Re: Singer Chamois - "Sammy"

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Charlotte
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois 69 Hillman Imp Super 67

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Last edited by Charlotte on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sammy the Chamois 1969 - WYU 913H
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Very nice, love twin headlight saloons.
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:39 pm

What a nice car,Sammy The Chammy, love it!
Loving Imps since 1963!!
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks :) Drove him the 30 odd miles home and it was great :P :P

We're going here tomorrow

http://www.classiccarshows.org.uk/restor.html

Gave him a once over and spotted a few bits that will need a tidy up - but on the whole he's fab :mrgreen:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Rare MK3 Chammy , veeeeeeeery nice :P . YU is a London registration.
Formally known as " Noddy "
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Noddy wrote:Rare MK3 Chammy , veeeeeeeery nice :P
What makes him rare? :?: There are some parts not standard - the engine has some non original bits, and the bonnet is from an Imp.

Thanks
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 pm

They didnt make many MK3 Chamois , not much special or unique parts really , more of a parts bin job ( not meant to sound nasty ), although i think the front dummy grill is unique to this model and the MK3 Coupe .( apart of course from the one ive bolted to the front of my Vusky) . :lol: He does have HILLMAN on the bonnet , maybe its been replaced ( not uncommon by any stretch ).
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:36 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Congratulations! Sammy looks fantastic. You'll have to let us know what the 6 out of 7 people at work make of it :wink:

EDIT:
don't want to put a dampner on things :oops: ... but one small concern is that there is a lot of overspray in evidence suggesting a hasty respray. I presume that you had the car properly checked over before you bought it :? Hopefully just the product of timesaving rather than a cover up :D

Dave.
Last edited by Prometheus on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Kinger
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Kinger » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Nice looking car :D
Sammy The chammy.......tff
Cheers
Mike
Extinct is forever...keep it on the road
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Prometheus wrote: ... but one small concern is that there is a lot of overspray in evidence suggesting a hasty respray. I presume that you had the car properly checked over before you bought it :? Hopefully just the product of timesaving rather than a cover up :D
Took someone with me who has a more "classic eye", and ex Imp owner and he seemed to think that mechanically everything was sound. According to the previous owner the respray was done as a favour as he worked in the trade - Aware that its not perfect and will need a good clean up around the edges. :wink:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Sort out the overspray , get " Singer " back on the boot lid and voila one pucca and usual Imp :P , has he been resprayed the original colour :?:
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Noddy wrote: has he been resprayed the original colour :?:
No he has been resprayed (apparently) Ferrari red, he was originally maroon - Some of the bits on the inside are still the original colour :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Noddy wrote: has he been resprayed the original colour :?:
No he has been resprayed (apparently) Ferrari red, he was originally maroon - Some of the bits on the inside are still the original colour :roll:
Nice colour though , apart from the overspray it looks to be a good paint job , unlike my Vusky which plainly isnt.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Prometheus wrote: ... but one small concern is that there is a lot of overspray in evidence suggesting a hasty respray. I presume that you had the car properly checked over before you bought it :? Hopefully just the product of timesaving rather than a cover up :D
Took someone with me who has a more "classic eye", and ex Imp owner and he seemed to think that mechanically everything was sound. According to the previous owner the respray was done as a favour as he worked in the trade - Aware that its not perfect and will need a good clean up around the edges. :wink:
That's OK then. I wasn't trying to criticise in any way, just wanted to be sure you had had sammy checked over. There have been many unfortunate tales of people buying cars with fresh respray's only to discover that under the paint they had been repaired with mud and straw ......... well you know what I mean. It's more of a safety concern than a cosmetic one.

If the person who checked it over was an imp owner then hopefully they knew what to look for bodywork wise. Mechanical stuff can always be sorted out relatively easily. It's bodywork that is a bit more complicated.

Best of luck with it and most importantly enjoy it :D
Dave.
"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Wow! :o Congratulations! An unusual Imp variant. It looks like a nice, usable example. I hope you enjoy it! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Charlotte wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
That's OK then. I wasn't trying to criticise in any way, just wanted to be sure you had had sammy checked over.
Best of luck with it and most importantly enjoy it :D
Dave.
That's okay, I am open to constructive criticism as am new to the Imp world and therefore am grateful for any knowledge/ideas/suggestions that are sent my way :)

& Thanks - Been out for a drive tonight it's fabulous! :D :D
pure~hillman~imp
Car Model: 1976 Saloon, MX5 Turbo

Post by pure~hillman~imp » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:10 am

Congratulations, Sammy looks lovely, with some nice choice modifications engine wise, imo. That is a 28/36 carb yes? Id say leave it. I fitted mine about 2 years ago, using the car every day until recently and now every other day or more, and never touched it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Imping, Charlotte! Have fun at your first show.
Change of location: Avoiding teh forumz Police...
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Hey Charlotte!

That's looking good :D I agree with the earlier comment re saloons with the twin headlight panel ;) .

Enjoy!

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Sammy and I had a great day out at the Restoration show in Stoneleigh today. I've done more miles in the last 48 hours since I've owned him than he's done in the year :shock:

Before we set out went to get petrol which was fun! Bloke come over and said "don't mind if I have a look do you, I used to have one of those". :) Get to the show and just as I park up someone else said "Nice example, I used to have one of those". I am beginning to realise if I had £1 for everytime someone said that I'd become rich quite quick :lol:

Great car so far - Lots of fun and smiles!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:28 pm

You soon get used to that , having had Imps since 81 im used to it all now , no point robbing a bank in one thats for sure. :P
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am

Not a good start to the week, went out to start Sammy but no luck. He initially started to turn over but then gave up, think the battery is maybe flat, or I flooded the choke but he didn’t want to go. It was freeeeezing cold out tho maybe that had something to do with it. Not used to a manual choke – any recommendations? :shock:
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am

I'd suggest put a new battery in there first. This might sound obvious :oops: but at this time of year, if a battery is showing signs of weakness, it is pretty much beyond hope. It is my experience that once you need to start topping up the electrolyte in a battery or recharging it when it is used most days, its days are numbered anyway.

For the sake of £50-60ish, it is well worth the investment. Especially if you depend on the car. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 am

Hello charlotte welcome to the forum, the weber 28/36 you have on should start by pulling choke on fully wind over on key it will catch and run if this is not happening push the choke lever down slowly at the same time as turning the engine over till it fires and runs then use the throttle do not touch the throttle pedal before it is running. an alternative is not to use the choke but push the throttle pedal to the floor twice and turn the engine over and gently apply the throttle pedal till the engine fires and runs you may need to rev it slightly till it will idle on its own. Things like this are why some people say that old cars have character, you need to learn the car, you could try another identical imp and it will have its own starting technique.

regards mike
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks for the hints - My friend is coming round later to help me possibly jump start Sammy if he doesn't start. Mate has informed me that all "older" vehicles are tempremental, as they own a 38 year old 2CV Van which does similar on the cold mornings. :oops:
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:56 pm

As Mike says you just have to get used to your cars little foibles. A new battery is a good idea though. I'd go for the biggest one you can fit in the space avaialble. Maybe also look at an alternator conversion.

Baz
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Just coz its old doesnt mean it shouldnt start first time , both my Imps start first time everytime no matter how cold or how long i leave them , as suggested a battery annd charging system check is a good idea , not sure if they are still available , but a Lucas battery 037/4 ( heavy duty one ) is great .
ezza
Club Member: No

Post by ezza » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Very nice Chammy that Charlotte , i've got the same thing but a coupe .

All looks very tidy , engine looks like its a sport type or at least got some sport parts on . Oil cooler , Weber carb and probably a decent exhaust but can't see much in the pic.

Like others have said , i'd replace the battery with a new one (means it won't be half red too! :D ) as they don't last forever .
Also what you really need if you want propper reliability is to fit an alternator instead of that dynamo. If using the car at night with lights on , heater , wipers , radio etc the dynamo is useless meaning the battery can't get enough charge and often leads to a flat battery when trying to start from cold the next morning, epseically with an old battery.

I've converted more than i can remember and is really simple with the right parts. Just a case of changing a bracket on the engine so the alternator can be fastened front and rear , alternator is shorter than a dynamo, removing the dynamo regulator and joining some wires together which were once separate on the regulator.

Job done.

Obviously need the parts first and i highly reccomend getting a new alternator rather than a second hand one . The best place i reccomend if not using an imp supplier is paddockspares.com , wholesale land rover parts dealer, you will not find anyone cheaper for bits and the alternator for a Series Land rover diesel or petrol is right for an Imp .. may need a pulley though so check first if they come with pulley or not.

If you need any more info or parts to do the job i probably have some spare .. i've run imps as everyday cars since i was 18 , 8 years after and still not bored and can vouch they're super reliable if you do the right things to them :twisted:
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am

Thank you for the advice everyone :) Car needs a good once over (and has an oil leak) and def a new battery and wing mirrors. :lol: Took him into work today and all the people that said "Ew" were won over, one even asked to take him for a spin and loved him! :D :D

Am joining the club at the NEC so hopefully be able to post more when I'm a proper club member :)

So far...... Brilliant!!!!!!!
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Post by celyn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Ooh, shiny! Sammy's gorgeous :)

You'll soon get used to his little foibles and irritations, and you'll learn how to overcome them. Don't forget to check out your local Area Centre meetings - Area meetings are held once a month in a local(ish) hostelry, and you'll find some very helpful Impers there with plenty of expertise. Details can be found each month in the Imp Club magazine Impressions.
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
Imperfectimp20002
Car Model: Singer Chamois sport 998 powerd!! yeh baby!!

Post by Imperfectimp20002 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Charlotte wrote:Thank you for the advice everyone :) Car needs a good once over (and has an oil leak) and def a new battery and wing mirrors. :lol: Took him into work today and all the people that said "Ew" were won over, one even asked to take him for a spin and loved him! :D :D

Am joining the club at the NEC so hopefully be able to post more when I'm a proper club member :)

So far...... Brilliant!!!!!!!
You just be carefull who'm you let have a spin!!! as they may not come back!!! or want to swop ya ;o)

Nice looking car,welcome to the club.

Most of us are very helpfull but just a few of us are as crazy as a box of frogs!!

All the best

Richie
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Went out to him this morning got a tyre as flat as a pancake and quite an oil leak :o
Both should be easy enough fixes (I hope!) :wink:

Hopefully going to local Brum meet to meet up with other Imp-ers.

:D
gdbushell
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe, Hillman Husky

Post by gdbushell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:03 pm

I think they all leak oil.

At least mine do, even with newly assembled engines and all new gaskets.

I've been banned from some peoples driveways because of my incontinent cars... :oops:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm

I think the engine leaks are factory fitted , the only ones ive seen that dont leak havnt got any oil in them. :lol:
Imperfectimp20002

Post by Imperfectimp20002 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Mine leaks too!!!
and to be honest ever one ive owned dropt a little oil!!
but its half the fun!
just wait till all the little bits are sorted! b a little cracker

Keep on imping

Richie
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Oil leaks that "CAN be fixed easily are the crankshaft pully oil seal ( check for wear groove on pully as well ), dizzy "o" ring seal , cambox and oil filler gaskets , sumps start off not leaking when replaced but usually start too after a while. :P
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Noddy wrote:I think the engine leaks are factory fitted , the only ones ive seen that dont leak havnt got any oil in them. :lol:
"Nice" to know the oil leaks aren't unique to me :oops:
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Post by celyn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Noddy wrote:I think the engine leaks are factory fitted , the only ones ive seen that dont leak havnt got any oil in them. :lol:
"Nice" to know the oil leaks aren't unique to me :oops:
You're definitely not alone. I've no idea how they do it, but all old cars seem to have a gift for dripping oil. Even Celyn does it, and she had a new engine towards the end of July. It doesn't detract from the joy of driving an Imp (or Chamois) though - it just adds to the 'interest'.
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
Imperfectimp20002

Post by Imperfectimp20002 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Charlotte wrote:Went out to him this morning got a tyre as flat as a pancake and quite an oil leak :o
Both should be easy enough fixes (I hope!) :wink:

Hopefully going to local Brum meet to meet up with other Imp-ers.

:D
Perhaps he wants a nite in with his mum!!!

some imps hate beer and mixing with people,others love it.
ur imp will soon come good!but dont put stella in his fuel tank for gods sake!!
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:33 pm

Sammy and I had a good night out at the local Brum meet - got to meet fellow Imp-ers and they got to meet Sammy. Looking forward to the classic car show at the NEC next. Found out lots of useful hints and tips last night :D
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:22 pm

I think she's hooked ;) :lol: