thick filler & previous repair.
First a little bit ........................................... then a bit more
lhs quarter front.jpg
lhs front corner.jpg
Certainly been repaired before & not that well. The overlapping of the panels being a moisture trap for sure so going to cut that all out aswell & redo before putting on the repiar section.
Had a poke around the rear part of the same arch & it doesn't look much better really....

Now thinking I will have to buy an arch repair section & do the lot whilst I'm there as there is a lot of filler all around the arch & a gap between the sill & rear of the arch where they are meant to meet... Bottom of door post ain't that clever looking either... :(
lhs corner front cut out.jpg
In two minds whether to put fibreglass arches on it now as I have the 7x13 Minilites that I want to use & it may be a cheaper option all round...not sure if I like the look of wide arches .... :? Better check the rest before deciding... :?

Cheers.
Coll
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Another poke around tonight but at the rear lhs wheel arch this time where there is/was a lot of filler from a previous repair. Hitting with a sharp scraper & there was filler flying everywhere & some pretty thick pieces to much to my dismay... :cry: & once there was more of it removed it was apparent why..!!!
Picture150.jpg
A repair had been done right enough but laid over the top of the original panel then spot weled on.. :cry: Im not chuffed with that so its coming off.
The floor has a dodgy plate on it part of the way along the sill I've noticed once removing more of the underseal so that requires further investigation too.....I better get more sheet metal :)

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

HI, not really sure about having a Tiger by the tail John.. feels more like a right Donkey I have on my hands with this Imp.. :lol: I have to laugh or I'll start crying :cry: :lol:

More poking around reveals what i have dreaded .... I'll be asking Santa for some sills for my Christmas I reckon now after I have peeled back the poorly fitted ... no disguised cover sill making me think "it doesn't need sills"

Image Image
Not sure if this gives yo a better idea of what is there????? Its not good anyhow..

Aswell as that the rear part of the body that the subframe attaches too ain't that great either....

This is just the lefthand side & daren't flip the car over to look at the right handside.. I know it will be the same... :cry:

Its keeping me out the pub if nowt else... :lol: but may well drive me to drink if I have any change from buying metal for it ... :lol:

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hugh,
thanks I was hoping soemone was going to tell me that.... :) ..

I've put in a brace across the door opening for now & by the end of the week should have more bracing going across the car to stop it from twisting before I cut anything out.
This is the advice you gave me initially which I wouldn't think I would need to do.. :lol: How nieave was I???? It did look good there at first :oops:
I'm going to try & get along to one of the meetings in the New Year..

Should be good once it's finished whenever that may be ...?????

Cheers.
Col.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ What he said! Great thread. Very informative. I am soon to embark on this process with my car and I've only just got to grips with welding... :? But what better way to learn?! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
been at "The Pest" once again this weekend well today I have anyway so a bit more done & a bit more to put on the list of things to do.. :)

Impmaniac... thanks & good luck with your welding.. I'm learning pretty mcuh as I go here too, it aint that bad really once you get going. I read your post on your car last night.. that looks good as it is or has it deterioated some what since then????

Im still working on the front end of the car, the lhs wheel arch to be precise even though Im floating about the whole of the left side of it trying to suss out what all needs done..& how to attack it.. Anyway today I tidied up the wheel arch & the front corner. The wheel arch was full of filler & once out it looked reasonably ok apart from the return edge of it back to the inner wing.. rust & holy bits more so at the rear part where it meets the door post & sill.

I cut out the edge of the arch lip but left around about 5mm if that so I could weld a repair piece into it.. I did consider a new arch repair but at £68 or so I thought I could do it cheaper which may upset the purists out there but I aint got a huge budget for this car & I know its not goingto be standard or concours when it's finished. .I used a repair section for MK1 Fiesta all of £7.80's worth.. :lol: .. didn't even use the full arch, only the outer lip as I wanted to leave the contour of the original Imp wing.
Here's the end result...
Picture155.jpg
Once I got that on I welded in the new front corner I bought from Malcolm the other week once I had fettled it a bit to suit...It only needed slight trimming so it could sit under the sidelight & below the swage line of the original wing..

Still to reconnect the inner wing to the outer to make it a good solid arch. Should get that done tomorrow before the biggie of cutting out the sill.... :o

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Yeh, rebuilding a Fiesta may be cheaper but no way as cool as having a sorted Imp LGJ 8)

Used the last lot of my thin cutting discs to remove the cover sill that was put in "The Pest" from way back when to reveal a right sorry looking inner sill & as I thought a not so clever looking floor repair...
Picture136.jpg
Picture153.jpg
The only original part of the sill left wasn't in a great state either so that came out aswell .. :lol:
Picture160.jpg
This gave me the opportunity to have a better look at the front of the rear arch & where the crossmember will bolt up against once I repair this..
Picture161.jpg
I never got around to welding up the inner arch yet but will do tonight. Then it will be fabricating up a few repair sections for the inner sills along with a section to be put back into behind the front panel under the chassis leg.. Another poor previous repair... :?

Sills ordered today & should have them by the weekend :) sure I can keep busy until they arrive ... :lol:

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Scott,
The enthusiasm had taken over initally thinking all was well with it I guess... Looked good yeh, had me fooled..

Sills arrived this morning so the nozzle will be busy this weekend Jimmer hopefully with one of them fitted all going well. I might make it to Ecosse 2010 after all at this rate... :lol: .
How is your one coming along?..
Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Merry Christmas to everyone , hope you all had a good one..

Been busy with the cutting discs once again & the wire brush attachment cleaning up the the metal for some new stuff to be welded in.. The inner sill has been completely cut out as it was in a sorry state & not worth patching. No government filing cabinets found so I used the large (now smaller) sheet of steel I bought to make those, bending the 10mm edge in my vice so it can be welded to the heater channel..
Picture158.jpg
Picture159.jpg

Whilst I was at it I removed the previous dodgy repair from the floor area.. This was overlapped by about 2 or 3 inches on the original floor & was holding rust , dirt & no doubt water at some point.
I plan to repair this with in a neater way so that water etc won't get trapped in it.. Looking at the otherside Im guessing it has been done in exactly the same manner.. :evil:
With prepping this side for the new sill I thought I better dig out the lhs door from the shed so I could get the gaps decent. They weigh a bit?????? :? .. Once I removed the glass etc I decided to lighten it a bitty.. :D
beforeImage afterImage
Not a huge amount of weight saved I know.. :lol:

I'll get more stuff done tomorrow I'm hoping...

Chers.
Col..
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice work, Colin! Keep it up! :-)

IM 8-)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks IM.. :) Have you started welding your Imp yet???? Good luck with it.

Fitted the inner sill that I made up tonight & trial fitted the outer... Mmmmmm.. think I'll need to cut a bit about to get it to fit right.. & fit the door to.. May fit that later tonight if not tomorrow..
Picture170.jpg
Picture172.jpg
Do you normally have to modify the curvy bits at the door opening for fitting an outer sill?? Mine aren't in great nick anyhow so I'll have to do something with them to look correct..

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

I've had a wee look in the garage at the end of the sill & it does step down as you say Scott to allow the front wing to cover it. This peice I thought I could make but it doesn't look to bonny so I think Mr. Anderson will be getting a call after the New Year for the repair section.
Photo-0013.jpg
Photo-0010.jpg
Hugh Theres no turning back now I have to keep going :) , Thanks for the encouragement..never 100% sure if what I'm doing is correct or not..
Scott I might take you up on that offer of looking at an Imp of yours that will show me how it should be one evening if you dont mind.

Going to try & get through to the meeting in Dunfermline at the turn of the year if its on so may see you then..

Cheers.

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Noddy,
its just the way the photo is. They are the correct length. I've only got two pair of clamps holding it onto the door opening to give me an idea where I'm at with it before welding.. Still to prep a few bits on it before welding & refit the door.
Don't worry they will be welded to the inner arch :D

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Happy New Year to you all.

Seeing as I haven't been drinking over the New Year due to having a bit of a cold & now over it I was in the garage this morning trying to progress "The pest"..
Didn't get a huge amount done unfortunately as my mig wire ran out.... :o .Bummer!!! Get some later on in the week I suppose.
Instead of welding I decided to remove the ill fitting poor repair to the rear wing arch.
Here's what I found.
IMAG0005.jpg
Picture178.jpg
Still to clean it up a bit more, especially the inner wing to fully see where i'm at with it.. Looks like it may need the same as the front arch at least if not a repair section to sort it out..A possibility I could reuse the repair section that I removed form it.. saving me a bit of cash there... :)

Cheers
Col
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" a wee update.

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
been a wee whilst since I last posted what I've been doing on "The Pest" so apologies for that. Lost interest a bit there with one thing & another but back at it once again.. for a bit anyway..
Mangaed to fit the sill reasonbly easily but had issues with the door gaps which I have now sorted out much to my pleasure. Took a bit of jacking up here & there to make it right but got there in the end. Think the problem may arose with the two engine stands I'm using to turn the body as I never welded them together so I think it may have spread the body even though I braced the door opening before cutting anything out.... ???
I now have a problem with my welder so waiting on parts coming for that before anymore progress is made..

In the mean time I have a few photos of the inner arch, a repair section I made & spot welded to the rear of the door opening & some panels that I fashioned for the floor to sill area that I had to cut out...
Image Image
Image Image

Cheers
Col :)
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
a wee update on what I've been doing to the Imp lately.
After making the floor repair sections to the left hand side & welding in the inner/outer sills I have finally got them welded to the car. This now gives about 3/4 of the left floor pan back & attached to the sill. :D & badly needed strength back to the bodyshell too..

Not 100% finished with it there as I need to finish some of the welds of & tidy it all up then give it a coat of paint to keep the corrosion at bay. Should have that done by the weekend then I will start on the outer part of the front wing where it meets the door & sill before moving onto the rear wing arch & where the crossmember meets the body.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encourgement.
I have done a project like this before about 20 years ago with a MG Midget & it was in a similar state. Back then I was paying someone to do the welding, still took me 3 1/2 years to finish it completely.. I knew its a long haul & there is times that you lose interest.
Going to keep at this one though so bare with me as I have yet to do the other side :shock: & expect it to need similar treatment.. Should be good at it by then :lol:
The biggest worry is around the roofline & top of the door openings where the headlining was holding water & pretty much rotted the edge that holds the headlining rails..Part of it has gone on both sides & at the top of the screen... Should be a challenge to say the least..

Can't wait.... :)

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers IM.. :)

Well I ran out of welding wire so I though I would take some photos & show the wee bit of progress I've made today.

Managed to nearly finish of the rest of the floor leaving the part around the rear arch & crossmemebr to do . This is going to take a wee bit as there ain't a lot there at the moment.. I better buy 2 spools of wire for that I think :lol:

Image Image

Once I had that finished I made up a piece for the lower part of the door opening where it meets the sill & rear of the front wing..
ImageImageImage
Probably get wire this week to continue this marathon... :o

Cheers
Col.
long_gone_John
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John »

:lol: :lol: ....

this car must have consumed enough Wire to make a fence around Ireland! :P

You bought a HOLE & proceeded to fabricate the Do-Nut... :wink:

ACE!

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J »

Mind an wear your socks if you're welding.

Doing the funky chicken up and down the shed when a bit of weld drops off down your "sanny" :lol: isnt the most dignified way to be observed.
Sadly,I speak from experience. :mrgreen:

Carry on

John
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Noddy wrote: welding a new NSR arch on my Beemer a few weeks ago when i smelt burning , looked down to see my jeans on fire :o :o
Would that be these ones Dave?! :D
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Yeh,
already burnt my fingers, arm had the sparks flying allover too setting little fires on my overalls so well aware of the dangers :oops: :D Cheers.. not done the funk chicken yet J but there is still time..
Just been gifted 3 5kg reels of 0.6 welding wire along with one almighty 15kg reel so that should keep me going for a bit & save me a few quid along the way.. A happy camper now :D

Col..
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Not been to busy on The Pest this week as had a few things to do.

One was to go & see Scott & his collection of Imps.. Bit of an education too looking at them all & asking all the questions that have been rattling aroun dmy head since I started on mine.. Then he took me for a wee hurl in one of his 930s which was good fun & I was surprised how nippy it was.. :mrgreen: .
Cheers Scott I really appreciated you taking the time to do that for me..

I have managed to knock up another repair panel though to crack on with the rear of the floor near the wheel arch though. This has an indentation like the rest of the floor & i was keen to try & replicate this on the panel.. To do this I used a length of 1" box section with plate welded to either side of it & to the front part about 3/4mm below the top edge of the box section to give a raised edge...
300410plate.jpg
Then locked it in the vice & placed my panel onto it holding it down with a bit of angle & some clamps to keep the top edge level'ish :)
Floorpanelweldedon.jpg
Used a piece of scrap length of 40x5 I think it was or thereabouts along where i wanted the bend & hit it with a heavy implement, reversed it around & done the same to the other edge all without hitting my fingers ..
Image Image

Trial fitted to the car & chuffed with the result :D

Now wishing I had done it the same way for the previous panels I have already fitted to the car.. :roll:

Cheers
Col
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

nice work col.
can i suggest putting a big blob of weld on the scrap bar.welder on highest setting.
the head is transfered through to the piece you are bending .
makes it a bit easier to form the indentation.
you dont have to sweat as much wielding a big hammer.
well it worked when i did it anyway.
keep up the good work
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Hi Col

I like the repair section beautifully done. You'll be making section for sale soon :lol:

No problems re help/run, don't hesitate if you need another look etc.

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Scott & IM,
I don't think the panel specialists have anything to worry about my attempts at making panels.. :lol:

Further work done arouund the rear crossmember area today where it attaches to the bodywork. This area was corroded at bits so I've fully removed it & yes.. made up a panel for it.. Still in the rough stages as I need to drill holes for the bolts to come through it for the captive nuts & add a few more as I am fitting a sport crossmember & some to for the spot welding of it to the existing box sections/chassis.
crossmemberwithoutpanel.jpg
Crossmemberpanel.jpg
Before that is fitted though i will repair the existing captive nut as it has come adrift from its original piece of floor. This is where the new panel I made earlier(very Blue Peter) :lol: will be welded to before the new crossmember panel.. I had to add another piece to the underside of the rear seat as that was rusty too(surprise surprise!!!)

All tied into the floor now..
This will all be primed with weld through pimer well in advance of being fitted to the car then further painted with Zinc 182 that I recently bought.

Cheers
Col..