back from national

Details for IMP 06
Stirling County Rugby Club from 27th to 31st July

Moderator: Jim 'Saltire' Fraser

impman1965

back from national

Post by impman1965 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:33 pm

850 mile round trip to national and the wife asks me 20 miles from home if i wanted her to do some driving :?
what can i say for imp 06, weather good except for yesterday where it threw it down, venue very nice and scenic, knockhill was great, food was excellent the band on sat nite was really good, the organization of everything was top class and everything else added up to a fantastic week end, so from me and wife and no doubt many others thanks jim and the rest of the team for a great national
Useless Eustace
Club Member: Yes

Post by Useless Eustace » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:25 pm

Have to agree with everything. Site great, organisation great, food great, runs great, Knockhill great, band great.................in fact it was absolooooooooootely MAGIC :D
sunstrip_steve

Post by sunstrip_steve » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:45 pm

was a great weekend. not even the rain could ruin it. thanks guys! Shame i ould not stay for longer.
xrsteve2003
Car Model: 1971 Hillman Imp Super

Post by xrsteve2003 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 am

What an event. I was only there on the Sunday but it was a great venue. The weather was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the trip from Northern Ireland. Even came home with a sun tan. Well done to the organisers, you all deserve a pat on the back. :D
Steve
lee

Post by lee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:16 am

xrsteve2003 Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an event. I was only there on the Sunday but it was a great venue. The weather was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the trip from Northern Ireland. Even came home with a sun tan. Well done to the organisers, you all deserve a pat on the back.
Steve
Did you come back with an Imp then, no? Were there none for sale there Steve?

Glad you boys all had a top time! Shame I couldnt make it this year! Gutted... :oops:
xrsteve2003
Car Model: 1971 Hillman Imp Super

Post by xrsteve2003 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:14 pm

There were only a couple for sale but nothing that appealed im afraid. Still no rush. I`ll keep looking.
cheers,
Steve :D
F T P

Post by F T P » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:00 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if the team responsible for the organisation of IMP '06 organised all the nationals.

What an asset to the club they are!!!....especially after the recent cat fights within the club!!!

The enthusiasm, the forward planning , the attention to detail, the determination to see the plans to completion. A super human effort from an outstanding team who deserve all the praise that must surely come their way.

The standard is set. I hope you have us back soon!!!
aldrin

Post by aldrin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm

F T P wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if the team responsible for the organisation of IMP '06 organised all the nationals.

What an asset to the club they are!!!....especially after the recent cat fights within the club!!!

The enthusiasm, the forward planning , the attention to detail, the determination to see the plans to completion. A super human effort from an outstanding team who deserve all the praise that must surely come their way.

The standard is set. I hope you have us back soon!!!
Hi all,

Just a thought,
Is the National getting a bit 'too big',
let me qualify that! is it too big to organise as a one off ?
Would it be better to have two or maybe three venues that it returns to every two/three years ?

IF .... if the National returned to Stirling in 08 or 09, could Jim and his team re-use some of the research and preparations this year, to put on a repeat event ?
would alternating North(scotland) and south(M4 corridor?) nationals on settled venues ease the burden on the organisers ?
I think all who made the trip to Stirling would say it was well, well worth it, and the too far away from most members issue is compensated by the quality of the event.

Any organisers or recent Nationals want to comment on doing a reapeat of their event, would it be easier the second time round, or is once enough !

Aldrin
hillmanimp_uk

Post by hillmanimp_uk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 pm

what about 5 venues?,then it could be divided up central,north, south,east and west,with area centres grouping together to run one event,so for instance west could be warrington ,cheshire and north wales,etc.south could be made up of croydon,surrey,kent,sussex etc.the venues themselves could change,as well they might need to,but the area could be on a rota.discuss.(nicely) :D
Stupidity is a disease,and i'm allergic
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 pm

What a fantastic weekend. Great venue and really well run. Great idea putting the 06 team in florescent jackets so they were easily spotted. Everything about the weekend was spot on. Cheers Jim and team for all the hard work. Do you fancy doing it again next year :lol:
James Henderson.
sunstrip_steve

Post by sunstrip_steve » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:39 pm

Aldrin

would you like to start a new topic in the relevant place to discuss this. Its not really appropriate in this one.

Thanks
aldrin

Post by aldrin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:41 pm

sunstrip_steve wrote:Aldrin

would you like to start a new topic in the relevant place to discuss this. Its not really appropriate in this one.

Thanks
Hi Steve,
Ok fair point,but where do you suggest ?
is there an imp07 section yet ?
Most peoples thoughts on returning from a national (back from the national, imp06) especially one as good as this years, turn to where next, and I wasn't starting a new thread but responding constructivley to a post on this one, about imp06 and wouldn't it be nice to do a scottish national again soon. I'am not sure I agree that it's not appropriate here. However if in your role as moderator you feel it is necessary to split the thread or relocate a post then please do so.

Aldrin
sunstrip_steve

Post by sunstrip_steve » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:43 pm

General blah or club stuff would seem sufficiently William for that topic i would suggest
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:17 pm

Oh what a national it was a cracker the scotish boy done them selfs proud and scotland .We done a round trip of 900 miles with race car in tow and i for 1 would do it again next year if it was another 900 mile trip .

Thanks again to all involved for a great weekend

colin
phatbob
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp.

Post by phatbob » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:32 pm

Definitely the best National yet. The exemplar of how to organise a National! Congratulations and sincere thanks to all those involved in putting it together.
Missing it already ;-)
Phatbob.
Astronomy is looking up!
Gerry M
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Gerry M » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:37 pm

As I've already said to the organising team, well done. Great fun on a soaking wet autotest, even spinning at knockhill didnt bother me as I was having so much fun. Steak pie was great, venue staff were great, Weather well being scottish I expected a little rain but didnt dampen the spirits.

Well done to Jim & the gang
sunstrip_steve

Post by sunstrip_steve » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:51 pm

even spinning at knockhill didnt bother me
seems like you were in good company!
HughL

Post by HughL » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:00 pm

As one of the organising team, what made the national for me was the people who turned up. Everybody was really enthusiastic, positive and up for a party! Also the fact that nearly 40 people were prepared to throw their cars around Knockhill after driving so far was just incredible. This is the real Imp Club. The recent forum discussions don't reflect what a great bunch of people are out there!

It was also great to see a few faces from the past - hopefully we have reawakened their interest and will see them at the area centres soon.

Thanks to everybody and see you soon.

Hugh L
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers - A fabulous weekend. Like Colin I towed the race car but only 700 mile roundtrip plus the miles at Knockhill! Are you sure you could wait a year Colin? I though about checking out the remaining race dates at Knockhill and having another long weekend as I feel I know the circuit now and how to avoid spinners!

Pete Richards
Ed
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Ed » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:06 am

I'll add my thanks as well. Absolutely superb weekend. Fanatastic trips out and Knockhill was superb, can't wait for the finished video to come out. Organisation the whole way through was exemplary, it's going to be a difficult one to follow on from! Only complaint from my other half was that it wasn't long enough to do everything!

Ed
rootes
Club Member: No

Post by rootes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:02 am

aldrin wrote:
sunstrip_steve wrote:Aldrin

Thanks
Hi Steve,
Ok fair point,but where do you suggest ?
is there an imp07 section yet ?

Aldrin
start a new topic off in the club forum titled:

IMP XX (the National) Location

regards
Si
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
rootes

Post by rootes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:04 am

phatbob wrote:Definitely the best National yet. The exemplar of how to organise a National! Congratulations and sincere thanks to all those involved in putting it together.
Missing it already ;-)
Phatbob.
yep top job all round!
GJM

Post by GJM » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:10 am

Yup, great national all round, huge thanks to Jim and the team for making it one to remember! Great to put faces to names and to make new aquatencies and friends. Looking forward to next year already!
andy
Car Model: Imp, Husky, AA Van

Post by andy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:16 am

Wow what a time :D

9 days in an IMP :P over 1,500 miles driven In Lejog :P (no major problems) :P

Fantastic National, great organisation, great people :D

Thanks for all your cash on Saturday Night for the Childrens Hospice :P werent the band great :D Also thanks for all your support through this forum :D

Thanks to Jim and all his team for all their hard work fantastic

In fact it is only now sat in front on my work PC with 320 unread emails all requiring attention :cry: that the smile is starting to fade :cry: oh well better get on and earn some dosh to pay for next years national :wink:

Andy
www.imps.me.uk
64 Hillman Imp, 65 AA Commer Van , 69 Deluxe (for sale), 71 Hillman Husky.
www.andysmith.me.uk
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 am

Just to say a big THENAK YOU to Jim and the team. I knew it would be good but it exceeded all expectations. Brilliant.

Anyone who thought it was too far to go all I can say is you missed possibly the best National yet!

Btw, was there meant to be a fridge magnet in the goody bag?
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
hillmanimp_uk

Post by hillmanimp_uk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:19 am

Grahame59 wrote:Just to say a big THENAK YOU to Jim and the team.
is that gaelic or celtic ? :D

btw ,i'm absolutley gutted i missed it,things as they are meant it just wasnt possible.
lee

Post by lee » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:38 am

btw ,i'm absolutley gutted i missed it,things as they are meant it just wasnt possible.
You and me both know you didnt go, just so you could stay at home and watch Teletubbies, followed by a double bill of Rosie & Jim....

:lol:
pure~hillman~imp
Car Model: 1976 Saloon, MX5 Turbo

Post by pure~hillman~imp » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 pm

It was a great national this year, and i reckon i covered around 900 - 1000miles including my random wanders round the roads.

The trackday was great, the autotest was great (i only did sundays) and all the drives out were great, i particularly liked the fact people were stopping to film/take pictures of all the cars on route, near bridges and such, nice idea.
Change of location: Avoiding teh forumz Police...
hillmanimp_uk

Post by hillmanimp_uk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:11 pm

lee wrote:
You and me both know you didnt go, just so you could stay at home and watch Teletubbies, followed by a double bill of Rosie & Jim....

:lol:
i need the practice,you know that.do you seriously think i would watch mind numbing cartoons out of choice instead of going to national?
angela
Car Model: sharing my dad's super, husky and Caledonian!

Post by angela » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:13 pm

the bar has definitely been raised for Nationals to come!
For the first time I was able to stay for the Sunday night too and it was so worth it, what a lovely way to end the week.
Knockhill was inspired - I loved the police car with his sirens on, giving it what for, I got some fab pics of Imps at play instead of just lined up and shiny!! Thank you to the 06 team, this was our main holiday this year and it more than lived up to expectations.
Angela
lee

Post by lee » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 pm

i need the practice,you know that.do you seriously think i would watch mind numbing cartoons out of choice instead of going to national?
Umm...Yeah!?

Come on Andy, your secret is out now. Admit it. You LOVE Rosie & Jim...Its ok mate, we symperthise... :lol:
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 pm

Pete i would be interested in doing a race there next year. As for spinning you only spin when your trying and the father was pushing as he hasent driven the car in 10years im just glad it was him and not me .Oh and if any one has a picture of it i would love to buy a copy

thanks colin
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:43 pm

I can only echo.

The best National yet? Or at least one of the best IMHO.

Jim and the team worked very hard to make it work that smoothly and deserve massive respect and thanks for it.

Thanks to all for making it a wonderful weekend in a beautiful location with some great folks.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
mtnbikepoacher
Car Model: Imp basic and deluxe

Post by mtnbikepoacher » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:46 pm

Sounds like I missed the wrong national. What a bummer :cry:
The pics of the event make me feel even more left out! Nice site! I remember the location from my trip last year.
rootes

Post by rootes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:01 pm

colin rooney wrote:Pete i would be interested in doing a race there next year. As for spinning you only spin when your trying and the father was pushing as he hasent driven the car in 10years im just glad it was him and not me .Oh and if any one has a picture of it i would love to buy a copy

thanks colin
caught on the video and even a slow motion replay!
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:05 pm

I've only had the pleasure of 4 Nationals, but, yes...This has to be the best so far. And wasn't Jim Fraser just a brilliant host (despite taking the michael out of our ACO at every opportunity :D ). The young band were just plain fantastic...and SO confident too. The food was good, and fair value for money. All in all, brilliant. And I got sunburnt on Sunday...so no comments about the weather from me. 1075 mile round trip, all at break-neck speed !! Just under 9 hours to get home, including 2 comfort stops and a short one for a potential breakdown by another (nameless) Imper.... :wink:

Andy G.

Oh, and a personal Thank You to Lynette for her fantastic assistance in the fancy dress, and Chantal for the make-up !! Can't wait for the photies :?
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Jim 'Saltire' Fraser
Car Model: '67 Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by Jim 'Saltire' Fraser » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Well folks, what can I say? I'm over whelmed that so many of you have posted to say how much you enjoyed Imp 06, I'm glad that our Scottish hospitality shone through :D It was a pleasure for us all to see so many people enjoying the fruits of all our hard work. I can only reiterate that it was very much a team effort and thank everyone who pitched in to help over the weekend. I've been very lucky to have the honour of working beside some great people at Imp 06, never a cross word was spoken through out the whole weekend and everything was dealt with with commitment and professionalism by everyone involved.
The Club house staff and catering staff were brilliant with us and I think we set a new record for the Saturday night BBQ/Curry - 175 adult and 13 childrens portions :D
Sorry that I've taken so long to post on this thread but I went to bed last night and slept for 12 hours solid! The rest of the day has been spent unloading cars, trailers, caravans etc and the flat is still like a bomb site :shock:
A full report will be in next months Impressions, along with photos and prize winners details (providing I can get it done before the deadline)
On behalf of the whole Imp 06 team, thank you from the bottom of our hearts to everyone who made the long journey to join us at Stirling. I'll also upload some pictures from our official photographer, Andy Ellis, over the next few days, when I get things sorted out.

Regarding the query about fridge magnets, no there wasn't one made. We opted for the monti carlo rally boards instead. (you could always duct tape it to the fridge :lol: )

Finally, as for the suggestion that the Imp 06 team do it every year, I'm sure that could be arranged. If everyone chipped in to the tune of £20k per organiser per annum, we could give up the day jobs :wink:
Seriously though, it was a lot of hard work but worth every minute if it brought so much enjoyment to those who attended.

Thanks again for all the positive comments, kind regards (a very tired) Jim :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:09 pm

lee wrote:
xrsteve2003 Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an event. I was only there on the Sunday but it was a great venue. The weather was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the trip from Northern Ireland. Even came home with a sun tan. Well done to the organisers, you all deserve a pat on the back.
Steve
Did you come back with an Imp then, no? Were there none for sale there Steve?

Glad you boys all had a top time! Shame I couldnt make it this year! Gutted... :oops:
Me too. Next year, though. IN MY CHAMOIS!!! :lol: :lol:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

back to Dorset

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:40 pm

thanks to all the guy's in Scotland, and to all those that attended it was a top national.

well done from the Dorset guy's and girls, can't wait for next years
Keith
Dorset ACO
rootes

Post by rootes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 am

617sqn wrote:I've only had the pleasure of 4 Nationals, but, yes...This has to be the best so far. And wasn't Jim Fraser just a brilliant host (despite taking the michael out of our ACO at every opportunity :D ).
And sounds like Ken Bruce ;-) was just waiting for Jim to break into a round of Pop Master!