PES 989J... "The Pest" ....Knockhill prep

colimp66
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...removing wishbone bushes

Post by colimp66 »

This has been a long time since I have posted here about The Pest.
Simple reason really as I haven't looked at it since the beginning of the year with being self employed the business has taken priority and The Pest has sat in the garage unloved.

Hopefully with me posting that I have started on it again with the removal of the wishbone bushings to be replaced with the Polybush kit that I bought at Imp50 which seems such a long time ago that I will return to the garage and crack on with it.

Heres a photo of how I am removing the original bushings to prove I have done something or at least been in the garage. :lol:

I have already snapped two lengths of B&Q threaded bar removing the two bushes from one of the rear wishbones so today will be going home with a 10mm cro-mo bicycle axle and various nuts, washers and more threaded bar to finish of the last rear wishbone then it will be the fitting of the polybushes which should go without drama.

Cheers
Col. :wink:
impstress2003
Car Model: Various Hillman Imps

Post by impstress2003 »

Yippee! More posts on one of my favourite threads - glad to see you are on it again with "the pest" :D

I've changed several sets of Imp wishbone bushes over the years - I usually just punch them out with a close fitting socket and a lump hammer. In my experience the rubber is so hard that they just knock straight through. I've never bothered to use threaded bar.

Good luck!

S.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks guys.

I had some heat on them as well Iain, I even cut of the extra bit of rubber that is on the outside of the front ones which made it easier. The rears are the difficult ones to budge, I am determined that they are coming out though before the weekend. Only the one to do now so nearly there.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...stripping the steering rack

Post by colimp66 »

With the success of the removal of all the suspension bushes and the fitting of the polybushes I moved onto the steering rack this week. Basically to strip it for cleaning and a repaint with the fitting of new gaiters etc that I have ordered from Malcolm.
Also to keep me away from filling and rubbing down the body :lol: which will eventually have to be done but I just can't face it at the moment.
Kingpins knocked out the stub axles with a bit of heat and a BIG hammer ready to be cleaned up and refitted with new kingpin kit, wheel bearings etc. Steering rack removed from the bracket that bolts to the underside of the body.

I share an old shipping container at a local farm and found these that no one knew about or cared for so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what I could possibly use them for??? :wink:

May be able to use one as I only have a standard 875 with a Sport camshaft if I could find or make a manifold for it. ??
Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Stripping the steering rack

Post by ImpManiac »

Have you any pictures of your painted and refurbished suspension, Colin? :)

The Webers look a bit crusty. :? Probably salvagable, though. Are they 40DCOEs or one of the much rarer smaller varieties?

I would think you'd be better off using a pair of Webers than a single because that way you maximise the strength of the 'signal' (pressure pulse travelling up the inlet tract caused by inlet valve activity) at each venturi - provided that you have choked and jetted it appropriately. Others might disagree. :wink: Peter (Lotus-e-Clan) will tell you that Dell'ortos can be made to work very well on an 875 cc Sport engine, so one would assume the same applies to Webers.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Paul,
there are piccies of the wishbones painted on the previous page pre-bush removal. You are correct the carbs are quite crusty and Scott could be correct about shoving them on Ebay and flogging them on as I know they will be expensive to put right. At the moment they haven't cost me anything so may have a look over them this week and make a decision on what to do with them.

Thanks for the jetting advice Peter.

If I sell them the money can always get me more sandpaper. :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Paul,
A good etch primer will be ok to allow the top coats "stick" to your galvanized wishbones if you go that route. Mine have been blasted blasted, 2 coats of Bilt hammer, 2 coats of Zinc 182 primer then 2 coats of Satin Smoothrite so should be good for a whilst to come.

Not much done this week but I did receive my parts for the steering rack from Malcolm along with a kingpin tool so I can get those back together properly.
Instead of putting that lot back together and looking shiny with new paint etc. I have been helping my 11 year old son out with a school project on WW11 this week bending and shaping metal along with him having a go at welding it all up to have a finished product like this..
ImageImageImage

He likes getting the welding mask on and welding it all up. 8) Pity he wasn't that keen when I was doing the Pest :lol:
We will be painting it all up tonight so it is ready for Friday. Then I can get back onto my project. :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

:lol: I see what you did there... :wink:
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Shiny steering rack

Post by colimp66 »

Been a whilst since I posted any progress on The Pest but this week there has been a small bit of progress I am glad to report, not massive but with Christmas over with and nothing to make for my sons school projects at the moment I'm in the garage on the Imp. :P
Been busying myself with cleaning up the steering rack and fitting new gaiters that I bought a whilst ago and the fitting of the kingpins to the stub axles that I bought more than a whilst ago I am ashamed to say. :oops:

Anyhoo, here are some photo's that I know you all like.

With shiny stainless track rods that I bought oooHH donks ago!!!! :o

Stripped and cleaned stub axles with a set of new kingpins in all greased up and moving nicely now. Ready for the hubs and some shiny black paint to be applied some time soon then maybe fitted up to the wishbones that have been sitting against the garage wall waiting patiently to be reunited.

Cheers
Col.
impstress2003
Car Model: Various Hillman Imps

Post by impstress2003 »

You know a project is getting closer when the welding stops and the fettling/refurbing/cleaning of parts to refit starts. :D

Nice work with the steering parts, I can't wait to see this on the road!

Any thoughts on the paint scheme?

Simon
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Shiny hub parts

Post by colimp66 »

Been a long time time since I've posted about any progress on The Pest due to been really busy with business and family I haven't had the time to get near it for ages.
What I have done though is paint a few bits an bobs for the hubs as can be seen below.. A couple of coats of Hydrate 80, zinc primer then a couple of coats of an epoxy enamel to give it the shine 8)

Another reason for not getting on with the Pest is that I have been bending metal in a different way to making it fit an Imp.

Halfway finished..

Finished sitting outside my shop.

Took a month of late nights and the days I have spare.

Cheers
Col.
Lars Hagermark
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Impressive metal shaping and artistic skills. :D
Now I start to wonder what "The Pest" will look like. :wink:
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Shiny hub parts

Post by tiker »

Looking good col nice to see your posting again
Gary
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Brake caliper adaptors

Post by colimp66 »

After being inspired with all the lovely Imps at the National I've had a couple of hours in the garage over the weekend fabricating the front disc caliper brackets for The Pest.

2x8mm steel plate,4x14mm long M10 spacers for the caliper and 4x6mm M10 spacers for the hub with appropriate High tensile bolts once they arrive.

The result is this for one of them so far.
Imp brake caliper bkt.jpg
Cheers
Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Lovely work, Colin! :) How did you cut them to shape?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Magic, crack on sir!
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...passenger floor seat rails

Post by colimp66 »

Had some time to spend on the Pest itself recently instead of the component parts so decided to pull out the factory seat base of the passenger floor and replicate what I have done with the drivers side. Drilled out all the spot welds of the original, throw it out and make up the new plates for the box section to go in some point this week after cleaning up the rusty bittie which were underneath.
Seat rails welded in.jpg
The plates are now welded in awaiting the box section and brackets to attach the seat to.. :)
Slow progress but progress all the same.

Cheers
Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Finished of the seat rails with box section this week and fitted the passenger seat to see how it fits. Still need to be painted but I know they fit and slide properly as they should . :)
LeatherRecaroboltedin.jpg
Once I was happy with the seat position I moved onto the scuttle where i wanted to fill in the washer holes so at least I have one less area that could have water leaking into the car body. New washer jets will be fitted to the bonnet once I am at that stage.
Windscreen washer holes2_zps0bxqorgm.jpg
Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

It's good to see the Pest progress, Colin. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
tiker

Post by tiker »

Hi Colin like the seats its looking good ,I've been thinking about welding up the water jet holes myself the scuttle is a terrible place to get water in, anything to keep it out is good news to me
Gary
John Simister
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Post by John Simister »

My Stiletto had the washer jet holes brazed up back in the 80s. A rust bubble had appeared by one of the former holes by the time I bought it last year. So during the repaint it's just had, the original holes and jets were reinstated for a period-correct look and a washer-jet hole in the bonnet welded up. It's the opposite of what's been done here... just make sure that if you do it, you do it better than it was done on mine 30 years ago!

John
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Paul, chipping away at it slowly once again when I have time and in the mood for it.

Tiker, your scuttle looks like it is in worse shape than mine was from what I can see in the photo. My thoughts are if it is going to leak I would rather it leaked into the boot space where I could see it rather than slowly eat away at the hidden metal within the scuttle.

John if it last for another 30 years I reckon I have done well :lol: but I know what you mean.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...a bit more done

Post by colimp66 »

A little bit more progress of late with The Pest since the last time I updated.

The underside has now been seam sealed and a second coat of Zinc primer so ready for some Upol Gravitex underseal then a splash of top coat colour some time soon. :P
Also painted the passenger side area where the passenger seat is now located and been tidying up the interior for some primer so that could also receive some colour.
A Metro steering column was given to me so I can now have a lowered steering column so that will be done before any colour is applied to the interior which will allow me to attach my pressie from Santa.....
:D

Last night I dug out the pedal box and let my drill eat away at the pedals for a bit then rounded of all the sharp edges with the flap wheel giving a much more appealing look to them I think.
Lightened pedals.jpg
Be back in over the weekend figuring out the steering column position.

Cheers
Col.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Col i think the pedals look great if your going to hang them on the wall of the garage ,if the brake pedal snaps your in major trouble

col
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

A bit off topic, but back when I was a young teenager, and keen on racing pushbikes, we had a guy who was crazy about weight saving. He drilled EVERY THING. His Ali brake calipers, seat post, pedals, crank you name it. One day I went round his house to find he'd drilled holes around the large front crank wheel and even three small holes in each TOOTH ! :o I'm not kidding you, you could twist it easily in your hands, but around the circumference it was as strong as ever. Each hole was chamfered to ease stresses caused at sharp edges, and he raced with it all.

Oh, and before anyone says it, the racing bikes were so we could escape from the dinosaurs :D

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Andy,
I used to race BMX and it ws similar then too. Once I started racifn Classic motorbikes it was the same ethos with the brake pedals, clutch and front brake levers. The wheel hubs weren't left out either from the attention of the drill bit, if it didn't resemble Swiss cheese it wasn't worthy of being on the bike. Clutch baskets often got the same attention too.

I understand Colins concern regarding the brake pedal but I am confident in it being ok.

Cheers
Col.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

I expect you could get what you need for the job from a parts holesaler too?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...adjustable steering column

Post by colimp66 »

Steadily working away at small jobs on the Pest since I last posted. The underside of the floor has been seam sealed and a second coat of Zinc primer added, the inside has had similar treatment as well.
New tubing to progress the roll cage has been bought and some of it added to connect the front loop over the windscreen area, still to fit the door bars which is next on the list before the removal of the cage so I can have it powdercoated at some point and paint the interior. A bit in the future but I have to make a plan of some sort. :P

Last night it was a matter of refitting the seats for the umpteenth time to see how I am going to attach the Rover 100 steering column and to get an idea of position.
Rover100 column mockup_zpslboz4oez.jpg
I have trimmed down all the extra bits from the Rover 100 switch gear attachments so I can make up my own mounts to allow some adjustabillity as well as a new steering lock/ignition on the column.

Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Interesting, Colin. :) I have to say, an adjustable steering column in my Chamois appeals to me. :wink: The safety benefits of a collapsible column would be attractive too.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Paul.
I am hoping to have it more or less welded up by the weekend regarding the steering column with it's newly acquired adjustability. :wink:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Baz you are correct they did come from the guy in S.America, quite some time ago and I appreciate the advice on fitting from you and Andy, cheers.
To be honest they were put straight into my box of new birts for the car and havent been looked at since. I dont even know what box the original lights are in to try and see how they fit. I will tread carefully following the advice of you both.
They do look pretty cool on your Imp Andy and I'm hoping for a similar coolness 8) to my end result. :D
Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

A bit more done with the adjustable column I am fitting. Made up the lower pivot point bracket and tacked that onto the bulkhead which allowed me to make up two plates to weld onto the column itself which gives a good bit of adjustment in comparison to the original column.
The original top mounting point is still fitted to the body in the photos to give me a datum point to know that it will be pointing in the original position at least. A new top mount is in the planning to allow for the slidinf adjustability that I want to create.
In the low position but I doubt it will need to go this low.
Steering column low.jpg
In the high position where it would be originally.
Steering column high.jpg
From the driving position showing where the ignition and steering lock now are using a motorbike ignition switch.
Steering ignition.jpg
The ease of adjustment is being made by using quick release levers from a bicycle seat clamp.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Finished my adjustable steering column this afternoon which is now adjustable by 70mm in height from around the standard position to a much lower postion which suits the lowered seating position I now have. Pleased with the finished result. :D
In the low position.
Steering column low adjustment.jpg
In the high original position which may be useful for getting in and out once I fit the door bars to the rollcage.
Steering column high adjustment.jpg
Now to start on the door bars. :wink: Cheers
Col
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...adjustable steering column don

Post by bks974c »

Nicely done - now Bailey can drive it too :wink:

Making good progress now.

Scott
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...adjustable steering column don

Post by colimp66 »

Baillie hasn't tried it today Scott but his wee legs wont reach the pedals yet and I wont be making them adjustable :lol: the pedals. Not his legs. :wink:
Dave the ujs are part of the Rover 100 steering column I have used. I cut off the bottom of the Imp inner column and put that into the lower splines of the Rover column, tightened it all up then welded it all round for good measure. The Rover column has bearings top and bottom so smooth turning.
Appreciate your thoughts on my pedals and they will be checked regularly.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...door bars

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Paul, pretty chuffed how it has turned out.
Been working on the rest of the roll bar this week with tacking in the door bars with finishong of the rhs one tonight.
Rhs door bar front.jpg
Rhs door bar rear.jpg
Cheers
Col.
The Nun

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...door bars..

Post by The Nun »

Will you do a crash test to see if the column deforms in a safe way to stop the steering wheel being pushed into the driver.
Do you have to tell the insurers youve altered the standard steering set up, one assumes with a joint it will perform better in a crash than the standard item but what do you do if they say prove it then?
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Got the lhs door bar made up today so now have to take it all and finish of all the welds to make it all solid. The seats, rollbar and steering column all coming out so I can flip the car over and underseal and paint a body colour on below before fitting the suspension and get it on its wheels.
Lhs door bar rear.jpg
Lhs door bar front.jpg
Cheers
Col
chris d
Club Member: No
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

glad your back on the we beastie
now stop messing about and get it finished
cant wait to see it done
chris d
Imp025 Imp007 Imp005 Imp002
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Spalsh of colour underneath..

Post by colimp66 »

Over the past week I have readying The Pest for a splash of protection and colour to it's underside and finally got that on it today.
Taped and masked up the topside of the car for a coat of uPol Gravitex underseal in white,
Prepaint.JPG
So today all I needed to do was actually paint it with the Gravitex
Gravitex underseal.JPG
And after much debate and buying of different shades of blue I have decided on a BS18E50 light blue for the final choice, I hope you like it.
Painted underside.JPG
The plan is now to fit all the painted suspension parts I have scattered about and get it back on its wheels so I can finish of the bodywork.

Cheers
Col. Imp030
The Nun

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...Splash of colour underneath

Post by The Nun »

Duck Egg Blue :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

For what it's worth, I like the shade of blue. You are doing a lovely job, Colin! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
tiker

Post by tiker »

Looking good col,
Colour's good too.
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Nice colour choice and kind of period - personally im not a lover of modern or garishly bright colours on Imps although some have pulled this off well.
Formally known as " Noddy "
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers chaps.
I see what you mean Drew it does a bit now that you have said it. :lol:

Fitted the rear subframe/crossmember for the suspension tonight although I didn't have enough bolts so they will be ordered tomorrow.
Good to be refitting parts that have been kicking about for ages.
painted Subframe refitted.JPG
Cheers
Col
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Fandabbidozy pal!
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...refitting suspension parts

Post by colimp66 »

One or two parts refitted to The Pest this evening.
Painted fornt wishbones fitted.JPG
Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Painted suspensionwishbones fitted.JPG
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Had to fit the wheel and tyre which I think may be a bit tight with it having a 185/60x13 on a 7" rim.
Trial fit fornt wheel.JPG
Cheers
Col
Duk
Car Model: 70' stupidlow super, 74' not so low super

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" ...refitting of front suspension

Post by Duk »

A 175/60 will have a tiny bit of stretch but could give it that bit more room :) you'll be done before me at this rate :lol:
MRG 734G - Deceased!
FYL 900J - Still being welded!
JKO 15N - Sharkmouth